Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The idea of Iron Fist being the most-watched Marvel Netflix show so far is so, so weird to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
No Halt and Catch Fire thread?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

The Man with the Iron Fists was very not good.

I don't know, Byron Mann was pretty great in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I don't know if it's big enough for that, but I would definitely post in one if someone made it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

The idea of Iron Fist being the most-watched Marvel Netflix show so far is so, so weird to me.

Punisher is going dwarf all of them when it comes out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wormil posted:

I'll make one if I can come up with a funny thread title

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Escobarbarian posted:

I have a feeling there is some Netflix fuckery going on though. My parents called like a week ago and asked if they would like Iron Fist, because it came up recommended for them. They watch a ton of political and legal dramas, and it was probably that which made it get suggested to them since a big part of Iron Fist is the corporate espionage. When I told them it was about a kung fu guy with a magic fist and he was going to be in a team up with Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage, they said they had no idea it was a comic book thing.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I was gonna say something like that too, I feel like I saw way more promotion from Netflix for iron fist than any of the others. Heck I don't think they even let me know Luke cage was coming out until it showed up as watchable

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wormil posted:

There used to be one but I'm guessing most goons are like me: took a break in s1 and will go back at some indeterminate time.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I mean, it's hard for me to say Netflix was lying outright about Iron Fist's numbers, but considering how thoroughly panned the show was, they needed SOME excuse to renew it.

Also, they can cover it up with "He's busy working on Inhumans" all they want, but I guarantee you, Scott Buck was shitcanned for the poor critical response. If he wasn't, they'd be promoting from within like Marco Ramirez and Doug Petrie were on Daredevil. Not that "guy who wrote for Sleepy Hollow, Heroes Reborn, and Falling Skies" should fill you with any great hope for a comeback, but Marvel and Netflix know what the gently caress's up.

Even more reckless speculation: The only reason why Buck is still employed on Inhumans is that they don't need it to look like any more of a landfill fire than it already does.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The best part of the Defenders is how much everyone shits on Danny Rand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Iron Fist is like Star Trek Voyager. Critics and genre fans pan it, but ask some random person online which show they liked best and they'll say Iron Fist.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

Iron Fist is like Star Trek Voyager. Critics and genre fans pan it, but ask some random person online which show they liked best and they'll say Iron Fist.

You're not wrong. It's my 12 year old nephews favorite show.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

GreenNight posted:

The best part of the Defenders is how much everyone shits on Danny Rand.

That's the second best, the best is how they poo poo on his mystical kung fu bullshit and at the end of the season they have to defend a dragon corpse that is holding up New York and never even know it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

I mean, it's hard for me to say Netflix was lying outright about Iron Fist's numbers, but considering how thoroughly panned the show was, they needed SOME excuse to renew it.

Also, they can cover it up with "He's busy working on Inhumans" all they want, but I guarantee you, Scott Buck was shitcanned for the poor critical response. If he wasn't, they'd be promoting from within like Marco Ramirez and Doug Petrie were on Daredevil. Not that "guy who wrote for Sleepy Hollow, Heroes Reborn, and Falling Skies" should fill you with any great hope for a comeback, but Marvel and Netflix know what the gently caress's up.

Even more reckless speculation: The only reason why Buck is still employed on Inhumans is that they don't need it to look like any more of a landfill fire than it already does.

Unless they are also lying that their Sandler movies are their most watched properties, I'll believe anything about the American viewing public. Just because critics thought IF sucked (full disclosure I haven't seen it) doesn't mean people didn't like it. I remember even around here a lot of people saying it wasn't as bad as the reviews said, which you wouldn't expect.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I didnt think it was terrible. Not great, but I enjoyed it. It had its fun moments.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm gonna say it I didn't really like the Defenders that much and I am a Marvel zombie folks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been strangely indifferent to Iron Fist, haven't even watched episode 1.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GreenNight posted:

You're not wrong. It's my 12 year old nephews favorite show.

Could be worse, at least it's not Voyager.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Escobarbarian posted:

Well don't look up how well Adam Sandler movies do on Netflix, or your head will explode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Could be worse, at least it's not Voyager.

Voyager is the 4th best star trek show.

Also Tuvok is the best Vulcan character in Star Trek.

Iron Fist doesn't have a single good thing about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How is Tuvok any different from any other Vulcan? At least T'Pol likes jazz music and her Vulcan AIDS makes her interesting.

Now Tuvix I can get behind.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

swickles posted:

they said they had no idea it was a comic book thing.

It has the Marvel logo right above the title.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

How is Tuvok any different from any other Vulcan? At least T'Pol likes jazz music and her Vulcan AIDS makes her interesting.

Now Tuvix I can get behind.

Tuvok is character who portrays living the Vulcan lifestyle as a practice. Not something he did and then he is that way now, or something he is lying to himself about being, but something that is a constant struggle to maintain a chosen countenance and mindset. His character reflects the way that real-life monks practice meditation and continually try to address and improve their flaws. Often in Star Trek, you have flaws in Vulcan logic pointed out by other characters. Tuvok is one of the only Vulcans who constantly works to address and examine his own flaws. Which are many.

Where TOS shows Vulcans as more or less innately logical beings, and ENT shows Vulcan intellectualism as a crumbling facade of bullshit, VOY portrays it as a a practice that must be maintained. Too bad about the rest of the show, though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

It makes me feel like an easily manipulated monkey but when we're watching something on the couch and someone starts smoking it always makes me want a cigarette, even though I quit cold turkey after 20 years of smoking non-filtered every day. My wife smokes those Camel Crush jobs and I have a few of those a day.

I feel really bad for people who get withdrawal symptoms from nicotine, I've had friends go insane trying to quit. If I don't smoke tobacco, I don't really even notice a physical craving.

I'm 3 months in to my No Vape holiday @ work. Helps I don't smoke weed with tobacco like the rest of this backwards country.

No cravings anymore, i think i'm cured.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

less laughter posted:

It has the Marvel logo right above the title.

It's called Iron Fist.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PriorMarcus posted:

It's called Iron Fist.

That, too. Though theoretically his folks could've taken that as a metaphor for Joy and Ward ruling the corporation with an iron fist, instead of one for someone who can punch really hard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

I'm 3 months in to my No Vape holiday @ work. Helps I don't smoke weed with tobacco like the rest of this backwards country.

No cravings anymore, i think i'm cured.

I've never understood countries where they smoke joints with tobacco. Nobody does that in America, literally nobody

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Makes it way less harsh

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No it doesn't, it makes it go further because getting good weed is rare in this country.

Thankfully the local crimelords are getting danker.

Edit: anyone with the munchies check the Agent's of SHIELD thread.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snak posted:

Voyager is the 4th best star trek show.

Also Tuvok is the best Vulcan character in Star Trek.

Iron Fist doesn't have a single good thing about it.

Every non "trekkie" person i've talked to in real life who kind of likes star trek likes voyager. Also everyone i've spoken to in real life about marvel netflix shows liked Iron fist.

IRQ posted:

After the movie I'm confident that firefly was good only because it didn't get the chance to get bad.

Also late to whedon chat but kudos to IRQ for entering his 12th year of posting whenever he gets the chance about how much he dislikes the well received and good film Joss Whedon's Serenity. I think the internet gets it by now man

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 23, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wandle Cax posted:

Also late to whedon chat but kudos to IRQ for entering his 12th year of posting whenever he gets the chance about how much he dislikes the well received and good film Joss Whedon's Serenity. I think the internet gets it by now man

Thanks man, I am for consistency in my terrible posting, I'm deeply pleased that it is appreciated.

raditts posted:

Well don't look up how well Adam Sandler movies do on Netflix, or your head will explode.

I'd genuinely like to see what actually gets viewed the most on netflix after high profile lowest common denominator stuff like this. The top 20 would be really illuminating. We'll never see it though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Marvel Netflix shows depress me, because it was such a good opportunity for more good serialized fantastical martial arts action. Outside of Kung-Fu, have their been any other good martial arts-based TV shows?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Serenity more than Firefly tbh

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

The Marvel Netflix shows depress me, because it was such a good opportunity for more good serialized fantastical martial arts action. Outside of Kung-Fu, have their been any other good martial arts-based TV shows?

Into The Badlands?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

He asked if there had been any good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ahahaha, I mean sure it was forgettable but someone was bound to notice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I like Serenity more than Firefly tbh

Firefly is low-rent nonsense barely discernible from Earth 2 or Earth: Final Conflict in quality. Serenity was quite fun.

MiddleOne posted:

He asked if there had been any good

Yeah, Into the Badlands is awful, much worse than Daredevil. I'd be totally open to any Asian shows as well if those are known around these parts, that's a huge blindspot in my knowledge.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 23, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

feedmyleg posted:

Firefly is low-rent nonsense barely discernible from Earth 2 or Earth: Final Conflict in quality.

Shut your filthy mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That seems like an opinion someone who actually liked Serenity would have. Checks out.

• Locked thread