Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Wonder if the Android O beta supports the NJ Transit App. The Android N beta didn't and I wasn't able to use my ticket.

Whoops!

D'oh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

sleepwalkers posted:

What device are you on? Did you change the icon style to square? Because that's what it's set to.

I'm using stock 8.0 on a Nexus 5X. As others have said there doesn't seem to be an option to change the icon shape. If i had the money I'd pick up a pixel but things are tight at the moment and that'll have to wait another year. Gonna move to one of the new Nokias if this one kicks the bucket sooner.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I'm using stock 8.0 on a Nexus 5X. As others have said there doesn't seem to be an option to change the icon shape. If i had the money I'd pick up a pixel but things are tight at the moment and that'll have to wait another year. Gonna move to one of the new Nokias if this one kicks the bucket sooner.

Yeah, looks like non-Pixel devices are set to square but not every app has updated to support the different icon shapes yet, including some Google apps because Google. Also best budget choice is still the Moto G5+!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If you're using pretty much any custom launcher you should be able to install a new icon set, and there are something like three trillion of them out there. (I don't know if you can with the Pixel launcher or not.)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Why did they reverse position of the media and ringer volumes??

And can you not set a time limit for Do not Disturb in the drop down menu anymore?

Dumb

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DangerZoneDelux posted:

And can you not set a time limit for Do not Disturb in the drop down menu anymore?

What?!?? That's a terrible change.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Why did they reverse position of the media and ringer volumes??

Dumb

This is how it is in the O beta, did they change it?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I like Action Launcher :shrug:

:same: with balx icons

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My Moto G5+ has abruptly stopped recognizing my headphones, unless I plug them in a little, wait a while, then plug them in the rest of the way. :psyduck: Is there any way this could have anything to do with the system update?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

My Moto G5+ has abruptly stopped recognizing my headphones, unless I plug them in a little, wait a while, then plug them in the rest of the way. :psyduck: Is there any way this could have anything to do with the system update?

Sounds like lint in the port, actually

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

nimper posted:

This is how it is in the O beta, did they change it?

Ok took me a bit but you are right it's there but they added another step. It was pretty easy to add the time limit from the drop down menu before

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Ok took me a bit but you are right it's there but they added another step. It was pretty easy to add the time limit from the drop down menu before

Might be best to clarify what "drop down menu" you are talking about.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It came up on a tap of the fully extended settings shade, now you have to hit the little drop down arrow menu below it and toggle from that next screen

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can't interact with the screen at all. It shows the time and tiny notification icons, but touching the screen does nothing unless it's a double-tap.

That's still better than nothing, I guess. At least unlocking to interact is super easy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

RVProfootballer posted:

Sounds like lint in the port, actually

I checked and that seems somewhat unlikely, but I will check again.

I Googled around and it seems like not a totally unheard of problem with headphones w/ built-in mics. I don't know what to think.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Goddamnit Google, push me the update already. I knew I should have taken the plunge with the open beta :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just enter the beta and then leave again

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Enter the beta, download and install O, leave the beta. It's very straightforward. I got the update literally 10 seconds after enrolling in the beta.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah I did this too without issue.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
As an update to the LG G6 debacle. Go to the store on my lunch break, and ask for a replacement. They bring out the replacement (manufacture date March 29 2017), and as I turn it on there is an obvious temp/color difference between the overheating brick and the brand new device. Then it hits both myself and the store clerk: a very dark brown coloration at the bottom left of the display.

LG is so bad that three out of three devices I've seen so far have some sort of manufacturing defect. Returned. got my money back. Never again. What can or should I buy for ~$500?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand, don't do the beta two-step and enjoy watching all the early adopters brick their phones with the new update for about a month.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

A Bad King posted:

As an update to the LG G6 debacle. Go to the store on my lunch break, and ask for a replacement. They bring out the replacement (manufacture date March 29 2017), and as I turn it on there is an obvious temp/color difference between the overheating brick and the brand new device. Then it hits both myself and the store clerk: a very dark brown coloration at the bottom left of the display.

LG is so bad that three out of three devices I've seen so far have some sort of manufacturing defect. Returned. got my money back. Never again. What can or should I buy for ~$500?

Get a pixel on the payment plan and immediately pay off $500 of it?

Kerning Chameleon posted:

On the other hand, don't do the beta two-step and enjoy watching all the early adopters brick their phones with the new update for about a month.

It's final software. Public release. If there's anything /that/ bad in it you should never buy a non-iphone again.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 22, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's not a beta, it's the public release for Android O. It's the exact same one I would have gotten in a few weeks on my Pixel XL, only I got it yesterday instead.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

A Bad King posted:

Buy an Axon 7 and put LineageOS on it, badda boom badda bing.

Just learn up on how to re-lock your bootloader if you ever need to send it for warranty service (2 year warranty) and you're golden.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rickets posted:

Buy an Axon 7 and put LineageOS on it, badda boom badda bing.

Just learn up on how to re-lock your bootloader if you ever need to send it for warranty service (2 year warranty) and you're golden.

Sounds like they're trying to avoid jank. Are you telling them to buy a phone from some minor brand and flash a custom os on it?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RZA Encryption posted:

It's final software. Public release. If there's anything /that/ bad in it you should never buy a non-iphone again.

I'm the guy who waited right up to the deadline for the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 because I wanted as many issues as possible to be ironed out, and frankly if I thought I could've waited longer I would have.

Also, I'm only not using an iPhone because of my intense burning hatred of everything Apple stands for, and Windows Phones have proven to be :lol:.

I hate the smartphone ecosystem and everything about it, is what I'm trying to say here.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Anyone else getting really poo poo battery life on 8.0?

On a pixel xl and at about 50% with 39m screen usage. 7 hours since last full charge

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Also, I'm only not using an iPhone because of my intense burning hatred of everything Apple stands for

lol

The Duggler posted:

On a pixel xl and at about 50% with 39m screen usage. 7 hours since last full charge

I'm at 78%, "Last full charge 4h 5m ago, 1h 23m screen usage since full charge"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Duggler posted:

My XL is about the same as before, a bit better on 8.0 if anything.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Duggler posted:

My 6p seems worse, but it hasn't been great for a while.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm the guy who waited right up to the deadline for the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 because I wanted as many issues as possible to be ironed out, and frankly if I thought I could've waited longer I would have.

Also, I'm only not using an iPhone because of my intense burning hatred of everything Apple stands for, and Windows Phones have proven to be :lol:.

I hate the smartphone ecosystem and everything about it, is what I'm trying to say here.

...Comparing a Google Android release to Windows 10 is almost...disingenuous.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Very strange, maybe I should have wiped my phone before upgrading to 8

I'll give it another day or two and see

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also Windows 10 is good and cool.

Also I really like the new ambient display on 8.0, it's much better than before.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Heliosicle posted:

I had the same thing, maybe happens if you unenroll whilst it updates?

This was the problem, I quit loving around and the update downloaded completely

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Major (non-beta) Android releases have had issues before (it's a risk with any major software release, no matter how good your QA is), so waiting a little isn't the worst idea in the world. (Probably not a big deal either way, though.)

(Isn't this one of the reasons Google staggers their releases in the first place?)

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

RZA Encryption posted:

Sounds like they're trying to avoid jank. Are you telling them to buy a phone from some minor brand and flash a custom os on it?

I feel like the majority of the complaints in this thread are hardware/software issues from the so-called major brands and questions wondering when X phone will be supported by Y manufacturer (or, heaven forbid, the carrier).

My suggestion is people get themselves a less unique phone that uses more commonly supported components and is well loved by the modding community.

For example, the Galaxy S3 only received official updates to what, 4.4.4? Over on XDA you can find weekly 7.1.2 LineageOS builds..and it's still supported as an "official" LineageOS device so you can expect the updates to continue.

Unless, y'know, you like letting the carrier or manufacturer tell you when you get to use what software, and how.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

lol. Readers, this is bad advice.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man but does the pixel XL have a nice screen huh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love manually installing an OS update weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I can only assume there's a lot of eyes on Google, watching how they handle version upgrades on Pixel devices now they don't have the perennial 'eh, nobody's poifect, phones are hard :shrug:' excuse.