Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
TB is often right, just too trigger-happy to go on a rampage arguing with someone.

Content:

TIFU by getting scammed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6v4ld5/tifu_by_getting_scammed/ posted:

Let me say first I know how stupid I was and that its my own fault so pls don't be harsh on me. So here is what happend I am a student in a College and I go work 5 days a week after the school to afford apartment and food and poo poo. So it's very unusual for me to have some spare money. I can spend maybe 20 bucks a month for entertainment.

But last week my landlord approached me and asked if I could help out the janitor with some housework and he would pay me for it. Broke like I am I agreed and got myself 50 bucks this weekend and I know you guys probably would've told me to save that money but you know I wanted to do myself something good.

So i searched through some Facebook market groups and found myself a guy who was selling a PS3 with 3 games and controllers. I contacted him and we made everything up. He asked me if I could send him the money as amazon gift card. Probably the first big alarm clock. But dumb and happy about finally getting myself a PS3 I agreed bought the card online. After some more writing about us both being concerned about getting scammed I for some reason decided ill trust this guy ( I know I'm a stupid idiot who deserves it) and send him the code. 5 minutes later he blocked me.

Now to my question. Is there anything I can do ? Go to the police or contact Amazon or poo poo ? I'm very sad and embarrassed by my dumbness but idk :/ 6 hours of hard work for nothing... any advice ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Probably the best $50 they ever spent, if they can learn from it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zo posted:

:allears:

since you're such a fan of the ignore button please start using it

I'm just trying to clarify the thread rules with our new mod here

Nah you're being a dumbass

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mourne posted:

gently caress me. I'm the rear end in a top hat quoting TB as soon as she's off probation. But drat it, she's right in this instance.

edit: Also use cash for tipping waitstaff. Even if you pay for food/alcohol with a card, leave the tip in cash. Often times bartenders/servers can get away with pocketing that and it going under the table.

Yes! That's the kindest thing you can do. And writing CASH on the tip line always makes me feel a little baller :cool:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Moneyball posted:

Probably the best $50 they ever spent, if they can learn from it.

Yeah it's fairly cheap as far as a lesson in human behaviour, and it should have real impact since he worked hard for it.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yes! That's the kindest thing you can do. And writing CASH on the tip line always makes me feel a little baller :cool:

Having worked in service throughout high school and college, I do this to let the server know that there's something on the table for them, because sometimes bussers, other servers or guests will pocket that poo poo.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
http://www.askamanager.org/2017/08/i-ghosted-my-ex-and-shes-about-to-be-my-new-boss.html

BWL: ghosting your girlfriend, who you've been with for three years and lived with for two years, with no notification while she is out of town. In the process, moving to another country without telling her or explaining anything.

BWM: when you're an expat later, she becomes your boss, and you don't think you can find another job in the country.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

opposable thumbs.db posted:

http://www.askamanager.org/2017/08/i-ghosted-my-ex-and-shes-about-to-be-my-new-boss.html

BWL: ghosting your girlfriend, who you've been with for three years and lived with for two years, with no notification while she is out of town. In the process, moving to another country without telling her or explaining anything.

BWM: when you're an expat later, she becomes your boss, and you don't think you can find another job in the country.

hahahahahaha tfw life comes at you...very slow, but extremely hard

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Sad for him, but his ex is going to have a fantastically satisfying afternoon when she eliminates his position.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
To be fair on the guy:

quote:

Sylvia was rather emotional and became obsessed with the relationship, tracking me down, even causing various scenes with my parents and friends.
If you trust what he is saying, she's bonkers and may have tracked him down just to fire him. hahaha

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

To be fair to her, her live-in boyfriend of 3 years disappeared while she was out of town so maybe freaking out and trying to find him is reasonable

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Yeah, ghosting so hard you move countries after 3 years together is gonna have consequences since your SO will assume you've been murdered/kidnapped/sold into slavery.

Basically the worst thing to do if you want to "avoid being untangled in a break-up drama".

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Papa John Misty posted:

To be fair to her, her live-in boyfriend of 3 years disappeared while she was out of town so maybe freaking out and trying to find him is reasonable

Not an empty quote.

Suspicious Lump, if that's what you took away from the story then I think you've got some issues that need examining.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 23, 2017

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I feel like NOT making a best efforts attempt to figure out wtf happened would be bad with police/murder charges.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Suspicious Lump posted:

To be fair on the guy:
If you trust what he is saying, she's bonkers and may have tracked him down just to fire him. hahaha

A) What kind of beep-boop :spergin: poo poo is this?
B) Yeah I totally trust the guy who ghosted his SO of three years (and domestic partner of two years) and ran away to a foreign country.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

r/Buttcoin is like a fractal of stupid where the deeper you go the more layers of stupid you uncover:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6vbfip/that_was_an_expensive_coffee_i_just_bought_to/?st=J6OA1BKY&sh=67f57760

Buttcoiner pays $3.46 worth of buttcoins in fees in order to buy a cup of coffee for $1 worth of buttcoin. I'm imagining he tipped his fedora daintily to the barista after explaining why it took 5 minutes to pay for his stupid coffee.

He's also too stupid to obscure his entire buttcoin address thingy so if he has a worthwhile amount of $buttc it's probably already gone to easy hacking.

And according to the comments the 346% transaction fee is also massively subsidized by Buttcoinbase and they lost money on this transaction :lol:

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Suspicious Lump posted:

To be fair on the guy:

According to him they lived together for two years (dated for 3), he didn't tell her he even had a job opportunity in another country. I think calling her bonkers because she tried to find out what happened to her missing boyfriend is a bit much.

"Huh, my live in boyfriend of two years just disappeared one day with no warning. Don't want to be a bitch and find out if he's dead or not so I won't ask any of his friends/family what happened to him ."
-A normal girlfriend, apparently

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Noctone posted:

A) What kind of beep-boop :spergin: poo poo is this?
B) Yeah I totally trust the guy who ghosted his SO of three years (and domestic partner of two years) and ran away to a foreign country.
Yes, that's why I said IF.

GamingHyena posted:

According to him they lived together for two years (dated for 3), he didn't tell her he even had a job opportunity in another country. I think calling her bonkers because she tried to find out what happened to her missing boyfriend is a bit much.

"Huh, my live in boyfriend of two years just disappeared one day with no warning. Don't want to be a bitch and find out if he's dead or not so I won't ask any of his friends/family what happened to him ."
-A normal girlfriend, apparently

Papa John Misty posted:

Traveling to another country to work at the same institute as your ex is bonkers. Her trying to get closure from contacting his friends and family isn't bonkers.

Of course this could all be coincidence, he could be exaggerating her reaction/contact attempts.

FYI because I think you've misunderstood what I'm saying: I'm laughing at him and how the world conspired to pay him back for being an rear end in a top hat but also suggesting that maybe she tracked him down and took the job just to get back at him. Who knows?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yeah that's much more likely than "they're both expat teacher types and their paths crossed again in their relatively small field" :rolleyes:

They were living together in a third country and all that

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yes, that's why I said IF.

Traveling to another country to work at the same institute as your ex is bonkers. Her trying to get closure from contacting his friends and family isn't bonkers.

Of course this could all be coincidence, he could be exaggerating her reaction/contact attempts.

FYI because I think you've misunderstood what I'm saying: I'm laughing at him and how the world conspired to pay him back for being an rear end in a top hat but also suggesting that maybe she tracked him down and took the job just to get back at him. Who knows?

lol come off it, you're being ridiculous. This is real life, not a low-rent novel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Noctone posted:

lol come off it, you're being ridiculous. This is real life, not a low-rent novel.

Is there a significant difference?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is there a significant difference?

Novels tend to have more believable plot twists than real life.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ate all the Oreos posted:

Lol my dad fell for that same scam except it was fill dirt instead and he wound up paying $3000. He also fell for the suspicious door to door meat salesman and bought a water softener in a similar manner.

My dad's kinda gullible.

I bought some door to door meat once but in my defense I was drunk at the time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6vheaj/dc_usa_i_signed_a_lease_for_12_mo_and_paid_1st_mo
(DC, USA) I signed a lease for 12 mo. and paid 1st mo. rent and security deposit. Got an email saying the landlord wants to amend the lease and I need to pay more. (self.legaladvice)
submitted 11 hours ago * by sukriti1995

quote:

Hi all!
I am moving to DC on the 1st for a wonderful job. This was admittedly on short notice and I found an apartment, signed a lease for 12 months, and paid first month's rent and a security deposit (900 and 800 respectively). There was a clause saying that since I had not seen the place, I would be allowed to leave with refund if needed so I felt okay going into it.
A couple days later, the landlord says that his family lawyer could not endorse the lease (?? I didn't know that was a thing) because of two reasons, first that I need to pay 1st and last month's rent and also that the security deposit should be 1400 due to 'a catastrophe in the area.' He also said that I'd face problems with the landlord committee if the lease wasn't endorsed.
I'm so confused and very anxious now. First, I already signed the lease and paid! It can't just be amended like that! He should mail me the keys at this point so I can move in, correct? Second, DC law doesn't allow security deposits greater than one month's rent so I'm very confused there too. Lastly, I didn't know leases had to be endorsed.
What are my rights here? What can I say/do? I have the guy's number and we did a bank routing so we have that info in case this is a scam.
Appreciate any help, thanks. And if it matters either way, I have easy access to a consultation with a lawyer if need be, it'll just take a couple days. Since I move in 8 days I'd like to do what I can asap, even if that means finding a new place and getting a refund.
Edit: So I'm well aware that this is likely a scam at this point. If it's not, I understand there's no obligation to change the lease. If it is, can someone provide constructive advice on how to track down the account owner? I have the bank address, name of account holder, and routing and account numbers as well as his number. Is it worth pursuing legal action?

If anyone ever asks you to pay via wire transfer or gift cards, it is a scam.
And $900/mo in DC probably doesn't even get you a parking spot to pitch a tent in.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Buttcoiners are the gift that keeps on giving.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6vgand/uk_a_technician_from_microsoft_live_support/ posted:

[UK] A technician from Microsoft live support accessed my crypto currency funds and took all my savings/money 30,000 USD. Are these steps correct? (self.legaladvice)

How do I exactly go about filing a law suit, in particular against this legitimate internet company as one of their technicians accessed some files containing vital information for my funds and transferred it to an encrypted account. They are a Microsoft affiliate.

I have some vital information like a receipt of their service and a transaction which coincides to when the funds were gone at the same time. The funds were stored locally and are extremely hard to access as attested by my crypto currency support to which they affirmed that it was the technician who misappropriated all of this mess (I also have saved the conversation with my provider). The technician was searching my folders for a corruption in my Microsoft office and stumbled upon all my codes along the way and copied them. I have tried reaching them via chat but they are extremely hesitant denying that I ever was a customer in the first place despite having clear proof that I was. I will try and call their UK landline and reach a settlement.

My plan is to get a cyber lawyer and talk them through this. Now should I get one in the UK or India? Under which court will I have to go to do go about this claim. Thank you all so much, you have no idea.

quote:

lmao that's not an affiliate, it's not even the real Microsoft logo and the entire page is written in broken English.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

canyoneer posted:

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6vheaj/dc_usa_i_signed_a_lease_for_12_mo_and_paid_1st_mo
(DC, USA) I signed a lease for 12 mo. and paid 1st mo. rent and security deposit. Got an email saying the landlord wants to amend the lease and I need to pay more. (self.legaladvice)
submitted 11 hours ago * by sukriti1995

If anyone ever asks you to pay via wire transfer or gift cards, it is a scam.
And $900/mo in DC probably doesn't even get you a parking spot to pitch a tent in.

This is brutal. Kid's hosed and probably has no way of starting that new job if he has nowhere to live. I see scams almost every week and it's always college kids or people down on their luck. Sucks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Known Lecher posted:

totally not a fake story posted:

My plan is to get a cyber lawyer

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Known Lecher posted:

lmao

this reminds me of the thing where Nigerian scammers purposely make their emails sound like obvious scams so only retards respond

cuz that website is so, so obviously fake

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

yes bitcoiners have never had their coins stolen in every imaginable way possible, im sure glad you're here to tell us this story must be fake

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You're welcome.

I still think it's worth it for "cyber lawyer"

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Some people are dumb

quote:

I’m 20 years old and I got a new job 4 months ago where my take home each week on 40 hours is roughly $492. I also am able to work overtime if I want and so I usually try to get 16 hours over each week which puts my take home at around $750. The problem is I wanted a new truck in the beginning but my mom talked me into getting a new car instead because it’s a lot cheaper and it’s better on gas for driving to work. On top of that I recently took over the payments for her house because she moved to a different town for family reasons. I’ll just list my current monthly bills

House payment or rent: $560 Car payment: $382 I pay $400 though for 72 months Internet: $30 Phone: $83 Car insurance: $297 that’s monthly by the way Credit card: $1100 which I have 0% interest for 1 year from a balance transfer deal

I also noticed theres one week out of the month that I don’t have to use my paycheck on any bills and so I’m going to be putting that to my credit card.

I owe $21,000 on the car which I just got 2 months ago and my credit score is 680 currently which it was a little higher before the car loan went through but I’ve read it’ll go back up in a few months or something idk.

The truck I want is a 2017 Chevy Silverado lt z71 there’s one nearby with a sticker price of $44,000

The car I’m financing currently is a 2017 Chevy Cruze LT

I don’t have any extra money saved up and I know with all my bills and especially the house payment there’s no way I could get a new truck but in October my brother and his girlfriend are moving in with me and we will split all those bills 3 ways so my total house bills/utilities/etc., will be roughly $300 maybe.

Sorry if this is too long I just really need advice on this as I really want the truck. Also the house mortgage isn’t in my name so I just consider it rent

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

Q: Why does a 20 year old need a $44k truck?
A: Idk I dont need it
Kids, man. gently caress.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just me, or is $300/mo a lot for car insurance?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Just me, or is $300/mo a lot for car insurance?

I mean if you're 20 and just bought a new fuckin' car with that kind of income I'm sure the insurance company statistics files you squarely in the "expensive risky idiot" category

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I dunno, its a lot more than I pay for my wife and I, but we're not 20 years old with a brand new car.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I'm imagining that when the insurance agent heard from this person they just sighed and checked the "Young Dumb Idiot Premium Rate" box.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And insurance rates are really regional, so he might be getting the one-two punch of being a young dumb idiot in someplace like Michigan.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Haifisch posted:

And insurance rates are really regional, so he might be getting the one-two punch of being a young dumb idiot in someplace like Michigan.

I was all excited after a bunch of people told me that at 25 "your insurance rates go down!" like it's the last official 'becoming an adult' thing you can do except when I turned 25 I also simultaneously moved to a new city and my rates actually went up to 150% of what they were previously :argh:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Paying $700/mo to drive a Chevy Cruze :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

I was all excited after a bunch of people told me that at 25 "your insurance rates go down!" like it's the last official 'becoming an adult' thing you can do

That hasn't been a thing in a long time. Like since actuarial calculations made their way into Lotus 1-2-3 long time.

Anecdotal evidence may indicate that it happens, but that's just because the real numbers say that most people who are either very young or old drivers suck at driving. Since the real numbers are nearly instantly calculable they use those rather than "you are 25! Let's give you a rate change!"