Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well what is actually happening is that the Boxers, being anti-westernization rebels, commit unspecified atrocities against westerners when they occupy a province, which causes all sorts of diplomatic incidents as well as gives all the great powers the special "Boxer Rebellion" CB against China (although, again, if you're playing as China this is hardly anything to worry about because even if the AI DOES somehow decide that it's a good idea to declare war against you, you should be able to crush them easily).

The main thing that's annoying about it is that for whatever reason they will just keep rising over and over again, so you have to constantly play Boxer whack-a-mole for the rest of the game - their numbers do deplete but since it's China, of course they've got millions of people so it's highly unlikely that they'll ever raise enough brigades for you to actually wipe them out completely.

I still don't understand why that breaks up your substate relationships (and I assume it prevents annexation of them upon westernization as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

disjoe posted:

I still don't understand why that breaks up your substate relationships (and I assume it prevents annexation of them upon westernization as well).

Nah you can still annex them - you just have to do it by force rather than having it happen automatically (you'll have a permanent claim on them too so you won't get any infamy for conquering them - although great powers may sphere some of the lower population substrates which makes attacking them a lot riskier.).

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Nah you can still annex them - you just have to do it by force rather than having it happen automatically (you'll have a permanent claim on them too so you won't get any infamy for conquering them - although great powers may sphere some of the lower population substrates which makes attacking them a lot riskier.).

Oh for sure, the Chinese Empire has cores on all that territory from day one. But it's bizarre that the boxers' occupation of a single territory causes the Guangxi Clique and everyone else to throw their hands up and go "WHATEVER, gently caress THIS."

What I'm saying is the boxer/Chinese westernization system isn't very well thought out, but hopefully it'll be better IN VICTORIA THREE, WHICH WILL CERTAINLY HAPPEN SOON.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

disjoe posted:

What I'm saying is the boxer/Chinese westernization system isn't very well thought out, but hopefully it'll be better IN VICTORIA THREE, WHICH WILL CERTAINLY HAPPEN SOON.
I am looking forward to playing it this time next year.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Victoria III is coming out in 2018? I'll alert the media.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Actually, Victoria 3 came out yesterday.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Victoria III is coming out in 2018? I'll alert the media.
Seems like I was misinformed. It's coming out 24.05.19, in celebration of the bicentennial of the birth of Queen Victoria. Developer diaries are what's going to come out in 2018.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

what the gently caress

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone played the paradox games with Steam controllers? Kind of interested in the potential for it down the road when I get a new tv (since with 32 inches...yeah that's not working with a paradox game while I'm on the couch).

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

If anyone signed up for the price rollback program, check your email. I got a response with a link to claim my stuff this morning. Gonna get Third Rome and Stellaris: Utopia.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Has anyone played the paradox games with Steam controllers? Kind of interested in the potential for it down the road when I get a new tv (since with 32 inches...yeah that's not working with a paradox game while I'm on the couch).

I tried EU4 with a steam controller and spent every second desperate to get back to playing with a mouse.

I still play games on my TV nowadays, but they tend to be simpler things (Fallout New Vegas at the moment) and I use an Xbox One controller while my steam controller gathers dust.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I am 100% in love with this.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I play games on a TV with a mouse and keyboard and Paradox games are a little too rough regardless of input because there's no UI scaling outside of mods or modding it yourself. Your mileage may vary if you set up your viewing distance to be more like a monitor.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

I play games on a TV with a mouse and keyboard and Paradox games are a little too rough regardless of input because there's no UI scaling outside of mods or modding it yourself. Your mileage may vary if you set up your viewing distance to be more like a monitor.

Yeah I have similar problems playing on my tv which is why I wish they had ui scaling. The newer games are alright but I found in Victoria 2 it was a lot easier to read if I lowered the resolution.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Some sort of ui scaling is long overdue in Paradox games.

I say they need to go full bore on it, and let you customize size, placement, font scale of as absolutely much as possible.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Before UI scaling I want them to fix pop-ups always appearing in the middle of the screen. It's obnoxious, especially in multiplayer, having an event or report get in the way of your inputs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

YF-23 posted:

Before UI scaling I want them to fix pop-ups always appearing in the middle of the screen. It's obnoxious, especially in multiplayer, having an event or report get in the way of your inputs.

Can't you adjust those settings in HOI4? I remember there's some kind of button that lets you tweak when you get notifications and for what things.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Can't you adjust those settings in HOI4? I remember there's some kind of button that lets you tweak when you get notifications and for what things.

Yes you can turn most notifications off but often you still want some but don't them popping up when you're trying to time an attack without being able to pause.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah, I want the pop-ups because they relay useful information to me, I just don't want them to interfere with my inputs. Just have the pop-ups appear on the rightmost 20% of the screen rather than right in the middle.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Do you guys not consider that Mars game Grand Strategy or did I miss a discussion about it? Because it looks very neat based on the feature list. I want an alcoholic scientist.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tahirovic posted:

Do you guys not consider that Mars game Grand Strategy or did I miss a discussion about it? Because it looks very neat based on the feature list. I want an alcoholic scientist.

What game?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gort posted:

What game?

He's talking about Surviving Mars, I think. Sci fi city builder by the Tropico people.

It didn't land up in this thread because it's not a Paradox Development Studio game, it's just being published by Paradox Interactive. Though, now that this is pretty much just the "Victoria and Rome sequel begging" thread I don't think we'd be cluttering up the place too much by letting the published games in?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Re. UI scale, someone should try playing Darkest Hour on a TV. I bet that would be the best.

Autonomous Monster posted:

He's talking about Surviving Mars, I think. Sci fi city builder by the Tropico people.

It didn't land up in this thread because it's not a Paradox Development Studio game, it's just being published by Paradox Interactive. Though, now that this is pretty much just the "Victoria and Rome sequel begging" thread I don't think we'd be cluttering up the place too much by letting the published games in?

Didn't we talk a bit about Cities: Skylines?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

GrossMurpel posted:

:shrug:

Not that I recall, but I haven't been around much.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I think so. I also think it included a lot of "What if Paradox made a multi-period city builder, from Antiquity to the modern age" discussion.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think so. I also think it included a lot of "What if Paradox made a multi-period city builder, from Antiquity to the modern age" discussion.

i never knew i wanted SimBruges until now

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Serious missed opportunity to call it the Astro-Hungarian Empire.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Autonomous Monster posted:

I guess but it seems to be using some PDX mechanics, really looking forward to it. At least it has a release date, unlike Victoria III. Maybe they should buy up the Tropico people and merge teams, that could result in some fun games.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Jazerus posted:

It would be pretty cool to at least in a city builder have to build around a medieval city core

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sheep posted:

Serious missed opportunity to call it the Astro-Hungarian Empire.
Oh poo poo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Surviving Mars seems pretty uninspired and cartoony. Hoping to be proved wrong of course.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jazerus posted:

It'd be a loving fairytale game

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Bruges already looks like a medieval Sim City

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jazerus posted:

I don't think I understand the reference, is it a joke about the Colin Farrell movie In Bruges?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Skwirl posted:

I don't think I understand the reference, is it a joke about the Colin Farrell movie In Bruges?

No it's a reference to the Belgian city.

StashAugustine posted:

It'd be a loving fairytale game
This was a reference to the movie.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Bruges already looks like a medieval Sim City

Looks like Anno 1404 pretty much (plus canals).

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Do you think they made up a city for that movie?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senor Dog posted:

Do you think they made up a city for that movie?

I know it's a real city, I just don't know why it's an interesting enough city that it deserves it's own sim game and Sim Bruges sounds a bit like In Bruges.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
In a hypothetical Victoria 3, do you think accepted languages would be a worthwhile addition? I was thinking about those events people posted about "signs in Yankee vs Dixie," and how you would deal with that, and I thought about pops having a language attached to them, but that also seems like it could easily just be bloat rather than be something interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I know it's a real city, I just don't know why it's an interesting enough city that it deserves it's own sim game and Sim Bruges sounds a bit like In Bruges.

bruges is a city built through multiple historical eras with the medieval core intact, and i was commenting on how cool a multiple-era city builder would be