Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

JfishPirate posted:

13 is definitely the answer. The only halfway decent episode in Season 13 is Weekend at Burnsie's. Every other episode is awful, with some of the lowlights of the series, like the one where Bart and Homer are tied together and the one where they get framed for murder. Season 13 marked the departure of Mike Scully as showrunner, with Al Jean replacing him. Jean is still the showrunner today, so there probably won't be any chance of recovery unless someone replaces him.

I'm not sure what a Simpsons recovery would even look like. The show originally caught fire for how different it was from tv orthodoxy, but now it IS tv orthodoxy. Nearly every sitcom on tv, and certainly every animated sitcom use the Simpsons template as a jumping off point. Trying to "reinvigorate" the Simpsons would be like trying to remake I Love Lucy. It's a product of its time, it really can't be divorced from the cultural context of the 1990s.

The characters have reached the point that they're cultural icons on par with something like Mickey Mouse or the Looney Tunes, and like those characters, you reach a point where it's impossible to inject any kind of life into them anymore. Our vision of them is so solidified that they're not allowed to surprise us anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

General Dog posted:

I'm not sure what a Simpsons recovery would even look like. The show originally caught fire for how different it was from tv orthodoxy, but now it IS tv orthodoxy. Nearly every sitcom on tv, and certainly every animated sitcom use the Simpsons template as a jumping off point. Trying to "reinvigorate" the Simpsons would be like trying to remake I Love Lucy. It's a product of its time, it really can't be divorced from the cultural context of the 1990s.

The characters have reached the point that they're cultural icons on par with something like Mickey Mouse or the Looney Tunes, and like those characters, you reach a point where it's impossible to inject any kind of life into them anymore. Our vision of them is so solidified that they're not allowed to surprise us anymore.

I think the problem with the Simpsons is that it's been bad for so long that it's more like Wheel of Fortune, something to watch for 30 minutes because nothing else is on.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think if the Simpsons post-season 10 existed in a vacuum as its own show, the first ten seasons never existed, nobody would think it was the worst show on television or anything, it would generally just be though of as okay (questions of why it's so popular or why it's lasted so long set aside).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

General Dog posted:

I think if the Simpsons post-season 10 existed in a vacuum as its own show, the first ten seasons never existed, nobody would think it was the worst show on television or anything, it would generally just be though of as okay (questions of why it's so popular or why it's lasted so long set aside).

I think that if the first 10 seasons didn't exist, the Simpsons wouldn't have lasted more than 2 seasons.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I think that if the first 10 seasons didn't exist, the Simpsons wouldn't have lasted more than 2 seasons.

If season 11 premiered in 1999 you're probably right. If a show comparable in quality to the average of season 11 to present day premiered in 1989, people would probably still have been pretty blown away by it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

General Dog posted:

I kind of liked the Irish Krusty bit at the end

i was going to say that the irish bit was the only part that i could see being funny in the hands of competent writers

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A Simpsons recovery involves them aging the characters and setting and everyone would hate that.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
After 60 pages, it's pretty clear that the lowest point of the Simpsons was either Lena Dunham rapes Homer, or whatever random Season 11-13 episode finally made you stop watching. So to switch it up a bit, what's the lowest point of "Golden Age" Simpsons?

Mine would probably have to be "Rosebud", which is really a testament to how great the show was, because there's still like half a dozen great jokes and my greatest criticism is that's kinda boring.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Simpsons can't recover, it has spawned too many bad seasons, and there are nearly twice as many bad seasons as there are good.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Sheriff posted:

After 60 pages, it's pretty clear that the lowest point of the Simpsons was either Lena Dunham rapes Homer, or whatever random Season 11-13 episode finally made you stop watching. So to switch it up a bit, what's the lowest point of "Golden Age" Simpsons?

Mine would probably have to be "Rosebud", which is really a testament to how great the show was, because there's still like half a dozen great jokes and my greatest criticism is that's kinda boring.

Golden age was so good that when they were forced to do a crossover episode to promote 'the Critic' it was actually good.
I wouldn't have known it was a crossover (don't think the critic aired in my country) if not for the jokes they made about lame crossovers.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Actual lowest point was probably the clip shows. Acknowledging :effort: doesn't excuse :effort:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A Simpsons recovery involves them aging the characters and setting and everyone would hate that.

I could see them doing that for a season as a one-off, but I don't think it would be much more than a gimmick unless the characters have actually evolved in a meaningful way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
a simpsons recovery is them putting it out of its misery

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

bitterandtwisted posted:

Actual lowest point was probably the clip shows. Acknowledging :effort: doesn't excuse :effort:

IIRC they were forced by Fox to do the clip shows, and fox wanted something like every fifth episode to be a clip show or something ridiculous like that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

54 40 or gently caress posted:

IIRC they were forced by Fox to do the clip shows, and fox wanted something like every fifth episode to be a clip show or something ridiculous like that.

Fox also wanted Futurama just to be The Simpsons 2, so they could reuse elements.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

This is half a pretty good analysis of the styles of the different showrunners and half a look into all the madness you probably missed if you checked out long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCZSBiBcsw

this is the most shameless and obnoxious clickbait ive ever seen dude

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

Golden age was so good that when they were forced to do a crossover episode to promote 'the Critic' it was actually good.
I wouldn't have known it was a crossover (don't think the critic aired in my country) if not for the jokes they made about lame crossovers.

I legitimately didn't know it was a crossover with another cartoon for years. I just assumed it was a movie critic I had never heard of.

That was such a good episode. All the film festival entrants were memorably funny (especially Barney's masterpiece, Pukeahontas), Mister Burns cheats outrageously, even the one joke about celebrities being gay hasn't aged as terribly as every other similar instance.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I find it so weird that matt groening hated it so much, because as far as crossovers go it's hilarious.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i don't know if matt groening hated it as much as he resented being forced to do it

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The critic isn't perfect, and has it's flaws, but it is also loving good and you should watch it

ALL HAIL DUKE

DUKE IS LIFE

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Johnny Aztec posted:

The critic isn't perfect, and has it's flaws, but it is also loving good and you should watch it

ALL HAIL DUKE

DUKE IS LIFE

It was something like only 2 seasons, but those 2 seasons are actually not that bad if you can get past the animation and dated references. That style of humor is something I've always enjoyed, but had a hard time finding in other places.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

nigga crab pollock posted:

this is the most shameless and obnoxious clickbait ive ever seen dude

it doesn't really fit the definition of clickbait but ok

the "fall of The Simpsons" video linked a few pages ago is admittedly much better.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
the critic is loving incredible and I still appreciate the dated references to this day

also any time Guernica is mentioned in other media, I immediately think back to "Take that, Guernica!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it was when homer went frm being a monstrously obese american man to not even fat by american standards

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshem5ejOh8

New England, you're going back to old England!

e. The Clinton joke here always gets me, every god drat time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikZEio9pet4

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jose posted:

it was when homer went frm being a monstrously obese american man to not even fat by american standards

Tbf this is more the lowest point of America rather than being the fault of the Simpsons

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Code Jockey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshem5ejOh8

New England, you're going back to old England!

e. The Clinton joke here always gets me, every god drat time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikZEio9pet4

Here's some of the good bits. Although honestly there's more to it than just these scenes, it's all worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-NhOHHVvk

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

it doesn't really fit the definition of clickbait but ok

the "fall of The Simpsons" video linked a few pages ago is admittedly much better.

:smuggo:

You're drat right!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, the episode where they split the school into boys and girls school is pretty terrible. :biotruths:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

skasion posted:

Tbf this is more the lowest point of America rather than being the fault of the Simpsons

reminder that in the epsiode where Homer gains so much weight he wears a mu-mu, he wears less than 350.
His " Normal" weight is around 230.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Johnny Aztec posted:

reminder that in the epsiode where Homer gains so much weight he wears a mu-mu, he wears less than 350.

Coming up next week on The Simpsons, Homer posts a shirtless photo online and is attacked for being so skinny and fat shaming.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

He's short, though, isn't he? That would make sense if he's like 5'6"

Heh, I just :google:d it and he's supposed to be six feet. His weight goes from 239 to 315 in the disability episode.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

the 138th episode spectacular or whatever is great if that counts as a clip show but that's basically just phil hartman being phil hartman.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

berth ell pup posted:

the 138th episode spectacular or whatever is great if that counts as a clip show but that's basically just phil hartman being phil hartman.

Well a lot of that was deleted scenes and original Tracey Ullman shorts, so stuff viewers typically don't see from aired episodes. In fact they wouldn't have been available at all up until the era of DVD extras (and even still, I can't think of anywhere to find the original Tracey Ullman shorts).

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
drat straight, Troy my man

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I wonder what timeframe Hartman was thinking of in 1997 as "the time the show becomes unprofitable."

Do you think he thought it would be around in 2017 with no sign of stopping?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

berth ell pup posted:

I wonder what timeframe Hartman was thinking of in 1997 as "the time the show becomes unprofitable."

Do you think he thought it would be around in 2017 with no sign of stopping?

Phil Hartman was shot by his wife.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Wizard Master posted:

Phil Hartman was shot by his wife.

i know

in a way she saved him while also providing us with a good barometer for simpsons judging. if it contains phil hartman it's going to be pretty good.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

The first clip show had a first act that was entirely new footage, and I think the second clip show was made in something like two weeks. They're pretty good considering the circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

berth ell pup posted:

i know

in a way she saved him while also providing us with a good barometer for simpsons judging. if it contains phil hartman it's going to be pretty good.

i mean...if you really think about it in a 6 degrees of separation way...andy dick ruined the simpsons...