Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Because Hayward wanted to go somewhere with more playoffs hope and a bigger market, which is what Kyrie would be walking away from.

Nothing about Heyward suggests he cares about the market size (other than maybe it helps him make All NBA? But he's super private generally and I don't think he'll love more attention). He wanted an easier path to the Finals with the added bonus of getting to play for his college coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shear Modulus posted:

he would have to put up with the same thing about Pop in San Antonio (not to the same degree of course)

There wouldn't be a paternalistic tone to it, like Pop is respected as a great coach, but Kawhi gets to stand on his own as being great, and he never gets such paternalistic questions. Pop also always deflects to his players being the reason he is such a good coach.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"Both teams win this trade" hmmm yes it's not like one of these teams specifically has to beat the other one for any semblance of progress
This ain't a trade between the timberwolves and magic or something

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"Both teams win this trade" hmmm yes it's not like one of these teams specifically has to beat the other one for any semblance of progress
This ain't a trade between the timberwolves and magic or something

Or one of those teams can still punt this year, and next year be the best team in the East when Lebron heads west to join the Kings or something. While having a team of dudes younger than like 27/28

While the Cavs have enough to compete this year (drop off from Kyrie to Isiah in the short term) isn't that dramatic, and adding a 3/D role player adds to a garbage bench.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

Nothing about Heyward suggests he cares about the market size (other than maybe it helps him make All NBA? But he's super private generally and I don't think he'll love more attention). He wanted an easier path to the Finals with the added bonus of getting to play for his college coach.

He was just trying to get a better ping, he's 500 miles closer to the LoL servers now.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Boston was not on the list of teams is a big fact

He's not going to be "the man" in Boston

Boston has some social issues

Those are some reasons but I guess he could stay . Maybe ainge got assurances from his agent.

Lol. It's not 1952 anymore.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

:thunk:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That really is a hell of a thing to say in this time and this place.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I feel like Celtics would better off giving Cavs Tatum instead of the pick which could have been Michael Porter Jr or Marvin Bagley III.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

If anyone is wondering, Jon Jones tested positive.

Again.

Rick Barry wasn't really a bad person. He was just an intensely caustic, perfectionist rear end in a top hat who was disliked by everyone around him.

What exactly are you trying to say, he wasn't :godwin:? Because his teammates, i.e. everyone around him hated him. He was probably hf autistic or aspergers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Ask Adam Jones about it

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dexo posted:

That really is a hell of a thing to say in this time and this place.

It's really not and the "Boston is racist" schtick is really tiresome at this point.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
hah 500 missed posts means a cool trade happened

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's really not and the "Boston is racist" schtick is really tiresome at this point.
Schtick....
https://mobile.twitter.com/eboland11/status/859493148438999040

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Red Sox fans are the worst of the worst but dedicated Celtics fans seem to be marginally better, maybe I just think that to make myself feel better though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Redgrendel2001 posted:

*looks at red text*

:laffo:

"schtick" aside, Like countless numbers of players have talked about how they have only been called racial slurs at games in Boston.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks, everywhere is racist.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Pelican fans are terrible and are quick to both hate and love players for the dumbest loving reasons. They are also terribly short-sighted and not very understanding of circumstances. Actually, they are like every other fanbase: horrible.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

Red Sox fans are the worst of the worst but dedicated Celtics fans seem to be marginally better, maybe I just think that to make myself feel better though.

NBA fans generally are better about that type of stuff, as the NBA is a majority black sport, You are also closer to players and thus have to in theory worry about retaliation or directly being called out. rather than being nameless faceless assholes screaming from the stands in baseball.

zoux posted:

Folks, everywhere is racist.

Mostly this, but Boston just has that little extra bit of spice.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Cool Buff Man posted:

They're too busy pointing at the banners in the rafters and counting them for you to notice skin color IMO.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

*looks at red text*

:laffo:

iirc it was from the year where the sixers almost broke the single season loss record too

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

Well he was considering Boston and Miami, which sounds a lot like someone motivated by market. He also said himself the fact that Boston is Boston. I think the coach and the fact they have all those pieces was the biggest reason, but I think he also wanted to go somewhere bigger in a basketball sense.

hayward posted:

There were so many great things pulling me in that direction. There was the winning culture of Boston, as a city — from the Sox, to the Pats, to the Bruins. There was the special history of the Celtics, as a franchise — from Russell, to Bird, to Pierce, and it goes on. There was the amazing potential of this current Celtics team — from ownership, to the front office, to a talented roster with Isaiah, and Al, and everyone else. 

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dexo posted:

It's also just a general respect thing.

Kyrie constantly had to answer questions about how awesome Lebron James is, and what type of loving "father figure" Lebron James is to him and blah blah blah.

He wouldn't have to deal with those type of questions anywhere else in the league.

I agree, that's a big deal to a guy like him.* The fact that LeBron is the defacto GM and didn't express outrage when CLE offered him in trade, that came up not too long ago too.

*I mean, part of him believes he really is Uncle Drew, who is old enough to have schooled LeBron.

/bb psychology

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

Mostly this, but Boston just has that little extra bit of spice.

Ironic given all the white people :grin:

Wait is that racist

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Well he was considering Boston and Miami, which sounds a lot like someone motivated by market. He also said himself the fact that Boston is Boston. I think the coach and the fact they have all those pieces was the biggest reason, but I think he also wanted to go somewhere bigger in a basketball sense.

That seems more like he wants to play for a team with a history of good management and a winning culture (which Miami under Riley also has a rep for) than him caring about the market.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

As a person who lives in Boston it is an incredibly segregated city and continues to be incredibly bad because of a horribly segregated school system. There are neighborhoods in the city that are so white that you can barely look at them without hurting your eyes. This segregation is going to get worse and worse as long as development companies continue building condos and luxury apartments in neighborhoods that actually need more affordable housing more than anything else.

And that doesn't even begin to get into the trash that live in Revere and Quincy who's families resent minorities of all types for pushing them out of the city and into the burbs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

As a person who lives in Boston it is an incredibly segregated city and continues to be incredibly bad because of a horribly segregated school system. There are neighborhoods in the city that are so white that you can barely look at them without hurting your eyes. This segregation is going to get worse and worse as long as development companies continue building condos and luxury apartments in neighborhoods that actually need more affordable housing more than anything else.

And that doesn't even begin to get into the trash that live in Revere and Quincy who's families resent minorities of all types for pushing them out of the city and into the burbs.

That's not even a boston thing, that's an every goddamn city in this country thing, Chicago already showed the blueprint for how you successfully segregate the hell out of a city and get away with it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Mambold posted:

I agree, that's a big deal to a guy like him.* The fact that LeBron is the defacto GM and didn't express outrage when CLE offered him in trade, that came up not too long ago too.

*I mean, part of him believes he really is Uncle Drew, who is old enough to have schooled LeBron.

/bb psychology

It's serious. I used to put no stock in intangibles in sports. I was forced to take a sports psychology class and I went into it thinking it was all bunkum. But the studies are there. People just plain perform better when they believe in themselves.

At the end of the day a sports team is still a job. It's not easy to go into your job knowing that there's a loud mouth next to you running the shots and keeping you from getting 'promoted'.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Dexo posted:

That's not even a boston thing, that's an every goddamn city in this country thing, Chicago already showed the blueprint for how you successfully segregate the hell out of a city and get away with it.

Exactly. Welcome to literally every city in the United States.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Let it be known that I understand that his is a nationwide issue, Boston just seems to be an extremely toxic case. I really don't know why. Maybe because it is was a hub for Irish and Italian migrants in the late 19th/earliest 20th century who were similarly discriminated against and they are simply kicking the can down the line? There are probably ton's of studies on the exact reasons why.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 23, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Boston was the place where a dude attempted to spear someone with the American flag over busing black kids.

Y'all should read The Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America by Johnathan Kozol. Teacher from Boston who also wrote Death at an Early Age and Savage Inequalities. Should read all of them they're good but you'll need to drink to get over the despair you'll feel.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Boston was the place where a dude attempted to spear someone with the American flag over busing black kids.

Y'all should read The Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America by Johnathan Kozol. Teacher from Boston who also wrote Death at an Early Age and Savage Inequalities. Should read all of them they're good but you'll need to drink to get over the despair you'll feel.

Ooh, I should read this book. The desegregation of the Boston Public School system is one of the most bizarre and depressing things in US history.

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

As a Boston fan, I'm okay with this trade.

Call me crazy but I think Brooklyn will do better than last year if healthy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Boston and Chicago are both much worse than most cities. Moving out of Chicago was eye opening, though you are right it does exist to an extent everywhere.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lockback posted:

Boston and Chicago are both much worse than most cities. Moving out of Chicago was eye opening, though you are right it does exist to an extent everywhere.

Milwaukee is probably lowkey the actual worst tbh.

there's like a literal bridge with Police always patrolling around it.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ooh, I should read this book. The desegregation of the Boston Public School system is one of the most bizarre and depressing things in US history.

Death at an Early Age is specifically about Kozols experience teaching at a public school in Boston until he was fired for daring to teach a Langston Hughes poem too

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Can we talk about how bad Danny Ainge is instead of having the "is Boston racist" discussion for the millionth time (hint: it is, google mark wahlberg)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dexo posted:

Milwaukee is probably lowkey the actual worse tbh.

there's like a literal bridge with Police always patrolling around it.

Jewelry store robber Jon Henson

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

Can we talk about how bad Danny Ainge is instead of having the "is Boston racist" discussion for the millionth time (hint: it is, google mark wahlberg)

I love dunking on Danny Ainge(more than I love hating boston tbh) but I can't get mad at him for this.

He finally did something with his precious #assets. And got a good player going into his prime. While unblocking Brown and Tatum's playing time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

Danny Ainge once traded for Jeff green so he is indeed bad

• Locked thread