Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hardcordion posted:

My pet peeve is when a comedian is referred to as a "funnyman".

This and the phrase "American soil" are my two big "random innocuous words" pet peeves. They both just seem so precious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The Moon Monster posted:

This and the phrase "American soil" are my two big "random innocuous words" pet peeves. They both just seem so precious.

Can we add "we the people" please?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There were some news reports recently about an australian teen who got his feet all ripped up and bit by sand fleas and I keep coming across articles that post pictures of these poor little fellas alongside them

That's a sand crab/mole crab and they're adorable and harmless and just try to bury into your hand and tickle you out of panic if you scoop them up :(

The word sand flea is used for so many animals that it's pretty much useless as a descriptive term. The ones that bit the kid are probably closer to these, which are also called and fleas but are much tinier animals not related to sand crabs and actually known to bite since they're scavengers

If people start being mean to my favorite beach creature from when I was a kid because of this i'm gonna flip my lid!!

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I've wasted a lot of breath trying to explain why I disliked an ex-co-worker, but I realize that he's just Rain Man but neurotypical and bad with math and details.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I hate when you're picking up a video game you haven't played in a long time, and the loss of memory (muscle or otherwise) turns you off from playing it any further. Like, I remember the game Reus being fun and interesting, but outside of the most basic of game mechanics, every little thing I picked up about the game when I played it last time is gone, and the notion of the re-learning everything just feels like a bridge too far.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Aug 15, 2017

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I hate when you're picking up a video game you haven't played in a long time, and the loss of memory (muscle or otherwise) turns you off from playing it any further. Like, I remember the game Reus being fun and interesting, but outside of the most basic of game mechanics, every little thing I picked up about the game when I played it last time is gone, and the notion of the re-learning everything just feels like a bridge too far.

I get the same thing. I think there was one game where I just never got it back and was in many ways more incompetent than when I was a complete beginner.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

see also: a game you'd like to play again, but then you remember that one part that you hate and decide it's too much effort

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sociopastry posted:

see also: a game you'd like to play again, but then you remember that one part that you hate and decide it's too much effort

Ugh, this is true for like any game from more than a couple years ago now. Old total wars, old pokemon, old rts's and shooters, all that poo poo I loved as a kid but going back, I guess I lack Internet Gamer Nostalgia Glasses cuz all that poo poo is practically unplayable. Bad interface, crap controls, way too time-consuming.

I see a lot of reviews calling modern games dumbed-down poo poo for twelve-year-olds but really it's nice to be able to pick it up and play just a little bit here and there now that the market is generally older and we don't have time to devote hundreds and thousands of hours. Like when I was twelve I could literally sit down and play Morrowind 8 hours straight friday-sunday, that sure as hell ain't happening anymore.

Or Total War, I played a lot of Warhammer for like an hour every other day after work, had fun, finished games. The older models I could grind through marathon sessions and still not ever finish. Too long, too finicky, too many crashes and bugs and total poo poo balance.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sociopastry posted:

I loved the new X-Com (not the sequel, although I own it unopened) but after doing really well at it I started to get Fs for not doing some alien capture mission I didn't even know was necessary. I was like 10s of hours into the game too and at that point I was just going to lose eventually so I stopped playing and I'll probably never play it again cause I'm not 10 and am not ok with trying over and over to win a game from the beginning anymore. It was some dumb mission where you have to bring a specific like ghostbusters capture thing and be a square away from a specific injured alien and most missions wouldn't even have it, so you'd have to handicap one character to being the lame capture person and I dunno that just really soured me on the whole thing

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

For me it's the older final fantasies. I really love the very old ones, but sometimes I'll get the urge to play them again and then remember "hey you have to do this part/dungeon" and then I just turn it off and don't pick it up again because I don't want to fight loving leviathan or whatever again.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Sociopastry posted:

For me it's the older final fantasies. I really love the very old ones, but sometimes I'll get the urge to play them again and then remember "hey you have to do this part/dungeon" and then I just turn it off and don't pick it up again because I don't want to fight loving leviathan or whatever again.

Literally just had this problem with Final Fantasy 6. Got through the whole first part up to the world ending, then realized I had to go collect my people, level them up, deal with all that unfun fetch quest stuff and just turned it off.

Final Fantasy 7 doesn't even take me that long, it's probably around the time you have to sneak around in Shinra HQ just before getting out of Midgar.

Final Fantasy 8: Uggggg Laguna.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Same, tbh. only with FF8 instead of the Laguna bit it's the loving sewers before the assassination mission. or the train part. or the space ship...

come to think of it I just might not like FF8 very much.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't want to appear like I'm backseat modding or anything, but before this goes any farther I figure I'd point out that we have a thread for things that drag a game down for it. I'm partially to blame for using a specific example, but my peeve was more internal than the game itself.

Content: My dad has a habit of randomly criticizing me for things, and holy gently caress does it bother me. LIke, I helped him hoof a few doors up two flights of stairs at the house I grew up with, and at the end of it he asked me how much deodarant I put on this morning because I'm "smelling a bit ripe". Like, yes, I just carried some heavy poo poo up a bunch of stairs, I'm going to sweat a bit!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sociopastry posted:

Assassin's Creed 4. I remember all the fun I had pirating and think I should play it again. Then I remember all the Abstergo poo poo and the bullshit tailing missions. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I made it about an hour into Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and quit because it felt like the exact same game as Assassins Creed 2. Same character, same setting, same weapon. gently caress this!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I try not to play games I loved as a kid because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't love them now. Like, I really don't understand all the hype for "retro" games -- are people really drooling over jagged pixelated sprites in 2017? C'mon, we have the technology, let's get some clean, hi-def animation here!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Screaming Idiot posted:

I try not to play games I loved as a kid because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't love them now. Like, I really don't understand all the hype for "retro" games -- are people really drooling over jagged pixelated sprites in 2017? C'mon, we have the technology, let's get some clean, hi-def animation here!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

LOL

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I see a lot of reviews calling modern games dumbed-down poo poo for twelve-year-olds but really it's nice to be able to pick it up and play just a little bit here and there now that the market is generally older and we don't have time to devote hundreds and thousands of hours. Like when I was twelve I could literally sit down and play Morrowind 8 hours straight friday-sunday, that sure as hell ain't happening anymore.
I sometimes remember how much fun I used to have playing Civilization, but then I remember how much free time I had then and how few options I had for entertainment. At the time I played the most I had to watch TV when it was actually broadcast, had to go to a library or book shop if I wanted something to read, had maybe a dozen video games worth playing etc. I could easily spend a few hours every afternoon/evening playing the same video game because what else was I going to do? Now I've got more TV than I can possibly watch whenever I want it, a Kindle full of books, a bunch of games on Steam I've never even played. Oh. and the internet. Games like that are just too much of a time commitment.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I try not to play games I loved as a kid because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't love them now.
Some games, particularly the simpler ones, hold up pretty well. You won't spend hours at a time playing them like you did when you were six, but they're still fun.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Aug 16, 2017

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Yeah, for sure. I think good game design just holds up.

In pet peeve news: when people insist they are not sucking up the bandwidth but then it turns out they're streaming netflix or downloading a torrent or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the subject, I have a few games that I want to LP but would mean going through a part of the game that is badly put together and very frustrating, like I do want to LP Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit as it is a very well put together herding game with a lot of enemy variety and some neat environmental challenges, but the final boss is absolute horseshit.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Screaming Idiot posted:

Did you change your avatar because of my post

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When past livestreams on youtube keep the hour+ of filler "up next:" silence instead of cutting that off and only keeping the actual 20-30 minutes of content. Especially on things like political stuff where comments are typically disabled so you can't scroll down to find out when the thing starts, you just have to click around until you find it, then go back until you can find the beginning.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When past livestreams on youtube keep the hour+ of filler "up next:" silence instead of cutting that off and only keeping the actual 20-30 minutes of content. Especially on things like political stuff where comments are typically disabled so you can't scroll down to find out when the thing starts, you just have to click around until you find it, then go back until you can find the beginning.

:argh: I hate it! Though to be fair, if it's something streamed through Youtube's streaming system I'm not sure if there's a way to edit it later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeNB4w99FiY

An hour and 35 minutes for a 12 minute speedrun! And they disabled comments! :suicide:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you click and hold on the seekbar, you can jump to where you want to go in the video with a thumbnail view.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

This happens so much and I hate it. I don't watch stuff on Twitch because 1.) my internet is kinda lovely atm and 2.) I hate twitch in general. Just plop it in movie maker and cut off the first 20 minutes! Or just don't turn on the stream until you're actually ready to stream, instead of making me click through half an hour of bullshit because you started the stream but then hosed off somewhere to eat a sandwich or jerk off or something.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

What's even the point of watching a livestream if not to see someone eat a sandwich and jerk off? :confused:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I like watching them play games and then imagining them eating a sandwich and jerking off later, in my own time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Overhearing other peoples' conversations, but mainly when they only ever talk about the same thing every day. For example, there's group of women on the team I'm on at work who talk every single day at every single opportunity about how much they're go to the gym, or how much physical training they do over lunch breaks or the minutiae of the diets they're on. It's good that you're into that sort of thing, but it comes to a point where you just want to tell them to change the record. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If anyone does Crossfit or went to Harvard you can be drat sure they'll tell you about it

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I have a coworker who blames Obama for everything. It's like he heard the "thanks, Obama" meme and didn't really understand the joke or the format, because when he does it, it's like, "I can't find this tool, Obama must have stolen it" or "Who turned off the lights in here? I bet it was Obama" and it is 2017 and I'm tired of this joke after working here less than a month

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

I sometimes remember how much fun I used to have playing Civilization, but then I remember how much free time I had then and how few options I had for entertainment.

Oh see I like civ because it's so passive. I can do other things and it doesn't take much attention; I can get up to deal with the baby and it's ready when I come back some ridiculous span of time later.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I can't even remember the last movie I've watched with my dad that he didn't fall asleep during.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I can't even remember the last movie I've watched with my dad that he didn't fall asleep during.

I realized I was old when that started happening to me. Then I fell asleep during Rogue One, in theatre. I have become my father.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rogue One's first two acts are boring as gently caress

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mu Zeta posted:

Rogue One's first two acts are boring as gently caress

Yeah I didn't even make it through 5 minutes before I bailed on it. I just thought the time "I don't give a poo poo about any of these people and there's two more hours"

My current peeve is my loving apartment complex and their incessant notices to re-up for the next rental year. I've gotten three emails and two letters in two days. I get it! It's coming up! But not for like two months! Leave me the hell alone!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When my landlord thinks it's cool/normal to just immediately unlock and open the door after ringing the doorbell once. I hate having to be prepared for company to pop in at any moment. At least wait until I come to the door so you don't have to constantly see me racing to get my pants on.

e: for the record I did ask him to wait for me to get to the door in the future, but I think he just doesn't understand the concept of why that would make someone uncomfortable.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Did you change your avatar because of my post

No, someone changed my Great A'tuin avatar to a screenshot from Sonic Spinball because I posted in the Sonic thread. Like, it was nice of them to give me an avatar, but I like my Discworld one better. Great A'tuin looks so happy. :3:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

When my landlord thinks it's cool/normal to just immediately unlock and open the door after ringing the doorbell once. I hate having to be prepared for company to pop in at any moment. At least wait until I come to the door so you don't have to constantly see me racing to get my pants on.

e: for the record I did ask him to wait for me to get to the door in the future, but I think he just doesn't understand the concept of why that would make someone uncomfortable.

When service people would do this at my last apartment without me giving them permission I would just chill near them in my underwear the whole time looking angry with my crotch at face level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Overhearing other peoples' conversations, but mainly when they only ever talk about the same thing every day.

Overhearing other people's conversations, but they keep getting stuff wrong and you can't correct them because you're eavesdropping.

Every single time I take the bus. Every. Single. Time.