Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I can get a 2012 MBP with 8gb of RAM and a standard HDD for $260. Battery is in good shape. If I through a SSD in this, how functional will it be for the next few years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

IuniusBrutus posted:

I can get a 2012 MBP with 8gb of RAM and a standard HDD for $260. Battery is in good shape. If I through a SSD in this, how functional will it be for the next few years?

pretty decent depending upon what you want to do with it since 8GB is pretty much bare minimum now. 13" or 15" and if you know which 2012 model (retina or not, month of release, etc...) we'd probably be able to tell you if putting an SSD is going to be a son of a bitch or a real son of a bitch.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

GutBomb posted:

pretty decent depending upon what you want to do with it since 8GB is pretty much bare minimum now. 13" or 15" and if you know which 2012 model (retina or not, month of release, etc...) we'd probably be able to tell you if putting an SSD is going to be a son of a bitch or a real son of a bitch.

13" non-retina. I think I could learn to deal with the screen given the price, and I can always upgrade to 16gb of RAM if needed.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

IuniusBrutus posted:

13" non-retina. I think I could learn to deal with the screen given the price, and I can always upgrade to 16gb of RAM if needed.

If it is the mid-2012 then you can stick any SATA SSD in there and upgrade the RAM. I'd say do it. $260 is awesome.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was using my 2012 today while my main machine was rendering stuff, I put an SSD in a while back and replaced the DVD drive with the old HDD (bought an enclosure on eBay for a few bucks)
If you throw 16gb of ram in there and an SSD the computer is excellent.
Less than $300 is an absolute steal. I LOVE the keyboard on it.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

does the 13 inch touchbar 3.1 have enough Processor Umph to be good enough for 1080p games combined with an external enclosure?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

SRQ posted:

does the 13 inch touchbar 3.1 have enough Processor Umph to be good enough for 1080p games combined with an external enclosure?
Are eGPU's a thing for Macs? Last I heard from some adventurous friends of mine, you had to do some hoodoo to your machine that generally worked but lead to a kernel panic if you ever unplugged the external enclosure...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IAmKale posted:

Are eGPU's a thing for Macs? Last I heard from some adventurous friends of mine, you had to do some hoodoo to your machine that generally worked but lead to a kernel panic if you ever unplugged the external enclosure...
eGPU is still super hacky on Sierra, but High Sierra brings native support for it and Apple is even partnering with another company to sell an eGPU for developers.

Initial results with other enclosures and High Sierra beta are so far very positive. I'm pretty sure none of this helps the Windows 10 Boot Camp + eGPU situation though, which is still hacky.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 22, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Now if only Apple would ship a native Pascal driver so I could dumpster the lovely NVIDIA web drivers.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I thought the web drivers were better than native?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SRQ posted:

I thought the web drivers were better than native?

Performance wise, yes. The pascal drivers have been a bit glitchy and I have to restart periodically.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GutBomb posted:

It's not your money, why do you care? If it's in the budget just let the guy have his computer, poo poo.

Because gently caress the guy for making poo poo up or exaggerating instead of just asking like a grown up?

Edit: and it is my money, I am responsible for this portion of the budget.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Power trip. Got it.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Yeah man you sound like an rear end in a top hat.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Did you ever actually follow up with them to find out what exactly they need?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Is the cost difference large enough to potentially, even if you assume it's not probable, be significantly harming that person's ability to do work due to a vision problem? Why even take the risk, even the most expensive 'MAC' is a drop in the bucket for any real company.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are MACs particularly friendly for vision impaired users? I know we have all this Accessibility stuff, but is it actually 1. any good, 2. better than the alternatives?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Is upgrading my 2014 Air's SSD using a kit from MacSales.com a good idea or a fool's errand?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Retina displays are very easy on bad eyes as well and sure apple aren't the only ones making laptops with high dpi screens but they sure are nice.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

Are MACs particularly friendly for vision impaired users? I know we have all this Accessibility stuff, but is it actually 1. any good, 2. better than the alternatives?

I had laser eye surgery and it was significantly easier to use a MAC during recovery than windows computers. Windows stuff is like, really hard to turn on and inconsistent and doesn't make much sense or really tell you how it works, when/if it does at all.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So AlternateAccount, maybe that person has a justified request?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Weedle posted:

Is upgrading my 2014 Air's SSD using a kit from MacSales.com a good idea or a fool's errand?

It's ok but I'd sooner trust a kit from Transcend via Amazon, Macsales tends to use shadowy suppliers and I've been burned the few times I recommended them for anything other than an adapter kit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

Someone else already mentioned that Mac's have more seamless accessibility features. Windows has those options as well, but it's easier to activate and use on a Mac.

Like I have bad reading vision and if the text is too small I can quickly zoom in using the trackpad. I can zoom on a Windows laptop too, but not as easily or intuitively.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Apple’s accessibility options generally surpass other offerings out there by a wide margin

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think one time Tim was at a shareholder meeting and was asked why Apple is devoting so much time and resources to accessibility options and he basically told the guy to get hosed (in Timspeak)

edit: it was a question about Apple's Green Policy, but he mentioned Accessibility:

quote:

NCPPR put forward a shareholder's proposal asking Apple to disclose how much it spends on sustainability programs. If those costs detracted from Apple's bottom line, the NCPPR demanded that Apple discontinue the programs and commit only to projects that are explicitly profitable. Cook apparently became angry at the group's request. According to an account from MacObserver:

What ensued was the only time I can recall seeing Tim Cook angry, and he categorically rejected the worldview behind the NCPPR's advocacy. He said that there are many things Apple does because they are right and just, and that a return on investment (ROI) was not the primary consideration on such issues. "When we work on making our devices accessible by the blind," he said, "I don't consider the bloody ROI." He said that the same thing about environmental issues, worker safety, and other areas where Apple is a leader.

He didn't stop there, however, as he looked directly at the NCPPR representative and said, "If you want me to do things only for ROI reasons, you should get out of this stock."

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 22, 2017

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

As long as you don't poke your eyeball when applying the eyeliner, MAC is just as accessible as any other makeup line.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cingulate posted:

So AlternateAccount, maybe that person has a justified request?

Holy moly. Yes they might. Which is why I sent an email to their manager who had forwarded their request, prefaced with, "we certainly will make whatever accommodations this condition requires to make the user comfortable..."

Yes it's a substantial cost difference, and I don't really think it's a power trip to not automatically drop a non-inconsequential amount of additional money on an employee due to an issue that is literally only described as "vision problems." Strangely enough, it's been two workdays and there's been no reply.

This is doubly hilarious because I am probably the biggest advocate of apple gear in the company and I am always trying to get more of them out there, but I don't like people who try to bullshit us, and it happens often. The user is asked what kind of gear they need when they are hired, somehow this didn't become an issue until they actually got their laptop?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you need legit accommodations then I'd think you'd be more specific unless it's embarrassing. I don't think your response was inappropriate.

So "need a MAC because of documented poor eyesight and accessibility issues". Maybe not, "need special chair because of a hemorrhoid the size of a walnut."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah I tried to be as polite as possible and sound the least like I was fishing for a denial. Like any even remotely legitimate reason is fine for me.

When I first started I was issued a 15” Lenovo with a 1366x768 display. Let me tell you about vision problems. Turns out a dummy in purchasing tried to shave a few bucks and screens were supposed to be 1080. So every time I see a user with one of those machines it’s an instant swap to a new one, regardless of life cycle. See? I am not a monster.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah I tried to be as polite as possible and sound the least like I was fishing for a denial. Like any even remotely legitimate reason is fine for me.

When I first started I was issued a 15” Lenovo with a 1366x768 display. Let me tell you about vision problems. Turns out a dummy in purchasing tried to shave a few bucks and screens were supposed to be 1080. So every time I see a user with one of those machines it’s an instant swap to a new one, regardless of life cycle. See? I am not a monster.

I bought one of those 15" 768p lenovos in 2011 for school, because I had a strict budget and needed something with the grunt to run several VMs at once, so I sacrificed on screen quality which was very expensive at the time. Then I finished my course and I sold it to my dad, and he's still using the fucker. It makes me cringe every time I have to give him IT support. I keep encouraging him to replace it but he's one of those 'keep using it till it dies' folk. He just makes himself breakfast while he waits for it to boot of a morning.

Mad_Hatter
Oct 31, 2000
I wasted 10 bucks
P.S. I love Phat_Albert
I've been looking at upgrading my old MBA to the new 13" MBP with touchbar. I don't imminently need to do it, but is there any particular reason that I would want to wait for the next refresh?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mad_Hatter posted:

I've been looking at upgrading my old MBA to the new 13" MBP with touchbar. I don't imminently need to do it, but is there any particular reason that I would want to wait for the next refresh?

The next generation of intel CPUs will have 6 cores in mainstream i5s for the first time ever, and quad core i3s. You can't be certain, but I'd say that would mean the next 13" MacBook Pro may well have a quad core CPU for the first time, and the 15" would have a 6 core for the first time. We would also probably see the MBPs finally move to DDR4 ram. Depending on your workload it would be the most significant CPU upgrade in a while.

On the other hand the current generation of MBPs is only a month old so you'll be waiting a long time for a refresh.

eames
May 9, 2009

Coffee Lake still doesn't support LPDDR4 so DDR4 in the next refresh seems unlikely.
They may add a 32GB option despite the power impact just because many people are demanding it. Or perhaps they'll skip Coffee Lake and go for 10nm Cannon Lake right away.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

eames posted:

Coffee Lake still doesn't support LPDDR4 so DDR4 in the next refresh seems unlikely.
They may add a 32GB option despite the power impact just because many people are demanding it. Or perhaps they'll skip Coffee Lake and go for 10nm Cannon Lake right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Hey guys, can sorta-retro hardware play in this thread? apologies for the crappy picture

Dug this out of my parents' attic earlier after it had been sitting there for god knows how long, and it fired right up. 10.4 plus Classic 9.2 is cool for all of those retro Mac games like 3 in Three, Marathon, and...uh, Doom? This is a bit of a long shot, but it needs a new CPU fan; does anyone have a suggestion for a good replacement, or should I try to track down an Apple OEM one? The only thing that makes me reluctant to do that is the fact that any OEM fan is going to have something like 15 years of use on it and will probably be on its last legs.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'd probably try to use the existing heat sink and rig up some kind of newer fan on it if that's possible.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

10.4 plus Classic 9.2 is cool for all of those retro Mac games like 3 in Three, Marathon, and...uh, Doom?

I think you can still download Nanosaur.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

really funny how the MAC thread just flipped & twisted around to "don't buy a mac" for a couple days.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Evis posted:

I'd probably try to use the existing heat sink and rig up some kind of newer fan on it if that's possible.

IIRC, the Quicksilver G4 uses a giant fanless aluminum heat sink on the CPU(s) package and the fan is located in the case-lid along with the power supply, so fans are easy to deal with. I think I found a Noctua that fit right in plus it's quieter than the stock one was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

JnnyThndrs posted:

IIRC, the Quicksilver G4 uses a giant fanless aluminum heat sink on the CPU(s) package and the fan is located in the case-lid along with the power supply, so fans are easy to deal with. I think I found a Noctua that fit right in plus it's quieter than the stock one was.

Yep, it's a "fanless" heat sink, but there is a pseudo-CPU/case fan right next to it between the heatsink and the back case plate. Guessing that's the fan you're referring to above, but yeah, it's easy to remove.