Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Nice bit of ambiguity at the end there with the reveal that the supply ships really did have weapons and you wonder whether how history really will look at Picard just like Maxwell said.

Nah, he's Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

vermin posted:

What exactly is Star Trek Discovery discovering? Because having STD as your acronym better be worth it. Before knowing a thing about it people have already associated your show with herpes, gonorrhea, and AIDS. The mail guy who's there on an internship could've made this marketing breakthrough.

I chalk the choice of STD to one thing and one thing only: the people making this show are completely ignorant of Star Trek history and the fan/production code 3 letter abbreviations. The never thought it would matter.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Duckula posted:

The Greatest Gen are doing Sub Rosa tomorrow - they're going to wish they saved those vetos, ohhh boy.

we can't let Jeb skip the bad episodes

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

FuturePastNow posted:

we can't let Jeb skip the bad episodes

Everyone should watch Sub Rosa, it's an episode of TV that aired in syndication where a grown woman has an orgasm on camera because of a candle ghost.

Gene's corpse had a boner when that episode aired.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Sub Rosa is hilarious. But there's some good stuff in Season 7, like The Pegasus feat. captain picard day

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mycomancy posted:

Gene's corpse had a boner when that episode aired.

As did many post-pubescent viewers.

Oh, Dr. Crusher :swoon:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I fully understand that Sub Rosa is awful, but as a fan of trashy Ann Rice novels and Hammer Horror films it did sorta work for me. Also, that loving line.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Paradoxish posted:

This is kind of a weird complaint since Greatest Gen blew away all their vetoes, didn't skip anything, and already announced that they aren't doing vetoes for DS9 since neither of them have seen every episode.

Oh it's not a complaint - it's more of a comment that they shouldn't even consider it. I enjoy both by the way, just saying I preferred the style of Next Conversation more.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

CaveGrinch posted:

Oh it's not a complaint - it's more of a comment that they shouldn't even consider it. I enjoy both by the way, just saying I preferred the style of Next Conversation more.

Let me rephrase. If you're considering doing a TNG comedy style recap podcast... by all means skip that Riker clip show. I mean, god... tv used to have honest to God clip shows

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
That actually came out a little more defensive than I intended. Mostly I just meant that I'm not really sure if Adam and Ben ever really intended to skip episodes. I don't think they were intentionally tanking their vetoes, but I have a feeling they would have gone back and done something for any truly awful episode they vetoed. I'll have to check out Next Conversation, this is literally the first I've heard of it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 4, episode 10 "Homefront"

I remembered Joe Sisko figuring out a way around the blood screenings, although I don't know how long blood would last before decaying. This is the most B5-esque episode so far by a long shot, although with a Star Trek flavor in that Sector 001 the Terran system Earth is a paradise unused to such threats (*cough* except in the movies *cough*). But that makes it all the more worth exploring the tension between liberty and security.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I always figured that it was unintentional. One guy knew enough to justify know an episode was lovely, the other knew enough to want to witness it.

As lovely as it is to watch now, 11 year old me really liked watching Sub Rosa, because this redhead woman was doing things made me feel things I didn't understand, but knew I liked.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So right now I'm looking at a dumb conversation on another site about coming up with a way to watch the entirety of Star Trek in chronological order, and I'm wondering if any of you guys ever played with a thought experiment like that. Right now I'm trying to figure out whether episodes that feature hallucinatory scenes in the past should be sorted chronologically or not (spoiler for Jeb)(do you watch all of "The Inner Light" during season 5 of TNG, or watch the Kamin parts once you hit c. 1368 AD?), and if averted future timelines should be watched at the end of the project or if they should be spun off into their own little appendix to be watched separately. I'm also wondering if such a super-mega-cut would even be comprehensible on any level.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

"Maybe I'll have something special for you tonight too" is this the most brazen sexual reference in the series or am I misunderstanding

What did I just get through telling everybody?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Marshal Radisic posted:

So right now I'm looking at a dumb conversation on another site about coming up with a way to watch the entirety of Star Trek in chronological order, and I'm wondering if any of you guys ever played with a thought experiment like that. Right now I'm trying to figure out whether episodes that feature hallucinatory scenes in the past should be sorted chronologically or not (spoiler for Jeb)(do you watch all of "The Inner Light" during season 5 of TNG, or watch the Kamin parts once you hit c. 1368 AD?), and if averted future timelines should be watched at the end of the project or if they should be spun off into their own little appendix to be watched separately. I'm also wondering if such a super-mega-cut would even be comprehensible on any level.

Watch it based on the chronological position of the plot device that frames it. So, roughly its original air position.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think with the Cardassians they had this reptilian head design and then had the inspiration to do something with Marc Alaimo's huge beefy giraffe neck and the Cardassian look was born. Everybody thought the makeup was great and they were a cool enemy and wanted to bring them back and it snowballed from there.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Arglebargle III posted:

Marc Alaimo's huge beefy giraffe neck

It blew my mind when I saw Dukat in his Bajoran disguise and I realized that dude just looks like that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kazinsal posted:

Watch it based on the chronological position of the plot device that frames it. So, roughly its original air position.

That's no fun. Start with the scene where Voyager visited the instant of the Big Bang.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Marshal Radisic posted:

I think hallucinations should happen in the time that the hallucination or memory thinks it is. Not for any reason other than having split screen of the same shot happening twice for anything repeated in the Riker clip show or the DS9 final montage thing.

Best of both worlds would be super confusing with all the dream sequences and memories happening.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It would be fun to see how they cut together "Farpoint" and "All Good Things." Or for that matter, oscillating between skinny and fat Riker for "The Pegasus"/"These Are the Voyages..."

EDIT: Would "Cause and Effect" mostly be one big simultaneous five-way (or whatever) split screen?

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 23, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It would be fun to see how they cut together "Farpoint" and "All Good Things." Or for that matter, oscillating between skinny and fat Riker for "The Pegasus"/"These Are the Voyages..."

EDIT: Would "Cause and Effect" mostly be one big simultaneous five-way (or whatever) split screen?

No, because by the end of the episode the Enterprise clocks were off by... days? So while the two ships were stuck in the timeloop, the rest of the universe proceeded on without them.

I think the worst part would be Star Trek 6 cutting away for footage from that lovely Voyager anniversary tie-in episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Every Prophet scene in a loop is just playing at 1% opacity at all times.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
splicing the two tribble episodes would be a pain in the rear end

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So how would you deal with The Cage and The Menagerie, would you just show most of The Cage twice?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pakled posted:

So how would you deal with The Cage and The Menagerie, would you just show most of The Cage twice?

The menegarie shows a recording of an earlier event. Presumably you wouldn't actually separate it apart, because no time travel happens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think the worst part would be Star Trek 6 cutting away for footage from that lovely Voyager anniversary tie-in episode.

ShIIIIIEEeeeelds

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

I'll have to check out Next Conversation, this is literally the first I've heard of it.

I'm about 40 minutes into the first episode (Jesus, this is not a brief podcast), and I think I like it. Less gag/in joke heavy than Greatest Generation, less high-brow than Mission Log.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Paradoxish posted:

That actually came out a little more defensive than I intended. Mostly I just meant that I'm not really sure if Adam and Ben ever really intended to skip episodes. I don't think they were intentionally tanking their vetoes, but I have a feeling they would have gone back and done something for any truly awful episode they vetoed. I'll have to check out Next Conversation, this is literally the first I've heard of it.

No problem at all. You should try it out, they're both great.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
There's a great dichotomy of someone who knows jack-poo poo about TNG and has to slog through these first two seasons and someone who has watched the entire thing.

Trying not to sound like a shill but I just truly enjoy it and think it isn't talked about enough in comparison.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

On the other hand, you get Zephram Cochrane simultaneously handshaking and murdering Vulcans.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

You don't even really need a backdoor or anything. Kids today already learn way, way more at a much younger age than kids did fifty or a hundred years ago, and that's even with highly imperfect educational systems like what we have in the US. It's pretty easy to imagine that you can teach a lot more when you've got a society that strongly values education for its own sake rather than as a means to an end. The complete lack of childhood poverty probably helps quite a bit too.

Yeah, I didn't take it to imply anything more than it's simply the future and everyone is insanely smart by our standards, but to them it's just business as usual. It's like how now you can teach kids calculus before they even get to college; that would have seemed preposterous in the 18th century.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, I didn't take it to imply anything more than it's simply the future and everyone is insanely smart by our standards, but to them it's just business as usual. It's like how now you can teach kids calculus before they even get to college; that would have seemed preposterous in the 18th century.

Yeah like modern prodigies learn calculus in Junior high, TNG prodigy Wesley crusher accidentally makes a tiny universe to kill his mom with mathematics

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

I fully understand that Sub Rosa is awful, but as a fan of trashy Ann Rice novels and Hammer Horror films it did sorta work for me. Also, that loving line.

It's an episode where the conflict is resolved by Data and Geordi sneaking out into a cemetery in the dead of night to dig up an old lady's grave. It's hard to like but easy to enjoy.

The candle dude being played by Zorro was one of those "Oh, so it is!" moments for me the second time I watched it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Honestly, who hasn't been raped by the ghost living in their grandma's space candle?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't incels by definition horny? Like isn't that the whole point?

also Klingons aren't having tons of wild sex apparently?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Holy poo poo who has time to listen to multiple one hour podcasts in which people discuss a television show most of us have probably seen multiple times and know like the backs of our hands? Good lord the commutes some of you must have.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

Holy poo poo who has time to listen to multiple one hour podcasts in which people discuss a television show most of us have probably seen multiple times and know like the backs of our hands? Good lord the commutes some of you must have.

Realtalk, this is an issue for me because my commute to work is literally ten minutes, so most of my podcast listening happens while playing a game (which distracts me from the podcast) or when I'm falling asleep at night (guess what happens there).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Especially when you could be listening to Mike Duncan's new audio book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DrNutt posted:

I end up consuming like 10+ hours of podcasts a week since I mostly listen while I'm working. Even more than that on boring weeks where I can listen at like 1.5x or 2x and still focus on what I'm doing. Also like a poo poo ton of audio books.