Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Donkey Konga would be perfect for the Switch

Vita means "life"

Should've been called the Schiavo, or the DOA... or the Playstation Neglected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yakuza 0 is my goty so far

BotW just hasn't clicked with me
people talk about how much there is to do in that game, but the world feels kinda empty to me

I'm probably dumb and bad at games, but I wind up following the roads to the next story objective and not seeing much to do other than shrines in between

There's a lot of "that's neat" moments with the physics, but my combat style mostly boils down to hitting things with clubs and swords :shrug:

Most of the "story objectives" are related to the shrines, though? Like after you go to the first town, the only main objective is "defeat ganon" and how you do it and what order you do it in is up to you :confused:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yakuza 0 is my goty so far

BotW just hasn't clicked with me
people talk about how much there is to do in that game, but the world feels kinda empty to me

I'm probably dumb and bad at games, but I wind up following the roads to the next story objective and not seeing much to do other than shrines in between

There's a lot of "that's neat" moments with the physics, but my combat style mostly boils down to hitting things with clubs and swords :shrug:

This is mostly what makes me a bit hesitant on BOTW. I'm a bit weary of open world games cause I don't want a big map filled with nothing. Something like Just Cause 2 for instance, it was a fun game but most of the open world stuff just wasn't that engaging. I mean it was fun flying around and blowing poo poo up but that got old after a while. On the other hand Witcher 3 had a gigantic open world and almost every sidequest was worth doing. Even a bunch of the contracts had awesome little stories attached to them. I'm also kind of curious about the Mario/Rabbids game? I've never played XCOM but it still looks interesting. Gah! Why can't Smash Bros DX or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 be out so my choices would be OBVIOUS

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Breath of the Wild is a great puzzle game with a lot of tedious travel and bad combat encounters between puzzles

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

This is mostly what makes me a bit hesitant on BOTW. I'm a bit weary of open world games cause I don't want a big map filled with nothing. Something like Just Cause 2 for instance, it was a fun game but most of the open world stuff just wasn't that engaging. I mean it was fun flying around and blowing poo poo up but that got old after a while. On the other hand Witcher 3 had a gigantic open world and almost every sidequest was worth doing. Even a bunch of the contracts had awesome little stories attached to them. I'm also kind of curious about the Mario/Rabbids game? I've never played XCOM but it still looks interesting. Gah! Why can't Smash Bros DX or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 be out so my choices would be OBVIOUS

BOTW is literally the only open world game that has gotten me excited about exploring

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mister Facetious posted:

Should've been called the Schiavo

Too soon.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Breath of the Wild is a great puzzle game with a lot of tedious travel and bad combat encounters between puzzles

I don't think I once thought in my 100 hours of gameplay that the travel was tedious. But then again I went around and unlocked as many of the towers as possible as quickly as possible, so I could zip around the map as I needed/wanted to (the Shrines acting as fast travel points was nice, but I used them less often). Also the simple fact that I could point Link at a mountain and he could actually climb it instantly made the game better in terms of travel than any other open world game BESIDES Saint's Row IV in my opinion.

I'd actually argue that Skyrim and Fallout IV had too much stuff going on, I kept on getting distracted from my main goal and would waste hours doing repetitive combat in dungeons/buildings and ended up fatigued of the game maybe 40 hours in.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 22, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are over 100 fast travel points, and anything you can't ride a horse / bear across you can climb, glide, or sail
You can loving surf on your shield
They literally do everything to make traveling not tedious

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

raditts posted:

Most of the "story objectives" are related to the shrines, though? Like after you go to the first town, the only main objective is "defeat ganon" and how you do it and what order you do it in is up to you :confused:

I mean going to the major cities and doing the divine beast dungeons. I've only done 2 so far though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

enojy posted:

Too soon.

That's fair. And Nintendo/MS never fought to keep it alive for Sony. :haw:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Andrast posted:

BOTW is literally the only open world game that has gotten me excited about exploring

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i loved botw but i still havent done the volcano area because :effort:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The only poo poo part is getting the fire armor. It took me too long to figure out how to catch those drat lizards.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

GreenNight posted:

The only poo poo part is getting the fire armor. It took me too long to figure out how to catch those drat lizards.

???

It's not that hard just tag 'em and bag 'em.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GreenNight posted:

A combination of "I refuse to use a guide for anything in my first playthrough" and "gently caress it I'm over 100 hours in let's get this over with" had me traversing up Death Mountain with no fire armor and a complete expenditure of my food/healing stock. But I made it. Only to have one of the gorons in the shops look at me with that hilarious wide-eyed look and say, "you made it all the way up here with no protection?!?" and sold me some armor.

I hated the dungeons and food crafting system in BoTW, but this and a million other little touches totally saved it and is still GOTY for me.

Edit: spoiler'd because some people haven't done Death Mountain yet!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Andrast posted:

For real. Every other one is a boring slog through nothing poo poo that 's so clearly labeled LOOK AT ME that it's no fun.
BOTW you have to actually pay attention to your surroundings and things are actually subtle in places. Nearly everyone missed some type of puzzle in the overworld until 100 hours in or until they saw someone else do it.

If you do nothing but stay on the path I can see why you think BOTW is boring cause you managed to find the absolute worse way to play the game.

Edit: I left the path instantly to the point that I missed a real obvious shrine cause it was on the path and I was a mile from it at all times lol

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 22, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

i loved botw but i still havent done the volcano area because :effort:

I am doing that right now. After the camel beast seemed so difficult I basically instantly cleared the salamander one, felt pretty good.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

BOTW made me realize that I prefer a less "open world" game, like a Witcher, with defined tasks. I've put a lot of hours into the game and probably a third of them are absolutely pointless. It's a good game but I just don't feel inspired to explore seemingly similar looking areas (and no underground or interior areas, a big oversight) when I have gamed for more than a decade and experienced everything from Everquest to WoW to DAOC, Skyrim and Witcher and many other worlds. I'd often feel so much relief to be given a quest, because just going around and doing shrines was not enough structure for me (particularly since the shrines don't have any lore).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

???

It's not that hard just tag 'em and bag 'em.

I didn't realize you had to kneel and sneak to catch them easily. I kept chasing them around.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Botw will be remembered as a game with an amazing tutorial.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

BOTW made me realize that I prefer a less "open world" game, like a Witcher, with defined tasks. I've put a lot of hours into the game and probably a third of them are absolutely pointless. It's a good game but I just don't feel inspired to explore seemingly similar looking areas (and no underground or interior areas, a big oversight) when I have gamed for more than a decade and experienced everything from Everquest to WoW to DAOC, Skyrim and Witcher and many other worlds. I'd often feel so much relief to be given a quest, because just going around and doing shrines was not enough structure for me (particularly since the shrines don't have any lore).

Yeah, when the Zelda Defense Squad comes out in full force saying that "Oh, it's not like those lovely Ubisoft games where you climb towers to reveal the map, because in this one when you climb towers to reveal the map, you have to place the icons yourself and that makes all the difference" I have to say, I totally respect that you love the game so much, but that thing makes absolutely no difference to me

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Some of you have no imagination left in your soul apparently

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GreenNight posted:

I didn't realize you had to kneel and sneak to catch them easily. I kept chasing them around.

Any single piece of the stealth suit (maybe two, I can’t remember) will let you run (not spring) right up to a lizard (or bug) and catch it without issues.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm personally just really tired of the same 3 or 4 loving people telling us why Zelda is dogshit across this thread, the General monthly one, and the main one about the game, as if mentioning the game summons them to reiterate what we've heard already

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Yeah, the thing I was going to add in the previous post but deleted because I thought it was too inflammatory was the thing that pissed me off the most among the Zelda acolytes were the shitheads who characterized dislike for the game as "We are free souls and more imaginative than those normies who do not get pleasure from exploration like we, the enlightened ones, do"

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, the thing I was going to add in the previous post but deleted because I thought it was too inflammatory was the thing that pissed me off the most among the Zelda acolytes were the shitheads who characterized dislike for the game as "We are free souls and more imaginative than those normies who do not get pleasure from exploration like we, the enlightened ones, do"

you were right to delete your post the first time

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, when the Zelda Defense Squad comes out in full force saying that "Oh, it's not like those lovely Ubisoft games where you climb towers to reveal the map, because in this one when you climb towers to reveal the map, you have to place the icons yourself and that makes all the difference" I have to say, I totally respect that you love the game so much, but that thing makes absolutely no difference to me

Yeah, I can see that being completely subjective. For my part, I fell in love with Etrian Odyssey because it asked me to pay attention and document my travels myself, reminding me of old-school PC first person dungeon crawlers where I'd scribbled out notes and maps in notebooks. BotW gave me that same feeling; it put that burden back on me to document where I've been and direct where I'm going next, in contrast to Ubisoft's overload of information all at once. I felt like I paid attention more because the game was asking me to pay attention from the beginning, and I felt way more engaged even if it was "more work" than other open world games. That work it asked of me was enjoyable, and a QoL feature auto-marking everything would've changed a lot of the feeling for me.

But I know that's not for everyone, snide remarks about imagination aside. Folks play games for a lot of different reasons. I think BotW is fantastic because it hits on something that's very subjective, but I have a hard time calling it an objectively "good" or "bad" game because of that.

turnways fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 22, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

Most imagination comes into play depending on how much the player enjoys exploring and/or collecting certain items. They've purposefully removed a lot of creative elements of the game, like a robust crafting system (recipes count I guess), skill trees and character stats (some people like this but it can also be seen as a weakness).

There is also very little lore relative to other games. Again that can be a weakness or strength or both. Some people like that random destroyed towns are just there and we aren't necessarily meant to know why they haven't been rebuilt. Other people see it as a wasted opportunity. Some people like the "complete a puzzle and speak to the random priest" component of shrines, but when I reflect on that I wish each shrinekeeper had more individuality and integration into a broader world building narrative.

For me the oddest thing about the game was that the main storyline wasn't that compelling. I never felt that rushed to complete anything and was more interested in surfing down a mountain. As long as a game is fun then it isn't a problem, but it does mean that, for me at least, the overall story was just kind of window dressing.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 22, 2017

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Zelda good

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

BotW made me feel like a kid again for two weeks and for that it gets goty.

Seriously, I've played a lot of games this year and many of them are really good. But you can't match the power of a game that made you feel like a 10 year old .

Back when I wasn't so jaded and didn't have student loans. It completely took me out of my 9-5 life.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, the thing I was going to add in the previous post but deleted because I thought it was too inflammatory was the thing that pissed me off the most among the Zelda acolytes were the shitheads who characterized dislike for the games as "We are free souls and more imaginative than those normies who do not get pleasure from exploration like we, the enlightened ones, do"

I generally hate games that waste my time with aimless searching for pixels or grindy boring rear end tasks, and largely don't play many of them anymore. I've turned into a cynical old fart who craps on nearly everything being the same poo poo with more polygons year after year after year. Like console shooters being nothing but Counter Strike 1.6 with wider gear selection. Most games are something I do to pass the time cause hey sometimes it's fun.

BOTW was the first time in forever I could actually sit down and play for 6-8 hours straight without easily getting distracted by a text or having my fill after an hour. I was actually having fun again. Actually giving a poo poo what might be at the top of the mountain for the sake of finding out instead of drat it there better be an upgrade up there making me hike up this big stupid thing.

There's plenty of games I don't play but I can look at them and go ok I see why people are going crazy over it even if I have 0 interest in it. Minecraft being a great example, I don't get it because there's 0 direction in it and I least need something as an eventual goal. I sure as hell understand why everyone else latched on to it so hard though cause again I appreciate sometimes you need to let your mind wonder and be surprised instead of taking the tour through someone else's vision.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Actually giving a poo poo what might be at the top of the mountain for the sake of finding out instead of drat it there better be an upgrade up there making me hike up this big stupid thing.

It's a korok seed

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

loving lol at the "Zelda defense squad" about people with different BOTW opinions than you

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The worst thing about BOTW is the tribalism around it.

It’s a good game with merit and it’s okay if you don’t like it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Beastie posted:

Seriously, I've played a lot of games this year and many of them are really good. But you can't match the power of a game that made you feel like a 10 year old .

Back when I wasn't so jaded and didn't have student loans. It completely took me out of my 9-5 life.

Absolutely this. If you let yourself be taken in to the world, it really takes you in. I forced myself to avoid all spoilers and hints except asking for help from friends, and the game was just exceptional. Possible GOAT

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The worst thing about BOTW is the tribalism around it.

It’s a good game with merit and it’s okay if you don’t like it.

I agree, that's fine if you don't like it. But it did something to me where I was playing it and I wasn't constantly evaluating the game by standards of other games.

It just somehow drew me in and gave me countless surprises, no matter how big or small. It was like going to Disney World. It forced me to take off my "played video games for 25 years" hat and play the drat game. I suddenly didn't care that there was no skill tree. I only cared about being in the world that it presented me with. It genuinely surprised me with novel workarounds and details.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's a korok seed

After hour 150 yeah I had my fill and put the game away. Before that I was now at the top of a mountain and hey what's that weird rock formation over there lets fly to that and found a shrine with some puzzle and then I come out and spot some thing I need to gather to make food and then I see what might be another seed then I trip into some enemy camp I get to go all MGS on then then then.

Sure it runs its course after a time but it took forever for me to get to the ok yeah yeah feeling.

Least me personally I will continue to hype up this Zelda over the TP & SS which were so loving boring and predictable. Like I get the complaint about BOTW's complete lack of story and direction having it's own downsides but the last 2 big entries were so rote and so samey that the series needed a huge change before it got to the point that the average yearly sports game showed more changes/improvements/whatever than Zelda was getting to.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Zelda... is good.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Beastie posted:

That's great and hopefully you don't take discussion or criticism as a personal sleight. Some people feel the same way about other games as you did about this one. Some people played this game and didn't feel anything. I think it's a polarizing game because of the risks it took. A lot of things can be seen as strengths or weaknesses or both but that it's Hyrule gave them the room to take risks. In the end it obviously paid off because the view is generally positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Andrast posted:

loving lol at the "Zelda defense squad" about people with different BOTW opinions than you

One time someone made a hot take and the ZDF didn't show up and it was freaky

• Locked thread