Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cingulate posted:

... why? That seems odd. I know everything is different between here and the US, but the idea that a job application would be required to include a statement about ones race sounds quite racist to me.

Most jobs at large companies have you fill out a survey that asks your race. It's not part of the application and isn't seen by the same people as the application and is part of legal tracking of applications vs hires but it's something you are sure to hear about from every racist who has the absolutely idiotic idea that it's a thing you fill out so they can avoid hiring whites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Covok posted:

I mean, I can make the same argument about being an accountant and I can still tell you about many out-of-work accountants or underemployed accountants. And that's not getting into the number of suicidal accountants.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but I firmly believe the notion that everything is fine if you get the right degree is total bullshit that is fed to the populace to make everyone complacent with our shity system and blame people who are experiencing troubles economically for "making the wrong choice."

What region are you in? I'm a CPA in the southwest and there's accounting jobs galore. If you're willing to work in public accounting you can be horrendously inept and never be unemployed/underemployed. But then again the suicidial thing you mentioned...

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Now I'm confused if I'm loving myself or helping myself when I lie about my status as mixed race.
There you have your answer!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Most jobs at large companies have you fill out a survey that asks your race. It's not part of the application and isn't seen by the same people as the application and is part of legal tracking of applications vs hires but it's something you are sure to hear about from every racist who has the absolutely idiotic idea that it's a thing you fill out so they can avoid hiring whites.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Cingulate posted:

I haven't thought about this really, but wouldn't it be better to ask for that after you've hired the person?

No because then employers could say "well we only hired white people because only white people applied!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

vaginite posted:

What region are you in? I'm a CPA in the southwest and there's accounting jobs galore. If you're willing to work in public accounting you can be horrendously inept and never be unemployed/underemployed. But then again the suicidial thing you mentioned...

Northeast, just outside New York City and I have and do work in New York City as well. And it's not that there aren't jobs, but that jobs never call back. And I'm really not sure why. I got Big 4 experience, I got experience running my own business, and etc. etc. I just can't understand why no one ever follows up.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Oh thank goodness. I kept thinking the job provider sees that poo poo. Guess I can just be honest because it literally doesn't matter to the application process.

Now, I wonder if my last name is making them think funny of me...

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

aware of dog posted:

No because then employers could say "well we only hired white people because only white people applied!"
Ah, so it's checked if corporations disproportionally (refuse to) hire some race, compared to their presence in the applications? I guess that makes sense then.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I haven't thought about this really, but wouldn't it be better to ask for that after you've hired the person?

They do both. There were complaints that companies weren't hiring minorities in proportion to their overall population, but the companies responded that they were hiring minorities or other under-represented groups in proportion to the rate they applied for the jobs.

So they have to submit data on both applicants and hires.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Deteriorata posted:

They do both. There were complaints that companies weren't hiring minorities in proportion to their overall population, but the companies responded that they were hiring minorities or other under-represented groups in proportion to the rate they applied for the jobs.

So they have to submit data on both applicants and hires.

That's actually a good idea and a good way to forced racists to not discriminate. Too bad the guys in charge of the government now probably ignore such discrepancies between "applied" and "hired."

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

Northeast, just outside New York City and I have and do work in New York City as well. And it's not that there aren't jobs, but that jobs never call back. And I'm really not sure why. I got Big 4 experience, I got experience running my own business, and etc. etc. I just can't understand why no one ever follows up.

Oh thank goodness. I kept thinking the job provider sees that poo poo. Guess I can just be honest because it literally doesn't matter to the application process.

Now, I wonder if my last name is making them think funny of me...
There's some studies on application success and last names. I think the main take-home message was, for some jobs, your name shouldn't signal the wrong class. So try to have a "von" in your name if possible. Marry into royalty if you can.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

This world sucks.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I just read on Wikipedia Americans have a strong aversion to organ meat. Is that true? Does the idea of eating chicken stomachs or hearts gross you out? Chancellor Helmut Kohl, leader of Germany for 16 years, famously loved Saumagen - pig's stomach. Has Trump ever eaten a stomach?

Organ meat used to be more popular. I'm not sure why it's less common now.

My Chinese coworkers thought it was crazy that we don't eat chicken wing tips and pigs' feet. I thought they were weird for eating entire unpeeled oranges like you would an apple.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Some of us had to sit through an anime debate that led to a lot of weird racism about Japan, you can wait. :mad:
Sorry. :(

In my defense, my contribution to that derail was based on the fact that Covok mentioned an Anime where one of my friends works on. I think any racism beyond what's displayed by some babies is harmful and shouldn't be a thing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

mcmagic posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/22/trumps-team-and-lawmakers-making-strides-on-tax-reform-plan-241873

Their failure to pass tax reform will be even more hilarious than their failure to repeal and replace the ACA. There is something in here for everyone to hate!

quote:

There is broad consensus, according to five sources familiar with the behind-the-scenes talks, on some of the best ways to pay for cutting both the individual and corporate tax rates.

The options include capping the mortgage interest deduction for homeowners; scrapping people's ability to deduct state and local taxes; and eliminating businesses' ability to deduct interest

Holy gently caress, they're gonna collapse the economy and housing bubble to pay for 1%er tax cuts

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I know the only reason I could even get employers to look at my resume is my name, Whitey Mayonnaise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Cingulate posted:

There's some studies on application success and last names. I think the main take-home message was, for some jobs, your name shouldn't signal the wrong class. So try to have a "von" in your name if possible. Marry into royalty if you can.

I mean, I do TECHNICALLY come from Spanish nobility through a bastard child and we do have a family crest, but a lot of people have the last name.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Uneducated guess: at some point, it became viewed as food of the underclass. Perhaps because those pieces of the animal were given to slaves to eat.

The Glumslinger posted:

Holy gently caress, they're gonna collapse the economy and housing bubble to pay for 1%er tax cuts

WOAH...I should have read that article instead of jobchat. Yeah, take it from a loser who studied this poo poo, that will gently caress the economy, hard.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
When I was younger I asked my father, who was the smartest man I knew, what the answer to fixing the tax system was and he put his meaty paw on my shoulder and said 12% flat tax thanks pops

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My Chinese coworkers thought it was crazy that we don't eat chicken wing tips and pigs' feet. I thought they were weird for eating entire unpeeled oranges like you would an apple.
Yeah I remember some story about chicken feet being a delicacy in China having saved the US chicken industry.

I've eaten some micro mandarins with skin, but they were a different breed. Skin tasted good. Here, the skin is poisonous I think, due to the preparation?

Covok posted:

I mean, I do TECHNICALLY come from Spanish nobility through a bastard child and we do have a family crest
gently caress yeah, put that on your resume.

Covok posted:

Uneducated guess: at some point, it became viewed as food of the underclass.
Yes, that's what happened in Europe too. But you still eat it. Rarely though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The opposite happened in the UK at least with oysters - they used to very much be 'the poor mans food', but as they got rarer and rarer they turned into a delicacy.

Regarding job applications - the demographic data is stripped out and never makes it to the hiring manager.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

I'm white but also a woman so I think that makes things neutral.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh man, I selfishly hope they do it cause I'd love to see the GOP get skullfucked for ruining everything. On the other hand, everything would be ruined, so v:v:v

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

This seems like poo poo that will hit middle class people instead of just the poor.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Red Oktober posted:

The opposite happened in the UK at least with oysters - they used to very much be 'the poor mans food', but as they got rarer and rarer they turned into a delicacy.
Lobster and salmon have a similar story. Lobster used to be prison food cause it was so gross.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Blitz7x posted:

When I was younger I asked my father, who was the smartest man I knew, what the answer to fixing the tax system was and he put his meaty paw on my shoulder and said 12% flat tax thanks pops

Not even going into how stupid flat taxes are, but I remember a study once showing that to just replace the current amount of tax revenue, a flat tax would need to be somewhere between 30% and 40%.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
covok's job application is just the words "as a black man..." and a photo of him riding the teacups at disneyland

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

Hahahaha oh wow.

This is a massive undisguised upward transfer of wealth that anyone making 50 to 250 a year household income is going to feel very quickly.

Just loving go for it, fellas.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

aware of dog posted:

Not even going into how stupid flat taxes are, but I remember a study once showing that to just replace the current amount of tax revenue, a flat tax would need to be somewhere between 30% and 40%.

well we'll just have to cut spending then, duh. Except for the military of course.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Just make it illegal to make less than $500k per person already and get it over with.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Covok posted:

Companies are generally real real serious about keeping it separate, if someone can show the data is even accessible to the hiring people the law allows every applicant to sue for an industry standard salary for the job they didn't get and since jobs can get hundreds of applicants that is potentially a really huge fine for messing up and anyone using that form improperly is supposed to be extremely illegal.

At the same time I imagine casual glances at both forms in an envelope do probably happen, and are impossible to prove. But if a company was lining up resumes and the surveys in the hiring meetings and they ever got caught it'd be really extremely illegal and would have a huge fine and so companies generally are very serious about keeping them separate and also very showy about showing off how separate they can keep them. Like making sure they mail to physically separate buildings and stuff.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

vaginite posted:

Good to know this, I'm a pretty terrible CPA.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Cingulate posted:

Lobster and salmon have a similar story. Lobster used to be prison food cause it was so gross.

Yeah, lobster was hard to keep tasty before modern refrigeration, so they would get served rotting lobster mush

Delcious :barf:

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Remember also and this is somehow neither a joke nor a weirdo conspiracy - but the stock market is presently flush and bubbled with money sloshed into stocks and kept there by our investment class in the event of a tax cut on hugh income llc funneled income and capital / interest.

There's a correction coming and a little baby market crash baked into the conclusion of the upcoming gently caress working prole tax reform. This is going to be fun to watch, them trying to sell a tax hike on working folks to pay for a marginal and corporate funneled tax cut for the investment rentiers.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lightning Lord posted:

Just make it illegal to make less than $500k per person already and get it over with.

A reverse Huey Long, I like hate it

Covok
May 27, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

I know you're being humorous, but flat tax or "simple taxes" confound me. They are literally THE WORST systems.

Taxes can't be "simple" because business is complex and always trying to gently caress over the common man and have experts (well, I would say like me, but I'm a loving idiot) trying to find the best way to do it. You need it to be complex to close loopholes as well as deal with the complex realities of business. I would LOVE to stand in front of all those "taxes need to be simple" guys and explain the structure, tax situation, and nature of taxation of an international alternative investment company (I worked on them for years) and then show them how much bullshit they could get away with under a "simple" system.

Or, since they LOVE state rights, explain the concept of nexus and whether they are taxed based on if they were produced there or if the service/end-user exists there (I forget the terms for them at the moment and don't feel like looking them up) and how international software is a loving blackbox in this regard and then explain the complex politics behind this all and why it can't be "simple."

Also, if taxes are meant to influence behavior it can lead to weird complex things that, at the same time, most people probably don't complain about. The fact your company gets 50 cents back on every dollars, sort of, whenever they spend money to entertain or feed you, sort of, is something most people likely won't complain about. Tax is a powerful tool and ignoring that is a waste.

I mean, for individual taxes, it's already "simple" as far as the average man is concerned. All that complex poo poo is only for the rich. The amount of times people have asked me how to save money on taxes or "the one weird trick" to pay nothing and I've had to look at them dead-faced and go "there is no trick: chances are you are paying the exact amount you're entitled to, baring some amazing oversight on your part."

And flat tax is a loving joke. I would love showing them how much they would get hosed under that system. "Hey, you pay this much...but you only make this much so gently caress getting anything to eat sucker while richie mcrich is burning hundos to light his cigars on a yaht!"

Hellblazer187 posted:

Good to know this, I'm a pretty terrible CPA.

Same.

Randbrick posted:

Remember also and this is somehow neither a joke nor a weirdo conspiracy - but the stock market is presently flush and bubbled with money sloshed into stocks and kept there by our investment class in the event of a tax cut on hugh income llc funneled income and capital / interest.

There's a correction coming and a little baby market crash baked into the conclusion of the upcoming gently caress working prole tax reform. This is going to be fun to watch, them trying to sell a tax hike on working folks to pay for a marginal and corporate funneled tax cut for the investment rentiers.

Yeah, there is a shocking number of people who haven't realized the DOW is only going up because people really, really think that Trump will ruin everything even worse so they can rape the riches of a world that cares not for anyone but the ultra rich. If he can't deliver that, ooooh boy. The correction will be harsh.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Companies are generally real real serious about keeping it separate, if someone can show the data is even accessible to the hiring people the law allows every applicant to sue for an industry standard salary for the job they didn't get and since jobs can get hundreds of applicants that is potentially a really huge fine for messing up and anyone using that form improperly is supposed to be extremely illegal.

At the same time I imagine casual glances at both forms in an envelope do probably happen, and are impossible to prove. But if a company was lining up resumes and the surveys in the hiring meetings and they ever got caught it'd be really extremely illegal and would have a huge fine and so companies generally are very serious about keeping them separate and also very showy about showing off how separate they can keep them. Like making sure they mail to physically separate buildings and stuff.

Yeah, they probably are not looking at the data then. Holy crap, they really thought this one through. I'm shocked at the sign of competency from the American government.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 22, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fitzy Fitz posted:

One of my favorite stories about the history of technology is the absurd and convoluted reason americas won't eat lard.

Like proctor and gamble (the men) bought up a huge amount of palm farms to corner the market on palm oil to make a huge candle empire, then like a year later electric lights got invented and everyone was like "lol, nah" to palm candles. So they held a bunch of contests to have someone find new uses of palm oil until someone invented crisco. But no one gave a gently caress about crisco for years and it was a nothing product no one bought.

Then radio got invented and crisco was basically the first thing ever advertised with a real ad campaign instead of just random shout outs to products. And the campaign was that lard was gross and dirty and crisco was clean and white and made of science and modern like a radio. So like now, a hundred years later all of america is still under the spell of the first radio ad campaign and still think of lard as something gross and dirty and abstractly dangerous. Like everyone will eat stuff "cooked in bacon fat" and fries in tallow, but lard is seen as some dangerous dirty thing that will make for fat and gross and stinky and most people treat it like poison.

So like electric lights took away someone's candle business and then later they used the invention of radio to ruin lard for an eon.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 22, 2017

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
What can I do to reduce the damage that will be done to me when the stock market finally does crash? I don't want to see another complete collapse of my mutual funds again like in 2008. I'm pretty bad with money

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RiggenBlaque posted:

What can I do to reduce the damage that will be done to me when the stock market finally does crash? I don't want to see another complete collapse of my mutual funds again like in 2008. I'm pretty bad with money

invest in Bitcoin

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Amused to Death posted:

So how many outlets will be falling over themselves this morning to praise the new and presidential Donald Trump for the speech that highlighted nothing
Many. Morning Joe is going full :a2m:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RiggenBlaque posted:

Do nothing. You aren't supposed to touch those until retirement anyway. The market will recover. Just walk away.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

RiggenBlaque posted:

Put it in a diversified index fund that includes both stocks and bonds, and hang on for dear life. Whatever you do, don't try to sell when the market is crashing.

If you put a bunch of money in at the peak of the stock market in 2008, and left it in until today, you'd be doing pretty well. If you'd pumped money in on the downward slide, you'd be doing very well. The people who lost their shirts were the ones who panic-sold, realized losses, and then had to re-buy their investments when they'd gone up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Andrast posted:

invest in Bitcoin

So move all my mutual fund money into where I keep my son's college fund, got it

• Locked thread