Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

milk milk lemonade posted:

Saw one of those happen. It's A Thing

Yup, Kuwait for a few of my old friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'd believe it. Signed electronically via cac in the commanders office while he's still got a poorly done IV sticking out of him from a bored medic sergeant from ops who has done exactly 0 medic work since premobilization 6 months ago

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Funniest one was a guy in basic who tried to brave Ft Sill in the summer by 'only drinking ice cold water'.

He got the ice sheet bath pretty quick

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

all apologies posted:

Was in (PE) therapy @ VA but stopped halfway. Going to try again in a few months when outside life is at baseline.

Man that poo poo is hard-work, some mental health puppet-master type poo poo. Just gonna keep going in, I skipped an appointment last week, poo poo was just too loving hard to do.

Hope everyone is well. Anyone around or familiar with Brevard in Florida? I am single now looking to figure this place out here in Melbourne as to where the cool spots are.

*tips fedora

Because I keep meaning to reply to this but get busy..

I sent you a pm a couple months back. Sending it again. I live on the beaches and will give you the real talk about the area.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Good news: first doctor's appointment after getting my wife pregnant and everything is great. Could see the heartbeat on the ultrasound.

Bad news: the baby is due two weeks after I report to mobilization for a deployment to Kuwait with the guard. So I'll probably miss the birth and the first year of my kid's life. gently caress the Army.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Are you the guy whose wife stopped birth control to save money

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

psydude posted:

No, we had been trying for about two years to have a kid.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Then congrats!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
that was such an army.txt exchange between you two lmao

congrats!

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Thanks! I'm pretty excited, despite the deployment crap.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

psydude posted:

Wait.. This needs either further elaboration or a link.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mr_Ruckus posted:

No, we had been trying for about two years to have a kid.

Congrats man.

Careful though. It took 3 years to get our first, including a surgery for me. The first one came after we tried forever but the other two happened from practice. So don't forget to practice safely.

Also, coconut oil is apparently the biggest reason because it's essentially a slip and slide for swimmers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

Then congrats!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Genocide Tendency posted:

Wait.. This needs either further elaboration or a link.

Lingcodkilla I think, and it was earlier this year

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

kids own george owns

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Never mind. Y'all toxic me enough

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'll think I'll wait until I'm like 40 to have kids, too much still to do

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
That av is loving beautiful.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That Av is my favorite thing about this thread.

Are we going to keep updating it to the later one eventually?

Congrats on your future baby, goon guardsman!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

I'll think I'll wait until I'm like 40 to have kids, too much still to do

lol

Good luck being a 50 year old trying to keep up with your elementary school kids.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If I don't have kids by the time I'm 35 I'll probably never have kids unless it's an accident.

Five years left!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
DINK life is pretty good.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

If I don't have kids by the time I'm 35 I'll probably never have kids unless it's an accident.

Five years left!

When I first joined the army as a teen I was thinking on waiting til late to have kids, but somebody told me it was better to have them while you were young enough to play with them (and not be multiple generations removed from them).

My wife, and I, did have our kids in our early 20's and it's nice to know that we'll be empty nesters by our 40's. (instead of just starting a family and not enjoying retirement)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kids sound like a hassle if your job involves any sort of travel. I also grew up in an area where having kids young was basically a ticket to poverty, so I'm leaning more toward being in my early to mid 30s before I entertain having any.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Just loving adopt and deal with someone else's broke brain genetics instead of yours

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Our son will be out of the door in about 10 years, which means that me and my wife will be 37 years old. It's a pretty young age to be empty nested, and we'll be able to do all kinds of cool couple stuff then. Didn't make this one, and I'll never make any, but pretty sweet to have the kiddo at young age, especially down the road.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Have kids but always have a nanny, after school activities and summer camp lined up so you never actually have to interact with them and then complain when they aren't the perfect lifestyle accessory for thought they would be.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Or don't have kids and just do whatever you want, whenever you want.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Monty listens and is better behaved than my neighbor's two year old. And definitely listens and is better behaved than I was as a teenager

And I can leave him at home and not really worry about him burning the place down.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Just loving adopt and deal with someone else's broke brain genetics instead of yours

This is a good choice but the wrong reasons.

I have a broken loving brain, but my kids unconditionally love me, and I may be loving nuts but if I can save my kids from making the same mistakes I'm gonna. I'm not talking about enlisting, but making sure that someone is standing behind them supportive, letting them grow into the humans they WANT to be instead of pushing whatever ideas or beliefs on to them. Having kids is the single best thing that has happened in my life. There are times where it sucks and I'm covered in poo poo and everyone is screaming and I'm vomiting, but there are other times that you can't describe. That feeling you get when you walk into a nice afternoon nap time and everyone is laid out. The feeling that you get when you start to see the behavioral traits or even physical ones take hold. When they start to talk, and ask questions. My 3 year old lies to me to my face, and I ask him if he's lying and he's all "yes!"

Also empty nested at 37? Goddamn that's how old my wife is now. 20 more years before we retire to some small place in the middle of loving nowhere, Italy.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
All the people anticipating being empty-nesters the second their kid hits 18 are pretty drat optimistic

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

This is good advice, Travel before you have kids.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

at the date posted:

All the people anticipating being empty-nesters the second their kid hits 18 are pretty drat optimistic

oh yeah, I'm giving mine 20 years. I have 3, last one was just born 2 months ago.

It's actually kinda rough and I had a hard time adjusting to it because my wife named him after me. I didn't know how to react to it, and was super depressed for a bit because I felt like the kid would hate me for having my name and the only real self worth I have is seen vicariously through my family. My wife explained to me, that despite how loving nuts/crazy/stupid I can be, that I have always measured people based on actions, and that I have one of the best hearts she has seen. For this, she named him my name. I said it was entirely up to her because she wanted to give our last son a normal middle name, but our other children have Albanian middle names, so I wanted them all to be the same. Especially since they are about all 3 years 2 months apart from each other. They are going to probably grow to be a strong unit, and I hope so.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

This is good advice, Travel before you have kids.

?? Why? My kids have been across 3 continents and they aren't even teens yet.

at the date posted:

Local recruiting station will get them right out of the house.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

?? Why? My kids have been across 3 continents and they aren't even teens yet.

you gotta slow your roll with the sex tourism man

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

I just look forward for when they're old enough to mow the yard and wash dishes...

I'm 29 right now so I feel like I'm young enough to be able to play with them. We've been married 5 years so while we weren't able to travel much during that time, we still had fun on our own.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

tastefully arranged labia posted:

you gotta slow your roll with the sex tourism man

?? My kids? That's lovely. Shut the gently caress up.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Five years left!

6 months if you do the smart thing and get a vasectomy.

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

This.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

?? My kids? That's lovely. Shut the gently caress up.

Implying that you have kids in three different continents so uh yeah gently caress you joke killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Implying that you have kids in three different continents so uh yeah gently caress you joke killer

You should have known better than to joke with me. :argh: