Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Codezombie posted:

Honestly, if someone stopped computing gravity above an arbitrary altitude in something that purported to be a sim, then they really would need slapping...

That is exactly what they have said they will do, and it also makes a lot of sense from a game standpoint (this is not a simulation) in a universe where ships have anti-gravity tech etc.

And they are not even doing that in the demo (because they would need more than one cryengine level, they would need to change the instance, and they can't because this is a smoke and mirrors demo, not a working 15m slice of the actual 3.0 alpha).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

big nipples big life posted:

You have literally said the same thing for over 2 years.

rear end.

Derek, in the future, when buying avatars like this, please don't buy avatars that everyone is disgusted to look at. Buy poo poo that mocks them, makes a joke, is embarrassing, or that they'll constantly have to explain in any other thread they post in, whatever, but please don't make all of us look at monkey asses.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

XK posted:

Derek, in the future, when buying avatars like this, please don't buy avatars that everyone is disgusted to look at. Buy poo poo that mocks them, makes a joke, is embarrassing, or that they'll constantly have to explain in any other thread they post in, whatever, but please don't make all of us look at monkey asses.

Whaddaya mean monkey rear end? That's cute, giant mole looking forward to the 3.0 release....

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

OK, good suggestion.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Just a reminder that

there still ain't no 3.0, just a Crytek level.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

baboons aren't disgusting imo that is p harsh but it's funny af that derek thinks their butts are peak comedy

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/900367734369689602

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Percelus posted:

baboons aren't disgusting imo that is p harsh but it's funny af that derek thinks their butts are peak comedy

He's trying to punish us, not be funny.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

ewe2 posted:

Just a reminder that

there still ain't no 3.0, just a Crytek level.

Thanks for your awesome songs? Do you have a place where all your songs are?

e: lol. found it http://tindeck.com/users/ewe2

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MagellanicCorp/status/900356341868273665

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

XK posted:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's already over? But I have to be at work for another 7 hours.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

D_Smart posted:

OK, good suggestion.

Cringing in anticipation for my, "Ask me about my 10 dozen fleshlights I store in my parents' basement for review purposes" avatar.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dante80 posted:

I still cannot get over the fact that they forgot to put space in the space demo. The guy fell like a rock from orbit, while frantically trying to swim.

IT'S PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT ONLY THE SPCACESHIPTS ARE IMMUNE TO GRAVITY YOU STUPID FUDSTER, STAR MARINES NEED GRAVITY TO ACT ON THEM SO THEY CAN VAULT OVER STUFF WHILE SHOOTING

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Nah, dont do this. A few rounds of avatar wars and it will be getting really rare.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Cringing in anticipation for my, "Ask me about my 10 dozen fleshlights I store in my parents' basement for review purposes" avatar.

If he does buy you an avatar, expect it to be unfunny, incomprehensible, and be related to him somehow.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It will be funny but not in the way he intended

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016
Lol reddit doesnt know what to think

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I enjoyed that the escape velocity of a planet with roughly 1G is only 40m/s.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

crisp roberts posted:

Reddit is obviously whelmed.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Dante80 posted:

That is exactly what they have said they will do, and it also makes a lot of sense from a game standpoint (this is not a simulation) in a universe where ships have anti-gravity tech etc.

And they are not even doing that in the demo (because they would need more than one cryengine level, they would need to change the instance, and they can't because this is a smoke and mirrors demo, not a working 15m slice of the actual 3.0 alpha).

They have actually said they are turning off planetary gravity when ships are in space? Seriously?
Dear God this project gets worse and worse...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
65 days until Citizen Con.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AP posted:

65 days until Citizen Con.

How many hours of sleep will CIG staff get in those 65 days?

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Can Star Citizen just be over? Can all of this just end? I'm starting to doubt it can even deliver a satisfying failure. I can't follow this nothing-show if we're talking a Duke Nukem Forever timeline.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

crisp roberts posted:

They're certainly happy about new ships and QR codes. I think that's very telling.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Michaellaneous posted:

I enjoyed that the escape velocity of a planet with roughly 1G is only 40m/s.

The ships have no mass, so it sounds alright.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

ewe2 posted:

They're certainly happy about new ships and QR codes. I think that's very telling.

There is barely anyone on the reddit right now, that should tell you enough.
Also, look at all the fake accounts who starting thread like " CIG TAKE MY MONEY " or CIG PLEASE PUT A SALE ON THE BLUE VARIANT etc etc.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Don't forget, the E.L.E is an on-going event. This is only another stage. Trust me, it's going to get a whole lot worse. I can't say much more than that.

<--- Oh, we're back with the Avatar poo poo again, are we? Great! Let's go!

Every day, we are each one more day closer to death. We are all an ongoing ELE.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

They'll probably make 7th Fleet Destroyer crews look well rested (I am not in the military don't @ me)

Actually, that could explain a lot. The devs are hallucinating so much it causes all kinds of confusion as to what's in the game already.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Polish Avenger posted:

They'll probably make 7th Fleet Destroyer crews look well rested (I am not in the military don't @ me)

Actually, that could explain a lot. The devs are hallucinating so much it causes all kinds of confusion as to what's in the game already.

Yep, there is a point where you have crunched for so long, you are doing nearly as much damage to the build as your are fixing, and because you are tired, and not thing straight / rushed for time half your fixes are really hacks, that cause other problems further down the line. Crunch is a very bad thing, both for the coders and the project, and any company that thinks its good, its a company to be avoided.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

"I've been having sleepless nights about Citizencon for over 8 weeks."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRsF6_lwLas&t=528s

He's got 2 - 8 days left.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Polish Avenger posted:

Can Star Citizen just be over? Can all of this just end? I'm starting to doubt it can even deliver a satisfying failure. I can't follow this nothing-show if we're talking a Duke Nukem Forever timeline.

There are a lot of rumours, some completely crazy poo poo, that the thread has never discussed because it's impossible to provide any proof. Over time I've seen some turn out to be true and have strong suspicions that many others will too. Once CIG closes a lot more should come out about what has really been happening, just like the real stories about 38 Studios came out after it closed.

Most of the Citizens don't get it yet but after that stream today it's hard to believe all this can continue through all of 2018. I shall enjoy Citizen Con, I fear it's our last.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
What the gently caress was any of this poo poo? What have they been doing for a year?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Toops posted:

Balsa Wood Physics might be my favorite. It's more subtle, but watching that ship translate gives me cockroach-skittering-across-floor-level creeps.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RockyStrongWaffleLitFam

Flying rover clipping into mountain - https://clips.twitch.tv/SweetSneakyHawkDansGame
Balsa Wood Physics - https://clips.twitch.tv/RockyStrongWaffleLitFam

They use the exact same joke in both clips. "I must go, my people need me."

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6vhqz7/a_pilots_dream/dm0h5tm/

The main reason I'm excited about Star Citizen is Star Wars....

Ok.

IcarusUpHigh fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 23, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sillybones posted:

What the gently caress was any of this poo poo? What have they been doing for a year?

Dreaming.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

G0RF posted:

Well I think that was what I was stating. But just think what we'd have heard if Chris were being asked those same questions. He'd have been answering every one with absolute bullcrap. So while it should be alarming to people to get a lot of "I don't knows" on stuff they should've known last year, it's still better than "absolutely, we definitely are going to have that in. DENSELY LUSH FORESTS WERE NOT A JOKE."

I'm watching/listening to it now so it may be more dumb than I'm envisioning, but Chris has kind of preemptively raised the bar in terms of "stupid things we're going to absolutely implement" years ago. Any sane game would have any people asking super dumb questions getting a response like "what the gently caress game do you think this is, gently caress no"

but it's already too late for that.

I should be working so naturally I'm doing this instead.

"Now I do get a lot of design questions, and when those come in I always feel bad, like when they ask, you know, deep deep level design, I'm like you gotta talk to designers, you gotta talk to creatives on that, right?"

"We're not gonna do that."
"So about design--"

"I just gotta imagine these are gonna be the stupidest questions I've ever heard. But I'm all for it, let's do this."

"Alright, so, you wanna start this off?"

"Right, so, about design-- hahaha-- but no I mean like, so" and into a question about what they can expect to see in the future

THIS IS DUMB

lmao at this is the small portion of 3.0 that's stable

lmao at the streamer that hears "this is a small portion of 3.0 that's stable that we're happy with" and parses that as "the internal 3.0 build is entirely stable and everyone's happy with it internally"

he probably knows exactly what the "big" blockers are but he can't talk about them off the cuff, all of the bugs they publicly comment on are either already fixed or carefully curated so as not to publicly confirm stuff that people in this thread have already guessed at-- imagine if he's like "yeah the biggest blocker right now is dealing with the fact that we can't put more than 10 people in the same server without everything crashing", or if the real reason they're got everyone pigeonholed is that the server trying to handle everyone going off in different directions is that if they're in the same general area the server only has to handle objects in that shared area but 10 people going off in 10 random directions just instacrashes everything

and yeah the fact that the "big blocker" question spins off into talking about the QA process instead

lol at the dancing between "this 3.0 build is solid" and "this 3.0 build is too hosed to go out to people as-is"

"what's one of the bugs that you and your team handled that people are super amped to see"? what kind of dumbass question is that, people aren't amped to see individual bugfixes, they're amped to see features that work properly. what exactly does this streamer want him to say, "yeah we fixed this one specific bug of the 30 that involve people clipping through floors"?

"you work at one of the studios, what are your people responsible for in this build specifically?"
checks google
"Brian Chambers - Development Director" - "Foundry 42 (Engine and Technology Development"
The streamers should know this poo poo better than I do and again, what kind of dumbass question is that? Ostensibly this dude and his team are working on the buggy-rear end engine tech which means they're probably touching literally everything because literally everything is terrible right now, that ATV from last week talking about how people were sitting at tables fine and it's now broken is because they're loving with engine code on a week to week basis. They've probably got every person in the studio coming to them like "hey so last week you could place this drinking glass model on a table and it was fine and now when you do it it bounces through the ceiling, P1 blocker fix please"

"I can tell you what we don't touch" yeah that's probably the only real answer for this, although the fact that "we don't do ships" when they're doing engine code is probably why the ships physics and doors are perpetually hosed

"What are you most satisfied about what your team's done for 3.0" he's an engine developer, I know you're trying to sneak an answer about an unannounced feature or something but that isn't going to be what an engine developer is proud about, he's going to say "yeah the game itself is cool but this one aspect of this one bit of code in the physics engine is really elegantly set up and I'm super stoked about how modular and reusable this one aspect of it is, it took me a lot of work to set it up that way"

lmao at the big bennys thing but I can see what he's trying to say, he's proud of the procgen stuff he's working on and it's always fun as a game developer to set up a baseline and have people go hog wild with it (see: minecraft redstone and people making computers out of it) it's just a reiteration of everything of the crap state things are in that, 5 years later, literally the only thing people have to actually do anything with is...a vending machine. because that just happened to be the only physics-enabled object with a hitbox that there was to do anything with.

I see that "procedural generation" is still a magic term where citizens think you just say the proper incantation and get several planets worth of hand-crafted-but-procgenned content out of it

I've already spent too much time on this and haven't hit a "I don't know yet" but I assume the questions get progressively more dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
So main points of the stream

Build broken and fake
Chambers dont know poo poo
3.0 aiming for december
Trading card game literally confirmed

Jesus christ