Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

the trump tutelage posted:

gonna go out on a limb and guess you have a different standard for the people who get swept up in police actions when they keep marching even after black bloc protesters start loving things up at G6 protests or whatever.

people were being labelled nazis for their thought crimes well before any of this poo poo kicked off in earnest (e.g. all the campus protests against people like Milo). "nazi" has been a generic slur that is used against anyone on the Right, or who is insufficiently woke, for a long goddamned time. but now punching nazis is good & encouraged, which means labelling someone a nazi is an incitement to violence against them. this is not an issue when actual nazis and white supremacists are the ones being labelled. but if you're going to argue for normalizing political violence in the limited scope of dispensing with capital-N nazis then you better be loving sure that "nazi" is more than just a weasel word, and that the person you're punching is actually a nazi.

ding ding ding this guy gets it, there wouldn't be as huge a controversy if there wasn't a rush by the left to insist that anyone who likes or even tolerates Trump or right wing politics is a nazi

there were people on Twitter literally trying to stir up a lynch mob against two random women wandering around Harvard University wearing Maga hats the other day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ugh its Troika posted:

ding ding ding this guy gets it, there wouldn't be as huge a controversy if there wasn't a rush by the left to insist that anyone who likes or even tolerates Trump or right wing politics is a nazi

everyone who likes or even tolerates Trump or right wing politics is a nazi

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I'M not a nazi i just walk around with an "I can breathe" shirt in response to a black man getting suffocated by police over selling some loosies

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Actually it turns out that the people who claimed that the nazis were nazis are bad because they understood this before it was completely obvious.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Just to make it clear for the polo-wearing white boys: it's the state that has normalized political violence, not the Left. There was a nationwide coordination between state and federal authorities to violently crackdown on Occupy, police have murdered black people with impunity while treating their protests like insurrections, and now the arms of the state are being flexed to abuse people by either deporting them, or ramping up the murder of foreigners under the cover of a war on terror. MAGA CHUDs are not innocent of political violence, they've just hid behind the skirt of the state while screaming at Daddy Trump to make the foreigners, queers, and lefties go away. Being pepper sprayed for wearing a MAGA hat is the least of what you deserve, and while we can debate the efficacy of such and when it's appropriate, I'm not going to just accept that right wingers are supposedly innocent of political violence just because it has legal sanction.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The impotent whining about political violence suddenly being bad from the MAGA brigade now they they're on the back foot is pretty hilarous, though.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ugh its Troika posted:

there were people on Twitter literally trying to stir up a lynch mob against two random women wandering around Harvard University wearing Maga hats the other day

Good thing no one actually did that though

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Taintrunner posted:

everyone who likes or even tolerates Trump or right wing politics is a nazi

lol I can't wait for you to blow your stack when trump gets re-elected

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cerebral Bore posted:

The impotent whining about political violence suddenly being bad from the MAGA brigade now they they're on the back foot is pretty hilarous, though.

who is on the back foot here? statues going away isn't going to make Trump not president. nor is it going to stop the police from killing people and being unaccountable. and more importantly it isn't going to anything about wealth inequality caused by a capitalist system.

it's a distraction, and the result is poor people killing each other. good job liberal, sating your blood lust has solved nothing.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the guys marching in cville weren't poor lmao

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

who is on the back foot here? statues going away isn't going to make Trump not president. nor is it going to stop the police from killing people and being unaccountable. and more importantly it isn't going to anything about wealth inequality caused by a capitalist system.

it's a distraction, and the result is poor people killing each other. good job liberal, sating your blood lust has solved nothing.

this same type of lazy concern trolling was hurled at black lives matter, occupy, DAPL protesters, etc etc.

why do you love to lick the boots of our broken institutions so much?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

this kind of concern trolling is little more than a deflection from the realized fear that middle class white men might actually have to risk pain for their reactionary politics

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Do you honestly believe that only a reactionary might be concerned about 'punch a """nazi"""' rhetoric or is this one of those "you're coterminous with my ideology or you're against us" kinda things?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the guys marching in cville weren't poor lmao

the revolution will not be means tested.

Scent of Worf posted:

this same type of lazy concern trolling was hurled at black lives matter, occupy, DAPL protesters, etc etc.

why do you love to lick the boots of our broken institutions so much?

I'd like to replace the boots of our broken institutions and fix them so they work, not participate in iconoclasty and assume things are going to get better.

also lol at comparing DAPL protests (which is still happening) to knocking over some statues.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Do you honestly believe that only a reactionary might be concerned about 'punch a """nazi"""' rhetoric or is this one of those "you're coterminous with my ideology or you're against us" kinda things?

pretending to ignorance isn't doing you any favors

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I'd like to replace the boots of our broken institutions and fix them so they work

and you're doing that by defending fascists and attacking the left over any kind of protest that isn't up to your standards? :smugdon:

at least have some pride in your bootlicking and own it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

i think that if you look at the current situation and that is the worry you come away with, it says a hell of a lot about you; none of it good

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

who is on the back foot here?

The fash, who are running so scared right now that it's kinda pathetic actually.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Cerebral Bore posted:

The fash, who are running so scared right now that it's kinda pathetic actually.

this is cannon now

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'd like to replace the boots of our broken institutions and fix them so they work, not participate in iconoclasty and assume things are going to get better.

also lol at comparing DAPL protests (which is still happening) to knocking over some statues.

There's no reason you can't engage in iconoclasm and do institutional reform at the same time. Taking down monuments to white supremacy and the slaveocracy is a public good.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

There's no way violence can be used against me or the people I support. We're the good guys! *unable to comprehend that Donald J Trump is president and the Republicans hold power in a majority of states* Yup, no way this can backfire.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Personally, j'accuse.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's no way violence can be used against me or the people I support. We're the good guys! *unable to comprehend that Donald J Trump is president and the Republicans hold power in a majority of states* Yup, no way this can backfire.

Oh my god are you seriously pulling the goddamn "well what if the state starts violating the rights of lefties huh???" because fuckin lol

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Call Me Charlie posted:

The state would never deploy violence and repression against leftists without being forced into it! Incidentally I've been huffing paint and don't remember anything that happened before today

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games

ugh its Troika posted:

it was Howard University btw. no one was actually going to do anything to them and you know just as well as those two white girls that they went to Howard wearing MAGA hats to start poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Call Me Charlie posted:

Personal cowardice is not a good reason to appease Nazis, hth.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cerebral Bore posted:

Oh my god are you seriously pulling the goddamn "well what if the state starts violating the rights of lefties huh???" because fuckin lol

We've already drifted from 'punch literal nazis advocating genocide' to 'punch people in the same alt-right grifting circles or anybody wearing a MAGA hat or anybody wearing a parody MAGA hat' in this thread.

If you legitimatize violence as a means to suppress free speech you disagree with, don't be surprised when it comes back to bite you in the rear end. People using the same train of thought could justify, in their mind, attacking people that turn up to a women's right march for supporting 'baby genocide'. And those idiots may escalate the violence beyond a simple punch. Which I guess doesn't matter if you live in a blue state but not all of us are that lucky.

Glenn Greenwald posted:

Beyond that, the contradiction embedded in this anti-free speech advocacy is so glaring. For many of those attacking the ACLU here, it is a staple of their worldview that the U.S. is a racist and fascist country and that those who control the government are right-wing authoritarians. There is substantial validity to that view.

Why, then, would people who believe that simultaneously want to vest in these same fascism-supporting authorities the power to ban and outlaw ideas they dislike? Why would you possibly think that the List of Prohibited Ideas will end up including the views you hate rather than the views you support? Most levers of state power are now controlled by the Republican Party, while many Democrats have also advocated the criminalization of left-wing views. Why would you trust those officials to suppress free speech in ways that you find just and noble, rather than oppressive?

and have a preemptive response

same article posted:

Leave aside the fact that the ACLU does expend vast resources to defend the rights of immigrants, minorities against abusive policing and a racist justice system, and Muslims. Beyond all that, the reason it’s vital to expend resources to defend free speech rights of awful people, even white nationalists, is because that’s where free speech battles are always and by definition fought.

It’s always those whose views are deemed most odious by the mainstream that are the initial targets of censorship efforts; it’s very rare that the state tries to censor the views held by the mainstream. If you allow those initial censorship efforts to succeed because of your distaste for those being targeted, then you lose the ability to defend the rights of those you like because the censorship principle has been enshrined.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Byolante posted:

Or stabbed with a broken bottle or given a skull fracture with a bike lock

Inshallah

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yes I'm sure that this time when the bourgeoise state starts preparing to repress the left as usual some bureaucrat will notice all the good behaviour points we've accumulated by being good and quiet and they'll just be all aw shucks and call the whole thing off.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yes I'm sure that this time when the bourgeoise state starts preparing to repress the left as usual some bureaucrat will notice all the good behaviour points we've accumulated by being good and quiet and they'll just be all aw shucks and call the whole thing off.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Let me try one more time to get through to you.

This isn't about defending nazis in the hopes that nazis will help us one day like you stupidly think. It's about defending the absolute rights given to everybody by the constitution. Once you say those rights aren't absolute, especially in the legal system, you're opening the door for the same tactics used to suppress idiot nazis to be used against you and groups you support.

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games
gee, i wonder what it would be like if the right carried out political violence or terrorist attacks against abortion supporters

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
But the government already suppresses the Left and I have no goddamned perspective whatsoever, so gently caress it maybe accelerationism isn't bougie whiteboy bullshit after all.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lol you dumdum this literally already happens against groups on the left. Have you been living under a rock since before the First Red Scare or what?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like, not only are you covering for loving nazis, you managed to pick the dumbest possible argument to justify it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
imo there should be a new thread entitled 'some people think you shouldnt punch nazis' and this thread should go back to mocking dumb hot takes on both sides!!

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

imo there should be a new thread entitled 'some people think you shouldnt punch nazis' and this thread should go back to mocking dumb hot takes on both sides!!

hmm yeah it should definitely go back to mocking "both sides" while defending fascists and making poo poo up about two white girls almost getting lynched by rabid (((leftists))) :thunk:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

We're in the process of mocking hot takes, just read all of Call Me Charlie's posts for some real spicy poo poo

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Clawtopsy posted:

many sides, many sides

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i liked reading funny articles where people were acting crazy

i liked the person with the dog avatar's posts too, when someone posted something that wasn't particularly crazy but wanted to pretend like it was :sigh:

Crane Fist posted:

We're in the process of mocking hot takes, just read all of Call Me Charlie's posts for some real spicy poo poo

those are some very spicy takes though, too spicy for me, hence the need for a covert thread for nazi apologists so good posters can have a dedicated e-octagon for e-punching them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Call Me Charlie posted:

We've already drifted from 'punch literal nazis advocating genocide' to 'punch people in the same alt-right grifting circles or anybody wearing a MAGA hat or anybody wearing a parody MAGA hat' in this thread.

Suitable candidates for a knuckle sandwich kept expanding as more and more people thought it was a good idea to apologize for the Nazis.

Call Me Charlie posted:

If you legitimatize violence as a means to suppress free speech you disagree with, don't be surprised when it comes back to bite you in the rear end.

Lot of projection going on here. Keep in mind that what really frightened the white nationalists after Cville was that the cops were repressing them and they were losing their jobs. This is a new experience for them.

• Locked thread