Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
How did bundy dudes avoid conviction once again? Was it more arrogance on the prosecutor's part, like the wilderness refuge trial last year, are they bad at selecting juries, or what? I'm just trying to picture what would happen if I as a brown dude took a good prone firing position and pointed my 308 at some cops/federal employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Untagged posted:

That's a "Pepper Ball", not a rubber bullet.

Which can still gently caress you up if it hits the wrong spot.

Don't get me wrong, there's a certain humor to the scene
But this was a police officer taking a shot out of some sense of revenge (look at the line of them after, they were under no threat) and professionals should be better than that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Which can still gently caress you up if it hits the wrong spot.

Don't get me wrong, there's a certain humor to the scene
But this was a police officer taking a shot out of some sense of revenge (look at the line of them after, they were under no threat) and professionals should be better than that.

The protestors had heart but Pepper ball in the groin had pepper ball in the groin.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FastestGunAlive posted:

How did bundy dudes avoid conviction once again? Was it more arrogance on the prosecutor's part, like the wilderness refuge trial last year, are they bad at selecting juries, or what?

Sovcits figured out actual magic words for legal defense: "jury nullification".

FastestGunAlive posted:

I'm just trying to picture what would happen if I as a brown dude took a good prone firing position and pointed my 308 at some cops/federal employees.

Better hope you live up to that name. And real talk, it's going to end with feds taking up harder lines with killing people, so goodbye de-escalation and negotiation.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I assume the police had face masks if they were deploying tear gas. If that's the case, a lightly kicked can of tear gas poses pretty much zero threat to them. How is it an appropriate response to risk seriously injuring the dude over it? Aren't police supposed to deescalate situations?

He kicked it towards the police then sat there watching. Get owned scrub hahhaa

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I assume the police had face masks if they were deploying tear gas. If that's the case, a lightly kicked can of tear gas poses pretty much zero threat to them. How is it an appropriate response to risk seriously injuring the dude over it? Aren't police supposed to deescalate situations?

somebody hasn't been paying attention at all for the last ~250 years

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Wasabi the J posted:

Sovcits figured out actual magic words for legal defense: "jury nullification".

Better hope you live up to that name. And real talk, it's going to end with feds taking up harder lines with killing people, so goodbye de-escalation and negotiation.

Oh I'd be dead real quick. Mean while white dudes who belong to militias that believe the federal government is out to get them, get softball trials years after the fact

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
It's kind of interesting that there's now groups on the left who figured out that getting strapped for protests is a good idea if you don't want to get messed with.

Interesting in the "may you live in interesting times" way.

Meanwhile, in Finland:

So, the Moroccan dude who stabbed eight people and killed two victims, turns out that the Security Intelligence Service knew about him. They had a report from January which among other things, told them that the dude wanted to join ISIS, had been a drug dealer in Italy, probably was a drug dealer here too and was bragging about having killed a dude in Morocco. They did absolutely nothing about it.

Which is a pattern emerging from all spree killings (and attempts) that have been taking place in the last few years.

Dude who ran over a bunch of people? Had made threats against people before the fact, was bragging beforehand how he's not gonna break for pedestrians now more, all of this was reported to the police. Had a fairly extensive criminal record too.

Spree killer who shot three women at random outside a bar? People had filed reports to the police about him being crazy and owning a bunch of guns.

Guy who shot at cops from a rooftop with a rifle, severely injured one? Same thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My favorite response to "THOSE ANTIFA COVER THEIR FACES LIKE ISIS" is this:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

It's kind of interesting that there's now groups on the left who figured out that getting strapped for protests is a good idea if you don't want to get messed with.

Interesting in the "may you live in interesting times" way.

Meanwhile, in Finland:

So, the Moroccan dude who stabbed eight people and killed two victims, turns out that the Security Intelligence Service knew about him. They had a report from January which among other things, told them that the dude wanted to join ISIS, had been a drug dealer in Italy, probably was a drug dealer here too and was bragging about having killed a dude in Morocco. They did absolutely nothing about it.

Which is a pattern emerging from all spree killings (and attempts) that have been taking place in the last few years.

Dude who ran over a bunch of people? Had made threats against people before the fact, was bragging beforehand how he's not gonna break for pedestrians now more, all of this was reported to the police. Had a fairly extensive criminal record too.

Spree killer who shot three women at random outside a bar? People had filed reports to the police about him being crazy and owning a bunch of guns.

Guy who shot at cops from a rooftop with a rifle, severely injured one? Same thing.

Innocent until proven guilty. Not sure where the line is between holy poo poo serious intent -> Action.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

My favorite response to "THOSE ANTIFA COVER THEIR FACES LIKE ISIS" is this:

https://youtu.be/qQ_9Lx4ffKg

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The best argument I heard in defense of antifa is that fascism exploits a flaw in liberalism, since fascists want to use free speech to gain enough power to destroy it before going full Terminator on everyone. So under a liberal framework, you're caught in a trap of allowing fascists and neo-Nazis to use free speech to destroy you, or you destroy their free speech to protect yours.

Antifa types, who are mostly anarchists, don't buy that framework and they see fascism as a threat to humanity which must be stomped out immediately. They also don't believe that stomping them makes the fascists stronger, the idea behind it being to make it costly for neo-Nazis to organize openly. If they want to have a big rally, then antifa will make sure it doesn't happen without chaos breaking out and a state of emergency being declared, like throwing a monkeywrench into the machinery of a would-be totalitarian state before it gets its engine revved up. Fascism is all about well-ordered rituals and intimidating displays of power, and what antifa does is more akin to sabotage.

And predictably enough, these neo-Nazi groups tend to collapse into infighting once that happens.

This actually happened in Australia - a bunch of islamaphobic/Neo Nazi groups sprang up and tried to form 'the Australian Patriot Movement', due to Tony Abbott (former PM) playing from the same book Trump is playing from now. He blew the dogwhistle, they came running.

The counter protests were bigger than their rallys. Their Facebook groups were trolled, their talking heads doxed (and photographed eating Lebanese food), and eventually the entire movement shattered before it could ever become a credible threat. Yes, nationalists still exist here, but we denied them the ability to organise. ASIO, Fed and state police did nothing to help; just hard working agitators.

Now if only we could do something about the nationalist scum in government...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you want to know about the right wing news bubble, just use the iPhone's news app. It's like this every single day.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 23, 2017

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Waroduce posted:

Innocent until proven guilty. Not sure where the line is between holy poo poo serious intent -> Action.

When it comes to gun stuff, the cops can confiscate your guns basically at will here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Well yea, that's their whole thing right? They aren't there to talk things out or have a reasoned discussion. Violent resistance is the reason they exist.

Less violent resistance, more violence.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/12News/status/900233025543450624

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
He just can't stop, can he?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-23/trump-threatens-government-shutdown-to-secure-border-wall-funds

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Did somebody fart in a beer bottle?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LingcodKilla posted:

Did somebody fart in a beer bottle?

In theory couldn't you make some sort of chemical irritants with home or industrial cleaning materials? I'm not saying that happened, but isn't it at least theoretically possible? Didn't that happen with home made chlorine bomb attacks that occurred in Iraq.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

MazelTovCocktail posted:

In theory couldn't you make some sort of chemical irritants with home or industrial cleaning materials? I'm not saying that happened, but isn't it at least theoretically possible? Didn't that happen with home made chlorine bomb attacks that occurred in Iraq.

username/post combo

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Bleach+ammonia will generate toxic chloramine. You can generate chlorine gas by mixing potassium permanganate (available in pool supply stores and Amazon) with hydrochloric acid (I think bleach+hydrochloric acid would work too), but actually deploying it would be a bit of a trick. I guess you could just leave your gas generator somewhere or fill balloons since chlorine gas is much heavier than air.

edit: there was an unsolved chlorine gas attack at a furry convention a few years ago.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

air humidifier, backpack, battery.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/900372694843117569

Be prepared to complain the day it happens and then forget about it the day after

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Be prepared to complain the day it happens and then forget about it the day after

Because something else dumb is going to happen?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

KildarX posted:

Because something else dumb is going to happen?

Trump announces the elimination of press conferences & bans permanent residents from the military. Everyone craps their pants and ignores Arpiao.

Hey, I can predict Trumps actions! Quick, someone hire me as a media commentator on CNN, then give me my own show on MSNBC!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Still means he's guilty just no time?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Still means he's guilty just no time?

Yup. Joe has to admit he broke the law.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

tastefully arranged labia posted:

A reasonable punishment for gross violations of human rights.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
goddamn

https://twitter.com/RyanLizza/status/900390047605764096

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Still guilty, but wouldn't have to admit it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

I am My Parexache?

Oh, impeach! He's spelling impeach! :thejoke:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sex cauldron?!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LordNad posted:

A reasonable punishment for gross violations of human rights.
I'd love to lock the piece of poo poo up for the rest of his life but Donnie threw a wrench into the works. So an admission of wrongdoing is the best we're going to get. At least you get the satisfaction of knowing he's miserable now that he can't call himself America's Toughest Sheriff. Like Donnie he absolutely can't stand it when he's not the center of attention.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shyduck posted:

Sex cauldron?!

Sex cauldron? I thought they closed that place down?

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd love to lock the piece of poo poo up for the rest of his life but Donnie threw a wrench into the works. So an admission of wrongdoing is the best we're going to get. At least you get the satisfaction of knowing he's miserable now that he can't call himself America's Toughest Sheriff. Like Donnie he absolutely can't stand it when he's not the center of attention.

We shouldn't have to settle for knowing he's unhappy. This egregious piece of poo poo belongs in prison for a very long time. I don't want the satisfaction of knowing he's a sad free man.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LordNad posted:

We shouldn't have to settle for knowing he's unhappy. This egregious piece of poo poo belongs in prison for a very long time. I don't want the satisfaction of knowing he's a sad free man.
I know. But he'll die soon, and he'll be very sad until then.

Also he wouldn't survive in prison for "a very long time". Fatty wouldn't last a year.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

For his own safety, we would have to keep him in continuous solitary confinement.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Can Arpaio own guns still?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Can Arpaio own guns still?

It was "just" a misdemeanor. So maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon