Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm just waiting to see what they're doing instead of sandworm this year.

LIGHTSABER WAS NOT A JOKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Zteuer posted:

I think there will be some kind of insect/beetle/bug in 3.0
They currently have 80 something blocker bugs.So yes.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Does anybody know when CIG will lift the review embargo regarding the 3.0 alpha? I mean, hundreds of gaming journalists witnessed the future of gaming today...

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sabreseven posted:

I don't want to watch the vid but,

he gets repeatedly punched in the arse by a massive unlubed dildo on a pneumatic jackhammer mounted under the seat cushion doesn't he?

That's what that contraption looks like it's built for. :shrug:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

tuo posted:

Does anybody know when CIG will lift the review embargo regarding the 3.0 alpha? I mean, hundreds of gaming journalists witnessed the future of gaming today...

Only the "journalists" on the CIG payroll. Also the streamers CIG flew down to Germany.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Just what the gently caress was shown behind closed doors last year in their misspelled booth?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I thought it was "pre-patch" 3.0? CIG loving hate naming conventions it would seem.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just what the gently caress was shown behind closed doors last year in their misspelled booth?

A hairy roberts, if ya know what i mean :pervert:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Colostomy Bag posted:

Same thing that will be shown this year- a scripted tech demo, with people standing over the shoulders to distract/provide tech support any time it begins to glitch out.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
What's the record for a single game making consecutive multiple Gamescom and/or E3 appearances? I mean you should just get embarrassed at some point that it's still not released. Will SC record ever be beaten?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Derek please see if you can get German PM and leader of the free world Angela Merkel to give you a hot take on Star Citizen while she's at Gamescom today.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I was going to ask why you would waste however many thousands of dollars that chair/monitor holder things costs, and not just get a Rift or a Vive. Because that would probably be a million times more immersive, or whatever he's after. But SC will never actually support VR, will it?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kramjacks posted:

But SC will never actually

correct

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Kramjacks posted:

I was going to ask why you would waste however many thousands of dollars that chair/monitor holder things costs, and not just get a Rift or a Vive. Because that would probably be a million times more immersive, or whatever he's after. But SC will never actually support VR, will it?

It can't. It's built from the ground-up with CR's stupid flavor animations that can't work in VR.

Edit: Plus many other things that are just LOL as described much better below:

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 22, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Kramjacks posted:

No. Despite what Citizens are dreaming, VR will never work with Star Citizen. VR games need low poly counts, limited motion (or teleportation), no canned animations, and lots of interactivity. Star Citizen has ultra-high poly counts, full FPS motion with nasty head-bob, canned animations all over the loving place, and zero interactivity. You can split-screen any game and call it "VR" but for it to be any good, it has to be explicitly designed for the experience. Fallout 4 and Skyrim VR coming up this year are going to be prime examples- both are going to be complete UI/movement overhauls from the original games.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

Derek please see if you can get German PM and leader of the free world Angela Merkel to give you a hot take on Star Citizen while she's at Gamescom today.

That's a PS4 controller! :colbert:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

No. Despite what Citizens are dreaming, VR will never work with Star Citizen. VR games need low poly counts, limited motion (or teleportation), no canned animations, and lots of interactivity. Star Citizen has ultra-high poly counts, full FPS motion with nasty head-bob, canned animations all over the loving place, and zero interactivity. You can split-screen any game and call it "VR" but for it to be any good, it has to be explicitly designed for the experience. Fallout 4 and Skyrim VR coming up this year are going to be prime examples- both are going to be complete UI/movement overhauls from the original games.

you could lock everyone into their wank pods so they can lie there wanking but in VR

it's everything a shitzen needs

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

"No no Miss Merkel, Economic Migrant Simulator is over there, look for the bearded whiney guy who complains about airport transit"

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

hot balls man no homo posted:

Only the "journalists" on the CIG payroll. Also the streamers CIG flew down to Germany.

Sounds like FUD

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Derek, presumedly on the ground at Gamescom says:

quote:

The update keeps failing. If you know how borked the patcher is, and how it tries to chew up all available bandwidth for miles around, then you know the rest.

If they were stupid enough to try updating all those machines at the same time, who knows how mad the event network operators are at them. I smell an all nighter for some poor interns.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/900065510112587777
:ohdear:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'd love to hear about Gamescom staff complaining to CIG that their patcher is killing the internet at the event. TheAgent, you know what you must do!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Thread's getting weird again, I like it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Layoffs. Divorce. Avatars.

Is Cameron producing this?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Kramjacks posted:

It has nothing to do with VR. Depending on the kind of sim, the immersion you get can increase with the amount of input you get from your surrounding. What many people completely fail to realize is that a decent full motion sim in many cases is worse than a decent seat mover. I tried out couple of 3dof and 4dof solutions and settled for a seat mover that only cost half the amount of them, because as soon as you are in VR, a clean and ultra-snappy(!) seat mover is much better than a full motion sim - irregardless of how many axis it simulates - that lags. Of course it depends on the simulation you use, and flight/space sims are a little bit more forgiving because you won't have fast, minimal inputs that you need to feel to actually gain something from the whole thing, like when using them in simracing for example.

Having said that, please take a seat in a good(!) VR simulator with either a seat mover or complete motion sim, play whatever for couple of hours (even Elite Dangerous, which doesn't even have shared memory hooks for telemtry so you have to rely on boring joystick input axis mapping) and then turn off the motion sim, and try to play it again. It will feel so loving flat and off and whatever that you will be scratching your head how you could have played this before. Atleast imo....

Then again, I wouldn't buy anything that moves for a non-VR-solution.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Virtual Captain posted:

Derek, presumedly on the ground at Gamescom says:

If they were stupid enough to try updating all those machines at the same time, who knows how mad the event network operators are at them. I smell an all nighter for some poor interns.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/900065510112587777
:ohdear:

Wait CIG still hasn't gotten their poo poo running again? Holy poo poo please let their idiot patcher loving up the bandwidth for an entire convention be the reason CIG is (in the words of Sandi) uber hosed.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'd love to hear about Gamescom staff complaining to CIG that their patcher is killing the internet at the event. TheAgent, you know what you must do!
Unfortunately, I have stopped playing Star Citizen until 3.0 comes out.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wait CIG still hasn't gotten their poo poo running again? Holy poo poo please let their idiot patcher loving up the bandwidth for an entire convention be the reason CIG is (in the words of Sandi) uber hosed.

Who has that picture of what happens to your computer when you try to download star citizen and it chokes your bandwidth to death

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

"Goddamnit Dennis, what is it? It's 3 o clock in the morning..."
"Boss, the gamescom network...I think there's a DoS running...but somehow the filters didn't stop it...it seems like...it's coming from within this building..."
"CIG's patching..."
"Oh...right...sorry, forgot about that...good night, boss"

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Humanevil lets rub!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

Unfortunately, I have stopped playing Star Citizen until 3.0 comes out.

Im asking about scoops at Gamescom you fool! Tell Jimmy his shift is over and swap over to Dan!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving Madden has a story campaign now that is more immersive and better produced than whatever the hell Squadron 42 will turn into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZoFk7Ms-c8

Five bucks says the writing doesn't come close to this. There's even one part where they go to a military base in Dubai to play crate smashing with Dan Marino. And you even play football against a woman, something Star Citizen has yet to imagine

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Given what convention halls costs are for vendors, it is probably cheaper to charter a jet in with a USB stick than it is to use their internet connection.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
frankly im disappointed that most of the 500 or so posts since yesterday are about dumb avatar shenanigans

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Did you ever consider that you were doing it wrong?
I can confirm they were. I watched the video all the way through and not only was there erupting volcano footage i didn't understand the relevance of until later in life, but at the end there was video of L Ron himself delivering a monologue that concluded with "If you don't believe in Scientology you're stupid"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Im asking about scoops at Gamescom you fool! Tell Jimmy his shift is over and swap over to Dan!
I think the major scoop is that 3.0 is actually there, playable and pretty amazing. I know the thread doesn't want to hear it, but CIG trounced both Derek and this entire forum with what they are showing.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Snazzy Frocks posted:

frankly im disappointed that most of the 500 or so posts since yesterday are about dumb avatar shenanigans

Having just caught up, Dereks meltdown and idiotic lashing out at everyone around him was somewhat entertaining. Not as much as the poo poo show that "3.0" is turning out to be thought, but take what you can get.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I am in no way being supported or paid directly by CIG. That's simply ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

yall quit bein weird