Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Crocodile Lemmysuchus named after Motorhead's Lemmy

:rock:

quote:

British scientists have named the fossil of a fierce giant crocodile from the Jurassic era after the former lead singer of Motorhead, Lemmy.
Like the hell-raising rock star, the 19ft (5.8m) long beast now called Lemmysuchus was no shrinking violet.
The fossil needed to be renamed after University of Edinburgh scientists realised it had been wrongly classified.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40870977

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Crocodile Lemmysuchus named after Motorhead's Lemmy

:rock:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40870977

Someone should superglue a coco puff to the side of that crocodile's face.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solice Kirsk posted:

Someone should superglue a coco puff to the side of that crocodile's face.

Looks like it already has a huge lump on its cheek :v:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

tentative8e8op posted:

Shah Cheragh mausoleum and mosque, in Shiraz, Iran. When Queen Tashi Khatun expanded the building into a mosque and theological college in the 1340s, she had the ceiling and walls covered in a mosaic of mirrored glass. :yayclod: :sparkles:

Not that being in a collapsing building is fun, but this is one place where I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the rubble. Die Hard in every hallway

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Old lady shoes have gotten so much more bad rear end.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/GIcolIl.gifv

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't know if that counts, but I definitely think it should.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Crossposted from GiP: Sniper Battle with ISIS https://imgur.com/HFPgvlG

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wrong thread

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Old lady shoes have gotten so much more bad rear end.

It's true. My granny is a huge fan of new balance tennis shoes and they all look snazzy.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Waverace 64 HD remaster looking good.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Ah yes, because making a public spectacle and involving others is totally acceptable. Do it in private or with consenting parties. This person was being a selfish jerkoff.

you need to school yourself in suicidal ideation, this response is really simplistic and privileged and dangerous

Heliogabalos has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Aug 21, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Heliogabalos posted:

you need to school yourself in suicidal ideation, this response is really simplistic and privileged and dangerous

Uh... he's not wrong. No one should kill themselves, but jumping in public, or in front of a train/truck is super lovely beyond belief and fucks up lots of people.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_ougro2LXLX1vnq1cr.mp4#_=_

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Heliogabalos posted:

As someone who experiences suicidal thoughts daily I'd say that I know a little something about suicidal ideation and that you're full of poo poo.

drat. I wonder how many times it took this guy to do it. It's pretty impressive regardless.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Heliogabalos posted:

Suicide is pretty inherently selfish. As someone who has battled personally with it, and gotten to see my family deal with the wreckage left in its wake, gently caress this poo poo.

I also grew up half a block from a rail line so I also got to see the leftovers a few times growing up.

Parking your car on the tracks to die can get bystanders killed. Jumping on the tracks just traumatizes everyone involved and at the very least inconveniences hundreds. If you're gonna take the cowards way out then have the decency to do it quietly at home without a mess.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thought the first picture was broccoli. Now I'm googling ethanol trees.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thought the first picture was broccoli. Now I'm googling ethanol trees.

I think their pattern is called canopy or crown shyness.
https://twitter.com/CGdrawing/status/898931121928290304

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

tentative8e8op posted:

I think their pattern is called canopy or crown shyness.
https://twitter.com/CGdrawing/status/898931121928290304

stickly platonic

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

This is just a theory. The whole concept of crown shyness is still under research and debate. Other theories, if i recall, are friction and a light sensitivity thing.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Hover hands for trees.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

What difference does it make how the trees sense that they're touching? Whether it's gas, friction, or light sensitivity, the trees are still sensing each other and not growing into each other.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

hawowanlawow posted:

What difference does it make how the trees sense that they're touching? Whether it's gas, friction, or light sensitivity, the trees are still sensing each other and not growing into each other.

This is a really strange post.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Maybe trees are just really shy and awkward.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
2meIRL4tree

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

hawowanlawow posted:

Why would you not wanna know how it works?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

hawowanlawow posted:

Maybe it is to prevent the tree's own seedlings from getting inhibited by the parent tree? By creating gaps in the canopy, young trees could at least get a foothold. If the trees are relatively slow growing then perhaps it is a way to give their own offspring an advantage instead of having a growth race when a dead tree falls down (just spitballing here)

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Panfilo posted:

Maybe it is to prevent the tree's own seedlings from getting inhibited by the parent tree? By creating gaps in the canopy, young trees could at least get a foothold. If the trees are relatively slow growing then perhaps it is a way to give their own offspring an advantage instead of having a growth race when a dead tree falls down (just spitballing here)

That's another prevailing theory. Something about them growing and leaving enough room for light to still reach the forest floor.

I didn't want to start a fight or piss that one wacko off, I just find this natural phenomena fascinating.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nobody is pissed off, I didn't mean to scare you buddy

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Maybe the trees form a symbiotic relationship with ground vegetation that recycles particular nutrients back into the earth? Whatever it is its a pretty cool phenomenon.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Regardless of how or why they do it, the extent that trees sense things and adapt is badass

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

hawowanlawow posted:

Nobody is pissed off, I didn't mean to scare you buddy

There really isn't a way to interpret your post that doesn't make you skeptical towards the general idea if science. That may not be what you meant to communicate, but that's what the post says.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Hey my dudes whats HAPPENING

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DandyLion posted:

Hey my dudes whats HAPPENING

Gaps in the canopy, making goons confused and angry! Wanna fight about it?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There really isn't a way to interpret your post that doesn't make you skeptical towards the general idea if science. That may not be what you meant to communicate, but that's what the post says.

It's a rhetorical question to point out that the specific mechanism has no bearing on whether it's badass, this being the badass pictures thread

Sorry for the confusion, friendo