Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
These tankers gotta be hacked and hitting ships on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
McCain has held onto life longer than I thought he would, and I was supposed to make a donation in his name last week. I was a bit busy with school but here it is:

It was done as a gift in his honor, hopefully I hear from his office about it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
In FCC News: Verizon just announced that they are going to throttle every video connection to 720p Maximum on any one of their unlimited connections, showing once again that they lied about the capabilities of their network and that we need Net Neutrality.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

In FCC News: Verizon just announced that they are going to throttle every video connection to 720p Maximum on any one of their unlimited connections, showing once again that they lied about the capabilities of their network and that we need Net Neutrality.

The answer is not regulation, but more competition

*Passes laws giving massive advantages to existing monopolistic players and takes their campaign contributions in return*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Best Friends posted:

The answer is not regulation, but more competition

*Passes laws giving massive advantages to existing monopolistic players and takes their campaign contributions in return*

Don't forget under the table agreements to stifle competition by stagnating the prices between big players.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Free market will find away because you can just choose to not use them and instead use one of the other handful of providers, all who will soon follow suit. Ron Paul 2008.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FastestGunAlive posted:

Free market will find away because you can just choose to not use them and instead use one of the other handful of providers, all who will soon follow suit. Ron Paul 2008.

That violates the NAP! Sue! Sue (and force you into slavery!)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Love that new war smell.

This but unironically. The opening weeks of Odyssey Dawn were some of the happiest of my Air Force career, and one of the few times I felt that I was actually able to work with concrete goals and achieve something other than kicking a can down the road.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

This but unironically. The opening weeks of Odyssey Dawn were some of the happiest of my Air Force career, and one of the few times I felt that I was actually able to work with concrete goals and achieve something other than kicking a can down the road.

...and then it just kicked the can down the road.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Marcellus Williams is on death row in Missouri for murder.

His lawyers says new DNA evidence shows he is innocent.

He's still scheduled to be executed tonight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Hes black they wont check the evidence ofc.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

:stare:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

Hes black they wont check the evidence ofc.

In this case, "DNA" stands for "Do Not Adjudicate."

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

factual innocence is no reason for a new trial

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Smiling Jack posted:

factual innocence is no reason for a new trial

I thought you were dead, Justice Scalia.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

The DNA evidence they're banking on is that his DNA wasn't found on the murder weapon.

OTOH His DNA was found all over the poo poo stolen from her house that they found in his car :nyoron:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vengarr posted:

The DNA evidence they're banking on is that his DNA wasn't found on the murder weapon.

OTOH His DNA was found all over the poo poo stolen from her house that they found in his car :nyoron:

If there's evidence that someone you're about to execute is possibly innocent I think it's okay to maybe hear them out.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Marcellus Wallace?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

Marcellus Wallace?

Does he look like a bitch?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Does he look like a bitch?

What?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I've never enjoyed a burger or sprite before killing somebody as much as Sam Jackson did

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That's a name from Pulp Fiction.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

If there's evidence that someone you're about to execute is possibly innocent I think it's okay to maybe hear them out.

Counterpoint: exhaustion of appeals is necessary for a functional justice system.

Scalia was right, and if you are worried that the state might ever execute an innocent person, then your beef is with the existence of the death penalty itself, not with the number of appeals a petitioner is allowed.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Vengarr posted:

And that there was a different male's DNA on the weapon.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

LingcodKilla posted:

That's a name from Pulp Fiction.

:allbuttons: Holy fuckshitting Christ!! Are you serious??

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Peetown Manning posted:

How do you figure?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Woof Blitzer posted:

:allbuttons: Holy fuckshitting Christ!! Are you serious??

Is faking being whooshed considered whooshing so eone?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Does this apply to FiOS quantum as well?

e: Oh this is only wireless. Wireless providers were never covered under Net Neutrality anyway, so this isn't surprising.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I hadn't been following that case and I spent a few minutes frantically looking up what Ving Rhames had been up to. Thankfully, not about to be executed.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Peetown Manning posted:

I just don't get how they're hacking sandbars, coral reefs and rocks with Iranian military installations on them as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Some of you might recall the Accuweather CEO has called for dismantling the National Weather Service in the past so that Accuweather could turn forecasting into a for-profit only affair.

Turns out they are pretty god damned slimy:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/accuweather-caught-sending-geo-location-data-even-when-denied-access/

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

*in extremely Samuel Jackson voice* Does. He look. Like. A Bitch?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Chichevache posted:

*in extremely Samuel Jackson voice* Does. He look. Like. A Bitch?

As a German enlisted man, he killed 13 Gestapo officers.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

joat mon posted:

And that there was a different male's DNA on the weapon.

That's not exactly shocking, since the murder weapon was a butcher knife from her house.

They just issued a stay of execution to consider it, but I'm betting it won't save him.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Vengarr posted:

That's not exactly shocking, since the murder weapon was a butcher knife from her house.

They just issued a stay of execution to consider it, but I'm betting it won't save him.

Sounds like they need to get a sample of her husband's DNA and maybe run what they've got through CODIS (though the sample may not be good enough) Good thing the Gov. gave them some more time.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I always keep a certain link on my desktop for certain developments.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/glenn-simpson-key-figure-million-dollar-dossier-face/story?id=49348102

quote:

A key figure behind the so-called “dossier” featuring uncorroborated and salacious allegations about then-candidate Donald Trump’s ties to Russia will be questioned by investigators from the Senate Judiciary Committee today about the funding and sources for the document.

During last year’s heated Republican primary race, Fusion GPS, a private research firm founded by former Wall Street Journal reporter Glenn Simpson, was initially paid about a million dollars by wealthy Republicans and then later worked for Democrats, all of whom wanted to dig up dirt on Trump and plant negative news stories, according to political operatives.

Simpson, who will appear in a closed session on Capitol Hill on Tuesday, hired the former MI6 agent Christopher Steele to compile the now infamous “dossier,” which alleged that members of the Trump campaign had colluded with Russian agents to damage Hillary Clinton, Trump’s Democratic opponent.

According to people briefed on the developments, Steele has met with the FBI and provided agents with the names of his sources for the allegations in the dossier, but it is unclear how much information lawmakers will be able to obtain from Simpson this week. Attorneys for Fusion GPS have indicated to the committee that its client relationships are confidential.

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/900085461389017090

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So Much Winning

New York Times posted:

The relationship between President Trump and Senator Mitch McConnell, the majority leader, has disintegrated to the point that they have not spoken to each other in weeks, and Mr. McConnell has privately expressed uncertainty that Mr. Trump will be able to salvage his administration after a series of summer crises.

What was once an uneasy governing alliance has curdled into a feud of mutual resentment and sometimes outright hostility, complicated by the position of Mr. McConnell’s wife, Elaine L. Chao, in Mr. Trump’s cabinet, according to more than a dozen people briefed on their imperiled partnership. Angry phone calls and private badmouthing have devolved into open conflict, with the president threatening to oppose Republican senators who cross him, and Mr. McConnell mobilizing to their defense.

[...]

Former Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire, a Republican who is close to Mr. McConnell, said frustration with Mr. Trump was boiling over in the chamber. Mr. Gregg blamed the president for undermining congressional leaders, and said the House and Senate would have to govern on their own if Mr. Trump “can’t participate constructively.”

“Failure to do things like keeping the government open and passing a tax bill is the functional equivalent of playing Russian roulette with all the chambers loaded,” Mr. Gregg said.

[...]

Others in the party divide blame between Mr. Trump and Mr. McConnell. Al Hoffman, a former finance chairman of the Republican National Committee who has been supportive of Mr. McConnell, said Mr. McConnell was culpable because he has failed to deliver legislative victories. “Ultimately, it’s been Mitch’s responsibility, and I don’t think he’s done much,” Mr. Hoffman said.

But Mr. Hoffman predicted that Mr. McConnell would likely outlast the president.

“I think he’s going to blow up, self-implode,” Mr. Hoffman said of Mr. Trump. “I wouldn’t be surprised if McConnell pulls back his support of Trump and tries to go it alone.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://youtu.be/ECewrAld3zw

• Locked thread