Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wow South Park really went downhill

We're all aware. What does that have to do with Kirschen?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm an idiot, so please, make me less so! What's the Jewish equivalent of heaven?

Ask 50 rabbis and you'll get a hundred answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

Racist grandpa collab cartoon:

The gift that keeps on giving.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jabberlock posted:

Heaven exists as a concept in Judaism, but only in Christian texts do the dead go there. In the original Jewish bible, the dead go to a place called Sheol which is more comparable to the Underworld of Greek/Roman mythology. There's a lot of other interpretations though that I won't go into. My knowledge of even the concept of afterlife is spotty since they didn't cover this in hebrew school and I had to pretty much look this stuff up after the fact. As a kid, my assumption was that everyone goes to heaven (since hell doesn't exist) which I believe is a common mistake that most people (including political cartoonists) fall prey to. hth
You missed out Gan Eden.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

This is terrible he doesn't deserve that. I mean really, comparing an upstanding - if rather rotund - man to such a slimy, awful excuse for a being as Banon?

I do like the No-Klan logo though, that's a good one.

the_steve posted:

New one from Ward Sutton

He's totally ripping off Kelly with the top left one. There's even a Korner Kelly knockoff!

Pander posted:

they're not all good dogs bront :(

They are good dogs though, that's why it's so tragic. They want to be helpful to the humans in their pack... and if those humans are awful, being helpful to them can be awful in turn. :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

the_steve posted:

New one from Ward Sutton

hello yes I would like to crowdsource one heather heyer monument please

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

You missed out Gan Eden.

Don't forget Gehenna too!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

:perfect:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

no ring, 2/10

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hah

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This owns.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

On the other hand, have you considered this?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Nobody should consider this.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Terry went MAGA?! :gonk:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Why is Bannon doing yoga?

Oh poo poo. It's the "suck his own dick" comment Scarramuchi made, isn't it?

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Trying and failing to understand the joke here. As in I have no idea what they were trying to say with this. Even though 'it's me, skanks' made me laugh a little, I doubt that was the intended joke. EXPLAIN YOURSELF, lovely CARTOONIST. EXPLAIN.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

WHITE PEOPLE SIT DOWN! GOOD ALLIES BE QUIET AND LISTEN!

WHY ARE WHITE PEOPLE EXPECTING US TO LEAD? WHITE PEOPLE NEED TO MAKE THEIR VOICES HEARD!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

SwingShift posted:

Trying and failing to understand the joke here. As in I have no idea what they were trying to say with this. Even though 'it's me, skanks' made me laugh a little, I doubt that was the intended joke. EXPLAIN YOURSELF, lovely CARTOONIST. EXPLAIN.
the "joke" is that society doesn't Really oppress trans people, as demonstrated by this cartoon that shits on trans people while barely clinging to a veneer of being able to plausibly deny doing so. Also something about how trump supporters are the Real marginalised people :umberto:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Retromancer posted:

WHY ARE WHITE PEOPLE EXPECTING US TO LEAD? WHITE PEOPLE NEED TO MAKE THEIR VOICES HEARD!

This is a bad post

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This is a bad post
Yeah uh geez.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Still better than 99% of eclipse comics

https://twitter.com/ProFootballHOF/status/899693826083880962

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Retromancer posted:

White people, when they want to get involved in the struggle, should defer to minority voices.

White people, when talking to other white people, have to be bold and confrontational because a lot of other white people only listen when it's another white person ralking.

Not exactly a difficult concept.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Why would anyone expect white people to take a bold stand dismantling white supremacy though

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Why would anyone expect white people to take a bold stand dismantling white supremacy though

Because they're necessary for it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the comic just says 'the revolution', as written its about political action in general, not about minority causes or white supremacy.

why should white people defer to minority voices in political action in general?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Retromancer posted:

AND WHERE'S MY 'WHITE' ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION!?!?
:freep:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the comic just says 'the revolution', as written its about political action in general, not about minority causes or white supremacy.

why should white people defer to minority voices in political action in general?

Maybe because white people tend to see BLM, criminal justice reform, etc., as "minority causes" rather than reactions to (and what should have been warning signs regarding) the broader political changes that brought us Trump? And that even now, (certain) white people still could only see things in terms of what minorities can do to "save us from" Trump without really confronting the underlying causes?

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 23, 2017

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm an idiot, so please, make me less so! What's the Jewish equivalent of heaven?

The Jewish afterlife is actually kind of complex. The Hebrew bible doesn't actually say that much about what happens to you when you die, and when it does it's either a total bummer (souls go into the underworld, where presumably they are kept indefinitely) or just incredibly vague.
Jewish scholarship over the millennia expanded greatly on the concept, but there's no definite consensus about what happens after death. It's generally agreed upon that there is a Next World (Olam HaBa), where souls either go to immediately after death, or may only enter after the coming of the messiah and the salvation of the earth. There's also the matter of the resurrection, which is an event wherein said messiah will resurrect all dead Jews ever (only jews, sorry guys)- but while most Jewish scholars agree that the resurrection will happen eventually, it's not really clear what would happen next, or even what happens until then.
According to Maimonides, souls immediately detach from the body and enter the afterlife, whereupon they are either rewarded or punished. According to Nachmanides this is not the case, and souls will only be judged at the end times, and until then they just... sorta hang around I guess.
Also, the fact that Jews will only be resurrected in Israel brought about a strange concept called Gilgul Mechilot, which is the idea that the bodies of jews that weren't buried in Israel will, slowly, through the centuries, make their way underground towards the holy land, so that they will be present for the resurrection. The soul is attached to the body while this happens, and it's said to be very uncomfortable.
Some Kabbalistic scholars also maintain that some or all souls are reincarnated, and will continue to be reincarnated until end times. According to Isaac Luria's interpretation of the Zohar, one of the central texts of the Kabbalah, "new" souls have stopped coming to this world with the destruction of the second temple, and everyone's been reincarnating this whole time.

Welcome to Judaism, where everybody's got their own idea of what's going on, and everyone's wrong but you.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Starving Wolf posted:

Welcome to Judaism, where everybody's got their own idea of what's going on, and everyone's wrong but you.

Thanks, this makes me feel better in my half assed secular understanding.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Prickly City.

There ain't no road out of Hell.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Maybe because white people tend to see BLM, criminal justice reform, etc., as "minority causes" rather than reactions to (and what should have been warning signs regarding) the broader political changes that brought us Trump? And that even now, (certain) white people still could only see things in terms of what minorities can do to "save us from" Trump without really confronting the underlying causes?

well, having white people in charge of BLM is a nonstarter, obviously. so there's definitely things we can define as minority causes.

but like

AShamefulDisplay posted:

White people, when they want to get involved in the struggle, should defer to minority voices.

White people, when talking to other white people, have to be bold and confrontational because a lot of other white people only listen when it's another white person ralking.

Not exactly a difficult concept.

when the comic just says 'the struggle' it really leaves it open to interpretation, which IMO is why i think there's so much argument about it itt.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Do we know the political views of the dog, yet? Is the dog going to take over the strip, just heaping lovely cynicism on the duck?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the_steve posted:

Didn't they try to deflect that with some combination of "Well why are they living below sea level anyways?" and "Somehow, the looters are to blame." ?

Mostly accurate, apart from the group with a name seven letters long and ending in "-ers" that they tried blaming it on.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Ramos posted:

Prickly City.

There ain't no road out of Hell.

A cactus archway spelling out the words "THIS IS NOT AN EXIT."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Both of these comics become a lot less awful when they're not about politics. These two even have a joke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

• Locked thread