Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Modus Man posted:

I spent last week driving the northern half of PCH in a rental Civic and was utterly shocked that almost every time I came up behind another vehicle they would pull off into one of the millions of pull-off areas to let me pass. Mostly shocked because we don't have pull-off areas like that anywhere in Michigan and even if we did, nobody driving around here would give a flying gently caress if they held up cars behind them.

Also, this was my first time driving a car in like 10 years, we only have suvs, but I had a total blast bombing around the northern PCH in that Civic and now I totally see the appeal of being able to fling something lightweight like that around on breathtaking roads like that. Totally useless here, but super fun there.

Not sure how far north you went, but I've driven Hwy 1 north of the Gate a bunch. You're right, people do tend to be aware of traffic behind them and turn out at the next safe opportunity. Except for Prius drivers. If I'm stuck behind a car that is slowing to 11mph at every slight bend there is a 99% chance it's a Prius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I had trouble with pull offs in mid North Carolina because the locals would crawl so far up my rear end I was genuinely afraid to slow down enough to pull into them. Am I a huge pussy? Maybe. Does having an F-250 so close to my bumper I can't see anything but grill scare the poo poo out of me? Absolutely.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sleepy.eyes posted:

I had trouble with pull offs in mid North Carolina because the locals would crawl so far up my rear end I was genuinely afraid to slow down enough to pull into them. Am I a huge pussy? Maybe. Does having an F-250 so close to my bumper I can't see anything but grill scare the poo poo out of me? Absolutely.

Turn on your turn signal ahead of time and they'll probably back off.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My general rule is turn signal on before braking or coasting

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Naw, you don't signal until you've been in the turn lane for 40 yards. Don't want to run out of blinker fluid you know.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm not going to defend it, but the reason people (generally locals) tailgate the gently caress out of people in that situation is that they've found that on those roads, lots of people don't ever seem to notice that the person behind them wants to pass if they keep a reasonable following distance (also, you probably missed a few unmarked turnouts) or that out of the area people just don't see a reason to move over unless they're intimidated. Years of unscientific research on CA1 has shown that nice guys finish last stuck behind some europeans or midwesterners in a mustang convertible doing 20mph in a 55.
The turn signal shows you're going to move over and calms people down real fast.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I had a tailgating situation the other day and had a similar thought. Gave the guy ample opportunity but it turns out he was just being a moron.

I was in the center of three lanes and he flew up my rear end and stayed absolutely glued to my bumper. I've never had someone follow so close. I was going 5 over the limit, the right lane was ending, and the left lane was open. I waited for a few thousand feet after the right lane closed just to make sure he wasn't trying to prove some point about me pulling over to allow faster traffic to pass, but to no avail.

So I slowed down. He got pissed. Passed me on the left like he should have done ages ago. I gave him a quarter mile of space or so and we cruised along together for the remaining several miles of that road (he wasn't turning or anything either.)

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I would have happily turned off to get him out of my vision, but when the turn off is an unmarked car length of gravel on the side of a mountain, if I don't get to slow the gently caress down me turning off becomes me rocketing into the valley below and dying.

e: Not that I didn't share his rage when I got stuck behind an RV the next day and the fucker refused to pull over into the legit ones.

e2: That's the same trip where some dipshit was having a picnic on a run-away truck ramp.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 19, 2017

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You can spill all the words you want about why you were right on to this page but the jist of it is that you didn't want to pull over and let faster traffic by. That excuse is laughable.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Whatever you say, man. I am duly chastised. :rolleyes:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There are two intersections near my work that have dual left-turn lanes without lane guidance markings that go into the intersection. It goes about as well as you think it would. You really need to stagger to make sure the adjacent lane doesn't turn into you.

Yeah, this happens when the intersections are marked too, but having them unmarked just seems extra stupid.

Also the entire suburb has really poorly programmed traffic lights. The sequence is all wrong and leaves the intersections empty for large amounts of time.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

sleepy.eyes posted:

Whatever you say, man. I am duly chastised. :rolleyes:

Well I'm really sorry man I didn't want to chastise you but these other guys that want to were right behind me and I was afraid that if I didn't do it they'd run right into the back of me

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
wait a minute, posting on the internet doesn't involve people travelling behind you :thunk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do not engage nsaP, probations are down that road.

(though to be fair, you still probably should have pulled over but I wasn't there so whatever)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Ferret King posted:

There are two intersections near my work that have dual left-turn lanes without lane guidance markings that go into the intersection. It goes about as well as you think it would. You really need to stagger to make sure the adjacent lane doesn't turn into you.

Yeah, this happens when the intersections are marked too, but having them unmarked just seems extra stupid.

Here is an intersection I use regularly on my way to work. The double left turn is clearly marked, as are the double left turn lanes on the road you turn onto (Warner).

I would guess that about 1 time in 10 that I use this intersection I see some idiot use the yellow path instead of the green, cutting off people in the process of getting back into the lane on Warner instead of the left turn only lane that they stupidly turned into.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

shortspecialbus posted:

Some dumb fucker today merged right into me without looking. I was able to slam the brakes and dive into the curb to avoid them, and laid on the horn. Missed them by about an inch or two tops, I think. Now my front left wheel has curb rash on it :(

People switching lanes without looking drives me god drat batty. I was right next to him, maybe my front bumper was a foot behind his front bumper.

Happened to my dad going through a construction site. Some dumb cyclist came flying out in front of him so he had to quickly turn to the side where stones 'n poo poo were. Scratched up his front rim pretty bad. Thanks cyclist, that rim probably cost 800-900 bucks. Hard to repair as well since the finish has a very fine patters (why would you do that, Volvo...).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://fat.gfycat.com/MeaslyDistortedGenet.mp4

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That... worked out better than I thought it would.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
This is the exit I contend with every day I come home from work. Between the hours of 4-7 PM, it is a madhouse of people cutting people off as almost EVERYone wants to turn left.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4746444,-83.1474048,733m/data=!3m1!1e3

It's hard to describe but basically, the left lane is completely full though all those intersections all the way back to the onramp so anyone coming from the access road OR the right exit lane basically have to shove themselves into the left lane(s) if they want to turn onto Woodward or Main, both of which lead to really popular areas for dinner/evening.

I should have mentioned that nobody turns onto the left lanes on Main because they force you to take a U-turn.

I have to turn onto the right-most lane on Woodward to get home, so that means every day, there's at least 3-4 cars that either merge in front of me (i.e. they signal) or cut me off (i.e most people, who don't signal).

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
One strange thing I've noticed in Rhode Island, or at least Newport, is how people treat bicyclists. I've never had trouble with a close pass, but almost everyone will just go most of the way into opposing traffic on these narrow roads. Oncoming traffic will be accommodating and slow or stop to let them by, and I have never heard so much as a horn in protest, with the sole exception of one guy who waited a bit late to begin his overtake. If this was Florida there would have been road rage aplenty. Of course, most of these are back roads, but still.

e: People are really tolerant of New Jersey lefts too. Guess that's what happens when you have very few protected lefts.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 21, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

loving insurance fraudsters :argh:

http://i.imgur.com/CHB8Guf.mp4

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

sleepy.eyes posted:

e: People are really tolerant of New Jersey lefts too. Guess that's what happens when you have very few protected lefts.

Is that gunning it and turning left the moment the light turns green? I've heard names with other cities and states but never with New Jersey before.

Besides, a Jersey left would be a jughandle. :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
In the last 6 days, I have retrieved the following items from vehicles stopped at an intersection:

A hammer from the bumper of a 90's F150 work truck. "De nada mi amigio."
A coffee thermos from the roof of an old rear end beat to poo poo Honda CRV. "De rien mes amis."
Sewing shears from the bumper of a Champagne Dodge Caravan. "Yes, they are yours. They were on your bumper. Yes. Yours. BUMPER. JESUS."
A frappuccino from the roof of a civic leaving starbucks.
A leash from the bumper of a Ranger. No collar attached.
A big fat loving melty wad of plastic something or other (packing material maybe?) from the left rear wheel of a Rav 4. "You should probably go get that melted plastic out of your brakes"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

In the last 6 days, I have retrieved the following items from vehicles stopped at an intersection:

A hammer from the bumper of a 90's F150 work truck. "De nada mi amigio."
A coffee thermos from the roof of an old rear end beat to poo poo Honda CRV. "De rien mes amis."
Sewing shears from the bumper of a Champagne Dodge Caravan. "Yes, they are yours. They were on your bumper. Yes. Yours. BUMPER. JESUS."
A frappuccino from the roof of a civic leaving starbucks.
A leash from the bumper of a Ranger. No collar attached.
A big fat loving melty wad of plastic something or other (packing material maybe?) from the left rear wheel of a Rav 4. "You should probably go get that melted plastic out of your brakes"

Why are you standing around at an intersection randomly inspecting cars for weird stuff?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Edward IV posted:

Is that gunning it and turning left the moment the light turns green? I've heard names with other cities and states but never with New Jersey before.

Besides, a Jersey left would be a jughandle. :v:

That's what I mean. I never heard anyone talk about them outside of this thread, so I went with what I read.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Deteriorata posted:

Why are you standing around at an intersection randomly inspecting cars for weird stuff?
Helpful biker I suspect.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Why the gently caress do Russians do poo poo like this?*

*besides vodka

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Michael Scott posted:

If they were right next to me, I wouldn't risk causing another accident (like the single vehicle accident hitting the curb, which I'm then liable for), I'd just honk maybe brake a bit and if they hit then that's what happens. I wonder how fault would be assigned.

It's a good point and I mostly agree with it. As it was, I only hit the curb for about 1/4 turn of the tire, it was the last ditch thing when I'd nearly already stopped. In this particular case, I think it made more sense for me to scrape the curb with the rim a bit, but if there'd been other traffic to the left of me then absolutely I'm not moving into their lane.

I've been considering getting new rims anyways because I don't really like the stock WRX rims, so whatever. I did have it on dashcam if I needed it. I decided I wasn't going to bother since the damage was so minimal.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/FelicityMorse/status/899899078586376192

These are the livestock the Scots share a road with.

ya oval office

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
What are the odds this guy had a run in with a moto-vlogger?

http://imgur.com/gallery/vTxxC

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Holy poo poo (loud warning)

https://streamable.com/nez62

"Tow truck driver takes car with driver on it, and front tires locked."

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Of course it's an Altima.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be feeling super attached to it too if I spent 40 grand on an Altima.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 23, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

redgubbinz posted:

Of course it's an Altima.

It deserves to be put out of its misery, not tortured!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'd be feeling super attached to it to if I spent 40 grand on an Altima.

Those lease to purchase agreements are sneaky.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The camera work and commentary aren’t great, but what the gently caress.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Welcome to five posts ago.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Holy poo poo (loud warning)

"Tow truck driver takes car with driver on it, and front tires locked."

I like how he says he was repoing it. You don't damage poo poo you are repoing or break every traffic law while doing it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PT6A posted:

Welcome to five posts ago.

I blame the embed code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
71 years old, poor vision, twice the legal limit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYpt3_sDjgE