Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Memento posted:

They've started finding them in the flooded compartments. There's really no other way "10 sailors missing after collision" ends, is there.

Unfortunately not. They got hit right where there's an overflow berthing usually used for khakis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

The guy who took my spot in our company was a ranger qualified hard-charging west point grad with a wife at home. On the unit's next deployment, after I left, he took a sniper round to the pelvis. He got medically retired and he can barely walk now.

Do they call him reverse cowgirl now?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Zeris posted:

The guy who took my spot in our company was a ranger qualified hard-charging west point grad with a wife at home. On the unit's next deployment, after I left, he took a sniper round to the pelvis. He got medically retired and he can barely walk now.

Well. He could barely walk before with that big dick of his too.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
He was actually a really nice dude, good to soldiers, etc. In war movies, this would be the guy who exists to get shot early on so that the main character has a moral excuse for going overboard killing the nazis or VC or whatever. Except in real life there is no main character, just me feeling kind of bad and a guy whose got the rest of his life to wish he had a body that worked correctly.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zeris posted:

He was actually a really nice dude, good to soldiers, etc. In war movies, this would be the guy who exists to get shot early on so that the main character has a moral excuse for going overboard killing the nazis or VC or whatever. Except in real life there is no main character, just me feeling kind of bad and a guy whose got the rest of his life to wish he had a body that worked correctly.

:smith:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Zeris posted:

Yeah. I know a complete poo poo bag that had two Purple Hearts and that's essentially what he made his "career" from. I always take them with a grain of salt but your friend sounds cool and I can relate to

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Memento posted:

They've started finding them in the flooded compartments. There's really no other way "10 sailors missing after collision" ends, is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKL11BavG0U
If any of them was a cook, there's hope

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Zeris posted:

About two months before the chopper went down, I got transferred to another unit. The guy who took my exact position was on the chopper with my entire team.

I was beyond pissed off when I got transferred too.

Talk about "what if"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

One of my friends was scheduled to work on 9/11 but he switched shifts with another firefighter so he could study for the LT exam.

Every single person on his truck was killed that morning.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:staredog:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Smiling Jack posted:

One of my friends was scheduled to work on 9/11 but he switched shifts with another firefighter so he could study for the LT exam.

loving hell

Apparently Seth McFarlane was supposed to be on American Airlines Flight 11, but didn't make it to the airport because he was hung over.

The moral of this story is never don't be drinking.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i was supposed to have a normal civilian life but by happenstance i joined the army

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Let's Talk About Idiots! (It's EBB.)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Memento posted:

Apparently Seth McFarlane was supposed to be on American Airlines Flight 11, but didn't make it to the airport because he was hung over.

The moral of this story is never don't be drinking.

Nah it goes both ways. A business partner of my father was supposed to be on Pan Am 103 (spoiler: it blew up) but changed for an earlier flight.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My appendix was set to rupture as I was flying over the Atlantic. I had a very fast onset of appendicitis. Had it been normal, it would have taken a few days to get near rupturing.

They called an ambulance for me as they were casing the colors and they left a few days after.

Hearing your doc tell you "well, you almost died before you made it over there. Funny huh?"

That's probably the closest I've ever really felt to death? Well that and again, being told by a doctor that I almost died in surgery has made subsequent surgeries loving scary as hell. Like before I was like Bender from Futurama. "gently caress yeah, cut me up give me some of that knock out kongzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz " but since then I have to have some anxiety med because when I come to I wig the gently caress out. Like I come out of sleep in full blown panic attack mode.

Appendix though...The whole time I thought it was Korean food and I got food poisoning which was bunk because the place was legit as gently caress. So I kept walking around telling everyone I had really bad gas or something and was walking and straining real hard trying to fart so goddamn bad. And for the ceremony, I was reserve color guard so my whole job was to stay hidden. People were calling me out for faking and ditching on deployment (someone had literally just gotten pregnant so they wouldn't go) and when they found out it was real, they bought me flowers.

I also had a doctor forget to give me antibiotics so when my wife was giving birth, I was asking for pain killers looking like a junkie until the nurse (German) looked at my leg and saw the surgery site and it was all loving nasty and she was like "brb" in German and went out and got me a painkiller you stick up your butt. So my wife is talking to this nurse in English, who doesn't understand much English, so I'm trying my broken German and google and butchering it, while my mother-in-law is screaming in Albanian because what the gently caress is on my leg, and the whole thing was really loving stupid.

Then my kid got born.

Doctors in general don't like me?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Doctors are assholes that totally think they know the best, even when they do not.

So like, the farther a doctor is from actual doctor things the better chance they know nothing.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

tastefully arranged labia posted:

i was supposed to have a normal civilian life but by happenstance i joined the army

i was supposed to be a scientist but then obama had to ruin the economy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Smiling Jack posted:

gently caress

and i thought my survivor's guilt was bad

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

gently caress

and i thought my survivor's guilt was bad

Yeah it weighs pretty heavy on him

Plus the various workers / first responders are dropping like flies from post 9/11 cancer so there's always a new funeral to keep the memory fresh

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah it weighs pretty heavy on him

Plus the various workers / first responders are dropping like flies from post 9/11 cancer so there's always a new funeral to keep the memory fresh

There has to be something like the burn pit registry for these guys.

I know this seems stupid, but my cousin just became a cop and we haven't talked in years, but I wrote him to congratulate him and told him that if he ever needed to talk to someone outside of his CoC or whatever to hit me up. I could never imagine the crazy first responders see. I've heard stories, some funny, some gross, some sexy, some all of the above, but I could literally never do it. The stress is fine, it's just always the gore. And poop. Oh god the poop.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

I know Jon Stewart was/is fighting really hard to get 9/11 first responders taken care of. He had a bunch on the daily show like ten years ago, and then several years after invited them back, but only a few of the original group showed up because the rest had died of 9/11-related issues.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Republicans: When those guys were running into the burning towers the first thing that was going through their mind was clearly "This will be a great bemefits scam!"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Soulex posted:

I know this seems stupid, but my cousin just became a cop and we haven't talked in years, but I wrote him to congratulate him and told him that if he ever needed to talk to someone outside of his CoC or whatever to hit me up. I could never imagine the crazy first responders see. I've heard stories, some funny, some gross, some sexy, some all of the above, but I could literally never do it. The stress is fine, it's just always the gore. And poop. Oh god the poop.

I had about a months worth of nightmares years after a traumatic incident but they seem to have stopped.

There's an extensive registry for 9/11 workers and residents but it dosen't cure you.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Re: 9/11 responders

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Zadroga_9/11_Health_and_Compensation_Act

The death toll from responder lung diseases is expected to exceed day-of fatalities by 2020.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 23, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

shame on an IGA posted:

Re: 9/11 responders

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Zadroga_9/11_Health_and_Compensation_Act

The death toll from responder lung diseases is expected to exceed day-of fatalities by 2020.

It did that a long time ago for the NYPD

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Republicans: When those guys were running into the burning towers the first thing that was going through their mind was clearly "This will be a great bemefits scam!"

Heroism is a pre-existing condition; it's like tightrope walking or lion taming. Why should my tax dollars go to taking care of a bunch of obvious adrenaline junkies who are in it for the hot badge bunnies and sweet benes?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Republicans are to 9/11 what Nancy Grace is to Caylee Anthony

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Soulex posted:

All the first responders I know (so like, 2) never had issues with the bodily fluids, and got extremely hosed up by the undeserved child suffering.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Dingleberry posted:

Heroism is a pre-existing condition; it's like tightrope walking or lion taming. Why should my tax dollars go to taking care of a bunch of obvious adrenaline junkies who are in it for the hot badge bunnies and sweet benes?

Badge bunnies are the worst.

Most of them look like your guys' dependapotamus.

evil_bunnY posted:

All the first responders I know (so like, 2) never had issues with the bodily fluids, and got extremely hosed up by the undeserved child suffering.

Also this. Or elder abuse.

:smith:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Soulex posted:

Yeah. You get a few of these in life. It's weird.

Yeah, thats for sure.

I had a near miss on the race track a few weeks ago, literally dumb luck that an audi S2 hit the car behind me instead of me. Ugh.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Dingleberry posted:

Heroism is a pre-existing condition

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Tends to be self-correcting, though. :smith:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
The saga of my motherfucking passport.

So the reporting instructions for my coming out here had it in bold red letters to have my official U.S government passport mailed ahead of me to begin the visa process so it could be finished or at least started before I showed up. These reporting instructions were clearly written before said country got embargoed as gently caress and lost its ambassadors to any of the countries we would actually need a passport or visa to get into. Whatever it's written in bold red loving ink and my sponsor is saying to do it.

The first sign of trouble was when I give the required forms and the passport to the med groups readiness office since the reporting instructions said to mail it and where to mail it super clearly it didn't give much guidance beyond that but they took it and said they'd send it. That was on a Tuesday and that Friday I had check on something else with them they pulled my readiness folder out and all the stuff that was supposed to be in the mail spills out of the folder onto the loving desk. I point at the stuff just sitting there and say "that's supposed to be in the mail". They awkwardly stuff it back in the folder and say they are going to get right on it.

Fast forward about a month later and the part of the team I'm on is inprocessing into the med group here and when we get to the readiness office we ask where our passports are. The look on the readiness office here's face when we told them we had our passports mailed here weeks ago was priceless. Needless to say they didn't have them and were absolutely mind blown someone would include such a fucktarded reporting instruction. Around a day or two of that though the ONLY other person who followed that rear end backwards reporting instruction gets an email that her passport was randomly found in some warehouse on the other side of base and to pick her poo poo up. Hot, tired, and jet lagged we go to get her package and she walks out only to realize that this package is actually empty so she goes back inside for them to search the bottom of the bin and find her official U.S government passport and visa application floating around the bottom of a mail bin.

So a few days after that no more emails like her's are forthcoming and I still haven't heard anything about my passport. I email the readiness office back home simply asking for the tracking number. They reply back with "it might be in Dubai". I proceed to email them multiple times asking for either a tracking number or simply any info and they just send more and more vague emails before they stop responding at all. I have to email our squadron superintendent back home for him to get a tracking number out of them and holy gently caress does this just open up a whole new can of worms.

So it turns out FedEx (not how it was supposed to mailed at all apparently) tracked the gently caress out of this package every step of the way...all the way until it was signed off at Al Udeid Air Base! Turns out the second it goes from FedEx's hands into the Air Forces though it completely disappears. Some cock sucking MSgt C. Cory was towards the end of his rotation and just stopped doing his dumb loving peon job of sorting loving mail and just a chunk of mail from a certain time frame is being written off by TMO because of this loving bitch.

So that's it there is now just an official U.S government passport floating around this base with a visa application attached but I have to shred my loving mailing labels because of terrorism. In order to apply for a new passport now I have to pay out of pocket to have a birth certificate mailed out here and hope they don't loving lose that. I did get an official apology from the lovely mail section chief though. Also the bag of chips I ordered from some random company in England managed to show up in a week so it's good to get priorities straight. I also got my own slide at the commanders briefing about how my personal info is out there now and I'm not mission ready and now the command staff hate me.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 25, 2017

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
lmfao

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cenen posted:

So that's it there is now just an official U.S government passport floating around this base with a visa application attached but I have to shred my loving mailing labels because of terrorism.

I always blew that poo poo off. loving retarded.

There's never been a compelling argument that shedding a mailing label confounded any efforts to gather any useful Intel. What are they going to do, find out I ordered more jerky and Fleshlights?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's one of those things where a little information from here combined with a little information there can equal something unpleasant. It's a reasonable security measure and not particularly difficult.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Seriously would matter to me more if my unit wasn't literally posting every movement on Facebook and we weren't all living on a 1 square mile bullseye.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Why the gently caress would you mail your passport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Smiling Jack posted:

Why the gently caress would you mail your passport