Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The ideologically correct together is unknown armies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
unknown armies is too 90s for me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grondoth posted:

unknown armies is too 90s for me

There's a new edition coming out that updates the setting for exactly that reason. I don't know if it's out yet but I got the backer PDFs and its really good.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

There's a new edition coming out that updates the setting for exactly that reason. I don't know if it's out yet but I got the backer PDFs and its really good.

Have they fixed the mechanics? Because that was the biggest stumbling block for the old system, being just this side of unusable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Have they fixed the mechanics? Because that was the biggest stumbling block for the old system, being just this side of unusable.

I've listened to a couple of Let's Plays and it seems like they've changed the base mechanics to a percentile system that resembles Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

powerpuff avis never troll

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pinbacker posted:

If you need to put sauce on your bbq it wasn't that good to begin with.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

when did bernie say that also hillary clinton literally used slave labor

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

when did bernie say that also hillary clinton literally used slave labor

Bernie just did a jobs rally in Indianapolis and said people need good paying jobs. But will a good paying job solve racism?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i dont think there's a thread dedicated to this sort of thing and im too lazy to make one for it so let's talk about how logging and petroleum companies are using RICO lawsuits against groups that oppose them

Dakota Access Pipeline owner sues Greenpeace, arguing it broke organized crime law

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i dont think there's a thread dedicated to this sort of thing and im too lazy to make one for it so let's talk about how logging and petroleum companies are using RICO lawsuits against groups that oppose them

Dakota Access Pipeline owner sues Greenpeace, arguing it broke organized crime law

A logging company in Canada pulled this poo poo too. Don't know how it ended, but this is not good.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
LOL Corporations using RICO against people is rich. Why hasn't anyone used RICO against Wall Street?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rand alPaul posted:

LOL Corporations using RICO against people is rich. Why hasn't anyone used RICO against Wall Street?

Obama thought we needed healing not lawsuits.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The "lol nothing matters"est game is Delta Green because you can't win and you're all expendable.

You don't even have to really explore the Cthulhu mythos all that much: just have players deal with the problem of getting guns through security, or the Homeland Security implications of stirring up a terrorist threat in order to justify deploying an HRT squad against cultists.

Good take, Delta Green is awesome

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

the modern financial system is built on fantastical levels of bullshit and speculation and prosecuting people for that obviously doesnt make sense if your goal was to figure out how to keep the game running

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Financial markets are like self-help seminars. If people start losing their confidence, all the money disappears.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
democrats would never lose if all their ads were like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vcB7uCqdFk

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8cVYg7RNx4

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

ThndrShk2k posted:

Gotta be a troll

I have bad news

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Concerned Citizen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DviirYd1xs

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
police/prison abolition might help black people more than JOBS JOBS JOBS but i don't think that's what the libs mean

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deadgoon posted:

police/prison abolition might help black people more than JOBS JOBS JOBS but i don't think that's what the libs mean

police abolition doesn't stop the landlord from jacking up your rent and then hiring a private security contractor to forcibly evict you for violating the NAP via trespassing

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner posted:

police abolition doesn't stop the landlord from jacking up your rent and then hiring a private security contractor to forcibly evict you for violating the NAP via trespassing

to clarify my point, I mean, police abolition requires a vast restructuring of the economy and redistribution of wealth in a way to put a stop to the forces of gentrification, and also prevent capital holders from using police abolition as an excuse to lobby for privatized police forces

again, racial and economic justice are deeply intertwined in a long and brutal history of power relations going back hundreds of years

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
police/prison/landlord/boss abolition

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

to clarify my point, I mean, police abolition requires a vast restructuring of the economy and redistribution of wealth in a way to put a stop to the forces of gentrification, and also prevent capital holders from using police abolition as an excuse to lobby for privatized police forces

again, racial and economic justice are deeply intertwined in a long and brutal history of power relations going back hundreds of years

This is a good take. It seems so wildly impossible for "police abolition" to be even seriously considered for some people because holy poo poo, the entire structure has been glued together to work this way for longer than anyone can remember.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DuckSpeech/status/900249390564032513

:yikes:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

the only reason anyone is able to pretend the economy is actually good is because of the tremendous amounts of fictional money the financial industry​ constantly shuffles around

that's why the economy as a whole took a poo poo just because some people defaulted on subprime loans

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The person they're responding to is dumb in a generic run-of-the-mill D&D kinda way where they're very mad at this strawman in their head and give it a real person's name

but goddamn this take :psyduck:

Is she conflating jobs and slavery in a "wage slavery is war against the lower classes" communist fashion, because I already think that's kinda dumb (no, you cannot be an anime appraiser after the revolution) but it's the least-insane reason I can think of to do that

then they came for the profitable real estate, and I did not speak out, because I was not a wealthy landowner :911:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a good take. It seems so wildly impossible for "police abolition" to be even seriously considered for some people because holy poo poo, the entire structure has been glued together to work this way for longer than anyone can remember.

the modern police force has only been around for a bit over a century

it was created to enforce Jim Crow and suppress the growing labor movements

we didn't actually need professional police forced until we started using using the criminal justice system as a mechanism for enforcing race and class divides

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

MSNBC did a really bad thing today and broadcast a self-narrated excerpt from Clinton's new book. It almost made me fall asleep at the wheel on my way to work.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

It was about Trump skeeving on her at the debates and how she was just too strong of a female role model to respond, but in retrospect she should have called him out, or some bullshit. I dunno I was sleeping.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Main Paineframe posted:

the modern police force has only been around for a bit over a century

it was created to enforce Jim Crow and suppress the growing labor movements

we didn't actually need professional police forced until we started using using the criminal justice system as a mechanism for enforcing race and class divides

what'd people do for the big felony crimes prior to that (murder, kidnapping , etc)

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Aug 23, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zegermans posted:

It was about Trump skeeving on her at the debates and how she was just too strong of a female role model to respond, but in retrospect she should have called him out, or some bullshit. I dunno I was sleeping.

that weird standing up one where he constantly paced around to glower behind her was pretty creepy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I get the feeling the book is full of those kinds of "errors" where she says she should have done <X thing> but she was just too perfect and ascended of a human being to lower herself so

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

loquacius posted:

I get the feeling the book is full of those kinds of "errors" where she says she should have done <X thing> but she was just too perfect and ascended of a human being to lower herself so

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

loquacius posted:

she's taking on the criticism that she won't self-examine and learn from her mistakes for when she runs for president again

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

she's taking on the criticism that she won't self-examine and learn from her mistakes for when she runs for president again

it's like the emails thing. she'll self criticize but always frame it in a "but seriously though in a just world I did nothing wrong"

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
What mistakes?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mastershakeman posted:

what'd people do for the big felony crimes prior to that (murder, kidnapping , etc)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/749961528422625281

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

typically, it was a community affair. there'd be a sheriff or two, supported by (often unarmed) volunteer constables and a neighborhood watch. if poo poo really went down, the sheriff would round up a posse of volunteer helpers or call in the militia. in places where there was a particular problem, a detective agency would be hired

this was sufficient for dealing with violent crime, which wasn't all that common anyway. but since those systems were inherently designed to protect communities, they weren't very good at protecting the commerce and profits of rich industrialists, and they weren't a reliable bulwark against the social shifts caused by the Industrial Revolution and the rise of capitalism. so professional police forces started springing up with the objective of enforcing class divisions, protecting the property and infrastructure of the mega-rich, intimidating the increasingly-poor working class into submission, and cracking down on social movements that could potentially threaten the oligarchs' profits or position. in the American South they had the extra objective of enforcing racial divisions as well as class divisions

• Locked thread