Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

The worst part is that they never want to avail their cosmically enlighted super brain to every part of ridiculousness in the entertainment.

"You drove into that guy doing 80 MPH, force field or not, he's dead."

"Wow, a beanbag from a cannon that big would kill him."

Yet never a word about the woman/plant or the genetic abomination combined of man and bat.

Arkham Knight is still really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gorn Myson posted:

Its pedantry disguised as analysis. A few years ago I was thinking of doing a piss-take of that kind of perspective by taking movies beloved by nerds, nit-picking them to death and then declaring that they're a worthless addition to any culture. Then I realised that it'd be a total slog because its extremely easy to do, its incredibly boring and is utterly joyless.

Plus that wouldn't really be a piss-take (at least, not of CinemaSins in particular) since a lot of CinemaSins' videos are already about movies beloved by nerds.

(I know you weren't really focused on them in particular in that thought, I'm just saying that this seems to be their default way of approaching any media, not just attacking stuff outside their interests. It honestly seems to sincerely be how they engage with media on their part.)

Idran fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 22, 2017

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger
I found this essay on the cinematography of master director Niel Breen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS98pUd7Cbg

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

CelticPredator posted:

Riffing can be bad if not worse. It's also impossible to be funny if you don't have jokes already written out or thought of before hand.

Improv riffing can be funny, but it is much harder to pull off.

Neeksy posted:

In other words, it's using an arbitrary set of standards against which they ding the movie every time it violates said standards. None of the errors attack the central conceits of the films they criticize, they're surface-level nitpicks built around making the author appear deeply discerning rather than just thick.

The thing that annoys me regarding Cinemasins is that their ignorance of movies is sometimes put upon. They can question why something happened in one moment, and then down the road, they betray in another "joke" that they knew the reason why first thing happened. To me, that kind of "feigned ignorance for a joke" style of critique just shows you have nothing funny to contribute.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

The worst part is that they never want to avail their cosmically enlighted super brain to every part of ridiculousness in the entertainment.

"You drove into that guy doing 80 MPH, force field or not, he's dead."

"Wow, a beanbag from a cannon that big would kill him."

Yet never a word about the woman/plant or the genetic abomination combined of man and bat.
That's accepted fantasy versus continued stretching of disbelief. Like, the whole not-killing-dudes thing is core to the Batman mythos, so when you constant find excuses for a villain or crook to not be dead, it starts to feel tacked on and without real purpose. A mutant bat doesn't violate that core of the character. Batman doing something that could quite easily kill a person, but the dude lucked out, starts to erode at your disbelief.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Batman can kill if the filmmakers want him too

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
"Batman doesn't kill people" always seemed like a bizarre trait for basically every adaptation to latch onto. He's a superhero. Most of the popular ones don't. It's not even weird.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It always worked a lot stronger for Superman because it gave him a real limitation.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robotic Folksinger posted:

I found this essay on the cinematography of master director Niel Breen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS98pUd7Cbg

This is a shockingly brutal teardown of how shallow most film criticism on Youtube is. Rossatron is the absolute worst for this, and how he constantly talks about "action" as if that means anything on its own.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

It always worked a lot stronger for Superman because it gave him a real limitation.

Tell that to Zod's snapped neck

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

That's accepted fantasy versus continued stretching of disbelief. Like, the whole not-killing-dudes thing is core to the Batman mythos, so when you constant find excuses for a villain or crook to not be dead, it starts to feel tacked on and without real purpose. A mutant bat doesn't violate that core of the character. Batman doing something that could quite easily kill a person, but the dude lucked out, starts to erode at your disbelief.

I'm pointing out that they're things that aren't realistic meanwhile the other unrealistic factors in the game just seem to get glossed over.

Like someone else mentioned about there being no sound in space so space fights in Star Wars make no sense. Pedantic nitpickery like that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXZgJ8hWoQk

uuuuuunnnnngggghhhhghghghggghhhh white people

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Isn't that also the point for Batman? He's a genius strategist and tactician with iron-hard conviction and the wealth of a small nation. Not killing isn't just proof of his morality, but a form of submission, a way to show that for all his power, he still leaves the actual punishment of the people he catches up to the law of the land.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

Isn't that also the point for Batman? He's a genius strategist and tactician with iron-hard conviction and the wealth of a small nation. Not killing isn't just proof of his morality, but a form of submission, a way to show that for all his power, he still leaves the actual punishment of the people he catches up to the law of the land.

Nah we're all full full fash now, this billionaire should just indiscriminately murder people on the streets of gotham to show how dedicated he is to serving his city. Really trying to solve crime without slaughtering endless reams of purse snatchers and petty crooks is unrealistic and silly, and not an idea we should promote in our superheros for children.

Maybe rename him BatDuterte?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

It should be, but the Batman comics seem to love making him go full on fascist from time to time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't know anyone who wants Batman to kill everyone. It's The Joker people are tired of and think the excuses for him still being alive are bullshit.

Like that Punisher/Batman crossover written by notable Batman and Punisher write Chuck Dixon had Batman tell Th Joker to run away so Frank couldn't kill him.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXZgJ8hWoQk

uuuuuunnnnngggghhhhghghghggghhhh white people

loving white people :barf:

god they deserve to be put in camps

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Batman without the no-kill policy pretty much turns into Punisher but less interesting.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

Batman without the no-kill policy pretty much turns into Punisher but less interesting.

The exception being Terry's time as Batman. He would just loving murder people outright, but he was also a member of the underclass fighting evil CEO's in a cyberpunk gotham. :ussr:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Playstation 4 posted:

But enough about Doug Walker

Does anyone know when the next episodes of Pop Quiz Hotshot are airing?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

What the hell? :confused:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I remember there being a humor article (I think it was on GameSpy), where they were poking fun of Batman: Arkham Asylum, because there was a thing with the enemy models (not sure if it was intentional or not) where upon being knocked out, they clutch their head in their hands. The joke they made was, "Batman might not kill people, but he rather he beats them up so badly that they end up in a vegetative state."

EDIT: Ah, here it is: https://web.archive.org/web/20100312034640/http://www.gamespy.com:80/articles/105/1051048p2.html

GameSpy - Humor | Stupid Moments in Videogame Design posted:

Batman is a comic book character with one hang-up: using guns. He doesn't like killing people... Well, unless we're talking about the movie Batmans, who got throwing people off buildings down to a science. Oh, and a bunch of videogame Batmans actually did carry guns, and shot people with them. So maybe that no-guns rule isn't particularly well-kept.

The latest videogame to bear his name (and surprisingly do it justice) is Batman: Arkham Asylum. Here, too, we witness Batman's willy-nilly nature shine through. He hits inmates so hard they go into this weird animation where they grab their heads and seize up, which should be taken to mean they are now vegetables. Good thing Arkham Asylum has a renowned medical ward -- virtually every inmate will be getting their meals through tubes from now on. Over the course of the game, Batman throws batarangs at criminals' heads, yanks inmates off high ledges with the bat-claw, smashes faces with lead pipes, tosses enemies into electrical fences, and caves in throats with palm strikes. Sure, Batman doesn't kill people... except when he does, all the time.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 23, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Batman and Superman don't kill for moral reasons, ffs. Supes won't kill because he has the ability not to and with no limits he will do anything he can to preserve lufe, when taking it is so easy.
Batman doesn't kill to set himself apart from criminals because he walks a super fine line between being a vigilante and just another crook. Killing, especially with guns, represents a failure on his part.

It's also important to realize these are only justifications the characters give themselves, not some blanket statement for all heroes. Batman is a crazy person who rationalizes non lethal combat by not using guns no matter how hosed up his targets get in the process.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People don't really care about whether or not Superman or Batman kill people so much as they care how comfortable or uncomfortable it is, since they have long histories of no-kill codes that stick to people's minds. The key to all of this is that it's only ever these two characters who get this treatment.

No one cares that Nolan's Batman killed Harvey Dent or Talia, because it's presented in a matter-of-fact, non-sensationalist manner that rather glosses over the fact what happened. It's simply not a big deal. In contrast people object to Batman leaving Ra's al-Ghul to die because it's so obviously contrived and is a big dramatic moment. And of course you can tell Zod's snapped neck about Superman's no-killing code. Every other superhero is a moot point because people don't care (see all the complaints about Wonder Woman killing).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Batman and Superman don't kill for moral reasons, ffs. Supes won't kill because he has the ability not to and with no limits he will do anything he can to preserve lufe, when taking it is so easy.
Batman doesn't kill to set himself apart from criminals because he walks a super fine line between being a vigilante and just another crook. Killing, especially with guns, represents a failure on his part.

It's also important to realize these are only justifications the characters give themselves, not some blanket statement for all heroes. Batman is a crazy person who rationalizes non lethal combat by not using guns no matter how hosed up his targets get in the process.

Actually the whole thing with not using guns is derived from his parents being gunned down in an alleyway :eng101:.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Actually the reason he doesn't use guns is due to a lawsuit threatened by the publishers of the Shadow comic.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That happened once. It was called Fyre Fest, and it was a beautiful train wreck.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

not really critic specific i guess, but h3h3 won the lawsuit matt hoss brought against them and the judge called the case a quintessential example of fair use. this is a huge win for fair use (that will nevertheless be ignored by any number of larger companies who falsely issue takedowns on things that should fall under fair use).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Well, Actual Lawyer Leonard French did an hour+ long stream earlier today, reading/talking about the decision. It's a bit interesting, to me at least, to consider a copyright attorney as an internet reviewer because he reviews current court cases and talks about US law, but I'd still say it counts.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

financially racist posted:

not really critic specific i guess, but h3h3 won the lawsuit matt hoss brought against them and the judge called the case a quintessential example of fair use. this is a huge win for fair use (that will nevertheless be ignored by any number of larger companies who falsely issue takedowns on things that should fall under fair use).

THis was one of the dudes who ran the CS:GO Gambling site, right?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dragonatrix posted:

Well, Actual Lawyer Leonard French did an hour+ long stream earlier today, reading/talking about the decision. It's a bit interesting, to me at least, to consider a copyright attorney as an internet reviewer because he reviews current court cases and talks about US law, but I'd still say it counts.

leonard french rules and i think he should count for this thread due to his knowledge of copyright law and the importance of fair use in internet culture right now. haven't watched his video on this yet but will.

BigRed0427 posted:

THis was one of the dudes who ran the CS:GO Gambling site, right?

i don't think so, no. matt hoss is just some idiot who makes bad videos and sued h3h3 when they took one of his videos and showed how dumb and bad it was and how the guy is a hugely misogynistic shitbag.

i know nothing about h3h3 other than they are apparently also kind of dumb for their own reasons but them winning this case is a good thing regardless.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea h3h3 sucks super hard but he was 100% in the right in that case

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

H3h3 owns actually. Sorry to break it to you like this.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sexpig by night posted:

yea h3h3 sucks super hard but he was 100% in the right in that case

Ethan amuses me because he has to be one of the most Israeli-sounding non-Israelis I've ever heard. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10BxccZP1kE

That aged.. poorly..

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Youtubers who are otherwise pretty ok very quickly become giant shitbags when their fellow youtubers become victims of...normal journalism! (scare chord)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They're actually friends with these people. Like, they know each other and hang out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CelticPredator posted:

They're actually friends with these people. Like, they know each other and hang out.

That makes it worse really.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You've never had friends you've known for years start spouting poo poo you never saw coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What does that have to do with anything.

• Locked thread