Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Radish posted:

Ahh ok that makes a lot more sense.

The question is now whether they want to try for a third round since two rounds of juries have failed to rule on a blatantly obvious case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Radish posted:

Ahh ok that makes a lot more sense.

sorry, I was wrong

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The question is now whether they want to try for a third round since two rounds of juries have failed to rule on a blatantly obvious case.

There is recourse. Jail the defense in contempt of court and try again.

I know this comes across as massively authoritarian, but the defense pulled illegal poo poo in that courtroom.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
nvm.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

from some of the other articles: it appears that one of the defendants blatantly ignored the judge's rulings on what testimony was admissible, and kept trying to talk about inadmissible stuff. the prosecution objected and the judge eventually threw him off the stand.

the jury felt they were not getting the full story as a result, and said as much in post-verdict interviews

That should have been grounds for a mistrial. Clearly the ruse worked.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Because I am now a blindness truther, I have to ask if Trump was reading off a teleprompter at all last night.

Apparently he spent 15 minutes reading off some index cards, so maybe it's back to the drawing board on this theory.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Feynman would be pilloried today as wildly sexist

He probably admit it and apologize but still

Ernestine also notably treated quite a few of the women in his life pretty shabbily.

The Jerk.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump continuing to poo poo on sitting Republican senators, and McTurtle in particular, fills my heart with joy.

What an unexpected bonus. If Hillary had won McConnell would have stuck around forever playing the Leader of the party of "No", but now he's having his reputation and legacy dragged through the mud and I have to say, what a real treat

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Apparently he spent 15 minutes reading off some index cards, so maybe it's back to the drawing board on this theory.

He looked at them, yes, but the lines were fed to him via earpiece from his lizard person handlers.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Blitz7x posted:

What an unexpected bonus. If Hillary had won McConnell would have stuck around forever playing the Leader of the party of "No", but now he's having his reputation and legacy dragged through the mud and I have to say, what a real treat

Quite. It's a shame the main course is a pile of dog poo poo garnished with bird poo poo, but at least the bread is delightful.

It's amazing how well Red Lobster continues to work as an allegory for this administration.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CommieGIR posted:

True, but at the same time he also encouraged his sister to go into science. He was more a womanizer than anything else.

He's an example of someone where the "for his time" defense makes sense: he had a mixed record overall but with some real positives to go along with the negatives and, *when he was consciously thinking about it,* seems to have meant well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dr_rat posted:

Ernestine also notably treated quite a few of the women in his life pretty shabbily.

The Jerk.

Einstein, but yes :smith:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's an example of someone where the "for his time" defense makes sense: he had a mixed record overall but with some real positives to go along with the negatives and, *when he was consciously thinking about it,* seems to have meant well.

Yeah, Feynman was largely a product of a society that encouraged such views, but somehow he still managed to get his sister encouraged enough to carry out PhD work at a time when women were just breaking the mold in science. Her work is awesome by the way, she did studies on the Auroras.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Cingulate posted:

Yeah but speaking as a scientist, that's how most scientists are. Sure, you can demand more from a science communicator who tweets that poo poo to millions of people. But still, think of context. Think of the alternatives. Think of all the people tweeting creationism, climate science denial, actually truly, deeply, idiotic stuff.
It's not optimal, but if you read it as a call for more focus on evidence and scientific reasoning, it's not that bad a point.
And at the end of it: let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

It's actually not a useful point at all.

It's true that the climate policy debate is driven mostly by what people think about the solutions to climate problems, which must necessarily include expanded regulation of industry. But NDP in that tweet actually suggests that constitutional law is the tool that we should use to ensure that policy is "evidence based". Requiring policy making to be based on evidence works to some extent at the administrative level, but would you really want to have judges telling congress itself "no sorry, I judge this statute not to be sufficiently evidence based, therefore unconstitutional"? That would be a gross hijacking of democracy by technocrats.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Blitz7x posted:

Shortly after the election, I posted on Facebook that in 4 years, Republicans will have wished that Hillary won the election, and my Republican friends laughed. I'm looking forward to bringing that post up again in 2020. If Hillary was president, the GOP likely would have made 2018 gains, we'd have endless investigations and Benghazi poo poo, and she would not be favored to win re-election in 2020.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It doesn't matter how much evidence you have, because scientists are by and large morons outside of their selected field but still are treated as an authority on everything. See: Ben Carson, brilliant neurosurgeon, dogshit everything else.

Scientists fall into the trap of believing they are good at everything more than anything, and there are a huge number of them that believe in the conspiracy theories as well. You can indeed find scientists that believe that the earth is flat. They just happen to be in completely different fields.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, Feynman was largely a product of a society that encouraged such views
I'm building this on not much more than the books and his wiki bio, but: no, I think it's coming from 1. his wife dying, slowly, over years, while he cared for her, which must have left him in a lot of pain and some sort of emptiness, 2. him re-discovering by his own methods and intellects what other people already know by their upbringing.

CommieGIR posted:

Einstein, but yes :smith:
Arguably, Einstein was simply a dick, not a sexist.

Ogmius815 posted:

It's true that the climate policy debate is driven mostly by what people think about the solutions to climate problems, which must necessarily include expanded regulation of industry. But NDP in that tweet actually suggests that constitutional law is the tool that we should use to ensure that policy is "evidence based". Requiring policy making to be based on evidence works to some extent at the administrative level, but would you really want to have judges telling congress itself "no sorry, I judge this statute not to be sufficiently evidence based, therefore unconstitutional"? That would be a gross hijacking of democracy by technocrats.
No of course, I agree with all that. I mean, if you don't read the tweet as literally calling for a Gelehrtenrepublik, but as a call for more evidence and scientific reasoning, it's not a bad tweet.
Just like when you say "eat the rich", you don't mean "literally eat rich people", you mean "a more progressive tax system" or whatever.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It doesn't matter how much evidence you have, because scientists are by and large morons outside of their selected field but still are treated as an authority on everything. See: Ben Carson, brilliant neurosurgeon, dogshit everything else.

Scientists fall into the trap of believing they are good at everything more than anything, and there are a huge number of them that believe in the conspiracy theories as well. You can indeed find scientists that believe that the earth is flat. They just happen to be in completely different fields.
Yeah, more or less.
(Although note scientists are by and large firmly on the left.)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

And things that are considered science today might be found not science by new discoveries later on.

Not to mention scientific consensus can be manipulated by the non scientific to push agendas. The last thing science as a whole needs is to be politicized or used in political arenas.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radish posted:

Sounds like that should be a mistrial if the jury is admitting to considering stuff that was inadmissible but I don't know anything about how this stuff actually works.

once a jury returns a verdict of not guilty, there's nothing you can do even if a juror goes on national tv and admits that every member of the jury was bribed to return that verdict

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I would rather have democracy be hijacked by technocrats than idiots, personally

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

That should have been grounds for a mistrial. Clearly the ruse worked.

yeah

the government is not sending its best people here, apparently

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gnossiennes posted:

I think you might be confusing AutoDesk's CAD software Fusion 360 (which is a very good CAD tool!) with Fusion GPS!

drat phone autocorrect knows more about what I usually type than I do

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's kind of why I highlighted Sagan and Feynman: Feynman was notorious for excelling in multiple fields and expanding his horizons and tended to not wander into Conspiracy theory stuff like Linus Pauling did, and Sagan, while he had his faults, at least tended to have even non-astrophysics facts correct.

Cingulate posted:

I'm building this on not much more than the books and his wiki bio, but: no, I think it's coming from 1. his wife dying, slowly, over years, while he cared for her, which must have left him in a lot of pain and some sort of emptiness, 2. him re-discovering by his own methods and intellects what other people already know by their upbringing.

Arguably, Einstein was simply a dick, not a sexist.

Yes and yes. Einstein was pretty much a dick to you if you were not an intellectual equal. He tended to respond well to Curie, but other women he did not.

There's a strong chance Feynman was a high functioning autistic as well, which could explain how ingrained some of his social behaviors became. He was very socially awkward.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 23, 2017

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

There is something thrilling, almost Illuminati conspiracy theory level in the fact that it seems as if people are putting hidden messages in their resignation. Trump is really hated for everyone to go through this effort.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

evilweasel posted:

once a jury returns a verdict of not guilty, there's nothing you can do even if a juror goes on national tv and admits that every member of the jury was bribed to return that verdict

and it's a damned good thing too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

was catching up with this thread reading through last night's insanity, managed to catch one page at the appropriate time.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

evilweasel posted:

yeah

the government is not sending its best people here, apparently

To be fair what can you do to stop that?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radish posted:

To be fair what can you do to stop that?

you move for a mistrial after the witness's testimony, instead of taking it to a verdict. but you can't get a mistrial after the verdict.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Convergence posted:

I would rather have democracy be hijacked by technocrats than idiots, personally

"a society so riven that the spirit of moderation is gone, no court can save; that a society where that spirit flourishes, no court need save; that in a society which evades its responsibility by thrusting upon the courts the nurture of that spirit, that spirit in the end will perish." That applies just as well to scientific experts as the guardians as it applies to courts.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Fluffdaddy posted:

And things that are considered science today might be found not science by new discoveries later on.

It's not that they won't be considered science, it's that they will be considered to be bad or incomplete models. Incorrect conclusions following the scientific method, that are later overturned by additional applications of the scientific method, are still science.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Not to mention scientific consensus can be manipulated by the non scientific to push agendas. The last thing science as a whole needs is to be politicized or used in political arenas.

Science is absolutely political where it attempts to make recommendations on policy (as it should when it comes to epidemiology, medicine, sociology, criminology, the environment, energy, education and like a million other areas). Assuming that science is not or should not be political is nonsense, given the fact that we want more scientific contributions to political decision-making, not less.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lol, does Boing Boing read the thread?

Carl Sagan sadly still dead

vs the twitter slapfight that Tyson had.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Who would Sessions hate more?

Tyson because he's black?

Or

Sagan because he smoked a lot of pot?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cru Jones posted:

Who would Sessions hate more?

Tyson because he's black?

Or

Sagan because he smoked a lot of pot?

sagan, sessions hates pot more than he hates black people which is why once he found out the kkk smoked weed he stopped liking them

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

The sad truth is that a Trump victory, as we see it now, is in some ways better than a Hillary one.

Yes, he has hosed up a lot of the executive branch wherever he could get his hands on it, but electing Hillary probably would have just delayed the inevitable. She was unpopular as hell, we'd have had four years of -ghazi investigations as republicans came up with everything under the sun to go after her. In 2018 the democrats would lose further in the house and senate (historically the president's party loses anyway) and in 2020 the republicans likely could have beaten her if they nominated someone who isn't an orange clown. Which means that we'd just be where we are now in 2020, but with an executive who isn't a dumpster fire at getting anything done.

This of course, assumes democrats can get their poo poo together to win in 2018, and nominate someone who people actually give a poo poo about in 2020. Which... yeah. But I have hope!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Well, to be optimistic candidate recruitment for 2018 is going swimmingly and despite the DNC flopping around the D-trip (which is actually responsible for funding congressional campaigns, unlike the DNC) has plenty of money.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Pembroke Fuse posted:

It's not that they won't be considered science, it's that they will be considered to be bad or incomplete models. Incorrect conclusions following the scientific method, that are later overturned by additional applications of the scientific method, are still science.

Science is absolutely political where it attempts to make recommendations on policy (as it should when it comes to epidemiology, medicine, sociology, criminology, the environment, energy, education and like a million other areas). Assuming that science is not or should not be political is nonsense, given the fact that we want more scientific contributions to political decision-making, not less.

Science was once used as a cudgel against black folks in the United States to show us as mentally inferior. That was less than a century ago. How can you ask me to trust that it won't happen again.

Sure things like climate change are obvious and should push policy. But I am not going to sit here and push for all science to be part of the political process

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Caros posted:

The sad truth is that a Trump victory, as we see it now, is in some ways better than a Hillary one.

Yes, he has hosed up a lot of the executive branch wherever he could get his hands on it, but electing Hillary probably would have just delayed the inevitable. She was unpopular as hell, we'd have had four years of -ghazi investigations as republicans came up with everything under the sun to go after her. In 2018 the democrats would lose further in the house and senate (historically the president's party loses anyway) and in 2020 the republicans likely could have beaten her if they nominated someone who isn't an orange clown. Which means that we'd just be where we are now in 2020, but with an executive who isn't a dumpster fire at getting anything done.

This of course, assumes democrats can get their poo poo together to win in 2018, and nominate someone who people actually give a poo poo about in 2020. Which... yeah. But I have hope!

Man it would have sucked to have a president mired in scandal and investigation

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

From PPP:

https://twitter.com/geoffgarin/status/900396768201986048

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Convergence posted:

Technocrats *are* idiots.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

evilweasel posted:

Can you at least try that Junior for something. Taking a bribe for a verdict feels like it needs to be at least contempt of court, right?

Then all you need to do is dress up the original person on trial to look like the juror and after a quick 22 minute of light sitcom'esk comedy hi-jinks they'll end up in jail where they belong. Hoorah! Justice done!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure the empirical evidence shows that scientists choosing not to also be science communicators was a huge mistake.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Science was once used as a cudgel against black folks in the United States to show us as mentally inferior. That was less than a century ago. How can you ask me to trust that it won't happen again.

Sure things like climate change are obvious and should push policy. But I am not going to sit here and push for all science to be part of the political process

Yup, if you empower "science" you immediately also politicize it. You can't just put up a sign that says "check your power at the door."

• Locked thread