Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Have been thinking, did anyone else feel like Hanging Tree a) walked right up to the edge of leaning too heavily into pop culture references; b) and jumped over; or c) didn't at all?

Not being British I didn't understand 98% of them, so it seemed fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

Have you ever built a house before? Because I literally just went through this process.

You sign a contract and the builder says "it'll take 3 months" and you say that's fine, we'll just move in with your parents for a few months until it's done.

2.5 months in, the builder says "it's gonna be another month". A month after that, they're still not done. Maybe not even close. But they won't give you a good timeframe because they don't even know at this point.

Now you're 6 months into the process, no clue when it'll be finished. Do you really want to go through the process of finding an apartment that'll allow you to rent month to month which is not easy. I'm a realtor and I've seen them offered AFTER a tenant has been in the property for a year but never upfront because what's the incentive for the owner? They get a tenant, go through the whole process of getting them in and then they just leave after a month and now they have to find another tenant.

And the entire thing is just stressful in general. The builder will mess things up so you have to constantly go to the property and make sure things are being done correctly. At mine, they put in the wrong sized posts throughout the entire house. So that took a lot of extra time to have them cut them out and replace them.

So I can completely understand his predicament. And who wants to go through the process of moving 3 times in a year if you don't have to. He doesn't owe anyone a book though I would love to have the next one. So let him take the time he needs.

I've worked with contractors like that many times. And, when they say, "it'll take 3 months" I rent a place for 3 months. Because, I have an income, and value my sanity.

edit: And, I agree, take your time. But dude, get out of the basement. It could still be 6 more months.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 20, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Daric posted:

Have you ever built a house before? Because I literally just went through this process.

You sign a contract and the builder says "it'll take 3 months" and you say that's fine, we'll just move in with your parents for a few months until it's done.

2.5 months in, the builder says "it's gonna be another month". A month after that, they're still not done. Maybe not even close. But they won't give you a good timeframe because they don't even know at this point.

Now you're 6 months into the process, no clue when it'll be finished. Do you really want to go through the process of finding an apartment that'll allow you to rent month to month which is not easy. I'm a realtor and I've seen them offered AFTER a tenant has been in the property for a year but never upfront because what's the incentive for the owner? They get a tenant, go through the whole process of getting them in and then they just leave after a month and now they have to find another tenant.

And the entire thing is just stressful in general. The builder will mess things up so you have to constantly go to the property and make sure things are being done correctly. At mine, they put in the wrong sized posts throughout the entire house. So that took a lot of extra time to have them cut them out and replace them.

So I can completely understand his predicament. And who wants to go through the process of moving 3 times in a year if you don't have to. He doesn't owe anyone a book though I would love to have the next one. So let him take the time he needs.

Jim, is that you? Hurry up man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How long has the construction been delayed on his house?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I don't know for sure but I'd guess 4-5 months overdue at this point. They never just come out and say "it's going to be another 5 months" though. Builders are just universally terrible.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Wasnt the original excuse his divorce?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
actually i think he literally owes his publisher a book so theres no excuses left god darn it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

torgeaux posted:

No, be a grown up, and rent a place. Or, don't use it as an excuse for not working.

Good thing he's still working, then. Just slowly.

Unless you're just accusing him of lying?

Wheat Loaf posted:

How long has the construction been delayed on his house?

Per what he told us at the convention I saw him at, it's pushing close to 18 months or so, including the time from when he moved out of his last place.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 20, 2017

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

jivjov posted:

Good thing he's still working, then. Just slowly.

Unless you're just accusing him of lying?

Per what he told us at the convention I saw him at, it's pushing close to 18 months or she basement.o, including the time from when he moved out of his last place.

Jesus. The whole discussion is because it's his reason things are going so slowly. But, yes, let me change that to, "Just don't complain that it's hurting your work pace," for the pedantic in the audience.

18 months. Back to the original point. Get out of the basement.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 20, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I swear I remember hearing his divorce was the reason for the delay, before all the house stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I swear I remember hearing his divorce was the reason for the delay, before all the house stuff.

Divorce was delay 1, then he was going to get settled in in a new place with fiancée #2, leading to the stupid-long delay #2

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

Divorce was delay 1, then he was going to get settled in in a new place with fiancée #2, leading to the stupid-long delay #2

I think he got divorced in 2012/2013, and then re-married in 2015 or 2016. Skin game was released in 2014, IIRC

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Yeah and the dog ate his homework. Poor Jimmy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I donno, maybe it's me, but I'd rather the guy take his time and write a good book than poo poo something out just so it's out. I'm not exactly dying of lack of entertainment options.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Alright, see you in 2022 when it comes out.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I mean I'm probably gonna buy the dumb book when it comes out, but the fact that it will take 4 years to write isn't a good thing. I'm gonna bitch the whole time and if it comes out finally and it's really good I'll say "this wasn't worth 4 years but i enjoyed it" and if it sucks well, i'll post in here about it.

Unless I just lose interest in waiting :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Daric posted:

I don't know for sure but I'd guess 4-5 months overdue at this point. They never just come out and say "it's going to be another 5 months" though. Builders are just universally terrible.

jivjov posted:

Per what he told us at the convention I saw him at, it's pushing close to 18 months or so, including the time from when he moved out of his last place.

Grounds for a suit for breach of contract, surely.

(Obviously commencing litigation would delay him even more, but when it's that far behind...)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Grounds for a suit for breach of contract, surely.

(Obviously commencing litigation would delay him even more, but when it's that far behind...)

There's usually language in the contract that shields the builders in situations like this. And, of course, a completed house a year or two late is preferable to half a house, most of the associated costs of a completed house, and a ton of legal fees.

Home building is a hell of a racket if you can get in on it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Double-posting!

http://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/2017/brief-cases-to-be-released-summer-2018

quote:

We have a general release date for Brief Cases, the second anthology of Dresden Files short stories: Summer 2018!

Brief Cases will include the following Dresdenverse stories:

“Curses” — Harry is hired to remove the Billy Goat Curse from Wrigley Field
“AAAA Wizardry” — Harry teaches young Wardens his procedure for dealing with supernatural nasties.
“Even Hand” — Marcone clashes with a rival supernatural power.
The Bigfoot Trilogy: “B is for Bigfoot,” “I Was A Teenage Bigfoot,” and “Bigfoot on Campus”
“Bombshells” — Molly teams up with Justine and Andi to thwart a Fomor plot.
“Jury Duty” — Harry endures Jury Duty.
“Cold Case” — Molly teams up with Ramirez to take on a Lovecraft-esque cult.
“Day One” — Butters’ first mission.
“A Fistful of Warlocks” — Luccio takes on necromancers in the Wild West.
Plus a new Dresden Files novella starring Maggie and Mouse!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are the oldest and most recent stories in the set? I've never read any of them but I know "Even Hand" at least has been about for ages.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think "AAAA Wizardry" is technically the oldest; it was in one of the RPG sourcebooks and came out in 2009. "Even Hand" came out in July 2010, which was actually before a few of the shorts included in Side Jobs, but couldn't be included in the earlier collection for contractual reasons.

"A Fistful of Warlocks" is the most recent story to be published (last month), though the Maggie and Mouse story will be "newer' as it'll appear for the first time in Brief Cases.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, I haven't looked at a Dresden book since Cold Days came out but reading those descriptions really reminds me why I got so heavy into them in university. :allears:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ahh finally I'll learn how Molly got her place

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I liked Jury Duty, might be nice to be able to read the rest of them.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I could have sworn that Jim was also the same author who went and publicly said "there is no such thing as writer's block for people who need to eat" or some bullshit. My personal suspicion is that he got more complacent as he got more successful.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Alright, see you in 2022 when it comes out.

:same:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snipee posted:

I could have sworn that Jim was also the same author who went and publicly said "there is no such thing as writer's block for people who need to eat" or some bullshit. My personal suspicion is that he got more complacent as he got more successful.

Dresden Files evens out to one novel a year for 15 years from 2000 to 2015, and Butcher's had various short stories and six Codex Alera novels (again, with one published every year from 2004 to 2009) published in that time period as well, so I think he's been quite productive for most of his professional career up to this whole kerfuffle about his house starting. :shrug:

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Snipee posted:

And he doesn't need to work to eat, so what's your point?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
bleh bad post nvm

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dresden Files evens out to one novel a year for 15 years from 2000 to 2015, and Butcher's had various short stories and six Codex Alera novels (again, with one published every year from 2004 to 2009) published in that time period as well, so I think he's been quite productive for most of his professional career up to this whole kerfuffle about his house starting. :shrug:

Also The Aeronaut's Windlass. 22 novels in 17 years really isn't ridiculously slow.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
GET BACK IN THE WORD MINES, BUTCHER!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Zore posted:

Also The Aeronaut's Windlass. 22 novels in 17 years really isn't ridiculously slow.

What was the thread consensus for that book by the way? Flawed, but if you can look past the weaknesses, a decent genre romp? I gave up on Alera after the first book.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Xtanstic posted:

What was the thread consensus for that book by the way? Flawed, but if you can look past the weaknesses, a decent genre romp? I gave up on Alera after the first book.

Yeah, its a step up from Alera. Weirdly bad title, and some insipid names (Captain Grimm!), but the book itself is pretty solid and avoids some of Butchers more notable foibles as a writer. Like we don't get all the weird male gaze stuff with the female characters, but it does go into how incredibly sexy this one dude is a ton.

Also features a cat as a POV character and he's pretty rad.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm actually rereading it now because I'm on a vacation and for some reason it's in my backpack even though I have no memory of putting it there. It's alright but nothing special

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Xtanstic posted:

I thought the first ~fifth of the book was incredibly boring... to the point where if it weren't Butcher I might have put it down. But about a fifth of the way in, it kicks things into high-gear (:haw:) and became an excellent novel.

The turning point that I can remember was the discussion between a couple of characters on what Democracy is. After that, what kept me was the incredible air combats, the interesting airship system, the intrigue...

Zore posted:

Also features a cat as a POV character and he's pretty rad.

... oh, and the cats. They were great.
They remind me a bit of the Canim from Alera--a very well thought-out non-human society.

Zore posted:

Yeah, its a step up from Alera. Weirdly bad title, and some insipid names (Captain Grimm!), but the book itself is pretty solid and avoids some of Butchers more notable foibles as a writer. Like we don't get all the weird male gaze stuff with the female characters, but it does go into how incredibly sexy this one dude is a ton.

I can forgive the Captain Grimm stuff because A) being a renegade captain, you might want to pick a fearsome name. It's good marketing; and B) there's not a bunch of characters with dumb or cliche names... just the one that I can remember. And even in real-life, you sometimes come across someone with an oddly spot-on name. I know a woman who works selling beer, and her last name has the word "Booze" in it. Sometime life is stranger than fiction.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 23, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Zore posted:

Yeah, its a step up from Alera. Weirdly bad title, and some insipid names (Captain Grimm!)

My mother-in-law used to be an elementary school teacher. Her best teacher friend's last name is Grimm. She got her doctorate. So there is a 4th grade class taught by Dr. Grimm. Which is one hell of a super villain name.

Blasphemeral posted:

And even in real-life, you sometimes come across someone with an oddly spot-on name. I know a woman who works selling beer, and her last name has the word "Booze" in it. Sometime life is stranger than fiction.

In high school, I had an English teacher named Ms. English.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
My elementary school bus driver was an older German woman named Mrs. Grimm.

She had teeth the size of tombstones.

secular woods sex fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 23, 2017

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Blasphemeral posted:

I can forgive the Captain Grimm stuff because A) being a renegade captain, you might want to pick a fearsome name. It's good marketing; and B) there's not a bunch of characters with dumb or cliche names... just the one that I can remember. And even in real-life, you sometimes come across someone with an oddly spot-on name. I know a woman who works selling beer, and her last name has the word "Booze" in it. Sometime life is stranger than fiction.

Witness the power of Nominative Determinism.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Aeronaut had a neat setting I'd like to see more of, but unfortunately (and quite surprisingly) the cat was the only character I actually liked or gave a crap about.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Anias posted:

I like the Kate Daniels world more than the Kate Daniels stories. That said, the novellas and short stories about Julie? are hilarious. Sadly for them to make sense you'd have to at least make it through the main series till she's introduced.

Definitely skip them if you can't deal with Romance Tropes showing up in your fiction though. (I find Romance Tropes no more irritating than any other Tropes) The authors are unapologetic about writing books that sell, and it's hard to blame them.

Yeah I got up to book 3 and I'm gonna drop the series. The world is cool and the main character is okay, but every time Curran shows up the book goes to crap. It's like Curran steals the spotlight form the main character because he is so alpha.

Next up is either Alex Verus or Rivers of London. Which book does the thread recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Both are great. Rivers is more of a police procedural with supernatural elements and Verus is very much supernatural. You can't go wrong with either.