Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I gotta listen to people of color AND actively confront racist whites???!? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sorry lady, I can't hear about your struggles today, I already told off a trump supporter and my quota is met. Try again tomorrow.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Dr Cheeto posted:

I gotta listen to people of color AND actively confront racist whites???!? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?????

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I don't care about this detail but are agreeing with the Klurfsman?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I don't care about this detail but are agreeing with the Klurfsman?

God I hope not, these "hehe" comics are relentlessly bigoted.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dr Cheeto posted:

Confronting racism isn't enough you also have to defer to minorities while not making them lead because they are too tied. Wait why are you leaving I have more conditions to be an ally

Still don't see the problem with this it describes a lot of boring white artist webcomics
The fact that the other comics are so tone deaf and dumb is weird tho

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Darth Windu posted:

Confronting racism isn't enough you also have to defer to minorities while not making them lead because they are too tied. Wait why are you leaving I have more conditions to be an ally

One black person told me one thing but another told me another thing and I'm incapable of reconciling them into a comprehensive idea of how to be a good ally so I'm taking my toys and going home.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dr Cheeto posted:

One black person told me one thing but another told me another thing and I'm incapable of reconciling them into a comprehensive idea of how to be a good ally so I'm taking my toys and going home.

Yea maybe they should get their poo poo together

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Darth Windu posted:

Yea maybe they should get their poo poo together

Yes, I agree, we should help black people but only after they all agree on one best solution for this enormously complex problem.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dr Cheeto posted:

The gently caress do you expect from a dude who jumped into the thread just to talk about how black people are forcing him not to support them, denies voter suppression, preaches :biotruths:, and genuinely thinks Seth Rich was murdered?

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 23, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Vib Rib posted:

The gently caress do you expect from a dude who just jumped into the thread just to talk about how black people are forcing him not to support them, denies voter suppression, preaches :biotruths:, and genuinely thinks Seth Rich was murdered?

Welp that'll teach me for not checking out post histories before engaging

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Darth Windu posted:

Expecting all the work of confronting racism to happen without your involvement isn't being an ally.

Not listening to people's problems isn't being an ally.

Expecting people to come to you to tell you how to be an ally rather than seeking to help and to learn isn't being an ally.

Hope this helps!

Working on behalf of people is simple. You put in a good faith effort to understand their problems, and work to remedy them. If they say that you aren't helping or you're dislocating your shoulder patting yourself on the back for doing the bare minimum, you don't get angry because you're doing it because it's right, you try to understand if the criticism is valid.

Edit:If anybody who's actually engaging in good faith has questions, then feel free to keep going. This isn't for this guy's benefit though.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 23, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Crabtree posted:

Dog don't know anything. He's just there for walkies and isn't allowed to go sniff the people in prison clothes.

So, you're saying he was just following orders?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 23, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
That's a pretty good Jimmy McGill

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

Still don't see the problem with this it describes a lot of boring white artist webcomics

I think the artist is suggesting that liberals/sjws don't care about creating good character for their comics but are concerned with stereotypes/depictions. It's funny because the artist draws everyone as stereotype strawmen so lol.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sandpuppy posted:

Was it as glorious as Garrison's?

he thought cruz was seductive :barf:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Darth Windu posted:

If your opinion aligns with a neo nazi's the problem is probably with you and not people making a big deal about the opinion.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Kurtofan posted:

One of the better election subplots: there were news articles by Neurologist experts explaining why Cruz's face is disgusting and untrustworthy on a primitive level.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

remember when Muir found a photoshop someone had made of Ted Cruz's head on a tattooed bodybuilder's body and started acting like that was Ted Cruz's real body and Ted Cruz was a sex symbol who all the ladies love

DMCrimson posted:

One of the better election subplots: there were news articles by Neurologist experts explaining why Cruz's face is disgusting and untrustworthy on a primitive level.

There were many reasons why support of Ted Cruz was completely nonsensical, but foremost among them to me was the apparent desire to see Ted Cruz's face and hear his voice on TV every time a current event happened :psyduck:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

If your opinion aligns with a neo nazi's the problem is probably with you and not people making a big deal about the opinion.

Thinking that lazy cartoonists use a characters minority identity in lieu of writing an actually interesting character is not a nazi opinion my dude.like look at stantis

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

xthetenth posted:

Expecting all the work of confronting racism to happen without your involvement isn't being an ally.

Not listening to people's problems isn't being an ally.

Expecting people to come to you to tell you how to be an ally rather than seeking to help and to learn isn't being an ally.

Hope this helps!

Working on behalf of people is simple. You put in a good faith effort to understand their problems, and work to remedy them. If they say that you aren't helping or you're dislocating your shoulder patting yourself on the back for doing the bare minimum, you don't get angry because you're doing it because it's right, you try to understand if the criticism is valid.

Edit:If anybody who's actually engaging in good faith has questions, then feel free to keep going. This isn't for this guy's benefit though.

I've literally estranged myself from half my family calling out their racism but tell me more about how I'm a bad ally

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

JerikTelorian posted:

I think the artist is suggesting that liberals/sjws don't care about creating good character for their comics but are concerned with stereotypes/depictions. It's funny because the artist draws everyone as stereotype strawmen so lol.

I mean that is a genuine problem in webcomics and the like, where the Nazi is being disingenuous is the insinuation that that's inherent to minority characters, rather than a problem with teenagers being mediocre writers.

The Online Left (as opposed to activist groups like BLM that actually engage with the political process) is a total mess and collectively has impossible standards for privileged people to meet to just not be evil, let alone be good, and it's absolutely exhausting. Just look at the mess the McElroys got into with The Adventure Zone's fandom.

It's a goddamn minefield to begin with, and raising the stakes for failure doesn't just make people spend more energy trying to be careful. Without a carrot to go along with the stick most people are just going to decide the risk isn't worth it and invest their energy elsewhere. You moron. You complete imbecile.

E: just to clarify, the Nazi cartoon argues a valid point, but only as a stalking horse for "minorities are bad irl" so it's still monstrous.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 23, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

Thinking that lazy cartoonists use a characters minority identity in lieu of writing an actually interesting character is not a nazi opinion my dude.like look at stantis

I think that this is true in an of itself. Lots of feminists have criticized tokenism and wedging in PoCs without any meaningful things for them to do or be. That's valid.

However, this particular cartoonist is a white nationalist, and is therefore criticizing comics from that perspective. It's just a fig leaf for him to attack PoCs in media. He would not defend well-written PoCs in comics either (in fact, he himself is using PoCs as thin veneers for his racist views).

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

I cannot believe that I am so absorbed in Kelly's life now.

I'm betting the hooter's trip and bringing your alcoholic lovely dad who left when you were a kid are helping your marriage son.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

I cannot believe that I am so absorbed in Kelly's life now.

I'm betting the hooter's trip and bringing your alcoholic lovely dad who left when you were a kid are helping your marriage son.

This actually does a lot to explain his son's reaction to being taken to Hooter's in retrospect: at least he's getting away from his wife

The Kelly narrative is rich and complex

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

DEBT

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

loquacius posted:

This actually does a lot to explain his son's reaction to being taken to Hooter's in retrospect: at least he's getting away from his wife

The Kelly narrative is rich and complex

Man, where's the Kelly wikipedia page? Or hell the Kelly-Wiki.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

"Oh gee I'm just concerned about history :ohdear:" is the new "heritage not hate", it seems.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Well, may as well not teach history then!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Guys would anyone know about the Holocaust if we hadn't put up massive heroic statues of Hitler riding horses everywhere?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only thing I hate more than "holding a giant newspaper with the comic's subject as a headline because the artist is lazy" is "watching TV on the side of the couch because the artist is lazy".

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Nonsense! This is an election year!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

"If it was good enough to terrify The Blacks during Jim Crow, it's good enough to teach Junior."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

Because it's not a comic condemning publishers for putting out diverse, but flat characters in lieu of having diverse hires, it's just whining about diversity period.

Like, death of the author and all that jazz, but the cartoonist's history makes the intent pretty clear.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lord Hydronium posted:

"Oh gee I'm just concerned about history :ohdear:" is the new "heritage not hate", it seems.

I immediately read it as "we should make our schools less racist".

... I AGC'd it despite it being obviously horrible.

EDIT: I mean, it's obvious that this problem goes a lot deeper than the statues - the statues wouldn't be a problem without the racists.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

I've literally estranged myself from half my family calling out their racism but tell me more about how I'm a bad ally

I'm sorry to hear that. I had to stop speaking to my dad for a while because he was a stupid anti-Semite for a while (he got better). Also got into giant fights with in-laws over poo poo like this.

It's complicated. I think it's about knowing when to talk and when to listen. I don't think it's right to tell PoCs how to run their show when we're dealing specifically with issues of race. In that case, they should lead. But it's not useful to rely on PoCs to lead when addressing other white people from the perspective of a white person. i.e. speaking to friends, family and other white people from the perspective of a white person. If PoCs are leading a protest, show up and help out and use your voice to amplify theirs. When you're not a part of that protest, try to deal with other white people on your own.

It sounds like you've already been doing the second part, so more power to you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Darth Windu posted:

Then you aren't the person who's being talked about, so don't get weird about criticism of people who aren't you.

• Locked thread