Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mindphlux posted:

so, when I was a kid I did ceramics for like 8 or so years and got pretty good. I forgot this was one of my skills until my gal and I started taking a class together several months back.

I've got my mojo back and have successfully made some really awesome serving bowls, some pretty mediocre coffee mugs, a couple sugar jars, utensil holders, etc. making a tagine and a fermenting crock are next up on my list.

would anyone be interested in a. either a thread about ceramic dishware or b. commissioning something being made? I'm just practicing now, but there's definitely a point where I can only use so many custom soup bowls or whatever, and they just start collecting around my house.

Ceramics was my favorite class in highschool. I never got good at throwing pots on the wheel, but I did get pretty good at slab and slip construction. Made a pretty geometric water pitcher that my mom still has.

Yes, new thread please, let's see your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

the answer to "should I make a new thread" is "yes," especially if you're a long time spoon goon.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I might even derail it with a conversation about the aesthetics of design as they relate to service (I spent too much time in restaurants and bars)!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, the reason I was rendering the lard this weekend is because I'm trying to clear out my deep freeze. It looks like we're moving. My fiancée has been offered to take over her family's business, which means we'll need to move down to Las Vegas. I'm furiously trying to find a job down there in the meantime (does anybody know of any jobs that involve either history and research or regulatory compliance?) so that we can begin the move. We've got a house lined up, and she grew up there so she has lots of family and friends to help make the transition easier. It's gonna be weird living without snow again.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Hey, we get snow sometimes. Last time was 2013 or so I think. All the surrounding mountains get snow during winter.

The school district here uses a lot of regulatory/compliance type jobs in inspections and design roles. If that's something you might like, see if anything is open right now: http://teachvegas.ccsd.net/

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Las Vegas is the hottest place I've ever been and I don't know how you freaks do it.

Edit: Lotus of Siam was indeed tasty tasty. Not many places I can get a meatless khao soi.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, the reason I was rendering the lard this weekend is because I'm trying to clear out my deep freeze. It looks like we're moving. My fiancée has been offered to take over her family's business, which means we'll need to move down to Las Vegas. I'm furiously trying to find a job down there in the meantime (does anybody know of any jobs that involve either history and research or regulatory compliance?) so that we can begin the move. We've got a house lined up, and she grew up there so she has lots of family and friends to help make the transition easier. It's gonna be weird living without snow again.

can we grab a drink or dinner or something next time I'm in vegas?

congrats to your family unit tho

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

gently caress yeah look me up.

I grew up in he desert northeast of la, so I know heat. 120 is like the briar patch for me.

It's just weird making a big change again. And even weirder looking for a job - it's been a reallllly long time since I had to do that. On the bright side, I will now have tacos el gordo at my beck and call. And really good Thai. And tiki lounges.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

gently caress yeah look me up.

I grew up in he desert northeast of la, so I know heat. 120 is like the briar patch for me.

It's just weird making a big change again. And even weirder looking for a job - it's been a reallllly long time since I had to do that. On the bright side, I will now have tacos el gordo at my beck and call. And really good Thai. And tiki lounges.

And hookers.

poo poo, man, I just realised I've been hanging out here since you had your first wife and were vegetarian with a Marley or similar avatar.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

therattle posted:

And hookers.

poo poo, man, I just realised I've been hanging out here since you had your first wife and were vegetarian with a Marley or similar avatar.

The internet is a strange thing. I've known most of y'all longer than I've known most people that are actively still in my life :kimchi:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It's comforting and disconcerting at the same time to realize that I've been on this dead gay forum for almost half my entire life.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yep, poo poo is weird like that.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Midniter posted:

It's comforting and disconcerting at the same time to realize that I've been on this dead gay forum for almost half my entire life.

if it's any comfort, I've hated you for probably 8-10 years based solely on your dumb as gently caress avatar and the fact that your username has a capital "T" and a capital "M". also "the", conceptually.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 19, 2017

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I too, have been on this forum for half my life (original account was regged in 05, but got banned for drunk posting, so I reregged). It's sad.

Also, I have been rewatching the sopranos. I think my husband is now sick of italian food. But everything they eat looks so so good. And I learned how to cook from my best friend's little italian nonna. So I can make pasta by hand (not that I ever do, but I can.), and love italian food. My husband is grudgingly taking a liking to it. He grew up on good southern food which is nice in the winter. Slow cooked potroast, biscuits and gravy, etc are good and all, but more winter food than summer food.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I was just at the Greek festival at the local orthodox church. Soooooo much retsina, ouzo, and loukomades. Also lamb. Why do the Greeks party so good?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GrAviTy84 posted:

The internet is a strange thing. I've known most of y'all longer than I've known most people that are actively still in my life :kimchi:

When are we going out for beer and how close are you to Torrance?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I use the cleaver you gave me all the time and I still recommend son of a gun even thought it's been like seven years and it may have closed by now.

Yes I still lurk!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I was just at the Greek festival at the local orthodox church. Soooooo much retsina, ouzo, and loukomades. Also lamb. Why do the Greeks party so good?

Greeks love to argue so the food and wine's gotta be good to keep the family from blowing up every Sunday.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Greeks love to argue so the food and wine's gotta be good to keep the family from blowing up every Sunday.
Is that how the plate smashing started too?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Was thinking of trying the guardian's take on tikka masala in the next day or two, any favorite veg. sides?
Thinking about aloo gobi or aloo muttar and some kinda saag and maybe a dal, but maybe there's something more fitting.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

if it's any comfort, I've hated you for probably 8-10 years based solely on your dumb as gently caress avatar and the fact that your username has a capital "T" and a capital "M". also "the", conceptually.

Embrace capitalization.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
for real it should at least be flipped so it's facing the posts

shameful

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

theres a will theres moe posted:

for real it should at least be flipped so it's facing the posts

shameful

As a newspaper guy in college, I support this. Pictures should always face the story.

edit: Of course with a newspaper, we would have to find a new photo. Flipping a picture would get you fired.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I flipped my avatar because I have no journalistic integrity. Also because very few people have seen the source so probably nobody would notice.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Hauki posted:

Was thinking of trying the guardian's take on tikka masala in the next day or two, any favorite veg. sides?
Thinking about aloo gobi or aloo muttar and some kinda saag and maybe a dal, but maybe there's something more fitting.

Most of the time I just make a spiced rice, pilau or biriyani with some veg in it. If you don't want any rice I sometimes just roast some pumpkin with garum masala on it, or cauliflower with curry powder on it. Either with some green peas or cooked and lightly roasted chickpeas with some chili flakes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

I flipped my avatar because I have no journalistic integrity. Also because very few people have seen the source so probably nobody would notice.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the AP style guide says it's ok to do that on dead comedy forums.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Which Korean comic is it from?

bartolimu posted:

That poor avatar. Never recognized. Never enjoyed.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jay Carney posted:

I use the cleaver you gave me all the time and I still recommend son of a gun even thought it's been like seven years and it may have closed by now.

Yes I still lurk!

halal?! what's up man? been forever.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

When are we going out for beer and how close are you to Torrance?

not very, I'm in Moreno Valley. I'm down to beer tho

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wait... Is my avatar facing the wrong way?

It never occurred to me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

not very, I'm in Moreno Valley. I'm down to beer tho

Jesus. Isn't it hot out there?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

vermin posted:

Which Korean comic is it from?

Honestly I've had it so long I can't even remember.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Jesus. Isn't it hot out there?

hella. cheap rent though

edit: wait, didn't you come from texas? I remember having a discussion with you in IRC about whose AC bill was higher, lol

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

GrAviTy84 posted:

halal?! what's up man? been forever.

Eh not much. Just making tv and being fat. Quit drinking tho! (I'm "California sober" so I still smoke dope)

Honestly the fact that most of us are Facebook friends on this board kind of renders it a bit irrelevant. I still read BSS bc they have good posters and I like plot summaries of comics.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

hella. cheap rent though

edit: wait, didn't you come from texas? I remember having a discussion with you in IRC about whose AC bill was higher, lol

Yeah that's what I couldn't imagine living in SoCal in a hot area.

And yeah my highest AC bill was 350 bucks.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bartolimu posted:

I know my Christopher Lloyd, Barto. And my terrible, terrible, lovely animated attempts at "comedy" movies.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maggots in my trash made me realize that I really really need to get better about food waste. I often end up with chicken thigh that lasts max 5 days in the fridge but doesn't get used up, and by the time I get to it it smells and is sticky so I throw it out (guess how the maggots came about). Veggies like broccoli, salad mix, and massive bunches of cilantro go unused because I just don't use them that often. I've started collecting veggie scraps to make stock out of, but that doesn't fix the waste I end up with. Sigh.

Gordon would be ashamed of me. :negative:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Pollyanna posted:

Maggots in my trash made me realize that I really really need to get better about food waste. I often end up with chicken thigh that lasts max 5 days in the fridge but doesn't get used up, and by the time I get to it it smells and is sticky so I throw it out (guess how the maggots came about). Veggies like broccoli, salad mix, and massive bunches of cilantro go unused because I just don't use them that often. I've started collecting veggie scraps to make stock out of, but that doesn't fix the waste I end up with. Sigh.

Put your unused chicken in the freezer before it starts smelling bad. That is what you have a freezer for.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ShakerPenguin now, too? feelin like old times up in here. whatever happened to Worldmaker?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Planning your meals out for the week will help with this. You'd be surprised and ashamed at how much money you're throwing down the drain if you were to really analyze the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, plan your meals. I am guilty of 999999 food waste, but if I took the time to plan my meals, and had the willpower to eat 100% of my leftovers, I would waste basically nothing.

The leftovers struggle is real tho...