Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

K. Waste posted:

Nah, Predators was dope

I liked Predator 2 as well. Actually, the Predator series never had a solid disaster like Alien Resurrection.

Shane Black's movie is going to be at least as good as Predators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

K. Waste posted:

Nah, Predators was dope
I'm going to check this out. Is it better to go in clear headed or with a couple of shots?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ersatz posted:

I'm going to check this out. Is it better to go in clear headed or with a couple of shots?

It won't make much difference. It's a fun cool movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's not a movie you need to get hosed up to enjoy.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Snak posted:

It's not a movie you need to get hosed up to enjoy.
Sweet. Clear headed it is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

It won't make much difference. It's a fun cool movie.

As opposed to Predator 2, which is somewhat confusing until you have two drinks in you, at which point it gets better and better with each drink after that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Predator 2 > Predator >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Robowar starring Reb Brown > Predators

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I really wanted Stallone to pull off Expendables vs. Predator, but Predators comes pretty close to what that final product would've been anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

The Neomorphs literally did nothing wrong.

It's been a long time (since before Prometheus) but wasn't there a theory that's reasonably well-supported by the text that the xenomorphs have always been acting in self-defense?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

It's been a long time (since before Prometheus) but wasn't there a theory that's reasonably well-supported by the text that the xenomorphs have always been acting in self-defense?

There's certainly nothing that disproves that. In Alien it's born on the spaceship and has nowhere to go, in Aliens people disturb the Queen's nest, and Alien 3 is similar to the original in that the xeno is trapped in the prison and has nowhere to escape to. Resurrection same thing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly, I liked Covenant a lot, but it was tonally confused as gently caress; it juxtaposes completely horrifying poo poo with literal Looney Tunes gags. it kind of reminded me of Korean genre films in that way, like The Host.

The film is not 'tonally confused'. You have simply misidentified the tone; the viewpoint character is Walter, and Walter does not experience fear. He simply watches things with a detached fascination.

(I pointed this out long before the release of the Phobos short film.)

Covenant is not horror-comedy, though it has elements of both. It is, as gone over earlier, a gothic romance about an alchemist. It's simply mythic.

Is the book of Genesis horror, or comedy?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

RedSpider posted:

Shane Black's movie is going to be at least as good as Predators.

read the outline. its going to be dogshit

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

precision posted:

Totally. The Alien is, most generously, a ferocious and extremely territorial animal, but that still makes it an animal. Scott and Cameraon talk about this on their respective commentaries for Alien and Aliens, I appreciate that Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Covenant do a really good job keeping the intelligence of the aliens vague and it's not really possible to resolve if they're on the level of "extremely smart dog figures out push button = thing happens" or if they're straight up as intelligent with us.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I think the most unbelievable thing about Covenant, was how a Swedish actress playing a British archaeologist would be singing Take Me Home, Country Roads of all loving songs.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Ersatz posted:

By shots I thought you meant screenshots, then I realized you were talking about getting wasted, so have some screenshots anyway, but, yeah, go in sober

Vakal posted:

I think the most unbelievable thing about Covenant, was how a Swedish actress playing a British archaeologist would be singing Take Me Home, Country Roads of all loving songs.

But more or less unbelievable than Ripley choosing "Lucky Star" to make herself appear off-guard and vulnerable?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think it was either K. Waste or HUNDU that said that Predator 2 is basically a perfect adaptation of a 90's Dark Horse comic that doesn't actually exist, and that's a pretty good way to describe it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
swing low, sweet chariot would have been some appropriate irony

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think it was either K. Waste or HUNDU that said that Predator 2 is basically a perfect adaptation of a 90's Dark Horse comic that doesn't actually exist, and that's a pretty good way to describe it.

I've said that a lot too, and it makes sense since Predator 2 takes a lot of plot elements from the initial comics. To the point where I've always considered Predator 2 a straight up comic book movie like X-Men or Blade or whatever. But on top fo that the way it's shot and the way everything is super overblown, like it's easy to see how much that movie helped define extreme 90s comics. Like how The Crow movie was way more influential on comics than the actual Crow comics.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can't take credit for that one, but that's really good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

That was def' Hundu or somebody else, I don't really care for P2.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I agree with you regarding many other movies (Evil Dead 2 and Re-Animator, for instance) but I don't think Covenant really nailed this.

the trick to comedy-horror is to actually blend the two elements. Re-Animator has a brutal sexual assault scene in which the aggressor is a severed head making awful puns, for example, and the scene ends up being a strange blend of horrifying and hilarious, such that you come out completely unsure how the gently caress to actually feel about it. Covenant, meanwhile, shows you something that's horrifying but not funny (the backburster), then something that's funny but not horrifying (the near-Benny Hill chase scene with the backburster), then something that's horrifying but not funny again (the faceburster), and so on/so forth.

See, this just kind of seems like a way to delineate Re-Animator's approach to the absurd from Alien: Covenant without applying the same level of scrutiny to the plotting of the former as opposed to the latter. Like, you could just as easily claim that Re-Animator fundamentally can't blend comedy and horror, because watching a zombie-head trying to get its zombie-body to work properly is simply not comparable to watching this same character(s) perform sexual assault. Even from the way you describe it, if I may, you seem to be describing a profound conflict in your feelings about the respective sequences, rather than a consistent emotional state that more-or-less perfectly fuses the sensations of horror and humor.

For my money, the historical and cultural overlap between horror and humor - both contained within traditions of the theatrical and particularly the absurd - renders the interaction between them rather mute. The same words that describe the humorous, and are taken for granted to describe humor - absurdity, hilarity, ridiculousness, etc. - are etymologically inextricable from notions of little madness, of wild and uncontrollable nonsense, of a fundamental upset in the natural order simultaneously liberating and diabolical. Angels to some, demons to others, as it were. In a certain regard, Covenant is just a more subtle 'blend' of comedy and horror, as it were, and the key differences between it and Re-Animator are still the aesthetic ones, how these horrific and comic scenarios are framed by the subjective of the characters. We can argue about whether the sexual assault scene is, like, too absurd to be taken seriously or something, but ultimately the narrative function of the event is very straightforward: It's the worst nightmare of a couple of students who feel constantly under pressure of coercion and exploitation from the social superiors who wield inordinate control over their futures. As SMG pointed out, Covenant doesn't give expression to the same anxieties, or even any anxieties at all, because the movie is from the point of view of a character who is fascinated by them and wants them to happen. It's Re-Animator from the point-of-view of the zombie doctor guy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

K. Waste posted:

By shots I thought you meant screenshots, then I realized you were talking about getting wasted, so have some screenshots anyway, but, yeah, go in sober

But more or less unbelievable than Ripley choosing "Lucky Star" to make herself appear off-guard and vulnerable?

To be fair it was a song she used to sing to her daughter, and she was singing it to keep herself calm.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe Holloway was a huge John Denver fan.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I just like monster rules.

You're expecting them to stick to 'rules' that aren't hard and fast. The time and nature of the process are unspecified. We have no idea if they're consistent between films. Even if you really need it to be consistent and want to pretend the other films offer a strict blueprint, this film is different. It's the first time in the series that they've managed to remove a facehugger after it latches on, but before the coma, and without killing the person. It's quite clearly a different, though closely related subspecies, since it comes out as a skinny alien, rather than a snake fetus thing. So even if rules really matter to you, this doesn't break them. It establishes this as a different scenario to the previous films.

Snak posted:

It's not a movie that it's actually possible to enjoy.

Xenomrph keeps calling it a subversion. It isn't. It uses all the beats of the first film, but does them substantially worse.

ruddiger posted:

I really wanted Stallone to pull off Expendables vs. Predator, but Predators comes pretty close to what that final product would've been anyway.

Predator is already that, that was the point of Predator.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 23, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

She should be singing let the bodies hit the floor since david goo squirt the gently caress out of an entire city of monkgineers

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
All the doorways in the temple/castle they're in are roughly human size, right? From the clips I watched of David's lab it seems to be the case. Do we ever get any indication of the scale of the planet's inhabitants? Are they giants like the Engineers or more like humans? I don't remember seeing any specifics but it's been a while since I've seen it now.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe Holloway was a huge John Denver fan.

Maybe John Denver rules and that's reason enough for one person in a fictional future where they can clearly just ask the ship to play any music or any movie on request to know his most popular song.

Also, the characters on the ship in Covenant, much like the far-off future that is today, can just look up poo poo online and then play certain movies and music on demand, a virtually infinite self-access library.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Snowman_McK posted:

Xenomrph keeps calling it a subversion. It isn't. It uses all the beats of the first film, but does them substantially worse.

Definitely going to disagree - the movie takes a lot of beats from the first film and turns them on their heads.

The group of armed badasses initially doesn't trust each other, and are forced to work together.

They're dropped in a jungle, but unlike in the first movie where they know the jungle and use it to their advantage, in Predators it's foreign and dangerous.

The gruff heavy gunner is revealed to be a caring family man.

The protagonist tries covering himself in mud to hide, and it doesn't work.

The silent warrior engages a Predator in a one on one battle, and wins.

A lot of people complained that Predators is "just like the first movie", and it really isn't. Even the characterization of the Predators and the methods they use is different, but still in line with "hunting".

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Definitely going to disagree - the movie takes a lot of beats from the first film and turns them on their heads.

The group of armed badasses initially doesn't trust each other, and are forced to work together.

They're dropped in a jungle, but unlike in the first movie where they know the jungle and use it to their advantage, in Predators it's foreign and dangerous.

The gruff heavy gunner is revealed to be a caring family man.

The protagonist tries covering himself in mud to hide, and it doesn't work.

The silent warrior engages a Predator in a one on one battle, and wins.

A lot of people complained that Predators is "just like the first movie", and it really isn't. Even the characterization of the Predators and the methods they use is different, but still in line with "hunting".

Like i said. Makes them worse. The heroes start weaker and finish stronger against more predators who are larger and better equipped. It subverts it by making the boogeyman almost useless, this is true.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Predators was just more of the same dumb linebacker predator bullshit from AVP1. It didnt attempt to do anything cool with having the predator morphing into and being part of the environment or any of that. Also someone should have told Christian Bale hes not batman stop doing that dumb voice.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I really liked the dog things the Predators used to test the humans. They were genuinely unnerving.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Predators was just more of the same dumb linebacker predator bullshit from AVP1. It didnt attempt to do anything cool with having the predator morphing into and being part of the environment or any of that. Also someone should have told Christian Bale hes not batman stop doing that dumb voice.

lolwut

This sounds terrible, and I'm glad they didn't do it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Predators is kind of a dry-run for Prometheus in that they're both very transparently attempts to remake AVP, but actually well. Except whereas Prometheus deals in the 'chariots of fire' premise, Predators course-corrects from the really dumb climax of AVP where the Predator and humans unite against their 'common enemy,' which is literally just poor subaltern people. In Predators, a superficially similar scenario plays out at the film's climax, but in context there's explicitly no longer any delineation between humans, predators, and this 'third species' (representing the Third World), who are all basically being exploited together. A lot of subversive stuff goes on over the course of the entire movie - like the humans thinking they've killed a predator, but actually it's just one of the 'not-Aliens' that's in the same thick as them, Fishburne showing up dressed as a Predator, etc.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

We have before. It comes down to what makes Predator interesting. It's structured like a horror movie. They start out at the top of their game, and then get picked off. Only once they're reduced to one, and he falls back on ingenuity and desperation, does he triumph. Up until then, everybody is killed, in violation of the rules of the action movies. The guy who's got a friend to avenge, the weak guy who's supposed to rise to the occasion, the guy looking for redemption, the guy who makes the desperate last stand, they wounded guy. All, according to the rules of an action movie, should have at least an even shot, and they're all slaughtered ignominiously. The film knows the rules and breaks them. Poor Billy doesn't even get to die on screen.

Predators does nothing that interesting.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Snowman_McK posted:

We have before. It comes down to what makes Predator interesting. It's structured like a horror movie. They start out at the top of their game, and then get picked off. Only once they're reduced to one, and he falls back on ingenuity and desperation, does he triumph. Up until then, everybody is killed, in violation of the rules of the action movies. The guy who's got a friend to avenge, the weak guy who's supposed to rise to the occasion, the guy looking for redemption, the guy who makes the desperate last stand, they wounded guy. All, according to the rules of an action movie, should have at least an even shot, and they're all slaughtered ignominiously. The film knows the rules and breaks them. Poor Billy doesn't even get to die on screen.

Predators does nothing that interesting.

Predators is way more interesting than this interpretation of Predator.

Like, basically what you've reduced Predator to is it violates "rules," but the rule that you've come up with is apparently supporting characters can't die ignominiously killed... in horror movies?

Now let's actually court the notion that, obviously, Predators also violates 'rules,' or whatever - in that it crucially changes the triumph of one at the climax of the first film and clarifies it as damnation imagery. There is no 'angelic' helicopter coming. The protagonists stay in Hell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The theme of Predators is that, unlike in Predator, it's not "the other" who is the real source of danger, but the selfish people within your own group.

in Predator, the US Special Forces are the natural predators of 3rd world guerrillas. They are a breed apart. The Predator himself has the same relationship with the Special Forces as they do with the guerrillas. In Predators, the biggest threats to the humans are actually other humans, and the biggest threats to the Predators are other Predators. Where Predator is basically saying "beware of thinking 'might makes right' and preying on the weak, because someone stronger than you may one day apply that same logic", Predators is pointing out that you can't just identify groups as good or evil along cultural lines, because it is the morals of individuals that lead to "good" and "evil".

I don't think it's as well put together a film as Predator, but pretending that it's just "a copy, but worse" is ignoring everything that makes it different.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Not to sidetrack from the Predator chat, but here's a highlight reel of Ridley Scott from the Covenant director's commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDBr3xbgu0o

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Not to sidetrack from the Predator chat, but here's a highlight reel of Ridley Scott from the Covenant director's commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDBr3xbgu0o

I love Ridley Scott.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K. Waste posted:

" but the rule that you've come up with is apparently supporting characters can't die ignominiously killed... in horror movies?

No. I fairly specifically said rules of the action movie. That's why Predator is awesome. It's a horror movie that looks like an action movie, the same way that, say, Halloween, looks cosmetically like a teen drama. This is worrying that you managed to misinterpret something I said fairly explicitly.

Snak posted:

I don't think it's as well put together a film as Predator, but pretending that it's just "a copy, but worse" is ignoring everything that makes it different.

No it isn't. It's acknowledging those differences and noticing that they are worse than their equivalents in the original. Which they are. Those moral grey areas that the characters fall into pay off once in the film. The rest of the time, it's a team that functions identically to the one in the first film, they just argue and have 'who the gently caress is this?' exchanges.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So having a completely different theme is "equivalent, but worse".

Okay. Have a nice life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snak posted:

So having a completely different theme is "equivalent, but worse".

Okay. Have a nice life.

Having a completely different theme expressed through an almost identical but less interestingly executed structure is, yes.