Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
I'd like some advice on my keepers.

The league is 10 teams, 0.5 PPR. Roster is QB, WR, WR, TE, RB, RB, flex, K, DEF, six bench slots. I'm drafting #9 in a snake draft. We get two keepers, price is previous year's draft round minus one, or round 15 for guys acquired off waivers. My lock is Le'Veon Bell, for the price of my first round pick (was lucky enough to get him in round 2 last year because of the suspension). For the other, I'm considering these guys (pick cost in brackets):

Derek Carr (11)
Marcus Mariota (12)
Justin Tucker (13)
Ty Williams (15)
Thomas Rawls (9)
Greg Olsen (3)

I really like Mariota in round 12, and think Carr would be fine in 11 but like him less. Both guys seem better than other QBs to be had in those rounds, but QB looks stacked this year. I also kind of like Tucker, after seeing him go as high as round 9 in a few mock drafts. For reference, I want to spend less time managing my team / streaming this year. Is Williams worth a flier with Keenan Allen / Travis Benjamin back to full? Can Rawls beat out Lacey for carries? Is round 3 too high for Olsen, as good as he is? So many questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Tyrell in the 15th looks pretty tasty.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

pubic works project posted:

It was a 14 team auction league and everyone was snagging two QBs.

I never understand people who waste a bench spot on a QB when they already have a startable one. I can see platooning two late round QBs, or pairing a late rounder with Luck. But you don't need one when you have Brady. I just don't get it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

CompeAnansi posted:

I never understand people who waste a bench spot on a QB when they already have a startable one. I can see platooning two late round QBs, or pairing a late rounder with Luck. But you don't need one when you have Brady. I just don't get it.

Yeah and I refuse to trade with those idiots. I'd much rather have a solid team with a mediocre QB. I'm just going to roll with Wentz until either someone new pops up or I can find a great deal.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Yeah and I refuse to trade with those idiots. I'd much rather have a solid team with a mediocre QB. I'm just going to roll with Wentz until either someone new pops up or I can find a great deal.

This is how I've approached it the last 5 years with decent success.

This year like I said previously took Luck in 8th and Tyrod in 15th (since I might need a week 1, 2, 3,...16 starter).

Except everyone is telling me Tyrod will be garbage which I don't fully believe (yet).

Cutler... Siemian,and Bradford are all on the wire. Any of those a better option since it looks like I'll have to play my QB2?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Alfalfa posted:

This is how I've approached it the last 5 years with decent success.

This year like I said previously took Luck in 8th and Tyrod in 15th (since I might need a week 1, 2, 3,...16 starter).

Except everyone is telling me Tyrod will be garbage which I don't fully believe (yet).

Cutler... Siemian,and Bradford are all on the wire. Any of those a better option since it looks like I'll have to play my QB2?

Probably Bradford. Min opens with NO / PIT / TB / DET.

Luck should be back by then, and that is a not too bad start to the season.

Edit: Not to mention Diggs is still healthy and he is a really good WR when not injured.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Is the Beersheets page down for anyone else?

edit: not down, just slooooooooooooow to load

coronaball fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 23, 2017

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Hahahah in one league I'm in someone just dropped Danny Woodhead for Blake Bortles. I keep googling to see if I missed a story about him getting shot or something. Even still I'd rather have him than Bortles

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

gloom posted:

The league is 10 teams, 0.5 PPR. Roster is QB, WR, WR, TE, RB, RB, flex, K, DEF, six bench slots. I'm drafting #9 in a snake draft. We get two keepers, price is previous year's draft round minus one, or round 15 for guys acquired off waivers. My lock is Le'Veon Bell, for the price of my first round pick (was lucky enough to get him in round 2 last year because of the suspension). For the other, I'm considering these guys (pick cost in brackets):

Derek Carr (11)
Marcus Mariota (12)
Justin Tucker (13)
Ty Williams (15)
Thomas Rawls (9)
Greg Olsen (3)

I really like Mariota in round 12, and think Carr would be fine in 11 but like him less. Both guys seem better than other QBs to be had in those rounds, but QB looks stacked this year. I also kind of like Tucker, after seeing him go as high as round 9 in a few mock drafts. For reference, I want to spend less time managing my team / streaming this year. Is Williams worth a flier with Keenan Allen / Travis Benjamin back to full? Can Rawls beat out Lacey for carries? Is round 3 too high for Olsen, as good as he is? So many questions.

Honestly, I would consider not keeping a second player. You aren't really gaining any value and a better option should be available. Also, if you keep a kicker, I hope you lose every game, because you'll deserve it.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Sataere posted:

Honestly, I would consider not keeping a second player. You aren't really gaining any value and a better option should be available. Also, if you keep a kicker, I hope you lose every game, because you'll deserve it.

I'd challenge that keeping Tyrell Williams as a 15th rounder is gaining value seeing as his adp is around the 9th/10th round. If Keenan Allen gets hurt again which is very possible, his value would more than double, possibly even triple as he ended last season as a high end WR2.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 23, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

VietCampo posted:

I'd challenge that keeping Tyrell Williams as a 15th rounder is gaining value

As is Mariota in the 12th

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Someone dropped Blount in my league. Should I drop Rob Kelley or Jonathan Williams (I own Shady) for Blount?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

MacheteZombie posted:

Someone dropped Blount in my league. Should I drop Rob Kelley or Jonathan Williams (I own Shady) for Blount?

Drop Rob Kelly.

Blount is gonna be fine in Philly. Rob Kelly and Perine are gonna be in this weird time share bullshit and the Redskins are gonna flip from one to the other every other week because the Redskins are incompetent.

The worry with Blount is that the 30+ year old didn't look good in a couple of preseason games that are preseason and preseason and don't count for anything and he doesn't have anything to prove please get the Eagles through one more stupid loving preseason game without anybody getting injured.

Eagles have one of the best o-lines in the league and Blount makes dudes hang off him as he makes 10 yard gains. He ain't that special. But he's this year's Frank Gore.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

gloom posted:

Derek Carr (11)
Marcus Mariota (12)
Justin Tucker (13)
Ty Williams (15)
Thomas Rawls (9)
Greg Olsen (3)

Mariota or Williams if you have to choose one.

In a 10 man there will be plenty available in those rounds so I'd honestly not take any.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

What's everyone's thoughts on Carson Wentz? I got stuck with him in my work league and I'm just wary on relying on him.

This is more real life than fantasy, but people seem to have lost perspective on Wentz. He was a rookie last year and played college at North Dakota State. The expectation coming in was that he was going to sit for a year. I mean, it was a complete shock when he was named the starter and at the time I thought it was a horrible decision. I think we've been spoiled by a handful of historic rookie QB seasons over the last few years. Cam in 2011, then Russ, Luck, and RGII in 2012, and last year Dak, really skew our expectations. Most rookie QBs are dreadful. Mediocre with flashes of greatness is usually the best you can hope for, and I think that's what Wentz was last year, and given that he wasn't even supposed to be the starter, that's pretty good. The offense should be a lot better with actual NFL caliber WRs on the roster too.

But that's all real NLF stuff. In fantasy, man, that's a bad draw. I wouldn't be surprised if Wentz makes a leap this year, but even that's only going to make him borderline fantasy relevant. The Eagles D is probably too good for Bortles garbage time style relevance. It just takes so much to be fantasy relevant. Derek Carr is a fringe fantasy starter and he was an MVP candidate.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My league has a keeper rule that allows you to keep a player for one round earlier than he was drafted the previous year. If you're prepared to carry an injured player on your list all year (we even have an IR slot) you can keep a player even if he never hit the field.

One guy in our league secured Jordy Nelson for a 13th Round Pick two years ago and has basically locked himself into the championship for as long as he can keep him.

Are there any players this year with long term injuries/on the Injured Reserve list that I can target late in the draft for some mega value the following year?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

My league has a keeper rule that allows you to keep a player for one round earlier than he was drafted the previous year. If you're prepared to carry an injured player on your list all year (we even have an IR slot) you can keep a player even if he never hit the field.

One guy in our league secured Jordy Nelson for a 13th Round Pick two years ago and has basically locked himself into the championship for as long as he can keep him.

Are there any players this year with long term injuries/on the Injured Reserve list that I can target late in the draft for some mega value the following year?

I got Jordy in the 15th that year :smug:

As for this year, Andrew Luck.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Looten Plunder posted:

Are there any players this year with X term injuries/on the Injured Reserve list that I can target late in the draft for some mega value the following year?

Kenneth Dixon, Ryan Tannehil, Josh Gordon :420:

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

89 posted:

The worry with Blount is that the 30+ year old didn't look good in a couple of preseason games that are preseason and preseason and don't count for anything and he doesn't have anything to prove please get the Eagles through one more stupid loving preseason game without anybody getting injured.

Eagles have one of the best o-lines in the league and Blount makes dudes hang off him as he makes 10 yard gains. He ain't that special. But he's this year's Frank Gore.
The bigger worry with Blount is that last time he was on a non-Patriots team, he literally quit on them and got cut mid-season.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

It was a 14 team auction league and everyone was snagging two QBs.

Hey! You can be my spirit animal. 14 team auction this weekend, everyone not only drafted but overpaid for 2 QBs. There's one guy with Tyrod, Wilson and Palmer. Another who spent $50 on Luck and Ryan. Brees and Stafford. None of them beat the guy who drafted Kizer, Watson, and Manning. I wound up Wentz as well. At least I beat the guy who'll be trotting out McCown.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

89 posted:

Drop Rob Kelly.

Blount is gonna be fine in Philly. Rob Kelly and Perine are gonna be in this weird time share bullshit and the Redskins are gonna flip from one to the other every other week because the Redskins are incompetent.

Yeah that's kinda what I was figuring. I ended up putting the waiver in for Blount and dropping Kelley last night.

Tiptoes posted:

The bigger worry with Blount is that last time he was on a non-Patriots team, he literally quit on them and got cut mid-season.

I'm okay with that over having Fat Rob tbh.

e: also the guy that dropped Blount picked up Jimmy Garrapolo. :psyduck:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
This year my league expanded to 12 teams and I am not super sure about my draft, I had the 10th pick. We're .5 ppr but otherwise a pretty standard league.

Please rate my draft:

1. Jordy Nelson
2. DeMarco Murray
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Spencer Ware
5. Emmanuel Sanders
6. Derrick Henry
7. Jeremy Maclin
8. Kareem Hunt
9. Corey Coleman
10. Thomas Rawls
11. Kenny Golladay
12. Jamaal Charles
13. Charles Sims
14. Buccaneers DST
15. Allen Hurns
16. Nick Folk

Also I will probably drop Allen Hurns for a TE since I forgot to draft one, unless someone else is more droppable?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Epi Lepi posted:

This year my league expanded to 12 teams and I am not super sure about my draft, I had the 10th pick. We're .5 ppr but otherwise a pretty standard league.

Please rate my draft:

1. Jordy Nelson
2. DeMarco Murray
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Spencer Ware
5. Emmanuel Sanders
6. Derrick Henry
7. Jeremy Maclin
8. Kareem Hunt
9. Corey Coleman
10. Thomas Rawls
11. Kenny Golladay
12. Jamaal Charles
13. Charles Sims
14. Buccaneers DST
15. Allen Hurns
16. Nick Folk

Also I will probably drop Allen Hurns for a TE since I forgot to draft one, unless someone else is more droppable?

Out of this group, I'd drop Hurns. I just saw that he might be on the trade block in Jacksonville.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Agreed on Hurns.

I'm not loving that draft. That's a lot of early picks on handcuffs.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Ben Nevis posted:

Agreed on Hurns.

I'm not loving that draft. That's a lot of early picks on handcuffs.

I've definitely felt really lost this year, and I really did not like my draft position of 10 out of 12. For pretty much every pick I felt like I was forced to reach or go with a guy I don't trust.

My biggest regret is Spencer Ware, I immediately regretted not going for another WR with that pick.

I try to justify Henry and Hunt with the thought that they're not exactly handcuffs so much as the guys who will probably(hopefully) win the bell cow position by the end of the season, but they could drag out the competition all season and then I'm in a lovely position.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hey, just a reminder: If you're doing an irl auction this year, and you have an auctioneer, you're doing it wrong.

IRL auctions are literally the greatest part of human achievement. They combine our greatest feat: Mathematics, with our second greatest feat: Aggressively yelling to get our way.

But most still have someone reading each player then saying "going once, going twice... oh wait here's another bid... going once... twice... oh wait more bids..." You would be shocked at how much this extends an auction, usually it's by about 40%, or 1-2 hours, just having some guy say those words 500 times in an afternoon.

Instead, try this: Sit around a table, or just generally in a loose circle. Go around taking turns bidding or passing. If you pass once, you can't bid again on that player. When everyone has passed except one person, they get the player.

We switched to this about 13 years ago at the fervent insistence of our league's longest-time auction veteran. I was SHOCKED at how much more fun auctions became. The tempo is much less grating. Plus it means that each round of bidding ends up with just two owners left, angrily glaring at each other and dropping mad emotional trash talk.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

Hey, just a reminder: If you're doing an irl auction this year, and you have an auctioneer, you're doing it wrong.

IRL auctions are literally the greatest part of human achievement. They combine our greatest feat: Mathematics, with our second greatest feat: Aggressively yelling to get our way.

But most still have someone reading each player then saying "going once, going twice... oh wait here's another bid... going once... twice... oh wait more bids..." You would be shocked at how much this extends an auction, usually it's by about 40%, or 1-2 hours, just having some guy say those words 500 times in an afternoon.

Instead, try this: Sit around a table, or just generally in a loose circle. Go around taking turns bidding or passing. If you pass once, you can't bid again on that player. When everyone has passed except one person, they get the player.

We switched to this about 13 years ago at the fervent insistence of our league's longest-time auction veteran. I was SHOCKED at how much more fun auctions became. The tempo is much less grating. Plus it means that each round of bidding ends up with just two owners left, angrily glaring at each other and dropping mad emotional trash talk.

We tried that this year and didn't like it. I thought it was okay, others thought it took too long.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Man I'm sorry to ask this but I've been searching for your request link for specific beer sheets and coming up short.

Please don't think I'm freeloading I love you forever for putting these together even if I haven't been very active in this thread this year.

big fork small knife
Jan 23, 2006

I'm not feeling great about my draft in my 12 team, 0.5 PPR league. Like I don't think there's anything egregiously wrong with it, but I can't help feeling disappointed. Yahoo giving my draft a D didn't help! I had pick 8.

QB: Dalton (12)

WR: Evans (1), Michael Thomas (2), Diggs (8), Fitzgerald (6), Garcon (11)

RB: Lynch (3), Cook (4), Ingram (5), Powell (7), Terrance West (10), Jamaal Williams (15)

TE: Ebron (9)

D: Philadelphia (14)

K: Prater (13)

Can you guys give me any suggestions/reassurances?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kiimo posted:

Man I'm sorry to ask this but I've been searching for your request link for specific beer sheets and coming up short.

Please don't think I'm freeloading I love you forever for putting these together even if I haven't been very active in this thread this year.

https://goo.gl/forms/BFy0tGQD3DniZwHk1

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

We tried that this year and didn't like it. I thought it was okay, others thought it took too long.

Fair enough. It's disappointing to learn that not every league sees the dramatic decrease in auction time we did (went from about 5 hours for 14 people down to 3 hours).

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Too long compared to what else? I can't imagine it adding time. Just curious.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

praise

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

maths

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 23, 2017

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

kiimo posted:

Weird on the beer sheets it says typically passing yards are .04 (1 point per 25 yards) and my settings are .2 for every 5 passing yards. Is my league heavily favoring passing yards?

You can do this.

Someone please change the thread title to something about math.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm an idiot

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

kiimo posted:

I'm an idiot

Don't worry. You're among friends here.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ayudo posted:

Don't worry. You're among friends here.

Idiot friends!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kiimo posted:

I'm an idiot

No shame in being temporarily dumb, we all do that, but big shame for editing it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/900412404634341376

Buy low?

• Locked thread