Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can find Nazi shitbird anywhere if you flip over enough rocks, and that bothers me more than any one example.

It's like when racist poo poo from the 30s comes up and people say that it's a product of its time. Except now "its time" is now, and it's just as poo poo as it was then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

moths posted:

You can find Nazi shitbird anywhere if you flip over enough rocks, and that bothers me more than any one example.

It's like when racist poo poo from the 30s comes up and people say that it's a product of its time. Except now "its time" is now, and it's just as poo poo as it was then.

This is ultimately why I'm not going to write them off as a company. They make a product, I like the product, and if I refused to do business with any company that had questionable politics I'd be living off the grid eating would I could kill with my own two hands. But that doesn't mean I have to play their social media games.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is ultimately why I'm not going to write them off as a company. They make a product, I like the product, and if I refused to do business with any company that had questionable politics I'd be living off the grid eating would I could kill with my own two hands. But that doesn't mean I have to play their social media games.

Same, mostly. I'll purchase their retail goods, because the modern American political climate has forced us to accept that the racists are endemic within our society. The company at least didn't equivocate away what he said, denouncing it even if they didn't terminate him. They're the best game in town at what they do, unfortunately.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is ultimately why I'm not going to write them off as a company. They make a product, I like the product, and if I refused to do business with any company that had questionable politics I'd be living off the grid eating would I could kill with my own two hands.

There are worse evils in the corporate world than Nazis.

Nestle, for example.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Atlas Hugged posted:

I will probably buy Reaper miniatures in the future since they're the largest company that does what they do with consistent quality in the product, but I will treat them like I do any other corporate entity and buy at retail. I won't be participating in their community projects because the public face they showed wasn't one I want to engage with.

I prefer my game companies to be absentminded and harmlessly incompetent, not doing their best to sweep a Nazi sympathizer under the rug.

Yeah. Screw funding their kickstarter poo poo, if I really need one of their models I'll grab it at my FLGS and at least support them, because they don't have any shitbirds on staff and ran off the last guy running Whermacht 40k IG.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm going to withdraw my pledge and look for more alternatives to Reaper products in the future. I realize this sort of stuff is more widespread than we'd probably like to think, but it's more about responding to the active decision to brush it under the rug than it is about general statistical likelihood.

Which brings me to another point. I wrote earlier that, perhaps with a very few exceptions, I don't want people to be unable to earn a living just because they are racist. If this guy were one of the faceless mooks who pulls the lever on the casting machines (Reaper probably isn't big enough to pay guys just for that, but stay with me here) it wouldn't be as big a deal. The fact that he seems to occupy a significant public-facing position and they haven't at least repudiated him is what I can't look past.

Cest la vie.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
For anyone backing out, be sure to take 30 seconds and leave a comment or better yet send an email as well stating why you are pulling your support out. Give them some small notion that their lack of response is having some impact on their bottom line.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe Matt was dumb enough to go on a juvenile trolling-spree during his company's fundraiser, not wait until a month or so later, or maybe just go onto an anonymous forums but no, use your work account during your big social-media fest.

Indolent Bastard posted:

For anyone backing out, be sure to take 30 seconds and leave a comment or better yet send an email as well stating why you are pulling your support out. Give them some small notion that their lack of response is having some impact on their bottom line.

My wife wants to just mail them a letter, nothing mean or hateful, just saying that we're disappointed as Reaper fans (and her as an American).

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 21, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

The new expansion is out... Meh.

It's getting easier to say "no thanks" to this KS with each passing day.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 22, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

More like "underwhelming-dark."

These optional expansions seem like a missed opportunity to package tightly themed bundles of similar figures. Skirmish / wargamers would eat that poo poo up in a heartbeat.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Yeah unless it has some really amazing stuff later I'm not going for that expansion, or really any of them.

I do like the Xorn but most of the rest of it is kind of dull. Why are the fungi translucent purple? Why did we need more elves with swords? Why is that dark watcher not just a beholder? Although admittedly it would make a pretty good Cacodaemon from Doom.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The Cacodemon is cool but I can just pick him up in 2019 I guess.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Did anyone check out the live stream? The giant dragon fight and the massive snake just don't interest me at all. They are statues, not gaming pieces, which is probably great for some folks, but not me.

Oh well...not backing Alt-right apologists is fine by me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm really just looking at the big plastic Bloodthirster, zombie dragon, and cargo containers at this point. And I'm on the fence about all of them.

If they hadn't gone stupid, I'd have already upped just because I like(d) Reaper as a company.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

What are you going to use the cargo containers for? Wargame terrain?

Stuff like that always seems so oddly mundane and out of place next to all the dragons and whatever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cargo containers are notoriously hard to come by for modern / near future scifi gaming. You can either pay out the nose for model railroad ones or try to track down the OOP AT-43 ones. Or people are doing them in MDF now, but those generally look kind of bad.

They make good LOS blocking terrain, and also add height to the table.

They're also great in that you can paint them with whatever logo you need to place them in your game's world. Like Wayne Enterprises for Batman, or Russian for Cold War Gone Hot, etc.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Great for RPing a PUBG dice game.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, I'm not really enthused by the big sets this time around. I may pick up the odd individual bit like the Baba Yaga hut (and maybe Baba Yaga herself if they part out the core set). I wasn't really interested in any of the 2nd one either so maybe it's like Star Trek films where only every other one is good.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Why is that dark watcher not just a beholder?

Because, your honor, we are clearly not infringing Wizards of the Coast's trademarked intellectual property.

The first part of that expansion has a ton of stuff that KS commenters have been agitating for and will probably do well enough at retail considering the non-infringing but unmistakeable ability to stand in for iconic D&D monsters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I saw people posting their wishlists but that has to be a coincidence. I mean, they wouldn't go into this with "Backers Choice" on the whiteboard, would they?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

moths posted:

I saw people posting their wishlists but that has to be a coincidence. I mean, they wouldn't go into this with "Backers Choice" on the whiteboard, would they?

They posted early in the campaign that it's 85% decided in advance, and the last 15% is kinda done, but can be influenced by backer feedback mid project

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's unfortunate, but I'm sure someone is super happy about it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I am personally just sick to death of drow but to each their own I guess.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
All I wanted was a brood dragon and instead all I got was a troll.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Atlas Hugged posted:

All I wanted was a brood dragon and instead all I got was a troll.

Would you say you got trolled?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

They posted early in the campaign that it's 85% decided in advance, and the last 15% is kinda done, but can be influenced by backer feedback mid project

To be fair when the complaints started about how the female figs all dressed like hookers, they immediately addressed it, apologized and added the female fighter group to the core set.

Now if they could only handle their shithead employees with such grace :smith:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

OptimusWang posted:

To be fair when the complaints started about how the female figs all dressed like hookers, they immediately addressed it, apologized and added the female fighter group to the core set.

Now if they could only handle their shithead employees with such grace :smith:

Maybe they could replace him with an employee made of boneseum.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Not a bad idea, at least bonesium tends to correct itself when it gets in hot water.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Not a bad idea, at least bonesium tends to correct itself when it gets in hot water.

:slowclap:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Ashcans posted:

:five:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ashcans posted:

:discourse:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Ashcans posted:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ashcans posted:

drat

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ashcans posted:

:vince:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ashcans posted:

:perfect:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I know it's a backpat dogpile but that was an outstanding one, kudos

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would like to announce my retirement from posting, because clearly that was my peak.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Clicked thinking there was some big update

Was not disappointed, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

In news of lesser levity, I finally made my pledge cancellation official and sent them a polite but emphatic email letting them know why I had cancelled and that I would also try to purchase fewer Reaper products in the future. I mentioned that I appreciated their quick investigation as well as Ed Pugh's disavowal of support for Matt's opinions, but that those rang hollow in light of the lack of any meaningful consequence. I guess that's all I can do.

• Locked thread