Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
So I bought a ton of Napoleonics to do a Sharp Practice battle in February. I like the Warlord plastics for simplicity but man the Perry ones are good. I'm bummed because I bought a bunch of peaked cap Hanoverians but from what I can tell they weren't in the Peninsular campaign, which is what I want to do. I guess I can do waterloo later tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phi230 posted:

It's actually like one smooth motion. No hand crank as I understand it, it's like a lever that also moves on a horizontal axis.
There's a fair amount of cranking in the video I posted. It's not th eonly hatch on the tank though, so you can just open a rear turret door and bail.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Phi230 posted:

It's actually like one smooth motion. No hand crank as I understand it, it's like a lever that also moves on a horizontal axis.

Swinging the hatch to the side once opened was one smooth motion, raising the hatch to a open position required cranking a lever - Which meant that Panther commanders never, ever had the hatch closed. A guy called the Chieftain, a World of Tanks PR person, has a video on youtube where he pokes around a Panther and demonstrates how this works.

moths posted:

Haha, it's just a line that says you can use a base to represent a squad in smaller games.

At least I've got lists for my Team Yankee stuff now.

We do 1 base = 1 squad and 1:1 on vehicles/guns. It works fine. The only thing that kind of gets on some people's nerves is that a single tank regenerates hits between turns, but BKC operates at such a high level of abstraction that it's fine.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So...Operation Downfall is presumably going to be Bolt Action's next big ahistorical campaign, right? That or Australia. They're releasing a lot of new Pacific Theatre stuff right now.

Downfall lets them sell Chi-Nus, for one thing, and they've already established precedent with the Maus for ahistorical/rare tanks.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Yvonmukluk posted:

So...Operation Downfall is presumably going to be Bolt Action's next big ahistorical campaign, right? That or Australia. They're releasing a lot of new Pacific Theatre stuff right now.

Downfall lets them sell Chi-Nus, for one thing, and they've already established precedent with the Maus for ahistorical/rare tanks.

The Konflikt 47 Japanese stuff is also this autumn, so I would hope they would have it all link up, but then they did bring Bolt Action 2nd edition forward significantly and I don't know what that did to their release schedule.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm a bit sad we don't have a BA scene since I'd love to play some Sealion as literally any side, but what can one do...

For vague future reference, which WG plastic kits are as assholish as the Brits to assemble?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JcDent posted:

I'm a bit sad we don't have a BA scene since I'd love to play some Sealion as literally any side, but what can one do...

For vague future reference, which WG plastic kits are as assholish as the Brits to assemble?

Well, the new US & British Airborne have a lot more one-piece 'arms and weapons combo' on the sprue, so they're much easier to work with.

US marines also have some one-piece weapons arms, but also have the 'fiddle with individual weapons and two separate arms' struggle to grapple with.

I'm considering seeing if the US & British airborne arms are relatively interchangeable. Because if they are, then I can make some SAS on the cheap...

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Based and flagged 3 bases of Hanoverians tonight. I've been on a painting spree for the last couple of weeks, coinciding with led finishing my MA, but I stopped cold when I had to do bases. It took some serious effort, and a computer meltdown, before I could finish the rest of the battalion. So the last seven bases, plus two bases of skirmishers, are drying right now.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

BRITISH PARAS YOU SAAAY

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JcDent posted:

BRITISH PARAS YOU SAAAY
I fear I may have created a monster.

:ohdear:

But yeah, they make plastic paras now. They're pretty swell, going from the one sprue I've worked with. I'm thinking of grabbing a box of them myself, since I can get some good use out of them. Some to be paratroopers (since I can have a section of paras in my RM Commando platoon), some as actual Commandos (since they actually did wear windproof smocks like the paras), and if I have any left over, I'll make a section of SAS for good measure. Or Poles.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Firsr FoW game went super well, really satisfied with how it turned out.

I had a HG panzerkompanie. 4 pz ivh, 4 pz iiij, 2 pziiin, tiger, falschirmjaeger platoon, 10.5cm battery

I fought US airborne. 3 rifle platoons, weapons platoon with lmgs and mortars, 2 jacksons, 4 shermans (1 76), and 3 priests.

We played encounter. I deployed one tank platoon and my infantry and guns, he deployed his infantry and priests.

The first few turns my tanks moved up into some woods near the center and parked there. My infantry guarded one if my objectives and my guns. He deployed a platoon on each flank and one in the middle.

So those tanks kept putting shots into dug in infantry, killing a few now and then. They were on the center left, I'm a position to protect my left objective. Not much happened the first turns, our artillery pinned some stuff but had limited impact.

I got my second tank platoon turn 3 on my right flank, which rolled up and the pziv took a shot that managed to kill a priest. His center platoon started moving up to attack my tanks in the trees, but they took terrible casualties from MGs and my arty once they were no longer dug in. Once the bazooka was dead he pulled them back to some buildings but I was able to get them down to 2 teams and they failed their first last stand.

Turn 4 he got his Sherman platoon on my left threatening mg left objective, but I followed that up the next turn by bringing my tiger out over there causing him to abandon that flank and move to the right.

I got the remaining 2 pzivs out by turn 8, and he did the same with his jacksons and lmgs. My infantry and tanks on the right advanced on his right platoon, but the appearance of the lmgs there as well as the scout cars made me dig my infantry in.

Tiger killed a Jackson pretty quickly, while my pz platoon ob the left continued blitzing and scoot and shooting through the woods fighting Shermans and the remaining jackson. They tie them up for a while but eventually get knocked out.

On the right, I pin his airborne platoon and assault with my tanks. His bazooka and gammon bombs fail to do anything and I kill 6, they fell back off the objective. He had enough stuff left that he kept feeding infantry into there to contest while his tanks cross the map to engage. My infantry were continually pinned by his lmgs, leaving my guns undefended. He ran his jeeps and scout cars around to kill half my guns and take my objective while my tanks killed the last of his and cleared the objective, getting him the win a turn before I could.

In the end, I lost 2 pziv, 3 pziii, 4 infantry teams, and 2 guns. He lost 4 shermans, 2 TDs, 2 airborne platoons plus some models from the third, most of the weapon platoon, and 2 priests.

People here seem to play at 1650, going to add some flakpanzers and motorcycles

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 19, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I made a ghetto light box

Don't mind the single strand of cat hair

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fish and Chimps posted:

Based and flagged 3 bases of Hanoverians tonight. I've been on a painting spree for the last couple of weeks, coinciding with led finishing my MA, but I stopped cold when I had to do bases. It took some serious effort, and a computer meltdown, before I could finish the rest of the battalion. So the last seven bases, plus two bases of skirmishers, are drying right now.

Looking great! I also tend to wait with basing until I can do a whole sweep. I just finished two units of skirmishing voltigeurs for my light infantry, but I'll wait with the basing to see if gluing them on metal washers are better. After all, having heavier bases might keep them from falling over as easily.

I'm also gluing together my hussars, and god drat it they are endless. I'm going to be painting those suckers for years.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Looking great! I also tend to wait with basing until I can do a whole sweep. I just finished two units of skirmishing voltigeurs for my light infantry, but I'll wait with the basing to see if gluing them on metal washers are better. After all, having heavier bases might keep them from falling over as easily.

I'm also gluing together my hussars, and god drat it they are endless. I'm going to be painting those suckers for years.

No wonder they're falling over! Those pom-poms are huge. And magnificent!

And yeah, painting the same poo poo for years is basically :napoleonics:

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011
I'm starting out into some Bolt Action and while building the first few minis the question of base sizes came up as it looks like one of my 2 platic infantry packs is missing the 25x50mm bases.
Is it mandatory to put the prone guys on the 25x50mm bases and things like mmg teams on those larger 50mm? round bases or would it be ok to put the models on the regular 25mm round ones and just place them next to each other ingame?

If I wanted to build a mmg team or a light/medium mortar team out of the regular multi part plastic dudes, is that okay or is it frowned upon?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doctors Inc posted:

I'm starting out into some Bolt Action and while building the first few minis the question of base sizes came up as it looks like one of my 2 platic infantry packs is missing the 25x50mm bases.
Is it mandatory to put the prone guys on the 25x50mm bases and things like mmg teams on those larger 50mm? round bases or would it be ok to put the models on the regular 25mm round ones and just place them next to each other ingame?

If I wanted to build a mmg team or a light/medium mortar team out of the regular multi part plastic dudes, is that okay or is it frowned upon?

That all sounds OK by my understanding of it.

What are going for, if you don't mind my inquiry?

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011
I started with the japanese.
So far I used one set of regular japanese infantry and one set of SNLF to build the following:

1 officer with bodyguard
2 platoons of 8 snlf vets with 2smgs and a lmg each
1 engineer platoon of 14 with 3 knee mortars
1 sniper
1 anti tank rifle team
3 anti tank mine suicide teams

I did a ~750 point test game last thursday against some marines and they did pretty good.
Probably looking for an armord car and maybe a truck or two and some more infantry in the near future

Currently building a flamethrower team with some green stuff and wire, let's see how that turns out...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Squads, not platoons, I'd wager.

I did my Italian Brixia on one round and my British 2in on two small round bases. Idgaf.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fish and Chimps posted:

No wonder they're falling over! Those pom-poms are huge. And magnificent!

And yeah, painting the same poo poo for years is basically :napoleonics:

Go plume or go home.

And I don't understand what you're getting at, my very modest French plan to have one unit of each type of infantry (not even Guards!) and one decent sized unit of each type of common cavalry type (not even Guards!) only amounts to a mere 400 minis. But then there's the allies...

...oh and I'm kidding myself if I think I can keep away from the Guards.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

a mere 400 minis. But then there's the allies...

...oh and I'm kidding myself if I think I can keep away from the Guards.

Napoleonics are great aren't they? :shepicide:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Doctors Inc posted:

I started with the japanese.
So far I used one set of regular japanese infantry and one set of SNLF to build the following:

1 officer with bodyguard
2 platoons of 8 snlf vets with 2smgs and a lmg each
1 engineer platoon of 14 with 3 knee mortars
1 sniper
1 anti tank rifle team
3 anti tank mine suicide teams

I did a ~750 point test game last thursday against some marines and they did pretty good.
Probably looking for an armord car and maybe a truck or two and some more infantry in the near future

Currently building a flamethrower team with some green stuff and wire, let's see how that turns out...

Locally a lot of Europe loving but not a lot of Pacific so it's cool to see the Empire getting repped. If more people played glorious Nippon around here I'd probably do up some cool Gurkhas and poo poo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fish and Chimps posted:

Napoleonics are great aren't they? :shepicide:

On the other hand, couldn't you do a full-sized regiment in 6mm for less than a hundo, splat some paint on them and base them, and be all good?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Drone posted:

On the other hand, couldn't you do a full-sized regiment in 6mm for less than a hundo, splat some paint on them and base them, and be all good?

Of course.

My pile of unpainted 6mm nappy is staring at me as well. :P

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

lilljonas posted:

Of course.

My pile of unpainted 6mm nappy is staring at me as well. :P

In my weird sorta nascent fascination with historicals, I was reading through the Osprey book detailing my local area's contribution to the Napoleonic Wars (I live in what was then a small duchy in Germany, part of the Confederation of the Rhine). I could do the entire army of this little country in 6mm extremely easily and relatively cheaply and field the entire thing on a (big) table, considering it only numbered around 4500 men :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Drone posted:

In my weird sorta nascent fascination with historicals, I was reading through the Osprey book detailing my local area's contribution to the Napoleonic Wars (I live in what was then a small duchy in Germany, part of the Confederation of the Rhine). I could do the entire army of this little country in 6mm extremely easily and relatively cheaply and field the entire thing on a (big) table, considering it only numbered around 4500 men :v:
Well... go on then.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Well... go on then.

You could do the same with the Swedish invasion of Norway. The battles saw some 2-3000 men per side, you could do real Napoleonic oobs with 1:1 representation of men! You'd be stuck with two mediocre (at best) armies waffling around fjords and though.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

You could do the same with the Swedish invasion of Norway. The battles saw some 2-3000 men per side, you could do real Napoleonic oobs with 1:1 representation of men! You'd be stuck with two mediocre (at best) armies waffling around fjords and though.

I would join that project in a heartbeat :swoon:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Phi230 posted:

That's a nice looking LAV and a good photo. Gratz on the light box.

Post the catte

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fish and Chimps posted:

I would join that project in a heartbeat :swoon:

With those silly top hats and everything? :P Norwegian Napoleonic uniforms just look so quaint when coming from painting up Frenchmen. These Swedish guardsmen look pretty dapper though:

It's like a blind tailor took a bavarian and stitched British straps on his uniform and then stuck a big plume on his head. What's not to like?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Whats your recipe for the very nice looking weathering on this BMP?

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Locally a lot of Europe loving but not a lot of Pacific so it's cool to see the Empire getting repped. If more people played glorious Nippon around here I'd probably do up some cool Gurkhas and poo poo.

Same problem over here, as most of the players are playing european theater armies. I wanted to play on the axis side becaus we generally have more allies but didnt want to be the 100th german army. And while some of the lesser factions looked nice, I choose japan for the plastic multi-part kits. I don't like metal too much as it's harder to scratchbuild with them and I like modding my troops a bit.

I am still somewhat undecided on what squad size to use. 8 man vet squads and 10+ regular squads worked fine so far but as my grenadiers could go from 5 to 18 men... Any tips?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BeigeJacket posted:

Whats your recipe for the very nice looking weathering on this BMP?

Basecoat Castellan Green (or Vallejo Camo Olive Green)
Paint gun barrel black
Dark Brown Wash like Agrax Earthshade
Mix 75/25 Castellan Green + Zandri Dust (Vallejo Cam. Olive Green + Zandri Dust or Iraqi Sand)
Combination of aggressive drybrushing and layering on areas I would think exposed to the sun. You want to focus more on aggressive drybrushing on the flat areas so that you can still see a bit of the darker basecoat through.
Pinwash with a black wash, like Nuln Oil.
Drybrush Runefang Steel (or Vallejo Gunmetal Grey) on edges where there'd be exposed metal or metal-on-metal contact
Drybrush Zandri Dust (or Iraqi Sand) on places where there'd be dirt and dust buildup, like the side skirts and wheels.

Additionally I used Vallejo's Engine Grime effect to clog up the exhaust grates; and Vallejo's Oil Stains around the gas cap behind the turret. That's it.

mllaneza posted:

That's a nice looking LAV and a good photo. Gratz on the light box.

Post the catte

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Doctors Inc posted:

I am still somewhat undecided on what squad size to use. 8 man vet squads and 10+ regular squads worked fine so far but as my grenadiers could go from 5 to 18 men... Any tips?

Got dang 18-man squads? I'd be leery of going full strength on a regular squad like that just because it feels pretty brittle--like something that might just disappear if it sees a flamethrower, but if they are cheap maybe 10 or 11?

Still getting them table-ready but I'm going for my Easy Company I'm actually going with "reinforced up to full TO&E strength platoon" with 3 full 12-man squads. My thinking is that the "full strength" order-reroll and prevent loss of momentum with a bad roll in those early game situations where your vets haven't taken a casualty yet but have a pin marker or two and you're still getting them into position-- or from that daggone Tiger Fear rule. It's pretty expensive though with ~600 points tied up in squads. Fortunately plenty of folks will oblige a 1250 game so I can still fit in some decent support and a Sherman. We'll see how it works in practice.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 22, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

:3:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That's a pretty cute catte, if I can say so myself.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I'm getting close to being done with this one and wanna know how it's coming along because it's the most time consuming model ive ever done

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Hey goons, I bought some Spanish napoleonic guys because gently caress, they look cool, and Paul Hicks is an amazing sculptor. But I can't find good color plates to figure out how to paint them. Can you help?

http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/Spanish-Infantry-Marching-1-of-5-possible-poses_p_4078.html

^^ These dudes

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Phi230 posted:

I'm getting close to being done with this one and wanna know how it's coming along because it's the most time consuming model ive ever done

What exactly is THAT doing here?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Might wanna post it here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

But it's for Team Yankee