Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

iajanus posted:

Ok never been a player of sonic games but holy gently caress, beating the stardust speedway loving stupid and boring boss and then get dropped into loving stupid underwater zone.

How did anyone play these games without committing murder.

For the record, the normal level zooming around is fun in an "interesting and relaxing even though half the level will bullshit kill you with no hint or explanation " kind of way. Not regretting my purchase.

It's okay, Sonic bosses in the genesis era were 90% trash as well and Sonic mania's are only a marginal improvement. They've always been unfun/boring/pathetic/bad bosses in what are otherwise fun games. As for the other thing, idk I never found those levels hard, so get good?

irlZaphod posted:

I have 589 unread posts in the SNES Classic thread since yesterday, I assume it's just Americans posting "I GOT ONE" or "NINTENDO IS loving US AGAIN", c/d?

Exactly this yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nintendo @Gamescom will be streaming Mario Odyssey in about a half a hour.

Any chance of something new being shown?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I feel like I've seen enough at this point. Not as bad as Samus Return's though when I thought they were just gonna play through the whole game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here's the steam if interested.

https://youtu.be/ZzTSa0P58eY

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/900342910431895553

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

iajanus posted:

Ok never been a player of sonic games but holy gently caress, beating the stardust speedway loving stupid and boring boss and then get dropped into loving stupid underwater zone.

Hydrocity Zone owns, and you can spend 90% of the stage not underwater, so it's hardly the most unreasonable thing you'll come across. The bosses are fantastic too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Takoluka posted:

Hydrocity Zone owns, and you can spend 90% of the stage not underwater, so it's hardly the most unreasonable thing you'll come across. The bosses are fantastic too.

The boss fight in hydrocity whwre you’re the one flying the ship owns

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

wuggles posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me Shovel Knight was gonna make me feel stuff?!

dont play undertale or you're gonna cry

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Agreed. You would cry for wasting your time on a bad game.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
FIFA 18 gameplay on Switch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODEp8ZRF7y8

It looks pretty good actually, I was expecting a lot worse.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'll play it if it has that Alex Hunter story mode

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'll play it if it has that Alex Hunter story mode

Sorry to say that it doesn't on Switch.

Speaking of Switch drawbacks, it came out a few days ago that the Switch version of WWE 2K18 won't have 8-player matches which is one of the biggest new features they're adding to the series. It's still stuck on 6 players max.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think I could tell you a good football game from a bad one. Like, are the graphics good? I don't know. It's a big Green Field and the players are so small it's not like they need to be insanely detailed in the first place. Is it technically accurate? I don't know I'm American.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I haven't played a football or hockey game since the NES

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Speaking of Switch drawbacks, it came out a few days ago that the Switch version of WWE 2K18 won't have 8-player matches which is one of the biggest new features they're adding to the series. It's still stuck on 6 players max.

Boo :(

Super Mario Strikers when

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think I could tell you a good football game from a bad one. Like, are the graphics good? I don't know. It's a big Green Field and the players are so small it's not like they need to be insanely detailed in the first place. Is it technically accurate? I don't know I'm American.

Generally it's down to incremental improvements in control. And if they can stop the players ragdolling into space when something they don't like happens.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Digital Foundry played a bit of Skyrim on Switch in portable mode and it appears to run at a stable 720p / 30fps. Not bad for Skyrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHb5ElEXYCA

It'll be interesting to learn how it performs while docked and what new and interesting bugs this version includes.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Norns posted:

I haven't played a football or hockey game since the NES

BLADES OF STEEL

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Policenaut posted:

those games are insanely bad anyway so pray that Fire Pro comes to Switch next year instead

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In NHL or something for Super Nintendo is you go to half court and do a certain kind of pass straight forward, it cannot be blocked and will always score a goal. That's why it is the best hockey game ever.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Von Linus posted:

Generally it's down to incremental improvements in control. And if they can stop the players ragdolling into space when something they don't like happens.
Also squad updates and being on the same version as everyone in your online team. :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DLC Inc posted:

those games are insanely bad anyway so pray that Fire Pro comes to Switch next year instead

I'm good with Fire Pro on PC, if the community creations aren't cross-platform there's no way I'm rebuilding and redownloading the hundreds of dudes I have downloaded and subscribed to on the Workshop by hand.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/900373638729285632

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Digital Foundry played a bit of Skyrim on Switch in portable mode and it appears to run at a stable 720p / 30fps. Not bad for Skyrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHb5ElEXYCA

It'll be interesting to learn how it performs while docked and what new and interesting bugs this version includes.

Why do they keep calling it the surprise of the show? It's a six year old game that had already been announced back in January.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Will be my third purchase of rocket league. I cannot waiiiit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Modus Pwnens posted:

Why do they keep calling it the surprise of the show? It's a six year old game that had already been announced back in January.

People are surprised that a janky-rear end piece of garbage software like Skyrim can maintain a stable frame rate on something

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Has this been confirmed to be fully cross-platform?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Thanks for the help on the questions folks :) One more question!!

So if I just decide gently caress it and just go all digital, how many Switch games could I probably fit on the system? I only have Sonic Mania on it right now. If I need more space is it as simple as just picking up a new SD card or what

edit: Oh yeah and if something were to happen to my Switch, which I don't see happening cause I treat like a living baby, would all my game purchases just be gone? I've never bought digital on Nintendo systems before beyond like DKC2 on the Wii, and Shovel Knight on the WiiU, but I've heard horror stories of people losing all their stuff if their systems gets broken or something

I am looking forward to the rabbids game. And I'm upset I typed that sentence.

The Bloop posted:

It will be! With PC and XBox One. PS4 is choosing to be a bunch of jerks and not participate.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 23, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yes the Switch has an expansion slot for an SDcard for additional storage. I think there is at least one game already out that is larger than the built-in storage but otherwise all the games seem to be of a reasonable size to fit maybe a dozen?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The Bloop posted:

The news out of E3 was that it'll work across PC, Xbox and Switch. Playstation decided not to allow cross-platform connectivity.

There's literally a checkbox on a webpage that someone at Psyonix could click and make Rocket League fully cross-platform but some business dicks at Sony said no.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh is this that thing where you need a Microsoft ID? I think I remember that now.

I have a few friends that play Rocket League but I never have and I'm thinking this might be my opportunity. It's good eh?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Oh is this that thing where you need a Microsoft ID? I think I remember that now.

No, that's Minecraft, which Sony is also not doing cross-platform even though everyone else is.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think there is at least one game already out that is larger than the built-in storage but otherwise all the games seem to be of a reasonable size to fit maybe a dozen?

Yeah, it was that Dragon Quest I & II combo which I don't think ever made it stateside? I can't recall.

I popped open my data management page to get some perspective on how far the internal memory would get you. I currently have 25.4 GB internal memory free and the only thing I'm storing internally is save data and the OS.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 6.8GB
Splatoon 2: 3.6GB
Puyo Puyo Tetris: 1.0 GB
Sonic Mania: 184 MB

These numbers are exactly in line with the required space listed on the eShop. Breath of the Wild is somewhere around 14 GB if I recall correctly. You could get a decent library going on the internal memory alone but I'm glad I had a 64GB MicroSD card lying around.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 23, 2017

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I appreciate Skyrim at 720 30fps in handheld mode but if it's not 1080 undocked I'll probably skip it. Not holding my breath for 60fps though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The Bloop posted:

I have a few friends that play Rocket League but I never have and I'm thinking this might be my opportunity. It's good eh?

It's super easy to learn but extremely difficult to master. It is incredibly exciting. I regularly jump off my butt if I think it will help me make a ridiculous save.

Get it. It's probably only going to cost $20. I've easily dumped $60 more on keys and cars. They deserve the support. Just wish I could link my accounts between Bone and Switch.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Here's the video trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StVALaMJVJM

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Rocket League is loads of fun, very difficult to get good at but still fun even if you're flailing ineffectually trying to touch the ball.

Macaluso posted:

Oh yeah and if something were to happen to my Switch, which I don't see happening cause I treat like a living baby, would all my game purchases just be gone?

All digital purchases are tied to your Nintendo Account and would be recoverable.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Update me when they make a Bowser car

Dr Cheeto posted:

All digital purchases are tied to your Nintendo Account and would be recoverable.

Cool cool

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, it was that Dragon Quest I & II combo which I don't think ever made it stateside? I can't recall.

I popped open my data management page to get some perspective on how far the internal memory would get you. I currently have 25.4 GB internal memory free and the only thing I'm storing internally is save data and the OS.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 6.8GB
Splatoon 2: 3.6GB
Puyo Puyo Tetris: 1.0 GB
Sonic Mania: 184 MB

These numbers are exactly in line with the required space listed on the eShop. Breath of the Wild is somewhere around 14 GB if I recall correctly. You could get a decent library going on the internal memory alone but I'm glad I had a 64GB MicroSD card lying around.

Do you think 64gb is enough for the short term (think about a year)? I'm getting a Switch this week and still deciding whether to go up to 128gb which is more than double the price of a 64gb card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Usually 128 isn't more than double 64, you can usually find a good deal. 64 should be fine for now though. What I do is when I finish a game I just archive it anyway if I don't think I'll be playing it again anytime soon.

• Locked thread