Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is it bad that i forgot who the two jabronis at the tree were;

Like who the gently caress are they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The girl (Gersten) is Donna's youngest, piano playing sister. The boy (Steven) is Amanda Seyfried's abusive husband.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
But the scene originally misleads you into thinking he shot Pons before showing that he is fine. It doesn't stop being ambiguous just because one possibility is crossed off.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

is it bad that i forgot who the two jabronis at the tree were;

Like who the gently caress are they

steven - becky's boyfriend. cheatingon her with gersten heyward. he has been seen applying for a job at Mike's, picking up becky from the diner, beating the poo poo out of becky, and I think that's it.

gersten has really only been seen briefly in the stairwell of her apartment when becky was there shooting at the door.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tap my mountain posted:

But the scene originally misleads you into thinking he shot Pons before showing that he is fine. It doesn't stop being ambiguous just because one possibility is crossed off.

It seemed pretty clear to me that the reporter had hosed off before we heard any gunshot, but I haven't watched it since Sunday so I could be remembering wrong. Not once did I think Steven shot anyone but himself.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tap my mountain posted:

That's what the scene was misleading you into thinking if you can't hear the dialogue. when you can understand it, it's explicitly discussing suicide, and then he kills himself. the real question is what did he do and who is 'she'.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tap my mountain posted:

What? You physically see the guy walk away and then there's like a solid minute of silence before the gunshot

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

What? You physically see the guy walk away and then there's like a solid minute of silence before the gunshot

its only 13 seconds. if you watch it thinking the danger is Frost getting shot because you couldn't hear the dialogue, it is a perfect amount of time for Steven to get up, catch up to Frost and cap him. but ya he suicided.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
That gun you like is about to come back in style.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I just think that Lynch left it ambiguous for a reason and if he wanted you to be sure he killed himself he'd show more than him talking about it. For all we know it'll end up he shot Jerry.

You know Jerry never did have a golden shovel on him

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The real question we should be asking is if he killed Becky, which might have been what he was rambling about toward the beginning, and if the answer is yes I will be very cross

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why don't you dudes saying you can't hear stuff use subtitles

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CJacobs posted:

The real question we should be asking is if he killed Becky, which might have been what he was rambling about toward the beginning, and if the answer is yes I will be very cross

Didn't Seyfried say she would be playing a Laura-esque role? I've been wondering all season if that means she's dying, or is just in reference to her character very clearly being a mashup of Laura and a young Shelly.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
thanks, i remember that doofus now

also i accidentently turned off the sound during the scene where booper talks to the Bowie Kettle and I thought it was supposed to be silent and that we had to decipher what booper was saying through lip-reading and I was like "David Lynch you BRILLIANT MOTHERFUCKER , what an insane genius"

until richard horne showed up and it didnt makes sense anymore, so i rewound

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Lord Krangdar posted:

I don't know if Frost and Lynch even care about canon all that much. They just do what they want. Like having Deer Meadow suddenly change locations.

It's a new trailer park!!! It says "NEW Fat Trout Trailer Park" right there on the sign!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Your Parents posted:

It's a new trailer park!!! It says "NEW Fat Trout Trailer Park" right there on the sign!

True, but didn't the entire town move too or am I remembering wrong?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just the trailer park. Not sure where you got the town thing from.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A reminder that there is a book called The Final Dossier coming out Halloween. Prepare for disappointment as there is no way for it to answer the right amount. either it will be too much or too little.

quote:

Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier tells us what happened to key characters in the twenty-five years in between the events of the first series and the second, offering details and insights fans will be clamoring for. The novel also adds context and commentary to the strange and cosmic happenings of the new series.

Is Secret History a good read or just kind of a 'heres some more info' kind of thing

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The pole moved

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

The Walrus posted:

A reminder that there is a book called The Final Dossier coming out Halloween. Prepare for disappointment as there is no way for it to answer the right amount. either it will be too much or too little.

Is Secret History a good read or just kind of a 'heres some more info' kind of thing

its really cool and contextualizes the whole series with western hermetic occultism, ufos, cryptids, ancient prophecy and magic, etc

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

he might be thinking of the pole, which has been in old fat trout, as well as twin peaks - when Mike yells at leland in FWWM and when Richard kills the kid (think these are the same loca)

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
also you get to find out what the bookhouse boys' favorite books are

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Walrus posted:

Eh, it's a very nice-looking book and provides some interesting info on a few characters, but it retcons or seriously contradicts a ton of canon, so it ultimately feels sloppy like it's fanfiction or something.

I liked reading most of it before the new season, but looking back on it, it's better to just read a wiki if you want the same raw info.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Your Parents posted:

also you get to find out what the bookhouse boys' favorite books are

sold!

I`ve been thinking about the link between the convenience store and the pole - are there any other inanimate corporeal entities in the series that have been shown to be able to change locations? It`s been posited that the pole is a physical agent of the Arm, could the Convenience store be the same sort of concept

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Escobarbarian posted:

Maybe from the book. Its hard to remember.

The Walrus posted:

It didn't feel like Twin Peaks to me, but it was interesting and it grounds a lot of the little details from this new season in a wider world.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think it has been confirmed somewhere they moved Deer Meadow closer to Twin Peaks. But I'm pretty sure Carl's new trailer park is in TP and not DM.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Krangdar posted:

Maybe from the book. Its hard to remember.

I think actually there is a continuity error with Deer Meadow.. like someone mentions how long it takes to get there or something and it`s contradicted... I don`t really remember either though. Alright I`m gonna take a lil break from posting in this thread for now :)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean, it has always been close enough for Laura and Leland to take day trips there. It's just been scooted closer, I think.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

In case anyone wanted to know, here's a link to a spreadsheet with a list of inconsistencies in the book:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XEvoZzu9XUU13cWcELbJ3vQ2M--lnnGowrElBTRec8M/edit?usp=sharing

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

tap my mountain posted:

The pole moved
I'm guessing the pole moves/disappears the same way the convenience store does.

EDIT: And maybe we didn't see Steven killing himself because they had already used up their budget for that incredible Duncan Todd kill scene.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The Walrus posted:

I think that's just because Lynch wanted to focus on Gersten's reaction. I'll agree I was a bit thrown off by the scene because I couldn't hear the dialogue but it's pretty unambiguous once you get the whole sense of things.

Lynch voice: "acts like hes never seen a suicide before".

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

esperterra posted:

I mean, it has always been close enough for Laura and Leland to take day trips there. It's just been scooted closer, I think.

Yeah, the location of Deer Meadow has always been kind of weird since Twin Peaks is supposed to be near the Canadian border and Deer Meadow is supposed to be in Oregon which is like a 3-4 hour drive minimum.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wasn't Deer Meadow always in Washingon? Just on the Oregon border or whatever. I should know this because I rewatched FWWM before season 3, then again I'm always stoned.

e: like i always thought desmond flew into portland bc its a closer drive to deer meadow than seattle. granted the geography is still hosed b/c of the casual trips laura and leland must have been taking

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

esperterra posted:

e: like i always thought desmond flew into portland bc its a closer drive to deer meadow than seattle. granted the geography is still hosed b/c of the casual trips laura and leland must have been taking

It's a pretty short trip if you go through a certain convenience store

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tap my mountain posted:

It's a pretty short trip if you go through a certain convenience store

True.

Also re: Deer Meadow being in Washington, in the pilot Cooper says Banks' body was found in the southeast corner of the state, which must be why I thought it was in Washington in FWWM. Seems like the state has always been the same, but Secret History moved it north to be a neighbouring county to TP.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

In case anyone wanted to know, here's a link to a spreadsheet with a list of inconsistencies in the book:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XEvoZzu9XUU13cWcELbJ3vQ2M--lnnGowrElBTRec8M/edit?usp=sharing

I would tend to think that (most of) the errors are intentional, at least as far as season 3 goes with the errors instead of the original information. For example, Norma saying she has no family last episode, when her mother and sister were in the original series, goes along with her mother having died in 1984 in the book and neither season 3 or the book mentioning Annie.

https://twitter.com/mfrost11/status/788854512807243776

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Wasn't the whole reason the FBI was called in to investigate because Teresa Banks's body had crossed state lines? Or am I misremembering?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

pyrotek posted:

I would tend to think that (most of) the errors are intentional, at least as far as season 3 goes with the errors instead of the original information. For example, Norma saying she has no family last episode, when her mother and sister were in the original series, goes along with her mother having died in 1984 in the book and neither season 3 or the book mentioning Annie.

there's also a stamp in the book that seems to indicate that the moon landing happened on a different date than it actually did in real life, which lends credence to the idea that the other inconsistencies are deliberate

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pyrotek posted:

friggin whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Becky is worthless; I hope he killed her. :colbert: