Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This game is pretty great, especially the big screen 4 player version. For a beat'em up, it has a ton of content, including diverging paths, secret zones and items, optional bosses and a combo system, which adds a ton of replayability to the game, on the other hand it's bad because it tends to eat your money like crazy if you are playing it with coins (god bless emulators). One of the jewels of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

You are the wailing clock maker.
I really liked it. I kept playing well after recording had stopped. It definitely has an insatiable appetite for coins, but there's a certain satisfaction in wasting all of your spells to slaughter a boss before it can touch you.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I can't believe I didn't notice the new thread all those months ago. I'm kinda scared to watch the Streets of Rage 2 videos considering it's honestly my favourite game of all time. Plus you did it back in January, so I'm super late to the party and won't say anything. Also, I'm sad I missed the Windjammers and Virtual On: OT plays. The former is just idiocy, and the latter needs the twinsticks to play properly. Both are a lot of fun though.

Angry Lobster posted:

This game is pretty great, especially the big screen 4 player version. For a beat'em up, it has a ton of content, including diverging paths, secret zones and items, optional bosses and a combo system, which adds a ton of replayability to the game, on the other hand it's bad because it tends to eat your money like crazy if you are playing it with coins (god bless emulators). One of the jewels of the genre.

Dirt Wizard posted:

I really liked it. I kept playing well after recording had stopped. It definitely has an insatiable appetite for coins, but there's a certain satisfaction in wasting all of your spells to slaughter a boss before it can touch you.

I think it's Elf's Lightning Bolt that has a bug where each hit does something like four times the damage. It absolutely wrecks bosses. I always played Cleric though just to annoy my best friend by constantly casting Sticks to Snakes.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Hoss Corncave posted:

I can't believe I didn't notice the new thread all those months ago. I'm kinda scared to watch the Streets of Rage 2 videos considering it's honestly my favourite game of all time. Plus you did it back in January, so I'm super late to the party and won't say anything. Also, I'm sad I missed the Windjammers and Virtual On: OT plays. The former is just idiocy, and the latter needs the twinsticks to play properly. Both are a lot of fun though.

Hey, I was just thinking about you earlier. Wondering if some of the people from the old thread were unaware of this one.

Streets of Rage, it was a season opener type so we did some catching up (like we ain't seen each other or talked to each other in months), and talk about Nick getting arrested.

Because we now do a podcast and other stuff, we have mostly avoided that for next session, I hope.

Good to have you back.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiV9mKSp8MU

Here's Part 2, and tomorrow will be part 3. Not like anyone really watches past part one, oof.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ip1U6sy0uw

It's the part 3 of the Dungeons and Dragons Shadow of Mystara! It's over!

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEde7E6-LVE

Woo, I totally forgot to put this poo poo up yesterday. I've been no poo poo working on a feature length project and got time hosed. Good thing this video came with an apology already. I guess it's even more appropriate! Also, it's the second video with the ever hilarious Madcucks, and a lesser known Street Fighter game, "Street Fighter EX 2 Plus".

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

It's that time of year again! We're all out of videos! Not to worry, though, because we've already recorded the next session. All is wrapped, eviction notices distributed, and Kyle is presumed trapped in Georgia as punishment for donning the mantle of an artist in Georgia.

Editing is underway, and regular updates will continue after this brief, inevitable hiatus.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dirt Wizard posted:

It's that time of year again! We're all out of videos! Not to worry, though, because we've already recorded the next session. All is wrapped, eviction notices distributed, and Kyle is presumed trapped in Georgia as punishment for donning the mantle of an artist in Georgia.

Editing is underway, and regular updates will continue after this brief, inevitable hiatus.

If any of y'all roll through Jacksonville on your travels through the horrid south, let me know and I'll buy you guys some Let's Play solvent.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyPUY76K2Fs

As Nick was saying, Season 5 is done, but we'll leave you with some of the better moments that we enjoyed over the last several months.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

Good ol' Jacksonville; the only place I've ever had to pull a knife for defense.

If MCIHAD ever hits tax-paying legitimate status, "Let's Play solvent" will feature prominently in expense reports and write-offs.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Man that Risky Challenge video was a gold mine. The level of incompetence was so high it was impressive even for MCIHAD.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Risky Challenge was very special. Very special indeed. And WindJammers is awesome. Italian on the Concrete court is unfair.

This may be a shock, but to me EX2+ is actually the best SF game ever. It's got a solid roster of new characters, the second best grappler ever (Darun is fantastic in this game, second only to Clark from King of Fighters), big combos, and a bunch of solid mechanics that every character has like Excel combos, Guard Break, and Super-Super Cancelling - some of which that would later on be taken and changed (Guard Break would function similar to Focus Attack in SF4 - it even had the same command of MP+MK). If you watch high level matches, they're a lot of fun as you can see some ridiculous Excel combos and stupid setups (Vulcano Rosso has some dirty setups and Doctrine Dark has horrible bomb pressure). They're probably all going to return at some point in the new yet to be named Arika fighting game. Darun and Skullomania are already in, so I'm happy about that.

Also, on the topic of Thomas the Tank Engine, there was always two episodes I remember. One where Diesel got pissed off with some trucks refusing to move so he made them move causing their brakes to stop, and one where Henry refuses to go out in the rain, so they have him bricked up in a tunnel. Thinking about it now, it's absolutely brutal. And I was a Gordon man based on blue being my favourite colour, and me being oblivious to him being a prick.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

We had some fun with EX2+ while we were dicking around to make sure everything worked. Kyle took to Skullomania pretty quickly and turned into a nigh-unkillable luchador motherfucker. Now that I see how dyed-in-the-wool Hoss is with fighting games, I'm somewhat embarrassed for the low skill display. Except, y'know, that's par for the MCIHAD course.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Hoss Corncave posted:

This may be a shock, but to me EX2+ is actually the best SF game ever. It's got a solid roster of new characters, the second best grappler ever (Darun is fantastic in this game, second only to Clark from King of Fighters), big combos, and a bunch of solid mechanics that every character has like Excel combos, Guard Break, and Super-Super Cancelling - some of which that would later on be taken and changed (Guard Break would function similar to Focus Attack in SF4 - it even had the same command of MP+MK). If you watch high level matches, they're a lot of fun as you can see some ridiculous Excel combos and stupid setups (Vulcano Rosso has some dirty setups and Doctrine Dark has horrible bomb pressure). They're probably all going to return at some point in the new yet to be named Arika fighting game. Darun and Skullomania are already in, so I'm happy about that.

I was actually gonna make a reference to the "April fools" announcement, but I was pretty sure the other two guys wouldn't care.

Also, an interesting thing I learned about arcade fighting games, apparently the hidden characters are unlocked as "timed releases", so to get Garuda and Shadow Geist I had to leave the game running for several hours.

Suspect Bucket posted:

If any of y'all roll through Jacksonville on your travels through the horrid south, let me know and I'll buy you guys some Let's Play solvent.

Guess someone has to move somewhere off of 95 again so that can be easily feasible.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUePAhTpkNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7niQ455WDg

Alright, so we finally got the H2H finale thing from last session, and new stuff up!

Starting Season 6 off with J. J. Squawkers, which was a fun little platformer made in the early 90s. Kinda makes you get some Pu-Li-Ru-La vibes.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MECSNd0rDX0

It's part 2 of J.J. Squawkers. Hopefully we don't have many more of these multi-part episodes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
So you're using this time to prepare awesome funerals, right? Parties you don't have to pay for!

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXvYL8MUmg

I'm gonna go ahead and apologize about this in advance, we had a really stupid joke and we ran it into the ground on this episode.

Otherwise, this game is actually working in Mame, so we had to play it, and otherwise it's a pretty decent game. It's got that Midway "use human" models sort of thing. Although it's weird that the punch button is also somehow the power up button. Not sure why that is.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

We'll be using all this sweet YouTube money to buy gas for a three-way cremation.

Seriously, though. This episode was a recreation of the soundtrack to my apartment for half of the previous day. Constant attempts to conjure Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill screaming about the Joker's mad and aimless plot. Keith's attempts at Harley Quinn provided the foundation for another left field joke left to run wild in the next episode.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHQ-A3zwfNc

Alright, let's get into a game that is the bread and butter of this show, a puzzle game!

I think this game marks the descent into madness that seems to plague this season.

AMovieReference fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 22, 2017

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3e4Y-MDhk

Alright, we got Shadow Force, which was requested by Rangpur.

This is kinda cool actually, after the level is over the game turns into a mini-fighting game of a sort and even the controls change. Neat.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I guess if you had to run a nonsensical Batman joke into the ground, that bizarre acid trip of a Batman game was the perfect place to do it. Somehow that really worked.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Rollersnake posted:

I guess if you had to run a nonsensical Batman joke into the ground, that bizarre acid trip of a Batman game was the perfect place to do it. Somehow that really worked.

Someday there will be a MCIHAD DVD or whatever technology exists at the time and I wanna use quotes like these as endorsement.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq-RrYapusk

And to round off the week, we played Crazy Cop, or as it's known in Europe "Gang Busters". It has a Bonanzo Bros. feel to it.

Dirt Wizard
Mar 23, 2016

AMovieReference posted:

Someday there will be a MCIHAD DVD or whatever technology exists at the time and I wanna use quotes like these as endorsement.

Other candidates for cover quotes include: "I won't watch this when anyone's around. I hide my love for it more than the fetishes I can't share with my wife."
And: "I'm not a religious man, and it might be in part because I can't stand the thought of my grandparents' ghosts watching me laugh at this."
Or: "Weren't you in college for something? Planning a career? What happened with that?" - Dad

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see a video of you playing Speed Rumbler. My all time favorite arcade game.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'd love to see a video of you playing Speed Rumbler. My all time favorite arcade game.

We've actually played it, it's got another name called "Rush & Crash" out in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZA_SC70fuo

I remember it's one of those games that when you die you have to start over, so we had a lot of trouble with it. Also it's an earlier season so it probably sucks @_@

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

AMovieReference posted:

We've actually played it, it's got another name called "Rush & Crash" out in Japan.

Ooh, nice!

In case someone else is wondering:

Guns increase your firing speed.
Speed increases your driving speed.
Wrenches increase your max health.
Hammer works as armor, you take only half damage.
Health kit repairs your car to full health.
Score is just points. You get an extra life at 30,000 points. You also get only score powerups if you shoot the prison cages while on foot.

If you survive a while on foot, another car is towed near you. While this can save a life, you only have 24 minutes to complete the entire game. Running out of time near the end is a game over regardless of how many lives you have left. Drive fast!

I love both the music and theme of the game. If there ever was a Mad Max arcade game, this is it. It also gets wonderfully bizarre once you get further down the line.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6iy-9m-MT4

Alright, it's Monday, so that means it's more MCIHAD! Hopefully that's a good thing?!

Today we played Mr. Dig, or Mr. Driller, or Dig Dug 3. Whichever you wanna think of it as. It's not too bad.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I really dig your Banished series of videos. Any plans to upload Episode 4?

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Spookyelectric posted:

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I really dig your Banished series of videos. Any plans to upload Episode 4?

Heh, I hadn't really been working on them, because I feel like I expected a bigger reaction or something so I just lost motivation because the time investment. But surprisingly, I've had a number of people ask me about it in recent times that I should just finish it off. I think I had two or three more episodes that I wanted to do out of the footage I had. I'll see if I can get on top of those before September is over.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkSMuIc9Ng8

Alright. So I've said it a few times at this point, but this is honestly the weirdest episode we've done so far. Not even from the content of the game, but just. . . I don't. Nick was having troubles or something. Not normal Nick troubles, but extra kinds.

The game is actually interesting, from what I can gather, every time you die, the game either becomes more difficult or easier. I choose to believe the former.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
H A

H A

H A funny internet video game men get have do existential crises get have do have

in all seriousness this is already shaping up to be my favorite season

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This episode has two of my three favourite things, crazy ramblings and DS9 poo poo, good.

The game was also ok, I guess.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

H A

H A

H A funny internet video game men get have do existential crises get have do have

in all seriousness this is already shaping up to be my favorite season

This bodes well. I'm trying to think what else happened in this session. I think Border Down was the climax of US being weird, but there's still a lot of good stuff coming along.

Angry Lobster posted:

This episode has two of my three favourite things, crazy ramblings and DS9 poo poo, good.

The game was also ok, I guess.

Glad to hear that we're doing things alright enough!

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A5Q0RSV-nQ

Alright, so we did a request from probably forever ago! (Sorry we take forever to do requests) This is the first of Kyle's curse, where it's basically every time we tried to play a multiplayer game with Kyle as first player, no one else could play. I think it turned out ALLL right.

Also, if you're curious. Kyle is also doing a podcast with his girlfriend Caitlyn (from the Banished episodes we did) where they talk about the origin of dog breeds. We answer questions like, "Why do dachshunds look like dicks?", "Why is a pug?", "Who was Jack Russel?" and other questions. It's like MCIHAD, but educational and 40% less nihilism. It's called "Why Are You A Dog?" and you can find it on all the podcasting platforms, or just check out the website http://www.whyareyouadog.com

Shameless self plugging over.

AMovieReference fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 31, 2017

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Q2ZE6b7XE

Well here we go! It's more lovely smut games! We thought it was a puzzle game, so that's why clicked on it, but we got this instead.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
honestly the weird, generic, tinny, 16 bit music makes everything worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkPn8joHjKQ

Okay, so this is what we saw on the screen shots for this game. Not that this is any better.

• Locked thread