Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly though if more of the Char backstory stuff is what you want, watch The Origin OVA's. They're still coming out but they're pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I'm watching the available ones next :)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ova rankings.

0080: the best. Gundam condensed into six episodes.

08th MS team: overall good. Some really stupid missteps and a terrible final episode.

0083: beautiful animation and great soundtrack, awful characters that derail a straightforward plot into a convoluted mess.

Igloo: not worth your time.

Unicorn: well animated, fantastic supporting cast, wet blanket protagonist and lame villain.

Thunderbolt: antithesis of 0080. Great animation and soundtrack, but an incredibly spiteful show that tells you to gently caress off for enjoying carnage.

Twilight Axis: what the ever loving gently caress is going on with the editing?

I can't speak for other continuities because they don't really have many spinoffs.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I guess with Twilight Axis they were trying to see if they could hyper condense a novel into like half an hour of animation and it turns out they can't.

It might be the only Gundam production that is legitimately too short.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ova rankings.

0080: the best. Gundam condensed into six episodes.

08th MS team: overall good. Some really stupid missteps and a terrible final episode.

0083: beautiful animation and great soundtrack, awful characters that derail a straightforward plot into a convoluted mess.

Igloo: not worth your time.

Unicorn: well animated, fantastic supporting cast, wet blanket protagonist and lame villain.

Thunderbolt: antithesis of 0080. Great animation and soundtrack, but an incredibly spiteful show that tells you to gently caress off for enjoying carnage.

Twilight Axis: what the ever loving gently caress is going on with the editing?

I can't speak for other continuities because they don't really have many spinoffs.

agreeing with this, with the caveat that its 0083's main characters that are awful (its supporting ones are cool)

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I can't bring myself to rewatch 0080 because it definitely slightly traumatized me as a 13 year old. It's on my list though

I was going to rewatch Turn A this month but my external drive got destroyed by my upstairs roommate's friend. I was all ready to be super mad that Sochie got the worst ending. I think Relena and Rain are the only female Gundam characters I really like who get happy endings.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love Turn A's ending so much. Nearly everyone gets a happy ending, but your favorite character!

Poor Sochie.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
The 0083 manga rules btw.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Igloo is a good look at how Zeon RnD works. Throwing money at the wall harder and harder forever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mimir posted:

The 0083 manga rules btw.

Advance of Zeta?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Advance of Zeta?

0083: Rebellion. It's an Origin-style take on it, expands on the motivation of the characters, makes the backstory almost sensible, and it's very pretty.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

I love Turn A's ending so much. Nearly everyone gets a happy ending, but your favorite character!

Poor Sochie.

Dianna is about to die of cryo moon disease and Loran is going to go back to Sochie.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
While I know that, my heart of hearts still gets sad about Sochie getting the worst ending no matter how temporary. My inner Gundam thoughts rarely follow logic.

Hawke
May 1, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

Any idea when the second episode of Battlogue will air? I need more good Build Fighters stuff in my life.

There's a battlogue site that lists early September 2017 for episode 2 on amazon prime video, that's about all I can find about it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Dianna is about to die of cryo moon disease

Everyone says this but there's nothing in the show supporting it? The only thing that even vaguely hints at it is that she has a cane in the epilogue and it looks way more like a hiking stick than a sickly old people cane.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Poor Sochie.

Well, she's still alive, has friends, and she's pretty comfortably well off thanks to being both a war hero and the heir to her family's businesses (which are probably booming). It's a sad ending, but it's not too terrible of one, by Gundam standards.

Still.

Poor Sochie.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hawke posted:

There's a battlogue site that lists early September 2017 for episode 2 on amazon prime video, that's about all I can find about it.

Seems kind of odd considering GM's Counterattack starts this weekend.

Is Battlogue just Bandai promoting kits by having past Gundam characters fight in them, then?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This Zephyranthes design is 20 times better than the actual 0083 one and I want an MG of it.

e; and like 10 pages later it's back to being a lovely boring Gundam. :rip:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 22, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That looks like a grunt on steroids.

It's not like the actual GP01 is a bad design though. It's probably my favorite take on the basic RX-78 frame.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ElBrak posted:

Igloo is a good look at how Zeon RnD works. Throwing money at the wall harder and harder forever.

It's a thinly veiled allegory for Nazi Germany wunderwaffe which is pretty much the same thing.

Lemon-Lime posted:

This Zephyranthes design is 20 times better than the actual 0083 one and I want an MG of it.

e; and like 10 pages later it's back to being a lovely boring Gundam. :rip:

How many cameras does that thing have on its head, 4-6?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh sweet, it has the additional Cima content my heart craves.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just picked up Gundam Breaker 3, and I think this game is going to kidnap me for a while. Dynasty Warriors with gunpla building creation systems? Holy moly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ethiser posted:

Dianna is about to die of cryo moon disease and Loran is going to go back to Sochie.

No.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sochie threw away Loran's fish toy, and that's a deal breaker.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eej posted:

It's a thinly veiled allegory for Nazi Germany wunderwaffe which is pretty much the same thing.

How many cameras does that thing have on its head, 4-6?

Two? Visor and main camera. Everything else looks like vents and vulcans.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Those two camera looking things on the side have to be attached to the head or else it can't even rotate its head without ripping them off.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eej posted:

Those two camera looking things on the side have to be attached to the head or else it can't even rotate its head without ripping them off.

A poorly designed gundam? Why I never.

It looks to be more of a perspective/lovely art thing. Here is a different look at the same gundam. They're clearly supposed to be shoulder... things. Like the sort of thing they have on the star build strike.

http://blog.naver.com/storyphoto/vi...05-880x1280.jpg

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 22, 2017

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Jesus Christ it's $420 complete in box

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
People talk about Rau le Creuset, but it's actually Norris Packard whose dub voice is the biggest improvement over the Japanese.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

Everyone says this but there's nothing in the show supporting it? The only thing that even vaguely hints at it is that she has a cane in the epilogue and it looks way more like a hiking stick than a sickly old people cane.

There are a few small things in the show that support it, but they're never the things that are discussed. Mostly what people seem to base it on is a scene on the Moon where Dianna tells Kihel that because of all the time she's spent in hibernation she can no longer be as "energetic" as Kihel, and then expounds how she thinks her dream of living on Earth up until her death may have been selfish; with people taking the vague wording of "up until my death" as proof she's dying. Putting aside the vague wording it makes no sense that she would die though because (a) Gym Ghingham is also at least as old as her, if not older and has certainly spent as much time in hibernation as she has, (b) Corin Nander is both far, far older and has spent longer in hibernation, even if he probably hasn't been in and out as much and (c) the entire Moonrace population is cycled in and out of hibernation regularly dependent on how much work is available.

Gym by the way is probably 2,500 years old or more, since Sweatson Sutero at one point says he isn't like Gym who spent 2,000 or 3,000 years simply training and Gym himself says that only someone who's been in the military for 2,500 years could use the Turn-X when Dianna is ordering him to turn it over to her before he rebels. There's no way he's naturally that old, so he's almost certainly like Dianna and been in and out of hibernation regularly for thousands of years as and when he felt was called for. Dianna comments that she doesn't know Corin's age in the last few episodes, but says that his records pre-date the Moonrace itself. He also has to have been out of hibernation before, since when he first appears on Earth one of the engineers recognizes him instantly and is scared of him based on his reputation for chaos. Fran Doll also explains to Miashei that the vast majority of the Moonrace is in hibernation at any one time, but that random people are unfrozen based on how much work is available, with the scene cutting to a daughter meeting her mother and being twice the mother's apparent age because of the hibernation's effect on aging.

The undesirable side effects of hibernation are also implied a few times in the show, and a seemingly younger death due to over use is never implied as one of the problems. Harry tells Kihel fairly early that because his family was commoners they were only given standard care and thus his father died in hibernation, while Corin's apparent madness is implied to be because of his time in hibernation within the show if I recall, but is a purely mental condition and not a physical one of any kind. Data books also note that he was deliberately driven mad by being forced to dream and as such, given awareness that he was in cold sleep for an extended period of time as punishment for something, where most hibernation is dreamless.

Now, there are some things that I think could hint at her having a problem due to her constant hibernation, but none that I feel point to death as the consequence. When Dianna is on the bridge of the Soliel during the final battle for instance she wonders if she'll ever remember the face of her parents at one point, and in the epilogue itself she goes to bed while the sun is still out going by the window. I think there might have been a third instance of some kind too, but it's escaping me for the moment if there was. Regardless, the first is like Corin and is purely a mental thing and points to her forgetting even fairly primal things after an extended time while the second is really just a sign of fatigue. I also just think it'd be weird for the show to only hint at her apparent oncoming death in the epilogue through such a small thing, especially when during the early show she's actually fairly active and energetic on Earth, running around and full of the vim of a newly discovered life.

More to the point though I suppose I just don't see why anyone would want that for Sochie herself. If Loran was simply taking care of Dianna and going to go back to Sochie once Dianna had died then Sochie would always have to live with the recognition that she was literally second place in Loran's priorities to another woman. It doesn't matter whether his relationship with Dianna was entirely servile, because she'd always know he gave that relationship greater priority than his relationship to her. Which is a fairly awful thing to have to live with in a romantic partner. There's also no reason given why Sochie couldn't just come live with them, since there's absolutely no reason a couple couldn't take of her just as well as a single person. The servants of the Heim household at the start of the show are an elderly, and quite obviously married couple for instance. If Loran did love Sochie then Sochie could have come to live with them, presumably taking her mother with her. She didn't though, so I doubt there was any long term relationship there.

I don't even think a relationship between them makes sense though personally, since while Loran definitely likes Sochie he only ever seems to do so as a friend and often seems to be putting up with her antics and personality despite her rather than due to her. When she wants to take the Turn-A for instance, he doesn't really give her much time and mostly brushes her off until Guin says she can. Or when she wants to talk to him because Gavane has proposed, he just says he has other things to do and leaves to go fight without paying much attention. Even late in the show on the Moon when he's hanging around with the twin mechanics who are being rather flirty Sochie gets a little annoyed about it and he qualifies his defense of her by saying that she can be nice despite her prejudices, not to tell them simply that she is nice. An episode or two later as they're all travelling to the port to go back to Earth Sochie also accuses Loran of being too happy about the Turn-A's theft and wonders if he's a spy of some kind, while Dianna and Kihel both understand that he's free of the burden of responsibility that is the Turn-A and acting like himself again. The fact she doesn't really trust or understand him even 4 or 5 episodes from the finale is rather stark in that scene, and makes me wonder why a relationship would even be desirable since after more than two years of familiarity and living through strife she still thinks of him as a possible spy and someone to be watched.

Sochie to me "loses" in the finale because she's basically learning a final lesson and having to get over her first crush and realizing love won't always be simply a crush and work out. I don't think it's really a bad thing though personally, and think the shot of her throwing away Loran's fish while screaming is actually rather hopeful and a sign that she's trying to move on, and eventually will, at least to me. Beyond the loss of a crush she really didn't suffer unduly, and as someone else said she's personally rich, well connected and a war veteran widely recognized by fellow soldiers (she's recognized within the Inglessia, Borjarnon and Moon militaries at various times) so she could certainly be worse off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

People talk about Rau le Creuset, but it's actually Norris Packard whose dub voice is the biggest improvement over the Japanese.

Elodore is still the best performance in 08th MS team.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Beelerzebub posted:

Was there even any Gamedam games on the Guncube

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Was there even any Gamedam games on the Guncube

Yes.

But playing the Guncube was usually fatal, since it would shoot you with guns every time you booted it up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Every game system has had at least one Gundam game, they just usually don't get released in America

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, it'll never happen, but I'd like to see a Victory Gundam dub.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, Sawano isn't a bad composer by any stretch, but his Unicorn soundtrack is really overstuffed and overwhelming at times. Lay off the horns section a bit, dude.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know, Sawano isn't a bad composer by any stretch, but his Unicorn soundtrack is really overstuffed and overwhelming at times. Lay off the horns section a bit, dude.

I like Sawano when he does weird poo poo. The Xenoblade X OST is dumb good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beelerzebub posted:

Oh wow, I never knew they made red WiiU's :v:.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Individual elements of his Unicorn soundtrack are good, but his compositions are needlessly complex at times and it is hard to find a through line melody that ties the songs together. Most of the time, anyways. There are some outliers which I really like, such as Mobile Suit.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh wow, I never knew they made red WiiU's :v:.

It's processing at three times normal speed! That graphics chip is a veritable red comet.

EDIT. HAHAHAHA, Gundaminfo is airing the Philippine Engligh Dub of Build Fighters. Holy poo poo, redneck Mr Ral sounds amazing.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Individual elements of his Unicorn soundtrack are good, but his compositions are needlessly complex at times and it is hard to find a through line melody that ties the songs together. Most of the time, anyways. There are some outliers which I really like, such as Mobile Suit.

It's processing at three times normal speed! That graphics chip is a veritable red comet.

EDIT. HAHAHAHA, Gundaminfo is airing the Philippine Engligh Dub of Build Fighters. Holy poo poo, redneck Mr Ral sounds amazing.

Ragey!