Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Koopa Kid posted:

The league always had the power to just reject the backdiving contracts in the first place though, it's not like their hands were tied.

I'm not sure they really did. They couldn't set strict contract limits without re-negotiating the CBA and a lot of the back-diving contracts sort of looked ok if you squinted at them right. Like, Crosby for 12 years at age 25, that seems vaguely reasonable. The NHLPA would have been appealing some of those rejections and they would have gone to arbitration or something. The Kovalchuk contract was just completely nuts enough that they had to reject it, and then that set sort of an unfortunately low standard.

edit: I forgot that they sort of blessed all the post-Kovalchuk contracts https://www.nhl.com/news/kovy-deal-registered-as-nhl-nhlpa-reach-settlement/c-536524

Thufir fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zodijackylite posted:

I just think that retroactively applying rules like this is really lovely. On the other hand, the Red Wings' cap situation is such a mess that this will probably help force the inevitable for the team, and probably Ken Holland, too.

A Typical Goon posted:

I don't see them getting rid of recapture penalty cause it would end up with the players getting more than their 50% share and the owners would never do that even if the GMs are down

The NHL was pushing for this, not the players. The NHL is the owners. They didn't accidentally add this during the last lockout & CBA negotiations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

The NHL was pushing for this, not the players. The NHL is the owners. They didn't accidentally add this during the last lockout & CBA negotiations.

Though I bet certain owners are super pissed about it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
yes there are always lovely old boy owners like jacobs etc that are the main voices behind whining about how things aren't fair and they need to gently caress everyone else over

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Thufir posted:

I'm not sure they really did. They couldn't set strict contract limits without re-negotiating the CBA and a lot of the back-diving contracts sort of looked ok if you squinted at them right. Like, Crosby for 12 years at age 25, that seems vaguely reasonable. The NHLPA would have been appealing some of those rejections and they would have gone to arbitration or something. The Kovalchuk contract was just completely nuts enough that they had to reject it, and then that set sort of an unfortunately low standard.

I didn't say anything about contract limits, the league can reject a contract they think the player doesn't intend to honour as that violates the second paragraph of the standard SPC. The mechanism would have been the exact same as for rejecting the Kovalchuk deal, and sure that contract was extreme but everyone knew what was happening with the Luongo, Zetterberg, and Franzen contracts. They absolutely didn't have to approve those deals.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If you don't see the cycle by now you're being obtuse.

* GM's gently caress things up trying to appease owners
* Things get too hosed up for business to be done
* League office locks out, hosed up rules removed
* New loopholes found

Nobody nowhere should be an owner's guy.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Jordan7hm posted:

It was Burke's pet rule to vindicate himself having refused to give out those contracts. He was alternate governor of the Leafs at the time, and their organization basically just wanted to get back to playing because they make money no matter what. It was a minor thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's always Toronto's fault, spoiler.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

I didn't say anything about contract limits, the league can reject a contract they think the player doesn't intend to honour as that violates the second paragraph of the standard SPC. The mechanism would have been the exact same as for rejecting the Kovalchuk deal, and sure that contract was extreme but everyone knew what was happening with the Luongo, Zetterberg, and Franzen contracts. They absolutely didn't have to approve those deals.

But even the nutso Kovalchuk one got appealed by the NHLPA, maybe the Zetterberg and Franzen ones seemed like they might have made it past an arbiter, they only backdive for 2 years and a million bucks is still a lot of money. Chris Chelios was still an active NHL-ish player! With 20/20 hindsight yeah, they should have drawn a line sooner (probably with the Hossa contract) but I could see them kinda not being sure what limits they could get away with setting.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zodijackylite posted:

It was Burke's pet rule to vindicate himself having refused to give out those contracts. He was alternate governor of the Leafs at the time, and their organization basically just wanted to get back to playing because they make money no matter what. It was a minor thing.

There's no way this was just a minor thing that happened to slip by 29 owners.

DOOMocrat posted:

If you don't see the cycle by now you're being obtuse.

* Things get too hosed up for business to be done
* League office locks out, hosed up rules removed
* New loopholes found

Nobody nowhere should be an owner's guy.

GMs aren't loving anything up. Lockouts aren't about hosed up rules, they're about lowering the % of revenue being spent on labour.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

GMs aren't loving anything up. Lockouts aren't about hosed up rules, they're about lowering the % of revenue being spent on labour.

GM's are *always* loving things up. They had to get rid of cash for players, these cap aversion deals, AHL hideaways and soon NMC's because they're spending for that edge, which leads to more cash spent on labor. All of the previous things are GM caused. And now that fringe benefits & local tax rates are an increased part of every player's decision I bet we'll see movements to legislate that away from the GM's as well. I mean, it's not a mystery why they take these risks, you're out on your rear end if you don't perform. But the teams shouldn't get it both ways either.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nobody is signing deals that are fifty million dollars without ownership approval.

They get rid of these things because they are loopholes to allow more money into the system that ends up in the player's pockets.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/900121297342021632

please be true
please be true
please be true

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
FIRE HOLLAND

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Lou please, offer sheet this poor child.

Good god Fire Ken Holland.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don't know who that reporter guy is but lol if someone as good as Athanasiou has to play in loving Russia because his team is too dumb to sign him.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yes someone please offer sheet AA so holland can use the extra pick on a guy who can't skate or score 5v5

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

lol if true, but im skeptical considering the source.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Dhaliwal is legit but he doesn't report a lot on markets outside of Vancouver

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

grack posted:

Dhaliwal is legit but he doesn't report a lot on markets outside of Vancouver

which is why i question the source. kind of odd that a leak of this size would come from a beat reporter from BC.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Welcome to RAS Teemu :3:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

loving :lol: if there's even a shred of legitimacy about this. JFC Holland :psyduck:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
He probably knows quite a few people in hockey. Let's be honest - most of the hockey writers in Detroit are team mouthpieces, Exhibit A being all the hit pieces published on Mrazek prior to the expansion draft.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

has there ever been a Canadian player of his caliber gently caress off to russia at his age?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

grack posted:

He probably knows quite a few people in hockey. Let's be honest - most of the hockey writers in Detroit are team mouthpieces, Exhibit A being all the hit pieces published on Mrazek prior to the expansion draft.

I've never read a good piece of journalism from the Detroit beat writers. The Athletic's focus on Detroit immediately became the best coverage without question.

I'm not completely sold that AA can be a consistent scorer but he's so obviously better than 90% of this team. It's loving absurd if they let him go, especially for nothing, especially especially because of how much loving money they've given to total chodes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I just joined Athletic and their detroit crew is pretty solid

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

they should have signed AA first then literally invited other teams to offer sheet tatar.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gio posted:

has there ever been a Canadian player of his caliber gently caress off to russia at his age?

This is definitely the year to do it. He becomes one of the better Olympics players and raises his profile. (Just kidding the old boys club wouldn't pick him for the team if he leaves to Russia)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Devils go get him

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

lmao

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gio posted:

which is why i question the source. kind of odd that a leak of this size would come from a beat reporter from BC.

He's as reliable a source as you can get though. I think he's trying to position himself as a major insider. Then again his major sources are all player agents and this could just be negotiating through the media.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

let him go, especially for nothing

bah gawd that's ken holland's music

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

ThinkTank posted:

I'm a Canucks fan so obviously that's my strongest frame of reference, but I watched my team go through two miserable years where they never won and never changed their strategy or style even slightly. They stuck to the same tired breakout, the same lazy powerplay drop pass, the same high forecheck and rapid regroup into the neutral zone with absolutely no change in results. Perhaps trying a more attacking system just once to try and entertain folks would be good? Maybe don't train the youngsters (those that they bothered to use) to play the same unsuccessful, insipid play style knowing full well it doesn't work?

That's why I am extremely skeptical about the hiring of Travis Green. I also cannot figure out how Desjardins never lost the room playing this godawfully predictable system and abysmal power play. My guess is the locker room culture is closely governed by the Sedins, who have never question a coach, even that utter cretin Tortorella.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

fits posted:

cant wait for the final couple years of the weber contract to start :munch:

holmgren should go in the hhof for that offer sheet alone

I strongly suspect Weber is gonna make his way out to Robidas island in about 4-5 years.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

give holland the chair

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

According to Custance, Athanasiou has received an offer from the KHL

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

According to Custance, Athanasiou has received an offer from the KHL

lmao

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i would still assume this is just being used as leverage in contract negotiations and he'll invariably end up signing with the Wings. good on him, as far as i'm concerned. gently caress ken holland.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I've spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out the Wings' cap situation in Armchair GM mode, and I still can't. Looking at this right now: https://capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

Send Jensen, Witkowski, and Sproul to the AHL. Jensen might get picked up by a team with cap space as a #7.
Keep Svechnikov and Rasmussen in the NHL.
Franzen to LTIR before the season.
Don't sign AA.
The team could still go over the cap from Larkin and Rasmussen's performance bonuses, even if they don't sign AA and Franzen's cap hit vanishes.
That's with 12F/6D/2G

Basically every player with any trade value has a NTC, except Zetterberg and Tatar and the guys on ELCs.

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Performance bonuses count against next year's cap, no?

• Locked thread