Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I do hope that these storylines actually go to places if GRRM does finish the books. There's so much stuff cut from the actual story now (wargs, fAegon, etc etc) that it wouldn't be hard for a lot of these loose ends to properly go somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

That's some Dark Tower level bullshit if the series ends where it began with a new Night King/army of White Walkers...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Night's Bran should theoretically be a lot more powerful than some random guy who got obsidianed through the heart.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IRC we never found out who that guy even was. The show won't go into that direction anymore, so we will never find out anything about the Others' society and why they decided to move South after thousands of years. El oh el

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Going by all we've seen and the fLeaks my guess is that the night king plays 11th dimensional chess and that the plan was to replace himself with the psychically talented bran.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Going by all we've seen and the fLeaks my guess is that the night king plays 11th dimensional chess and that the plan was to replace himself with the psychically talented bran.

There've not been any psychically talented individuals in the last 8000 years then or what?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jojen flat out says that Bran is the strongest warg ever or some poo poo.

It's a kwisatz haderach situation.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I'll go with my feeling: last season spoliers felt real, these ones feel like a not so good prank
I've got the same opinion. These spoilers feel off to me in a way that the Season 7 ones didn't.

Dany dying in childbirth could be possible, I suppose, returning to Drogo in the afterlife after having a kid and doing the other prophecy/curse stuff. Her poo poo bombarded body is stupid though, and it doesn't strike me as a D&D thing to do.

Agree that the Bran stuff feels the most off, he's done nothing at all in this leak and everything in the series suggests he should be very important for the endgame. Jaime is weird too, I'd expect him either to die with Cersei or not at all. Fighting Euron... it's been sort of set up this season, maybe? Doesn't feel like a good ending for Jaime. Arya killing Cersei is lamer than Jaime doing it, but Arya does need to do something big to justify her storyline, and that could be it. On the other hand, D&D have hosed up Arya's story hard enough once she got to Braavos that she could end up doing anything.

Everyone's saying bringing back Edmure for a bunch of screentime is weird, but all the Sweetrobin scenes are stranger to me, who gives a gently caress about closure for him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If the series doesn't end with the death of dragons/magic and the ending of the weird seasons, then, boy, I don't know what. I feel like the entire thing is heading up to that, with various deaths peppered in there to make it "bittersweet" enough for GRRM.

Like, years-longs winter is not a sustainable way of living for a society. They need normal rear end seasons to be able to prosper.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Wallet Inspector posted:

I've got the same opinion. These spoilers feel off to me in a way that the Season 7 ones didn't.

Dany dying in childbirth could be possible, I suppose, returning to Drogo in the afterlife after having a kid and doing the other prophecy/curse stuff. Her poo poo bombarded body is stupid though, and it doesn't strike me as a D&D thing to do.

Agree that the Bran stuff feels the most off, he's done nothing at all in this leak and everything in the series suggests he should be very important for the endgame. Jaime is weird too, I'd expect him either to die with Cersei or not at all. Fighting Euron... it's been sort of set up this season, maybe? Doesn't feel like a good ending for Jaime. Arya killing Cersei is lamer than Jaime doing it, but Arya does need to do something big to justify her storyline, and that could be it. On the other hand, D&D have hosed up Arya's story hard enough once she got to Braavos that she could end up doing anything.

Everyone's saying bringing back Edmure for a bunch of screentime is weird, but all the Sweetrobin scenes are stranger to me, who gives a gently caress about closure for him.

Why is everyone questioning the authenticity of the spoilers if the entity who put out spoilers about season 6 and 7 ended up being correct?

Is there any reason to think he/she/they are wrong about season 8?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

some guy on the bus posted:

It's not even arguable. Dany is clearly the villain. She's the one doing an invasion of a place she knows nothing about killing thousands just so she can be queen. She's the one burning POWs alive. Not even the Freys killed prisoners.

Maybe someone can argue that there's two villains or everyone is poo poo but Dany is definitely as bad as anyone on the show now.

She even abandoned her previous kingdom to do so, because that one just wasn't fun anymore. I don't remember if the show mentions it, but the books talk about how Astapor or Yunkai or wherever has collapsed into basically a hell on earth style situation where babies are being roasted on spits. She'll get it right this time though!!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Why is everyone questioning the authenticity of the spoilers if the entity who put out spoilers about season 6 and 7 ended up being correct?

Is there any reason to think he/she/they are wrong about season 8?

R/freefolk mods claim it didn't originate from the same source nor in the same format.

Season 7 leaks came as a PDF, these ones just appeared as a text dump on 4chan.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

emanresu tnuocca posted:

R/freefolk mods claim it didn't originate from the same source nor in the same format.

Season 7 leaks came as a PDF, these ones just appeared as a text dump on 4chan.

Ok, makes total sense then.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I mean I wouldn't be surprised if the spoilers are true, but given they're taking more than a year off before beginning filming, what are the odds they actually have scripts for season 8 already?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if the spoilers are true, but given they're taking more than a year off before beginning filming, what are the odds they actually have scripts for season 8 already?

From my understanding, the scripts are completed but the actors don't have them yet, so that gives further credence to the probability that this is all lovely fan fiction.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why would they need to fight Euron at all? A Greyjoy on the throne propped up by a small mercenary army? Everyone would declare for the Targaryen regardless of who owns the capital.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Arglebargle III posted:

Why would they need to fight Euron at all? A Greyjoy on the throne propped up by a small mercenary army? Everyone would declare for the Targaryen regardless of who owns the capital.

This but Cersei.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
King's Landing seems like a shithole anyway, maybe just burn it to the ground and build a new capital. I mean a part of the city is literally called Flea rear end, how nice can it possibly be? I don't want no fleas in my rear end.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Night King just wants warging powers so he can peep on people having sex.

It's very lonely north of the wall.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

the audience tends to treat the Iron Throne as if it's the home space on a game board
which dave & dan sorta encouraged by naming the show what it's named, and by foregrounding the struggle for the throne through many of their alterations.

I've always figured the books will end with the throne vacant and the Seven Kingdoms fragmenting, as that's the equilibrium of the setting that the Targs (a near-extinct dynasty) awkwardly and briefly overturned using dragons (a near-extinct species).

but ill bet dave & dan won't do this, anticipating BSG-type backlash if they do so. The audience believes that the point of the show is who wins the game of thrones, so they must be provided with a winner of some sort.

bloom posted:

King's Landing seems like a shithole anyway, maybe just burn it to the ground and build a new capital. I mean a part of the city is literally called Flea rear end, how nice can it possibly be? I don't want no fleas in my rear end.

just move the capital to Oldtown, imho
an equally huge and economically powerful city that doesn't smell like poo poo all the time.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Holy poo poo at people actually believing those spoilers. This thread never disappoints.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jota posted:

Holy poo poo at people actually believing those spoilers. This thread never disappoints.

This exact phrase is said every time and the spoilers have been true every time

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PupsOfWar posted:

the audience tends to treat the Iron Throne as if it's the home space on a game board
which dave & dan sorta encouraged by naming the show what it's named, and by foregrounding the struggle for the throne through many of their alterations.

I've always figured the books will end with the throne vacant and the Seven Kingdoms fragmenting, as that's the equilibrium of the setting that the Targs (a near-extinct dynasty) awkwardly and briefly overturned using dragons (a near-extinct species).

but ill bet dave & dan won't do this, anticipating BSG-type backlash if they do so. The audience believes that the point of the show is who wins the game of thrones, so they must be provided with a winner of some sort.

an equally huge and economically powerful city that doesn't smell like poo poo all the time.

Even from KL the crown has trouble controlling anything north of the riverlands, moving the royal seat to Oldtown would be as good as saying the north can rule itself.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

hitchensgoespop posted:

Yeah i hope your right, and i kinda suspect they are fake.

For me though this season has really underlined how tricky it will be for GRRM to realistically finish the books, the teleporting, plot armour, forced reunions all show that wrapping this up is gonna be a bitch, and im more pessimistic than ever that the books will ever be finished.

Didnt he say that he wants his notes burnt if he dies, which if that is true is the biggest oval office move someone in that position could make.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's just embarrassed

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Honestly this season doesn't seem any more dumb than the others, with Ramsay dual-wielding, magic fairies fighting off stop-motion skeletons with Great Fireball, and all the other greatest hits. It was never a particularly 'smart' show, just a fun one.

you're comparing it to the other bad seasons lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Phi230 posted:

This exact phrase is said every time and the spoilers have been true every time

Every single time before the spoilers were leaked out when the season had almost finished production. These ones are coming out months before production starts. It's different.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

PupsOfWar posted:

This may or may not be the case now that Sam's not there to scrub out the bedpans.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

skasion posted:

Even from KL the crown has trouble controlling anything north of the riverlands, moving the royal seat to Oldtown would be as good as saying the north can rule itself.

The North is a giant shithole anyways.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
The whole goddamn show has been Lannisters vs. Starks and a bunch of idiots trying to gently caress with them and dying as a result. The final boss fight is going to be against some over the top swinging dick from some birdshit covered rocks who wasn't introduced until season 6. Checks out.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The only thing I don't buy about the spoilers is Dany dying and getting poo poo thrown at her. D&D seem to love her so I just don't see them doing something like that. Otherwise I'm willing to accept anything, no matter how dumb, as being true.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Every single time before the spoilers were leaked out when the season had almost finished production. These ones are coming out months before production starts. It's different.

This is exaggarated, the spoilers are definitely early but they're only a little early.

We know for a fact that the final scripts have already been written, moreover these spoilers are not based on the final scripts, they're based (allegedly) on the plot outlines, and we know this because we've read the plot outlines for season 7 and see that the level of detail is similar. FWIW the plot outlines for season 7 are dated to april 2016, so roughly 4 months before filming started.

Production is well underway, filming didn't start yet but it starts in a month and a half, according to some of the r\freefolk guys the leaks last year showed up right when filming started (though I can't confirm this, there are others who say they showed up when filming was already on the way).

So yeah, a little early, but not insanely so.

Additionally and I think this should be pointed out: HBO has been the target of several hacking attacks these past few months, they had a ton of data stolen and genuine episodes\scripts leaked. You guys can doubt the leaks, sure, but claiming that it's ridiculous to believe that they might be authentic is in itself a little bit ridiculous.

bloom posted:

The only thing I don't buy about the spoilers is Dany dying and getting poo poo thrown at her. D&D seem to love her so I just don't see them doing something like that. Otherwise I'm willing to accept anything, no matter how dumb, as being true.

Why are you interpreting this as D&D having a hate boner for Dany? presumably they just want people to really hate euron before his final showdown with the heroes.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just cant see euron being the final boss of the series

is there anyone thats even emotionally invested in him? the dude has had like 7 minutes of screentime

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Those 7 minutes have been amazing and refreshing compared to all the dumb poo poo going on with the other stories.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

skasion posted:

don't know if that'd be a dealbreaker, depending on the royals in question.

there's several small bits in AGOT about how the north is a kingdom unto itself and the starks are still kings in all but name - seems like everybody is comfortable with the north, sparse and isolated as it is, paying only the most perfunctory of homage.

the feeling I've always gotten is that the North could have declared independence anytime since the dragons died out, but refrained from doing so because the Starks felt some obligation to uphold Torrhen's oaths and because it's easier for them to pay some (probably not very high) taxes every year than it would be to rebuild and man Moat Cailin while getting White Harbor blockaded or slapped with tarrifs.

less that the crown has trouble controlling anything north of the riverlands, more that they already don't control anything north of the riverlands and neither side has yet decided to make a big issue of it.

though frankly "could have declared independence a long time ago if they felt like it" also applies to the Vale and Dorne, maybe even the Stormlands. Westeros is so full of strong natural barriers and impregnable ancient strongholds that probably more than half of the seven kingdoms could declare independence if they really wanted, which is one reason I believe they will fragment entirely at the end of the books.

Nail Rat posted:

This may or may not be the case now that Sam's not there to scrub out the bedpans.

the maesters clearly have a System worked out for this

i think it's Next Man Up as far as poo poo disposal goes

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Those 7 minutes have been amazing and refreshing compared to all the dumb poo poo going on with the other stories.

To Goons hate watching show yes, everyone else is enjoying the other bits like dany frying an entire army with her dragons or *sexy*jon and *sexy* Danny about to kiss on a boat.

98% of the viewers don't give two fucks about100% of the stuff people sperge about in this thread

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

hitchensgoespop posted:

To Goons hate watching show yes, everyone else is enjoying the other bits like dany frying an entire army with her dragons or *sexy*jon and *sexy* Danny about to kiss on a boat.

98% of the viewers don't give two fucks about100% of the stuff people sperge about in this thread

omg how did i not figure this out in my 14 years on these forums i've wasted my life

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The TV IV › GOT SPOILER Thread: :spergin:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

hitchensgoespop posted:

Everyone itt loved the episode with Danny fighting the Lannister army. But you go girl, you keep fighting the good fight against those neeeeaaaaaards

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
I just love the idea of the random white walker taking 3 entire years to cart Bran's dead body back on a sled to be revived.

Also Jon, Jorah, Jaime, and the Hound all dying at once in an accidental explosion lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Six months after boat sex:

Jon: Wait a fuckin' sec Dany
Dany: What
Jon: I thought you can't have babies?
Dany: I can't why
Jon: You got a baby in there dude
Dany: No I just put on a little weight
Jon: Dany