Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ron Jeremy posted:

Grey is just assuming USN ships will collide with merchantmen in the strait.

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

It's not unreasonable to model the surrendering defenders spiking their guns.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

gohuskies posted:

Is it unreasonable to think that after controlling the city for over a year that they couldn't manages to scrounge up some kind of defence?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ikasuhito posted:

Is it unreasonable to think that after controlling the city for over a year that they couldn't manages to scrounge up some kind of defence?

Grey simply sinks all his ships before they can take the guns off of them for such installations :eng101:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ikasuhito posted:

Grey has the requisition on his desk. It's near where the one for replenishing fighter pools was.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

gohuskies posted:

Sure, the Changi battery was completely destroyed by the Commonwealth forces, but it's not very hard to get the ubiquitous, somewhat obsolete Type 45 203/41 emplaced at the key points, which the Japanese did at Tarawa and Wake Island. Those will gently caress up a CLAA good.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

All the naval defense batteries went to Rabaul, all the ammunition went to Singapore.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Turns out the big guns were assigned to the air Force and nobody thought to look. Meanwhile an army unit in Mongolia is sitting on a stockpile of torpedoes

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Grumio posted:

Meanwhile an army unit in Mongolia is sitting on a stockpile of torpedoes

They'll make for great improvised anti-tank weapons when August Storm rolls around.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's also the story of Dudley "Mush" Morton's order to machine-gun survivors in the water from a Japanese troop-ship that his submarine had sunk.

While it is certain that the Wahoo fired at the survivors of the sunken Buyo Maru, the exact circumstances are in doubt.

Morton's exec, who is the one who actually gave the order (although Morton bears final responsibility in anything that happened aboard his boat), claimed that the survivors were trying to set up weapons to fire on the submarine, and that the brief fire was merely intended to force temporary abandonment of the boats (which would prevent the floating survivors from a stable firing platform) until the sub was away. Accounts from the survivors, many of whom were not Japanese troops but Indian POWs, state that no resistance was being attempted, but several of the Japanese returned fire with handguns after Wahoo started shooting.

The fact that there was a very high number of survivors from the Buyo Maru (only about 20% of the people on board were killed, including those lost in the initial torpedo impacts - given the way the Japanese tended to pack POWs in, those impacts were probably enough to kill most of the prisoners who died in this incident) tends to support Morton's account (as a deliberate massacre could easily kill a great many people in those circumstances), while the fact that most of these were POWs weighs heavily against it. It is entirely possible that both were telling the entire truth as they saw the incident, but it is also just as possible that the incident was a brief surge of bloodlust or redlining that they tried to cover up later. As Wahoo was lost with all hands 8 months later, there are few eyewitness accounts of the American side of the incident, so it is very difficult to determine what happened on the boat itself.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

22 August 1943

German torpedo boat TA.12 (ex-French Baliste), sunk off Rhodes by air attack.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Nothing at all happens in the morning, so this is an afternoon attack.

Another damaged airframe is blown up.

This is heavy losses for an out of the way base.

More mysterious kills.

One confirmed kill.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sure, the Changi battery was completely destroyed by the Commonwealth forces, but it's not very hard to get the ubiquitous, somewhat obsolete Type 45 203/41 emplaced at the key points, which the Japanese did at Tarawa and Wake Island. Those will gently caress up a CLAA good.

It's GH's business where he places his coastal defense gunnery units, not the fault of game mechanics.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

gohuskies posted:

It's GH's business where he places his coastal defense gunnery units, not the fault of game mechanics.

Most are static, meant to indicate permanent forts. The Japanese only get a tiny handful of mobile base forces with dual purpose or CD guns, and even those with just a tiny handful of 80, 120 or 140mm guns. I think there's one or two mobile units with 200mm CD guns? Is the wake island battery mobile or static? Tarawas is static I think?

Using any of the mobile units at Singers doesn't make much sense tbh, Rabaul and Luganville are the obvious candidates where they'd do the most good.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I have spent the last two weeks reading from start of the LP to current - great read. Also, I think my first little one must be about the same age as your first little one.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I have spent the last two weeks reading from start of the LP to current - great read. Also, I think my first little one must be about the same age as your first little one.

ONE ONLY OH GOD NO MORE.

He's coming up on 17 months and learning many new worlds - Started with Kitty (not counting Ma Ma Ma and Da Da Da) and is now working his way though the various foods.

He's also doing his rehearsals for the terrible twos.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 23, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The next words will be "battleship", "carrier", "sunk", and "shank". And "clunk", can't forget clunk.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mikl posted:

The next words will be "battleship", "carrier", "sunk", and "shank". And "clunk", can't forget clunk.

And "stratigic".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Palladium posted:

And "stratigic".

"Defiantly"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Kitty as in "Kitty Hawk", right?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

ONE ONLY OH GOD NO MORE.

He's also doing his rehearsals for the terrible twos.

They're all different. Having more than one let's them direct their energy at each other instead of as well as at you.

As for the tantrums, maybe just give him the divisional command in China he wants?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mikl posted:

I'm guessing his first book will be Betty and Kate go to Eniwetok. Or possibly Nate and the mystery of Tokyo Bay Fortress.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Mine is a actually a little bit older so can tell you terrible twos ain't so bad - more interesting than the crying, eating, making GBS threads machines they are as newborns.

Can I have USS Aaron Ward (DM-34) as my lucky ship? I kind of want to root for a Japanese ship to support the underdog but the book (Brave Ship, Brave Men) this ship was about got me right into the Pacific theater as a youngster.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Mine is a actually a little bit older so can tell you terrible twos ain't so bad - more interesting than the crying, eating, making GBS threads machines they are as newborns.

Can I have USS Aaron Ward (DM-34) as my lucky ship? I kind of want to root for a Japanese ship to support the underdog but the book (Brave Ship, Brave Men) this ship was about got me right into the Pacific theater as a youngster.

Done.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

I'm guessing his first book will be Betty and Kate go to Eniwetok.

There are things to which small children should never be exposed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

They're all different. Having more than one let's them direct their energy at each other instead of as well as at you.

As for the tantrums, maybe just give him the divisional command in China he wants?

Bugger that. Hes starting at a Company commander and working his way up - there is no Nepotism in this mans army!

He just needs to get off his rear end and toddle over to that hill and take it, then I can get him promoted to Major at Battalion, and its plain sailing from there.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Mikl posted:

More like

GH: say "bombard"
Kid: shock!
GH: no, "bombard"

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Comrade Koba posted:

I'm guessing his first book will be Betty and Kate go to Eniwetok. Or possibly Nate and the mystery of Tokyo Bay Fortress.

The real problem is when he grows up to quietly shut himself in the room with "Betties Go Down on Prince of Wales."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Reuben Sandwich posted:

More like

Oh my, this post.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
WHERE IS CLEAN DIAPERS RR THE WORLD WONDERS

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Reuben Sandwich posted:

More like

Oh my god. That's perfect.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Reuben Sandwich posted:

More like

:discourse:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully Grey's toilet training program is better than his pilot's.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

So is your kid army, navy or air force?
Maybe strategic?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Reuben Sandwich posted:

More like

:vince:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Reuben Sandwich posted:

More like

lmao

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Sometimes this forum produces such wonderful jokes that are both totally insular and have required literally years of set-up time.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hopefully Grey's toilet training program is better than his pilot's.

POOP SPOTTED AT 4NM, ESTIMATED ALTITUDE 20,000 FEET.

*clunk*

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

POOP SPOTTED AT 4NM, ESTIMATED ALTITUDE 20,000 FEET.

*clunk*

The baby's constipated again dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Reuben Sandwich posted:

More like

Valiantman posted:

Sometimes this forum produces such wonderful jokes that are both totally insular and have required literally years of set-up time.

:discourse: