Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Shear Modulus posted:

The trade makes a lot more sense from Boston's perspective if you remember that Ainge has been acting like IT has cooties for a year and has been desperate to avoid having to sign him to a big long-term deal next offseason, originally because he was short and now also because of the injury.

Ainge has hated Isaiah since he brought up wanting a "Brinks truck" of money 2 years ago. Was never going to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

predicto posted:

My wife is a Celtics fan and she keeps asking me for reassurance that this trade isn't as bad as it looks and I don't know what to say and my marriage is in peril help me guys

I'm guessing the peril part is a joke, because if trade reassurance could seriously impact it, then that makes me really sad. :(

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

predicto posted:

My wife is a Celtics fan and she keeps asking me for reassurance that this trade isn't as bad as it looks and I don't know what to say and my marriage is in peril help me guys

Just show her this https://youtu.be/Wcz_kDCBTBk

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Doltos posted:

I don't think it is. Kyrie's just plain better than Isaiah and the rest of those pieces probably wouldn't get them a championship. The Brooklyn pick isn't a guaranteed #1, and a #1 pick isn't a guaranteed all star. Jae Crowder was valuable but he's a supporting piece and was blocking Tatum and Brown playing time. Zizic is just whatever.

Celtics now have a pretty decent team with a bright future. The main downside is that the Butler trade was so one sided that it seemed like the Celtics could have gotten a different player than Kyrie for cheaper.

I used this. It seems to be working.

I used to think it was a good thing to have a spouse who is totally into the NBA (even if it is the Celtics)

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

SourKraut posted:

I'm guessing the peril part is a joke, because if trade reassurance could seriously impact it, then that makes me really sad. :(

Internet hyperbole my friend

We have a great 25 year marriage and we NBA together even though she doesnt love my Warriors like any normal person should

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

predicto posted:

Internet hyperbole my friend

We have a great 25 year marriage and we NBA together even though she doesnt love my Warriors like any normal person should

Oh good! Sorry, my infant son has been sick the last few days = negligible sleep for me, so my brain isn't working well!

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

lmfao jesus christ

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

ive nothing to add except noting 2017 has been fuckin wild

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
https://twitter.com/ericvdunn/status/900144475862904833

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What would be cool but won't happen is Chris Bosh somehow gets medically cleared for a midseason comeback...on the Cavs with Wade.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
So many people are with Clv on this trade that I think we're all gonna be wrong.

Along with the injury risk for IT; Kyrie might finally break through to 30+ppg. His biggest problem is he is too focus on getting into a rhythm he is comfortable with, a coach he respects could fix that. He wasn't gonna listen to Lebrons bitch, nor open himself up to Lebrons mockery if he sided with Blatt.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doltos posted:

I don't think it is. Kyrie's just plain better than Isaiah and the rest of those pieces probably wouldn't get them a championship. The Brooklyn pick isn't a guaranteed #1, and a #1 pick isn't a guaranteed all star. Jae Crowder was valuable but he's a supporting piece and was blocking Tatum and Brown playing time. Zizic is just whatever.

Celtics now have a pretty decent team with a bright future. The main downside is that the Butler trade was so one sided that it seemed like the Celtics could have gotten a different player than Kyrie for cheaper.

Kyrie isn't that much better than the IT + Crowder combo and the 2018 draft is loaded. Doncic, Porter, Bagley is a killer top 3 and the guys that can round out the top 5 aren't slouches

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Spacebump posted:

What would be cool but won't happen is Chris Bosh somehow gets medically cleared for a midseason comeback...on the Cavs with Wade.

Imagine if Derrick Rose was Back too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

predicto posted:

I used this. It seems to be working.

I used to think it was a good thing to have a spouse who is totally into the NBA (even if it is the Celtics)

Just out if curiosity what is Your Team

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Kyrie isn't that much better than the IT + Crowder combo and the 2018 draft is loaded. Doncic, Porter, Bagley is a killer top 3 and the guys that can round out the top 5 aren't slouches

Kyrie's better than an IT/Crowder combo.

The top ranked recruits going into the NCAA for the last few years in order:

2016 - Josh Jackson, Lonzo Ball, Harry Giles
2015 - Ben Simmons, Skal Labisserie, Brandon Ingram
2014 - Emmanuel Mudiay, Karl Anthony-Towns, Stanley Alexander
2013 - Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle, Andrew Harrison
2012 - Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammed, Kyle Anderson

It gets even better when you expand it to the top 5 and get the Cliff Alexanders and Chuck Diallos of the world.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Femur posted:

So many people are with Clv on this trade that I think we're all gonna be wrong.

Along with the injury risk for IT; Kyrie might finally break through to 30+ppg. His biggest problem is he is too focus on getting into a rhythm he is comfortable with, a coach he respects could fix that. He wasn't gonna listen to Lebrons bitch, nor open himself up to Lebrons mockery if he sided with Blatt.

There's virtually zero way this trade doesn't work out in their favor, even if IT never plays a single game for them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I like this move for both teams.

Both short and long term.

Kyrie was a malcontent, and you knew he was gonna leave(or you would have to pay him the super special awesome max if he managed to make an All NBA team.)

You are probably 85% sure gonna lose BronBron after this year.

You get the Nets pick and bought your way into the Porter, Bagley, Aytton and Doncic lottery.

Crowder is on a spectacular contract, and is a good all around player.

The C's get a taller and better version of Isiah in Kyrie, and unblocked their young wings playing time. Gotta hope those young wings pan out tho.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think this deal worked out for both Boston and Cleveland. Cavs are going to compete again and might be more rounded out given that Crowder does what Shump and JR do but better. The 2018 Brooklyn pick is an amazing get given they can either trade it to try and keep LeBron or at least have a potential block to build on if the rebuild happens. I think even if IT has a bum hip and can't come back until before the playoffs the Cavs will be fine.

Boston basically set up its future for the next two to four seasons, and they will be the best team in the east if LeBron leaves, so I can't really say they lost the deal because it's more for the future rather than this year. And they're gonna be good this year too, the drat bastards

I really hope Kyrie ups his game even further this season, it'll give more stars incentive to push for crazy trades because they want to be The Guy

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Has there ever been an offseason crazier than this one? There were so many huge deals that I can't even remember them all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Juaguocio posted:

Has there ever been an offseason crazier than this one? There were so many huge deals that I can't even remember them all.

This one has more drama, but last year's, along side "The Decision" year is probably more impactful.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

aside: by gaining the Nets 2018 pick, this will be Cleveland's fifth lottery pick of the decade, and probably their fourth number one overall. They've been to the Finals three years in a row and won a title in between those lean years, lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Last offseason and The Decision come to mind butthey were crazy in different ways than this one.

e:

Dexo posted:

This one has more drama, but last year's, along side "The Decision" year is probably more impactful.

Yeah the drama of the Irving trade request, Gilbert firing the GM without consulting LeBron like he's trying to get LeBron to leave, and two stars being traded for peanuts all are hilarious but really none of them change the almost inevitable Warriors-Cavs re-re-rematch

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 23, 2017

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah the drama of the Irving trade request, Gilbert firing the GM without consulting LeBron like he's trying to get LeBron to leave, and two stars being traded for peanuts all are hilarious but really none of them change the almost inevitable Warriors-Cavs re-re-rematch

Rockets bitch

(That felt so weird to type)

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
7 all nba lvl players moved this year.

Durant last year made GSW's chances from very likely, to definitely, not that impactful really to me.

The decision blew up the NBA world with hate and rage.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Nice, something actually happened. Good haul for the Cavs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Femur posted:

Lack of scoring isn't his issue.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Femur posted:

I feel like he's not gonna score 30 on that celtics team unless he shoots Steph amounts of 3's. He _should_ be able to fit in well if they teach him how to pass. I think there may be a fit of a learning curve. Kyrie seems like the type of dude that has to be given reads to pass well. He's not one of those instinctual dudes that just magically knows who is open.

IT it gonna wreck Cleveland's defense even more. Crowder better keep his 3PT% up or he's not gonna be playable against GSW.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lack of scoring isn't his issue.

It is, he could be going faster, if he doesn't dance around gathering rhythm, if can get rid of his focus on beating the dude in front of him, his offensive game will open up.

Ain't nothing gonna fix his effort on the defensive side, so he's gotta score more to make up for it.

I mean did you see that game 3 play where he couldn't execute a 2 for 1 situation? He can't resist. Even the Cavs downturn last year, he worried about his scoring, don't bother to fight it, just show him how he can score better.

Femur fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 23, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Spite posted:

IT it gonna wreck Cleveland's defense even more. Crowder better keep his 3PT% up or he's not gonna be playable against GSW.

Wut. Offense doesn't matter in terms of playability vs GSW.

Unplayable people against GSW are mostly bigs who can't guard pick and roll.

Crowder is extremely playable against GSW

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/GrantGoldberg/status/900134860521525248

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I love that it's all the predictable posters that think Kyrie is better than Isaiah Thomas

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
He is better but I'm not sure he is worth everything they gave up in the long run.

For Cleveland though, you have to ask yourself if Lebron is willing to wait a couple years for that 2018 pick to develop. Lebron is great now but if Thomas struggles and the Cavs don't make the finals, Lebron might jet to form another super team elsewhere. Losing Kyrie hurts them for the immediate future.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

LeBron will be leaving for the 76ers next year to trust in the process so waiting for the pick to pan out is a bit of a moot point

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Juaguocio posted:

Imagine if Derrick Rose was Back too.

I don't have to imagine. MVP

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

gently caress off

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Carlosologist posted:

aside: by gaining the Nets 2018 pick, this will be Cleveland's fifth lottery pick of the decade, and probably their fourth number one overall. They've been to the Finals three years in a row and won a title in between those lean years, lol

Even if the Nets are the worst team in the league it's only a 25% chance of #1

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

paternity suitor posted:

It will be #1 if Lebron wants it to be #1.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Slowpoke! posted:

He is better but I'm not sure he is worth everything they gave up in the long run.

For Cleveland though, you have to ask yourself if Lebron is willing to wait a couple years for that 2018 pick to develop. Lebron is great now but if Thomas struggles and the Cavs don't make the finals, Lebron might jet to form another super team elsewhere. Losing Kyrie hurts them for the immediate future.

All indications are that LeBron is leaving no matter what, so this is pretty much irrelevant. And even in the unlikely event that they can convince him to stay, that pick (and Crowder, that matter) is a great trade asset.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Actually I think the biggest consideration in all of this is that both teams had circumstances that don't show up on paper. Kyrie wanted out of Cleveland, and in theory that should have hurt his trade value. Thomas was going into his last year and wanted a max extension, and Boston probably wasn't keen on that even before the injury. Both teams gained by unloading their PG now while they still had positive trade value.

It's just a bit wonky because of all people they traded with each other, the only two teams that will likely contend in the East.

paternity suitor posted:

It's way too early but most people are saying 2018 draft will be comparable to 2003 in terms of depth at the top. Now that Bagley has jumped into the 2018 draft there could be three guys worthy of the top pick.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

so not only did Boston give them the Nets pick and Crowder in addition to Thomas, they also helped Cleveland create a $5.8m exception to use.

• Locked thread