Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I am literally sad every time I make curry and it doesn't taste like Coco :smith:
My secret recipe is that I have a friend who comes from Japan once a year or so and I make him bring me boxes of Coco roux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

ALFbrot posted:

My secret recipe is that I have a friend who comes from Japan once a year or so and I make him bring me boxes of Coco roux

I tried that, but apparently my friend could only find the bagged kind that already has beef in it. :mad:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
My favorite Japanese restaurant closed (:negative:) and now I don't know when I will get to have wonderful beef tanindon again. Please, I need the best recipe you got for tanindon sauce.

Also, the same for unagi don. Or just, how can I make unagi, like, at all, it is my girlfriend's favorite food.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Unagi comes frozen in the store, you only need to put it in a toaster oven. Any asian grocer will carry it, and it comes with the sauce too. It's a great entry level sushi roll ingredient for those afraid of raw fish.

To make unagi don you p much just need rice, scallions or green onions, and an egg, maybe a little furikake as well. Katsu don is also quite easy to make and katsu keeps well cold.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 26, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Try this: https://www.justonecookbook.com/catfish-kabayaki/

It's not exactly the same because unagi is rich and fatty compared to most other fish, but a lot of the unagi flavor comes from the sauce. Unagi eels are endangered and while I won't claim I never eat them, I try to keep it to a minimum and substitute with other fish if I make it at home. Catfish works well, I bet mackerel might too--it has a distinct flavor but the fattiness would help.

Also the sauce doesn't go off for quite a while, you can make a bunch and keep it in a jar without refrigeration.

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So today I decided to try out making my own Japanese-style curry powder along the guidelines Maki posted at Just Hungry like, a decade or so ago. I decided I wanted to make about a pint, so I figured that should be about 340 g of dry ingredients. I ended up with 3 cups-ish volume-wise of some really intense-smelling curry powder. Here's the link if you're interested in following along. I didn't use all of the optional ingredients, since I want to tinker with this and come up with something tailored more to my tastes.

119 g turmeric powder
85 g coriander seeds
51 g cumin
34 g cardamom seeds
17 g black peppercorns
4 g hot chili pepper (I used whole, dried tien tsin chilis)
14 g cloves
5 g fennel seeds
3 g Ceylon cinnamon
4 g bay leaves (which turns out to be kind of a lot of bay leaves)
3 g nutmeg
2 g allspice berries

I only toasted the coriander seeds, but, if you want to toast your spices but aren't sure how to start, here's what I've done... You're going to lightly roast them in a skillet. I'd recommend any non-nonstick skillet just to avoid the risks of accidentally fuming the coating. Don't toast powders when you make a spice mix, generally speaking -- they're easy to burn. Don't toast turmeric powder, granulated garlic, or ginger powder, like, ever. You should toast most spices separately. I toasted all mine pretty lightly over medium heat, just until fragrant. I did not toast the allspice, nutmeg, or bay leaves, since toasting doesn't really add much there. Afterwards, I ground up everything and packed it in jars.

This is wonderful, thank you. I live in the boonies, and the only good store carrying Japanese curry stopped stocking it a long while back; I never got to trying to recreate it. Labor Day project ahoy!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Wrennic_26 posted:

This is wonderful, thank you. I live in the boonies, and the only good store carrying Japanese curry stopped stocking it a long while back; I never got to trying to recreate it. Labor Day project ahoy!

Just in case... When you make the curry itself, you'll still want other seasoning elements. I think that's probably what some dissatisfied people missed out on when just using curry powder rather than the roux blocks or sauce pouches. I went ahead and made a roux and used Apple, honey, soy sauce, tomato paste, and a little Worcestershire sauce to get the curry sauce where I wanted it.

When I make another batch, I will probably scale the turmeric back to 25% or less. I like this batch, though. (But I also love turmeric so????)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Wrennic_26 posted:

If you're REALLY in a pinch, you can start with curry powder and garam masala as a base and go from there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Can't agree enough things like soy sauce and Worcestershire are great to further Japanese the curry. I also use dashi in mine.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

If you're REALLY in a pinch, you can start with curry powder and garam masala as a base and go from there.

Oh yeah, definitely add garam masala. And if you're using roux cubes or whatever and not adding garam masala, please give it a try, it's wonderful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

How long does a tamagoyaki stay good in the fridge? I'm going to start making work bentos and I only want to cook on Sunday. Most things can be frozen in portions but I'm sure freezing would ruin a tamagoyaki.

It doesn't take that long to make but I'm lazy. Also I don't want to eat an entire one in every lunch.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'd err towards a day or two in the fridge before the tamagoyaki takes on the fridge flavor.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It won't spoil for a week, dunno if you consider that good or not.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

How long does a tamagoyaki stay good in the fridge? I'm going to start making work bentos and I only want to cook on Sunday. Most things can be frozen in portions but I'm sure freezing would ruin a tamagoyaki.

It doesn't take that long to make but I'm lazy. Also I don't want to eat an entire one in every lunch.

This site has tips!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One of the reasons I stopped making bentos is because the food went stale rather quickly IMO, especially tamagoyaki. I would have to wake up early each day to prepare fresh food and that's not so easy when there isn't another family member who occupies a role dedicated entirely to domestic work. Which is another discussion entirely, but it is a factor.

(Other reasons were that I had trouble finding Japanese ingredients to match the ones in the recipes I used, and that the food I made back then was bland as hell so I got sick of it. I decided to focus on learning to cook well first.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stringent posted:

It won't spoil for a week, dunno if you consider that good or not.

I was just thinking about how fried eggs get really weird in the fridge but hard/soft boiled ones are fine so I am not sure where tamagoyaki falls on that spectrum. I guess I'll just try it and see what happens.

I am surprised that site says you can freeze 'em but she usually knows what she's doing.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 5, 2017

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
So a while ago I bought "Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art" and over the past year or two I have been slowly absorbing its wisdom. This was probably the best Japanese meal I ever made (which I finished 20 minutes ago):

I had some leftover bean sprouts which I poured soy sauce and shichimi togarashi over.

I made some chilled silken tofu with scallion and bonito flakes.

I prepared a soup with broth from scratch from bonito, kombu, and dried shiitake. I strained it and added slices of the shiitake back in and added enoki.

I prepared some deep fried mackerel following this recipe and it didn't turn out like in the picture but was amazing. I live in Europe so it was plain mackerel and not horse mackerel (saba), but it still was amazing. I think mackerel is my favorite fish, and it's crazy cheap.

With the mackerel I served some shredded cabbage. I included a lemon, which I regret. I made a soy sauce/mirin/sake dipping sauce for it which was good.

I made furikake rice and totally forgot about it till the end of the meal, and didn't eat any.

~~~

I think there are two things that made this meal spectacular.

One was the soup. I always find it so hard to make a Japanese soup from scratch that tastes like it should. This one came out perfect.

The second and most important thing, I think, was the stuff I served it on. I have been gathering a variety of plates and dishes over the last few years, and I think that I deployed them in a way that made the meal much more aesthetically pleasing.

I have these nice little dishes that certain french cheeses are packaged in, and I saved them, and I also have these cool square sushi plates.

The tofu was served on 300 year old Chinese plates I bought at a second hand shop for a few euros and later had identified by a relevant ceramics historian as being 300 years old based on the signature underneath.

The soup bowls are more than a thousand years old, and were recovered from a shipwreck laden with ceramics off the coast of Indonesia. I bought them from a museum, and because there were hundreds of them and these were chipped by the archeologists they were quite cheap, around 50 bucks each or so. There is a seashell stuck to the bottom of one of them. The mushroom soup was really musty and earthy and the bowls really added to that sensory experience. It also just feels great to own a thing that is 1000 years old and use it for mundane purposes; I eat yoghurt out of them and stuff when I'm bored.

I was really impressed with the Japanese focus on ceramics and such when I lived in Japan, but now I think I'm finally starting to use that in my cooking. Feels good.

I feel like Japanese cooking (and every other element of Japanese culture) is based around practicing something over and over and not feeling satisfied until you are finally one day quite good at it. And today I reached the milestone where I finally feel like everything added up and I finally have a slight grip on Japanese cookery.

Also this meal was super cheap (though it took forever to prepare), and that makes me happy too.

twoday fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 7, 2017

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Looks good!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

twoday posted:

The soup bowls are more than a thousand years old, and were recovered from a shipwreck laden with ceramics off the coast of Indonesia. I bought them from a museum, and because there were hundreds of them and these were chipped by the archeologists they were quite cheap, around 50 bucks each or so. There is a seashell stuck to the bottom of one of them.

I cannot even begin to tell you how jealous I am.

Also, I loved your post!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I've had a bunch of Japanese ingredients for a while now but haven't put them to use, so I felt like making something at least mildly inspired...

Furikake rice, tomagoyaki, zucchini poached in mirin, sake and white miso, shichimi spiced avocado and spinach gomaae.

The tomagoyaki definitely could have used more seasoning but I didn't do dashi as I'm vegetarian so no real quick options to make a couple tablespoons worth.

Pretty happy overall though. I need to buy some appropriate dinnerware.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I've been using a California Koshihikari* for a while now, but are the imported ones (e.g., Uonuma) worth a look? They seem to be crazy expensive, so I assume the answer is no, but I thought maybe someone in this thread might have actually tried one.

*i.e., Koshihikari rice. Tamaki Gold is what the local market carries, so that's mostly what we buy.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 13, 2017

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Annual Prophet posted:

I've been using a California Koshihikari* for a while now, but are the imported ones (e.g., Uonuma) worth a look? They seem to be crazy expensive, so I assume the answer is no, but I thought maybe someone in this thread might have actually tried one.

*i.e., Koshihikari rice. Tamaki Gold is what the local market carries, so that's mostly what we buy.

I'm living near Uonuma and the rice is amazing. That being said, my older Japanese friends who have been to California said that they thought California Koshihikari was extremely delicious. I'd say skip it and get spring for some karefushi bonito flakes or sake or something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Freshness of rice is a bigger flavor difference than where it's from imo. I wouldn't waste the money on imported, California grows great Japanese rices.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Mongoose posted:

I'm living near Uonuma and the rice is amazing. That being said, my older Japanese friends who have been to California said that they thought California Koshihikari was extremely delicious. I'd say skip it and get spring for some karefushi bonito flakes or sake or something.

Grand Fromage posted:

Freshness of rice is a bigger flavor difference than where it's from imo. I wouldn't waste the money on imported, California grows great Japanese rices.

Many thanks for the feedback! More or less what I expected, so I'll hold off unless I catch a good sale where the price is about the same (which given the markup will probably never happen).

e: Now to see if I can whip up a decent tamago!

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 13, 2017

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I have some dried Udon noodles kicking around and was wondering if anyone could share a recipe that is easy to make with them. The most Japanese cooking I have done is making (poorly) made onigiri rice balls with sushi rice and nori. Also spicy tuna with canned tuna because I am a poor and live in Minnesota (no fresh saltwater fish for a decent price)

Also, any dishes I can make using Tofu? I have never tried making a tofu dish before and I would like to know if there are any good beginner dishes to try it out!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Grand Fromage posted:

On the other hand, I grew up in the SF Bay Area entirely on California rice in an Asian family, and I will very adamantly tell you that good Japanese koshihikari beats California koshihikari any day.

To this day I have two sets of rice at home, one bag of California and one imported 5kg pack imported from Japan, sold at Nijiya.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

How Rude posted:

I have some dried Udon noodles kicking around and was wondering if anyone could share a recipe that is easy to make with them. The most Japanese cooking I have done is making (poorly) made onigiri rice balls with sushi rice and nori. Also spicy tuna with canned tuna because I am a poor and live in Minnesota (no fresh saltwater fish for a decent price)

Also, any dishes I can make using Tofu? I have never tried making a tofu dish before and I would like to know if there are any good beginner dishes to try it out!

I've found Cooking With Dog on Youtube has some excellent recipes for both. In fact the first tofu dish I ever made was one of theirs- Tofu Steak With Mushrooms!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_OMJP4ouVI

Super easy, not too many ingredients, just be sure to not just use button mushrooms or anything like that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Tar_Squid posted:

I've found Cooking With Dog on Youtube has some excellent recipes for both. In fact the first tofu dish I ever made was one of theirs- Tofu Steak With Mushrooms!

Super easy, not too many ingredients, just be sure to not just use button mushrooms or anything like that.

This video is mesmerizing. I love dog

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Tar_Squid posted:

I miss Francis. :3:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I miss Francis. :3:

NO. don't tell me francis is...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
さらば Francis...

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Stringent posted:

さらば Francis...

:japan: We'll never forget you, Francis... :japan:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

NO. don't tell me francis is...

:ohdear: I'm sorry, my dude. Francis did live a good, long life for his breed, though.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Stringent posted:

さらば Francis...

Everytime I watch a new video I shed a tear. Must be hard for the owners but like said. Francis led a good dog's life. :3:

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How Rude posted:

The simplest way to eat udon is bukkake udon: just boil the noodles, drain, top with soy sauce and chopped scallions/ginger/your fave udon topping. If you want to get more fancy but still lazy as far as making dashi, etc., you can use something like this: http://www.kamadafoods.com/shop.22.php You can put just about anything in udon and it'll be legit, here is a very traditional udon dish from the area where I live: http://cookmap.com/en/recipes/shippoku-udon It's basically like udon stew with whatever you have on hand.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I am sorry about the doggo. :ohdear:

If you like catte, impeccable kitchens, and pretty knives, I love Jun's Kitchen. VERY GOOD CATTE. The omurice video is the finest food porn ever.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jun's kitchen is a superb cooking catte. I like when he hangs out on the fridge watching the prep.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I am sorry about the doggo. :ohdear:

If you like catte, impeccable kitchens, and pretty knives, I love Jun's Kitchen. VERY GOOD CATTE. The omurice video is the finest food porn ever.

Great vids, cat is good. Food is better! Aricatou

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:ohdear: I'm sorry, my dude. Francis did live a good, long life for his breed, though.

How old was he? Mini Poods and their ilk can live a fairly long while if they don't have any chronic health issues. I had a Maltesse/Poodle mix that lived to be 17. Some can get up into 19 and 20 years old even. Whatever breeding went into miniaturizing poodles also made them freaking dog Methuselah's.

But definitely RIP Francis. I hope Chef is doing OK, she seems like such a nice lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

How old was he? Mini Poods and their ilk can live a fairly long while if they don't have any chronic health issues. I had a Maltesse/Poodle mix that lived to be 17. Some can get up into 19 and 20 years old even. Whatever breeding went into miniaturizing poodles also made them freaking dog Methuselah's.

But definitely RIP Francis. I hope Chef is doing OK, she seems like such a nice lady.

Almost fifteen years, which is the breed average, if I recall correctly. The show is still running, albeit much more slowly. They added an animated Francis face which is both cute and terrifying. I don't know how to feel about it!

For content:

I'm working on a bunch of germy food projects this year, including some things from Sandor Ellix Katz's Art of Fermentation. He mentions "mitsuya," a fermented, carbonated pine soft drink served to an acquaintance while they were doing some agro-tourism in Japan. I'm wondering if it was named for Mitsuya Cider? But the recipe (if you can call it that) seems a lot like Korean sollip-cha, which can be steeped or fermented, or like the old spruce beer, albeit without hops. If anyone else has heard of this and can give some additional context, that would be pretty cool.