Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peanut posted:

Why is everyone obsessed with resale value? Doesn't anyone have family houses/forever home?

Not when I'm in my early 30's and this is my first house? There's no way in hell that a 3bd semi detached in a commuter down is my ideal long term destination - but compromises have to be made in light of paying off a mortgage, over the next 3-5y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:( 3 bed semi in a commuter town is my actual final destination. On the one hand, house smol. On the other, I don't give a flying gently caress about what other people think of my turquoise sofa and vinyl floors.

Saying that 3/4 of the walls in every room of the house are still magnolia or a fresh layer of that wallpaper you paint over, because I have yet to decide which colours to match up with my accent wallpaper.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Southern Heel posted:

OK guys, thank you for your help and advice. PM'ed a couple.

I would actually enjoy taking some time to design out the place myself - I'm conscious of decisions I have to make now, which are going to have big knock-on effects that I feel like I have to be relatively certain going into it. If I could possibly call on some advice for the thread on these structural alterations (assuming building code, safety, etc. is all met - purely from a functional perspective) then I feel as though I can take my time learning and changing myself over time. Any help on the below would be greatly appreciated. EDIT: I appreciate this is less around design, but I feel like having a solid foundation will allow me to ask 'rattan or hemp' at a later date much more freely!

The requirements are in order of preference:
- Create a kitchen diner by opening up the space in the kitchen
- Add an additional bedroom/office to increase resale value in future
- Find a way to move utilities away from the kitchen-diner
- Add a downstairs bathroom

This is the current plan:

My wife would like to ensure there's space for another bedroom, which leads to this rather simple change where we rebuild the non-load bearing wall between the kitchen and dining areas in the original plan before selling up, and putting an RSJ across the kitchen span instead of those arches to make space to place the dining table there. Cabinets for utilities would have to reside against the south-east wall over from the dining table. Structurally this seems the simplest and most direct way - but I'm wary of carving into living space to create another bedroom.

Possibly long term she would like to have the utilities in a separate room, and a downstairs bathroom, so expanded to something like this. I can't help but feel this is a bridge too far - ten times the cost of the intermediate step and only gaining a small footprint. It would be a brand new room (possibly better used as another bedroom? roughly 3m x 3m square) but the cost would likely match any increase in value so seems a zero-sum opportunity either way:

The loft is finished, but only has a 6' apex and as such isn't suitable as a real room - based on conversation with residents and local planning officials it's going to be impossible to get planning permission to heighten the roofline, and adding regular stairs (even space savers) to get there is going to require the removal of the upstairs toilet.

That seems like a really strange place to have a bedroom. Right in the middle of everything is going to be the noisiest part of the house. I suppose it being a bad bedroom doesn't matter if you don't plant to use it as a bedroom and just want to be able to tick an extra bedroom on future real estate listings.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Drape Culture posted:

For any UK goon, I hear rumor from several consignment shops that mid-century stuff is not at all popular over there. Is this true?

A bunch of that stuff wound up on a builder bonfire in my garden the other month, if that helps set the tone.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

learnincurve posted:

:( 3 bed semi in a commuter town is my actual final destination. On the one hand, house smol. On the other, I don't give a flying gently caress about what other people think of my turquoise sofa and vinyl floors.

Saying that 3/4 of the walls in every room of the house are still magnolia or a fresh layer of that wallpaper you paint over, because I have yet to decide which colours to match up with my accent wallpaper.

Honestly I'm thinking of trying to build up enough capital for a self build waaaay out in the West country or Scotland and then renting this out, but it's a 5+ year horizon for more than just notional plans in that direction.

Facebook Aunt posted:

That seems like a really strange place to have a bedroom. Right in the middle of everything is going to be the noisiest part of the house. I suppose it being a bad bedroom doesn't matter if you don't plant to use it as a bedroom and just want to be able to tick an extra bedroom on future real estate listings.

My wife is honestly just trying out ideas to see where we could add value, but I think you're right - after typing it out here quite succinctly I've realised that we actually need to live in this place too! It doesn't make sense at this stage to carve up the living area. (If nothing else, then the bottom-left extension room for a bedroom would make much more sense. Or converting the detached garage to a granny annex.)

I found some pictures of the house listing. I think the brown wood furniture ontop of the wood floors and wood trim is really overpowering. The floor is varnished floorboards and the trim is all sanded and waxed. (As per home-wiring thread I'm fairly certain I'm going to knock through the kitchen/breakfast area, and get a number of electrical points in each of the rooms added with recessed sockets so there will be a degree of redecoration required regardless):

Any initial impressions would be greatly recieved. I'm working up my own ideas as we speak, to be posted once I have them organised coherently - broadly I'm thinking to repaint into some cool colours to counter all the brown wood. The kitchen I'm really unsure about where to start - what is there is very high quality, but just so OTT woody I'm not sure how to fix it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Southern Heel posted:

Any initial impressions would be greatly recieved. I'm working up my own ideas as we speak, to be posted once I have them organised coherently - broadly I'm thinking to repaint into some cool colours to counter all the brown wood. The kitchen I'm really unsure about where to start - what is there is very high quality, but just so OTT woody I'm not sure how to fix it.

A couple of area rugs would break up the expanse of wood, feel better in winter, and be a ton less work. The wood looks good, it just needs something to break it up a little.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

peanut posted:

Why is everyone obsessed with resale value? Doesn't anyone have family houses/forever home?

Stable lifetime jobs don't exist any more. Chances are that in your 50 year career these days, you're going to have to move 2-3 times to follow where the work is.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Your house looks lovely in those pictures.
We have light wood floors that contrast nicely against our cherry wood furniture and medium doors and trim. Lots of wood is great and I like it even more in large grain and varied shades.
Don't chop up the LDK space. People always gather around a kitchen.

Our custom build forever home is 1300 sqf 4bd 1.5 bath, lol?! I minimized hallway space and maximized storage.
Assuming young people will only be poorer in the future, maybe reasonable cozy houses in a decent neighborhood are better for long-term resale value​?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

oh no I gis'd "jesus painting chair" then "time out chair"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peanut posted:

Your house looks lovely in those pictures.
We have light wood floors that contrast nicely against our cherry wood furniture and medium doors and trim. Lots of wood is great and I like it even more in large grain and varied shades.
Don't chop up the LDK space. People always gather around a kitchen.

Our custom build forever home is 1300 sqf 4bd 1.5 bath, lol?! I minimized hallway space and maximized storage.
Assuming young people will only be poorer in the future, maybe reasonable cozy houses in a decent neighborhood are better for long-term resale value​?

Aw thanks buddy :) Wife and I really liked it, even though it needs a bit of modernising IMO. I'm really not a fan of the green walls - doing some quick colour swatches in Photoshop however, I'm not sure what WOULD work. Not chopping up LDK, because the K is already separate. I'm thinking of making the K bigger by bashing thru that arched wall - but then not entirely sure what I'd do with the space I've gained in the LD area if I'm not going to use it for a dining table!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Southern Heel if you have any questions on the structural part of it give me a shout, I'm also in the southeast and I've just had very similar things done to my house (but more of them) so I can give you an idea on cost / disruption / feasibility before you wind up negotiating with builders, assuming you're not in London proper.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

peanut posted:

oh no I gis'd "jesus painting chair" then "time out chair"

Little Cambren is going to burn that chair in a few years.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Jaysis, I would messily murder kittens and puppies to live in that house! It's a beaut.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Allen Wren posted:

for real, I've never met anyone who knows how to play it, it's a game you find in a closet and no one knows how it got there

if it's good, I'd be willing to give it a shot, but I think the last time I was in the same room as a copy of it, I was like ten

It's just like playing rummy with cards except you use tiles (and have a bigger hand) where you make runs and sets etc - but the goal is simply to go out, sets you play aren't "yours" for points or anything.

The real difference is that you can alter any set out there as long as it stays legal. Like if someone played 7.8.9 and you needed the 9 for something, you could play a six and then take the nine since the remaining 6.7.8 is still legal. It also has two wild tiles that can be swapped out in the same way.

It's a fun take on rummy.

:corsair: maybe but whatever. If you don't like it we'll play cribbage instead.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Drape Culture posted:

This is a great room divider! Any idea who made/designed it?

For any UK goon, I hear rumor from several consignment shops that mid-century stuff is not at all popular over there. Is this true?

Not sure! The square handles on the top shelves feel very Heywood Wakefield, but it's not their signature blonde. It might not be marked because this seller is really good at researching the designers.

I'm amazed MCM wouldn't have some grab over there. The furniture is tiny it would fit in those houses!

Youth Decay posted:

This house was "freshly painted" this year so they took new photos for their new listing (and bumped the price up $15k, naturally). But the realtor got lazy and didn't actually do any staging this time. Wouldn't the "before" photos sell the house much better?

I love this ranch and would decorate it right.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 23, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm amazed MCM wouldn't have some grab over there. The furniture is tiny it would fit in those houses!

It did. It fit in our grandparents' houses. Now we make slightly bigger houses and buy better furniture.

Personally I need furniture to be both practical and good looking to consider it "good", and MCM fails on both counts for me.

I understand that some people like the look and that's fine, but even if I did I'd fail it on account of my abiding memories of that style of furniture as thin, weak materials without a lot of thought to e.g. how well a door slides or closes. I also hate concrete brutalist architecture so there's a theme here.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Jaded Burnout posted:

It did. It fit in our grandparents' houses. Now we make slightly bigger houses and buy better furniture.

Personally I need furniture to be both practical and good looking to consider it "good", and MCM fails on both counts for me.

I understand that some people like the look and that's fine, but even if I did I'd fail it on account of my abiding memories of that style of furniture as thin, weak materials without a lot of thought to e.g. how well a door slides or closes. I also hate concrete brutalist architecture so there's a theme here.

That's interesting your experience is different. Here a lot of what is available is solid wood with lots of solid craftsmanship. Or at least that's what I buy, but I swing more on the higher end and earlier in the style.

My other options here are IKEA and places like Ashley Furniture or dealing with online mail order like west elm.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Correct, the local shops I go to regularly won't accept it because they can't shift it. Sadly I think most of it gets sent to the tip unless it's a brand like g-plan, then it gets ebayed for thousands (and often doesn't sell, I've seen the same units go up for sale repeatedly for over a year occasionally)

I really want that irregular shaped g-plan mirror, but between the cost and shipping it hardly seems worth it.

Jaded Burnout posted:

A bunch of that stuff wound up on a builder bonfire in my garden the other month, if that helps set the tone.

Man I thought the arbitrage between here and just another part of the state was a lot. I wonder how much a shipping container costs...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Personally I love the look of some mcm kit, less so the atomic look. However real pieces that look good and are in good condition command a premium, many many more times than it would cost to make them myself.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

peanut posted:

In the USA, one of the best tax loop holes is the profit on a house sale. If you are married and live in your house for two years, you can profit up to $500,000 from the sale before having to pay taxes.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The Bloop posted:

It's just like playing rummy with cards except you use tiles (and have a bigger hand) where you make runs and sets etc - but the goal is simply to go out, sets you play aren't "yours" for points or anything.

The real difference is that you can alter any set out there as long as it stays legal. Like if someone played 7.8.9 and you needed the 9 for something, you could play a six and then take the nine since the remaining 6.7.8 is still legal. It also has two wild tiles that can be swapped out in the same way.

It's a fun take on rummy.

:corsair: maybe but whatever. If you don't like it we'll play cribbage instead.

I also play it! My grandparents from Argentina taught me how. It's fun!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jaded Burnout posted:

That's like announcing you hate t-shirts because the one you bought at H&M ripped. Cheap crap is going to be cheap crap. People aren't collecting the lovely MCM furniture - if it lasted this long it's because it was well-made.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's like announcing you hate t-shirts because the one you bought at H&M ripped. Cheap crap is going to be cheap crap. People aren't collecting the lovely MCM furniture - if it lasted this long it's because it was well-made.

It's more that the style necessitates it. Thin legs, thin veneer doors, no runners or soft stops etc. It's more likely that I have different standards to what I consider practical. I would not feel comfortable putting my feet up on an MCM table, or knocking into a leg while moving a chair, or doing many of the incidental things life does to furniture, no matter how well made they are.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 23, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

The problem is that the well made stuff never existed in anywhere like the same quantities in the U.K. as it did in America. Furniture of that period has the same style, but it was mass produced in old aircraft factories out of plywood and veneer to replace furniture that had burnt up in the blitz. It lasted a long time because plywood is actually quite sturdy and people's Nans take care of their furniture. I honestly think you would struggle to get a full good quality MCM set of furniture in the UK at any price, the only people who could have afforded it at the time will have got rid of if it in the 1960s and they would have just thrown it away.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

learnincurve posted:

The problem is that the well made stuff never existed in anywhere like the same quantities in the U.K. as it did in America. Furniture of that period has the same style, but it was mass produced in old aircraft factories out of plywood and veneer to replace furniture that had burnt up in the blitz. It lasted a long time because plywood is actually quite sturdy and people's Nans take care of their furniture. I honestly think you would struggle to get a full good quality MCM set of furniture in the UK at any price, the only people who could have afforded it at the time will have got rid of if it in the 1960s and they would have just thrown it away.

Could also be this too, if the stuff I interacted with was more flimsy than you'd find in the US that will have become associated with the spindly designs for me.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's more that the style necessitates it. Thin legs, thin veneer doors, no runners or soft stops etc. It's more likely that I have different standards to what I consider practical. I would not feel comfortable putting my feet up on an MCM table, or knocking into a leg while moving a chair, or doing many of the incidental things life does to furniture, no matter how well made they are.

I do those things to my MCM furniture all the time. It's wood, it's fine. Again, the good stuff isn't made of "thin veneer." It's made of wood. You know trees? Those, but in rectangle form.

learnincurve posted:

Yeah I'm sure you're right, although it's surprising to me since the UK's so much closer to the countries where they were making the really good stuff, like Denmark. But it's easy to forget how economically catastrophic WWII was for the UK and how long it took to recover.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I do those things to my MCM furniture all the time. It's wood, it's fine. Again, the good stuff isn't made of "thin veneer." It's made of wood. You know trees? Those, but in rectangle form.

No you're right, nobody's ever made weak furniture out of wood.

But I'm glad you have solid furniture that you like the look of, every piece I've dealt with has felt cheap and even if it didn't I still don't like the way it looks.

I don't think it's worthwhile distinguishing between "all MCM furniture" and "all MCM furniture I have seen or am ever likely to see". There's no useful difference from where I'm sat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It took a long long time for a large part the general population to see anything but basic and functional as something other than "wasteful". War, general strikes, recession, makes it the mid 1990s when we actually fully recovered and started to come in line with America.

Did you know....

In the 1970s we saw the rise of brown, Avocado, green, mustard and orange in design. This happened because those were the basic colours Rover used on their cars. The heavily unionised factory workers in brum simply walked into the store rooms, stole the paint and decorated their houses with it. For some ungodly reason that palette ended up spreading across the world, and all because Kevin wanted some free paint for his mam's house.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jaded Burnout posted:

No you're right, nobody's ever made weak furniture out of wood.

But I'm glad you have solid furniture that you like the look of, every piece I've dealt with has felt cheap and even if it didn't I still don't like the way it looks.

I don't think it's worthwhile distinguishing between "all MCM furniture" and "all MCM furniture I have seen or am ever likely to see". There's no useful difference from where I'm sat.

Oh I'm sure there's a long, long list of things you don't think are worthwhile.

learnincurve posted:

It took a long long time for a large part the general population to see anything but basic and functional as something other than "wasteful". War, general strikes, recession, makes it the mid 1990s when we actually fully recovered and started to come in line with America.

Did you know....

In the 1970s we saw the rise of brown, Avocado, green, mustard and orange in design. This happened because those were the basic colours Rover used on their cars. The heavily unionised factory workers in brum simply walked into the store rooms, stole the paint and decorated their houses with it. For some ungodly reason that palette ended up spreading across the world, and all because Kevin wanted some free paint for his mam's house.

I gotta level, that doesn't sound like the sort of story that's true, but I hope it is because it's hilarious. Can you even get automotive paint to stick to walls?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh I'm sure there's a long, long list of things you don't think are worthwhile.

:rolleyes:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

I'd think the extra light you'd get from knocking out the arches in the kitchen would be worth it. Go American and put in an island/breakfast bar, or just leave the cabinets since you don't need to move them to make room for a table. Also my folks bought a house with a bunch of yellow pine for the floors and trim; some rugs and new paint that contrasted with the wood more toned it all down a lot.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Since MCM is the cool, popular, Pinterest-likeable thing now, a bunch of companies produce cheap lovely MCM furniture to sell to people. I don't think anyone complaining about cheap MCM furniture is talking about the Eames.

All you have to do is walk into a West Elm to find hordes of cheaply-made, "inspired-by" furniture. It will fall apart and die out like everything else.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The veneer stuff is still around and will be the budget buy for a lot of people. I'm going to continue to roll in my extravagance.

My goal is to score an Eames that needs work. Was really close to one for $40. I like having projects and physical labor.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

*pops out from behind Kessler screen* Did someone say Mid-Century Modern?

Let's see what's for sale in Ohio:

5,000+ sf with an indoor pool for $500k

Awesome architecture for $550k

the interior is updated and bland though :(

A house on 10 acres in a national park with cool built-ins for $589k

yes, these are all real drawers/cabinets AND there's a huge walk-in closet

A huge house with THIS BATHROOM for $799k

in conclusion, Ohio is cheap

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Southern Heel posted:

Aw thanks buddy :) Wife and I really liked it, even though it needs a bit of modernising IMO. I'm really not a fan of the green walls - doing some quick colour swatches in Photoshop however, I'm not sure what WOULD work. Not chopping up LDK, because the K is already separate. I'm thinking of making the K bigger by bashing thru that arched wall - but then not entirely sure what I'd do with the space I've gained in the LD area if I'm not going to use it for a dining table!

In terms of flow it seems like it would make more sense to take out the wall between the kitchen and existing dining area, and extending the kitchen along the wall there. Then the area behind the arches could be used for your new bathroom or whatever. That would mean moving all your counters and cupboards though, so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Youth Decay posted:

in conclusion, Ohio is cheap

I have this tub, except my blue mosaic has gold on it.

This is way cooler

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SA has ruined me. I can no longer look at a sunken tub without worrying about the state of the joists. :ohdear:

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 24, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Facebook Aunt posted:

SA has ruined me. I can no longer look at a sunken tub without worrying about the state of the joists. :ohdea:

Ernst Payer was probably more careful about that than the esteemed architect bEatmstrJ.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is literally Cameron's father's house from Ferris Bueller, right? I'm not going crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

Bad Munki posted:

This is literally Cameron's father's house from Ferris Bueller, right? I'm not going crazy?

Wasn't that just the garage?