Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

I didn't skim your post. I read every word of it.

Nah, you didn't. You're biting down hard on something again, without backing up and realising. Take a beat.

XK posted:

You literally blamed bad questions for Brian Chambers' inability to answer anything.

Nope, that's not what happened. That's your transference. Stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Early 4.0 test video showing a commando navigating a proc-gen city.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRZ2Sh5-XuM

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

XK posted:

You literally blamed bad questions for Brian Chambers' inability to answer anything.

quote:

I've already spent too much time on this and haven't hit a "I don't know" yet

:confused:

i think you might be reading things that aren't there, friend, not everyone who says a thing you disagree with is a chris roberts alt

I watched the first 4 questions of an interview that presumably asks more than 4 questions, 3 of which were either "really stupid questions to be asking someone who's got 'engine developer' in his job title" or "no poo poo he's not going to give a straight answer to that, have you not been paying attention for the last 6 years"

you're apparently assuming that because I commented on the first 4 questions, I'm espousing a full "every single question in the interview was stupid so chambers is perfect and fine" defense, which I'm not because I still haven't watched the rest of it yet

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Thank you kindly for the new avatar, whoever.

:tipshat:

You're welcome

SA Avatar War stats

Changed (me) x 12 @ $5

Changed (them) x4 (Variable 5, Lazrin, big nipples big life, Jobbo Fett) @ $9.95

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

http://i.imgur.com/7o6p1eb.mp4

Hate and despair.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Even their fake-rear end "look, we really do have planets" level is complete loving trash, lol

Also lol @ them insisting that it's actually a full planet with seamless transitions to and from space, it's just limited in such a way to make it indistinguishable from a fake-rear end planet level because...

And the best part is that citizens will eat it up, because doing otherwise would require admitting that they made a mistake. Keep on shoveling money into this dumpster fire, idiots

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I am sorry for your loss MOMA.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

the look of a man who knows the only reason anyone at his place of work cares is because it's a convenient distraction from the content they're calling a game

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hav posted:

Nope, that's not what happened. That's your transference. Stop it.

quote:

"what's one of the bugs that you and your team handled that people are super amped to see"? what kind of dumbass question is that

quote:

"you work at one of the studios, what are your people responsible for in this build specifically?"
checks google
"Brian Chambers - Development Director" - "Foundry 42 (Engine and Technology Development"
The streamers should know this poo poo better than I do and again, what kind of dumbass question is that?

quote:

haven't hit a "I don't know yet" but I assume the questions get progressively more dumb

He totally glossed over Chambers' non-answers. None of the questions were out of line. I asked him to quote one out of line (dumb as dogshit) question, and he spent more effort accusing me of not understanding his post than it would've taken to quote a bad question. He didn't hear an "I don't know" in a session full of them.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Brian knows he can't answer any real questions while Chris is in the press box saying contradictory things.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D_Smart posted:

You're welcome

SA Avatar War stats

Changed (me) x 12 @ $5

Changed (them) x4 (Variable 5, Lazrin, big nipples big life, Jobbo Fett) @ $9.95

Have to hand it to you Dear Uncle, you give full accounting.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

What the gently caress was any of this poo poo? What have they been doing for a year?
This is what happens when you outsource big portions of a massive project. This is what happens when all experienced developers with shipped games leave your project. This is what happens when you've been stuck in perpetual crunch mode. This is what happens when you promise, collect pre-orders for said promises, and then begin to try and prototype those promises into existence. This is what happens when you have no firm design docs to guide your project. This is what happens when you put graphics above gameplay. This is what happens when you pick your engine for cinematic feel. This is what happens when you constantly redesign existing assets because they "aren't good enough."

Star Citizen is what happens.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MilesK posted:

Brian knows he can't answer any real questions while Chris is in the press box saying contradictory things.

In a few years Robert's box will be made of cardboard.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Foo Diddley posted:

Even their fake-rear end "look, we really do have planets" level is complete loving trash, lol

Also lol @ them insisting that it's actually a full planet with seamless transitions to and from space, it's just limited in such a way to make it indistinguishable from a fake-rear end planet level because...

And the best part is that citizens will eat it up, because doing otherwise would require admitting that they made a mistake. Keep on shoveling money into this dumpster fire, idiots

Wait! There's more. Friday is just a noisy distraction, but with Almighty Chris Roberts.

It's going to be HILARIOUS to see how they explain a presentation with Chris Roberts showing stuff that's "disabled" in the Wed/Thurs stream, but is somehow magically "working" in the Friday build.

Not to mention that whole thing about them being disabled in order to have people "see & interact with each other"

And this isn't even the apex of the E.L.E. No, that's still coming.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Can we just applaud Chris Roberts for fleecing millions from fat nerds by selling digital jpegs and has the balls to now fleece millions more from small printed jpegs?

Lol

We need to hit back with a collectable limited edition Derek Smart avatar trading game.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:confused:

i think you might be reading things that aren't there, friend, not everyone who says a thing you disagree with is a chris roberts alt

I watched the first 4 questions of an interview that presumably asks more than 4 questions, 3 of which were either "really stupid questions to be asking someone who's got 'engine developer' in his job title" or "no poo poo he's not going to give a straight answer to that, have you not been paying attention for the last 6 years"

you're apparently assuming that because I commented on the first 4 questions, I'm espousing a full "every single question in the interview was stupid so chambers is perfect and fine" defense, which I'm not because I still haven't watched the rest of it yet

Maybe I was hasty, and you're just way too generous. I genuinely apologize if that's the case.

Brian Chambers runs the studio responsible for engine and technology development. The very same studio often cited for all the huge developments CIG is holding back in secret. He had no answer to anything. It's inexcusable.

If you didn't watch anything beyond the first few minutes, you didn't witness the depth of everything he didn't know. It really was a completely disastrous showing.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

"Concept sales will continue until community morale improves!"

-VP Marketing, circa Aug 2017

(Source: Br0wnH0rn3t, reddit)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

TheAgent posted:

This is what happens when you outsource big portions of a massive project. This is what happens when all experienced developers with shipped games leave your project. This is what happens when you've been stuck in perpetual crunch mode. This is what happens when you promise, collect pre-orders for said promises, and then begin to try and prototype those promises into existence. This is what happens when you have no firm design docs to guide your project. This is what happens when you put graphics above gameplay. This is what happens when you pick your engine for cinematic feel. This is what happens when you constantly redesign existing assets because they "aren't good enough."

Star Citizen is what happens.

Quoting this for truth. :)

It's all begining to catch up with them, I'm sure there's some hastily hacked together SQ42 footage that'll get dusted off and aired in the event of the next day or two going as poorly as today.

Either that or it's time for a tirademark Crobblers ship salesmanship video where once again he leverages his experience of the second hand car industry and sells lemons to morons by the cartload, until someone shouts "shame on you".

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
It must be loving disappointing that whoever is changing my avatar, only gets 1 or 2 views before I change it back. That's 2 within the past 20 mins.

Seriously, if I see it, don't like it, I will change it. This is the SA fundraising drive, and I have a budget you're never - ever - going to beat. Like, at all.

SA Avatar War stats

Changed (me) x 12 @ $5

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

http://i.imgur.com/axm6r58.mp4

A cake, violated.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Seriously, if I see it, don't like it, I will change it. This is the SA fundraising drive, and I have a budget you're never - ever - going to beat. Like, at all.

<head in hands>

Seriously, you *do* understand the Streisand effect?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The current top hot post in Reddit is some poor guy giving away his account because he's going to die before the game is released... :(

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

D_Smart posted:

It must be loving disappointing that whoever is changing my avatar, only gets 1 or 2 views before I change it back. That's 2 within the past 20 mins.

SA Avatar War stats

Changed (me) x 12 @ $5

This avatar is the best, just leave it be

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone said fart shitizen lol

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

teh_Broseph posted:

Has anyone said fart shitizen lol

we are PRO sc, so no. ofc not.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

Have to hand it to you Dear Uncle, you give full accounting.

And not only did we not ask for it, we don't care either!

#humblebrag

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

He totally glossed over Chambers' non-answers. None of the questions were out of line. I asked him to quote one out of line (dumb as dogshit) question, and he spent more effort accusing me of not understanding his post than it would've taken to quote a bad question. He didn't hear an "I don't know" in a session full of them.

Yeah, you're doubling down on being right when you're very, very wrong. Now get your junk out and start rubbing. There's a lack of rubbing in this thread.

XK posted:

It really was a completely disastrous showing.

Yep, it was, and there ain't nobody defending it. Not one person.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Man, Derek sure is angry at people buying him avatars :allears:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

AP posted:

We need to hit back with a collectable limited edition Derek Smart avatar trading game.

Some preliminary archered artwork for the vending machine that caught Dereks ire.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

D_Smart posted:

At this point standing on the corner screaming the Moon Nazis are coming seems more credible.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Currently /r/DerekSmart is furiously yelling at words in Derek's sentences about Gamescon and /r/Starcitizen is clutching at ships in the foetal position.

This is the best timeline :yarg:

edit: taxxe

Orange cat can see you typing.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I still don't understand why they haven't sold virtual land yet? Own your piece on Delamar.
or like buy an outpost, now only 450 and for 50 extra you get the air rights as well.

CIG is bad at a lot of things, but they are not totally "Marketing Dumb"

Shroud of the Avatar was doing this but they recently made the news in a very bad light.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6elvda/after_rereading_everything_in_seedinvest_im_about/

Archeage is also doing this and is making the news in a very bad light due to server merges impacting vitual lands value (They dont sell lands directly like SHOA but the sell "right to lands" wich is close)

https://www.reddit.com/r/archeage/comments/5hshjg/why_2_fresh_start_servers/

Looks like "virtual lands" is harder to handle than anyone would have guessed in a western market game virtual economy.

It would also yet increase the huge technical debt they have accumulated so far and i think they have (after 5 years) finally realised that its a bad thing.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

D_Smart posted:

why don't you actually call it for once. If its specific and mostly right I'll buy myself the dumbest avatar of your chosing.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Lol. I was traveling most of the day and missed all streams. But this is hilarious and better (funnier) than expected.

Did they explain why this "totally 3.0 build" was deemed ok to skip their backer's testing layers (avocados, PTU) and just splatter it all over the Gamescom floor?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

He and Ben eat cake the same way.

Like loving animals.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

why don't you actually call it for once. If its specific and mostly right I'll buy myself the dumbest avatar of your chosing.

But then he'll look stupid when it doesn't happen.

As opposed to right now, when he looks stupid for other reasons.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

Lol. I was traveling most of the day and missed all streams. But this is hilarious and better (funnier) than expected.

Did they explain why this "totally 3.0 build" was deemed ok to skip their backer's testing layers (avocados, PTU) and just splatter it all over the Gamescom floor?

They're calling the Cryengine level on Planet Turd a "Limited 3.0 Demo" . They admitted in the stream that there will be no sign of "actual 3.0" this week.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

smellmycheese posted:

They're calling the Cryengine level on Planet Turd a "Limited 3.0 Demo" . They admitted in the stream that there will be no sign of "actual 3.0" this week.

Well, duh! Have you noobs been following the tracker at all? September at the earliest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Hav posted:

Yeah, you're doubling down on being right when you're very, very wrong. Now get your junk out and start rubbing. There's a lack of rubbing in this thread.

Yep, it was, and there ain't nobody defending it. Not one person.

I can see where he might've been coming from, if he only saw the first few minutes. The only thing I really took major issue with was blaming the questions. A studio lead should be able to answer even stupid questions. That just didn't sit right with me.