Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

fridge corn posted:

tbh i read it like 10 years ago and i can barely remember what happens in it except for when i got to the end i was like "what that's it? but its just getting started! '"

i believe he did originally plan to follow it up with more books about alyosha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Hello. I would never not finish crime and punishment. how can you ever put it down after porfiry shows up especially

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Orhan Pamuk. Started reading the new one (The Red-Haired Woman) in a book store, seemed good. Anyone read him? Where to start?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Orhan Pamuk. Started reading the new one (The Red-Haired Woman) in a book store, seemed good. Anyone read him? Where to start?

I've only read My Name Is Red and loved it, but most of his books are well-regarded. I'll probably read The Black Book or The Museum of Innocence when I revisit him.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

seconding My Name is Red. really good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My Name is Red is probably his most popular but I found Snow a much better starting point

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Museum of Innocence is pretty good but Red overshadows it a lot in my memory. Going to check out some of his other stuff soon.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've read this new one, and A Strangeness in my Mind was my first of his. I really liked them both. I saw a documentary+ live talk w/Pamuk about Museum of Innocence a while back, and that's probably gonna be the next one of his that I'll read

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
my Pamuk list: Black Book > My Name Is Red > The Naive and Sentimental Novelist > Snow

none of them were bad tho. i just thought tSnow was a bit too melodramatic and predictable with its metaphors

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

derp posted:

Hello. I would never not finish crime and punishment. how can you ever put it down after porfiry shows up especially

I got back on track with it and am into it again!

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I read a quote from the new Pamuk and now I'm not going to read it or any of his

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Finally loving finished my first reading of Against the Day. It's fantastic in places, especially the ending passage, but I often found myself lost in a sea of historical detail, wondering if I forgot details from earlier in the book that would have made me better understand the chain of events that led to significant moments. I doubt it, though; it seems like a very long, historical version of one of those loosely plotted indy movies where life happens without regard to narrative, if life included stuff like being almost drowned by mayonnaise on a transforming ship or avatars of the Major Arcana. I'll be on the Pynchon wiki, just to make sure.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It#s the birthday of the greatest author the world has ever seen that's right Jorge Luis Borges. Everyobne read his nonfiction and poetry because they are also good even tho people mostly talk about the short stories which are amazing. Remember to post quotes from him as your twitter and facebook statuses so evertyone knows who he is and that he said things like "Hollywood has just enriched tyhis frivolous museum of taratology: by means of a perverse artifice they call dubbing"

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Rereading Borges is incredibly annoying because literally every original thought I have ever had it turns out I read Borges saying it and forgot about it and thought I'd come up with it myself

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CestMoi posted:

Rereading Borges is incredibly annoying because literally every original thought I have ever had it turns out I read Borges saying it and forgot about it and thought I'd come up with it myself

Same with me except with Tom Clancy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

In celebration let's talk about our favorite Borges characters.

Mine is the intellectual who discovers a mystical object that causes him to question his philosophy of reality

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CestMoi posted:

Re-reading Tolkien recently made me realize that for all practical purposes reading too much about Hobbits as a child had made me accidentally become Catholic

lesson being, quit being a loving child and read some real literature

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mine is the intellectual who discovers a mystical object that causes him to question his philosophy of reality

The one in Tlon or the one in the Aleph

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

meet me in the desolate pampas for a knife fight to the death

CestMoi posted:

borges' short stories are so good that they discouraged me from writing fiction, so the world owes him a great debt.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the dude who is frozen in time before he gets executed by a firing squad

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Guy A. Person posted:

the dude who is frozen in time before he gets executed by a firing squad

that was a good one

i also liked the library one though i cant remember why.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

The one in Tlon or the one in the Aleph

Ha no it's the one in Book of Sand, nerd

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
The paralysed nerd who invents a system of numbers that's just incredibly long incoherent list of random poo poo, and gets super pissed off when people tell him it's not a system and he's an idiot

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Manfist posted:

The paralysed nerd who invents a system of numbers that's just incredibly long incoherent list of random poo poo, and gets super pissed off when people tell him it's not a system and he's an idiot

lol what is this, i want to read it

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

meet me in the desolate pampas for a knife fight to the death

borges' short stories are so good that they discouraged me from writing fiction, so the world owes him a great debt.

I wrote something based on a thought about Kafka, Virgil, Gogol either telling peopel to burn their work or actively burning it themselves and how the first 2 clealry didn't actually want their stuff burned and I was pretty pleased with the concept + was working on actually writing it good but I flicked thru Borges' nonfiction today and found a preface to a Kafka collection where he talks about exactly that idea which I probably read a few years ago and unconsciously stole so I'm never going to try and write anything again

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CestMoi posted:

I wrote something based on a thought about Kafka, Virgil, Gogol either telling peopel to burn their work or actively burning it themselves and how the first 2 clealry didn't actually want their stuff burned and I was pretty pleased with the concept + was working on actually writing it good but I flicked thru Borges' nonfiction today and found a preface to a Kafka collection where he talks about exactly that idea which I probably read a few years ago and unconsciously stole so I'm never going to try and write anything again

Write it anyway but adopt Pierre Menard as your not de plume

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

CestMoi posted:

post it

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

derp posted:

lol what is this, i want to read it

Funes the Memorious, I think? Pretty sure I remember it right

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Borges took the ramblings of a stoned philosophy freshman and turned them into high art

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I endorse your campaign to claim your bad posting trophy back from derp

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I endorse your campaign to claim your bad posting trophy back from derp

He was a mere pretender to the throne and you know it

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Borges took the ramblings of a stoned philosophy freshman and turned them into high art

where did philosophy hurt you, show me on the model of the pineal gland

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
borges good. mel bad.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Y'all missed the high art part but I guess I cannot be surprised that you guys have poor reading comprehension :smug:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*squints suspiciously*

I'll allow it. But tread lightly, counsel.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CestMoi posted:

It#s the birthday of the greatest author the world has ever seen that's right Jorge Luis Borges. Everyobne read his nonfiction and poetry because they are also good even tho people mostly talk about the short stories which are amazing. Remember to post quotes from him as your twitter and facebook statuses so evertyone knows who he is and that he said things like "Hollywood has just enriched tyhis frivolous museum of taratology: by means of a perverse artifice they call dubbing"

All the books from all the libraries in all the worlds come in and throw a HUGE party!!!

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
the best borges protagonist is actually the minotaur

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
i read through like half of the arabian nights before i had to give it back to the library, its great, it really runs the gamut of crazy poo poo that can happen to a human without warning. it was like looney tunes. i read the muhsin mahdi translation and there was a nice intro about how it was translated and his growing up with the stories and in looking him up jus t now i find he had been dead ten years so pour one out for him!

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Hushang Golshiri's The Prince is great, liked it better than that other hallucinatory Persian novel. There's more decay and attempted loving in here, and just as much confusion, only instead of drugs it's TB and aristocrats who pawn off their silverware while constantly thinking about their great ancestors killing people by the thousands, with narrative jumping between different POVs and times.

bonus goodreads review:

quote:

This book write by method of Stream of consciousness (narrative mode) . unfortunately this method is not good because i miss clue of story and confused .
From now if i want to read book , certainly don't choose book by this method .
(he gave it 5 stars, btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
not my goodread account just so you know