Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

MourningView posted:

Iowa's top cornerback, Manny Rugumba, is suspended for the season opener for an unspecified violation of team rules. I don't really buy into all the Josh Allen hype but iowa is really light on experience at corner after graduating a 3 and 4 year starter last year so it's definitely not ideal

Great timing against a team and quarterback that is one of the most pass happy teams in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

DJExile posted:

Oh yeah if Louisville goes unbeaten and smokes whoever stumbles out of the Coastal they're gonna have an iron-clad case.

UL won't be anywhere close to unbeaten. This whole situation reeks of aTm a few years ago with JFF post-Heisman. They don't have a line, they lack skill position players, and they crumbled down the stretch last year once people learned how to attack Jackson best.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Those games are on Fox networks.

Oh yeah. gently caress. :(

Would've been neat to see a steer fistfight a ninja turtle.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pook Good Mook posted:

Great timing against a team and quarterback that is one of the most pass happy teams in the country.

? They were 87th in passing attempts last year. I know he's talented and the hot draft name but his numbers last year are worse than you'd think based on that (and he was especially awful against Nebraska) and he lost all his best receivers and the best RB in school history. Plus their run defense was horrible so Iowa's probably just going go run the ball 60 times, try to keep him off the field, and hide whoever the gently caress starts at QB as much as possible

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Of course, having a game in Sydney means travel blogs.

Come for the football players taking over IAH, stay for philosophical discourse about Uno.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y89HPPfR2Ss&t=71s

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The assistants were also complicit in what happened at baylor and they already hired Kendall as OC so this isn't surprising. I know it's fun to laugh at Kiffin but he's a garbage person

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 22, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pakled posted:

Tomorrow morning, Georgia Tech is officially announcing an apparel deal with Adidas. Goodbye, Russell, nobody's sad to see you go.

You gonna be at the mercedes dome to watch them get gifted a game by Tennessee?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

UL won't be anywhere close to unbeaten. This whole situation reeks of aTm a few years ago with JFF post-Heisman. They don't have a line, they lack skill position players, and they crumbled down the stretch last year once people learned how to attack Jackson best.

Well yeah it's a big "if", and they're in a brutal division to have to play FSU and Clemson every year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DJExile posted:

Well yeah it's a big "if", and they're in a brutal division to have to play FSU and Clemson every year.

They could have easily beat Clemson last year.

I think they just scored again against FSU.

Neither FSU or Clemson is going to be as good this year, UNC is trash, and their out of conference schedule is a joke.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

FizFashizzle posted:

That's my point. Clemson needed a miracle to beat NC State.

They had the game of their lives against Alabama after a warm up game against a trash OSU team.

Louisville will be fine.

VT was 20 yards from tying Clemson, NCSU almost beat them, Pitt did. Seriously, go look at their post-FSU schedule. No quality win whatsoever and they struggled massively with a lot of teams they shouldn't including finishing the season by losing 3 straight and getting manhandled in two of the games.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 22, 2017

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
BTW guys, I have an idea. Deacs, bitch.

Thoughts?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

VT was 20 yards from tying Clemson, Pitt did beat them.

They had the game of their lives against Alabama after a warm up game against a trash OSU team.

Louisville will be fine.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Louisville will be fine.

And Louisville needed a miracle to beat an abysmal UVA. UL's not better this year than they were last year. They won't go 4-8 but they're not pushing Clemson and FSU to the side en route to the ACCCG either.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Some of y'all are way too comfortable with the idea of something good happening to Bobby Petrino.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

The assistants were also implicit in what happened at baylor and they already hired Kendall as OC so this isn't surprising. I know it's fun to laugh at Kiffin but he's a garbage person

complicit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Proof reading is for nerds

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
We also have Oregon State visiting Colorado State on a channel that no one actually gets:

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

Plus Hawaii going to UMass on streaming platforms, and a bunch of FCS-involving games.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I get CBS Sports Network. Now, the Hawaii-UMass game? I have no clue how anyone outside of NESN territory watches it.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

FizFashizzle posted:

Neither FSU or Clemson is going to be as good this year, UNC is trash, and their out of conference schedule is a joke.

We repeating

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gatech's year imo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Thoughts?

Man I hope they keep moving along because I like Dave but losing Mike Elko really hurt. I think their new DC was the Minnesota guy who did well there so that should help.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Thoughts?

I'm listening.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

I hadn't looked at USC's schedule yet, but man they got lucky, the managed to dodge both Oregon and Washington

I have a very hard time telling what college football teams are going to be good in the offseason but just based on schedule they look like they have a very easy path to winning the Pac-12 south.

The Arizona-centric preview show I listened to said they had a shot for maybe more, although two of the guys said they expected them to lose one of their out of conference games early and that would tank any sort of further hopes.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I get CBS Sports Network. Now, the Hawaii-UMass game? I have no clue how anyone outside of NESN territory watches it.

It's the last network without a good streaming option. This is the first season that they'll have a signed-in stream, but they only have 7 or so providers and one of those is Hulu Live. Neither of the Satellite providers.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky is "also receiving votes" in the AP Poll. That's some high expectations going into the year.

Also, South Carolina is making us a blackout game. That's every conference road game in basketball, but we're not used to that in football. They must really not want to lose to us 4 years in a row.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

kayakyakr posted:

We also have Oregon State visiting Colorado State on a channel that no one actually gets:

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

Plus Hawaii going to UMass on streaming platforms, and a bunch of FCS-involving games.

Colorado State has a brand new stadium that is super gorgeous and I think the Fightin' Mike Bobos will be in the running for the GS Bowl spot

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

V: I think it's going to be a great year for college football.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Pretty sure Vue lets you stream CBS sports

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^ Vue is just cable with a different delivery method.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Colorado State has a brand new stadium that is super gorgeous and I think the Fightin' Mike Bobos will be in the running for the GS Bowl spot

New stadium is nice. Huge upgrade over Hughes

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I wanna check out that new stadium bad. And then stay in Fort Collins indefinitely.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
This is my favorite Twitter thread right now

https://twitter.com/dmn_colleges/status/900115783765958656

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Like Dabo would leave for anybody but Alabama.

Edit: I think he would give a good listen if Florida came calling.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
For all the talk there is every year about x school going after a current coach at another P5 school, it's incredibly rare that it ever happens, especially if the coach has no prior connection to the school trying to land him. I mean what are the recent P5 to P5 moves? There are the two guys Barry Alvarez has scared away at Wisconsin, and what else? USC drew Kiffin and Sark away from their respective gigs, but they had a lot of history there. Not even the famously mercurial Todd Graham or Bobby Petrino have made a direct P5 to P5 move (Pitt was still in the Big East when Graham left for ASU).

The few outliers have been really bizarre and out of left field. Auburn hiring away Chizik after putting together a couple of really mediocre years at Iowa State. Mike Riley to Nebraska. Tubberville downgrading from Tech to Cincy. None were really a case of a blue blood just blowing somebody away a solidly entrenched coach with a giant check.

edit: Forgot about Paul Chryst, but he'd been a coordinator at Wisconsin before. Get your house in order Pitt. Guess you're going to lose Narduzzi whenever Dantonio croaks too.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 23, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Randaconda posted:

He seems like he's in a way better spot to win titles now so why? He's built a machine there in terms of recruiting and they've been super supportive when it comes to shelling out for top tier assistants, the only place I would even consider if I were him is Bama and even then I don't think I'd do it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Randaconda posted:

Like Dabo would leave for anybody but Alabama.

Dabo isn't going anywhere.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Even if Dabo goes to Bama, he wont replace Saban. He'll be the guy that replaces the guy that replaced Saban

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

He seems like he's in a way better spot to win titles now so why? He's built a machine there in terms of recruiting and they've been super supportive when it comes to shelling out for top tier assistants, the only place I would even consider if I were him is Bama and even then I don't think I'd do it.

No reason to go anywhere but the NFL if he gets bored of playing for championships at Clemson. The only other reason you'd make that move is to prove that you can build someone from nothing. But that'd take a crazy move to somewhere like an ISU or Kentucky.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ok y'all just kill me loving dead before the 2nd.

https://twitter.com/gators247_/status/900161745276329984

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

DJExile posted:

Here's BTN's president when Rutgers was added

Adding Rutgers was always 100% about the money. It was never about any potential strengthening of the conference in terms of play.

Hate to break this to you, but all conferences are cartels solely designed to extract as much money from people as possible. Delany didn't suddenly wake up one day and start being greedy, he always was and so was everyone else.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Illinois and Purdue have been to major bowls in recent memory, unlike Rutgers

Rutgers is in the east which means they will always be behind

OSU
Michigan
PSU
Sparty
Maryland (if Durkin's recruiting pans out)

Tiller was legit good, but most of that is just the Big East having horrible bowl ties. That Juice bid for Illinois was total Delany bullshit. Maryland and Sparty are far from sure things, and not every game is against the East.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

kayakyakr posted:

No reason to go anywhere but the NFL if he gets bored of playing for championships at Clemson. The only other reason you'd make that move is to prove that you can build someone from nothing. But that'd take a crazy move to somewhere like an ISU or Kentucky.

Nah, I think he's like Saban... He has no desire to try and manage grown rear end men who can tell him to gently caress off.

He has a soft spot for Bama since that's his alma mater and he played there.

• Locked thread