Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they love combat micro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
iirc starcraft skill is 90% how good you are at fighting the ui and maybe 10% how good you are at doing rock-paper-scissors against the other guy but people seem to think it's like some sort of lightning speed chess match

"oh hey blue's microed his way into spotting that red is going paper, a variety of options lie open to blue now but our experts definitely think that scissors would be a very strong play here given this new intel"

yeah ok there's a bit of strategy to it but i'm guessing sc players don't train by sitting in a darkened room thinking very intensely about the tactical and strategic implications of 4pool vs 12 hive or whatever the gently caress the canned build orders are called

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

I put a bunch of stuff that we need for the shops on an Amazon wish list that I send to the department purchasing people, so it continuously tells me "treat yourself yourself to a little something: 1L reagent-grade tetrahydrofuran" etc

when I want to buy a thing, I put it in my basket on a bunch of websites and then just wait a couple days for one of them to email some special 30% off coupons or whatever

works p well

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sapozhnik posted:

iirc starcraft skill is 90% how good you are at fighting the ui and maybe 10% how good you are at doing rock-paper-scissors against the other guy but people seem to think it's like some sort of lightning speed chess match

"oh hey blue's microed his way into spotting that red is going paper, a variety of options lie open to blue now but our experts definitely think that scissors would be a very strong play here given this new intel"

yeah ok there's a bit of strategy to it but i'm guessing sc players don't train by sitting in a darkened room thinking very intensely about the tactical and strategic implications of 4pool vs 12 hive or whatever the gently caress the canned build orders are called
they absolutely do and they know timings down to the second so they can interpret the quarter-second glance at a fraction of the enemy base before their scout got quashed, there is a TON of time dedicated to testing and tweaking openings and variations, and because they are all roughly equal (flawless at pro level) when it comes to micro execution in the first 10 minutes so it's 100% strategy and mindgames

e: like if they get a glance at the build bar of any single building, based on the time they can intuit out the entire enemy strategy

e2: I mean I was a masters level sc2 player and I could do that; I wasn't even in the REALM of these people

e3: rip zeez

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 23, 2017

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

this is a lot less untrue of chess than you seem to be implying. high-level chess has stock openings and endgames and even a "meta"

also lol at saying 4 pool and then pretending you're soooo disinterested in starcraft

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
here's you: can you believe people even care about this game when terran reaper strats are so broken right now

here is an actual person who doesn't give a poo poo: why am i looking at a screen full of aliens when i could be making mad gains

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rjmccall posted:

here's you: can you believe people even care about this game when terran reaper strats are so broken right now

here is an actual person who doesn't give a poo poo: why am i looking at a screen full of aliens when i could be making mad gains

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

they absolutely do and they know timings down to the second so they can interpret the quarter-second glance at a fraction of the enemy base before their scout got quashed, there is a TON of time dedicated to testing and tweaking openings and variations, and because they are all roughly equal (flawless at pro level) when it comes to micro execution in the first 10 minutes so it's 100% strategy and mindgames

e: like if they get a glance at the build bar of any single building, based on the time they can intuit out the entire enemy strategy

e2: I mean I was a masters level sc2 player and I could do that; I wasn't even in the REALM of these people

lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
being proud of stupid and pointless things is the human condition

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bhodi posted:

what is it about Blizzard games that makes people so pathetic

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

lucky for amazon their competition is even stupider: my wife orders groceries from one of the supermarket curbside pickup services and their app has an order wizard that suggests items based on your order history. there are multiple items we order every single week that she has to manually find and add each time bc it never suggests them for new orders. really basic poo poo like milk and frozen veggies

guarantee that order wizard is all paid placement

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

a computer will never knoww the joy of taking a dump the morning after a dinner of just a fuckload of lettuce and cabbage and citrus fruit and asparagus and that's kinda sad to me

could you expand on this for my research thx

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

nah not the mass bunny death thing, im talking about the bitcoin guy logansryche who (years ago) ran a virtual charity soliciting donations to buy virtual pet food for virtual animals.

logansryche had mass bunny death when he ran out of fake food and had to "burry" tens of thousands of virtual bunnies

silence_kit posted:

Oh, I thought you had to go to the dealership to do that and that dealership laws are a huge part of the reason why manufacturers cannot provide updates on their websites. Are you getting your update officially & directly from Ford?

I was able to find updates online unofficially for my Mazda, but I don't want to install software from a random website on my car. I couldn't find anything on Mazda's site--they just told me to take it in to the dealer. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

what you're generally thinking of is that most people who would update those cars take it to the dealer. because they're olds that can barely figure out how to type their racisms into facebook, let alone transferring a file from the manufacturer site to a usb drive or other physical media.

similarly, back when those systems would get updated through a DVD you'd place into a hidden second drive (eg with older ford explorers, there was a button thing to press in the menus that would push the screen assembly out and expose a dvd drive for the maps dvd), most people would have the dealer or maybe a mechanic do that, instead of ordering the cd direct from ford to put in themselves

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lancemantis posted:

they love combat micro

combat janitoring

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

when I want to buy a thing, I put it in my basket on a bunch of websites and then just wait a couple days for one of them to email some special 30% off coupons or whatever

works p well

good thing they start with showing you 30% higher prices

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rjmccall posted:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

combat janitoring

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/900425924675592193

:agreed:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

trump making the internet illegal would absolutely make america great again

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gonna guess larger context doesn't help here

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing he's talking about the Army Cyber Warriors

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they're closing down fyad for real this time

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Bhodi posted:

this is why multiplayer starcraft is absolutely impenetrable to new players

the training mode thing they put in sc2 is ridiculous because it basically just babysits you through specific timed actions and then yells at you that you hosed up if you, like, place a pylon a second too early or whatever

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
uber promoted 7 people to VP positions :confused:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ADINSX posted:

It does that for all kinds of poo poo when it should really "know better". Just bought a coffee table? What about ANOTHER COFFEE TABLE! Just bought a new computer? Another computer would go great with that!

It knows I bought the item, and I'm sure they have data on how many people buy a followup item of the same category for different things (i.e when most people buy a coffee table, they don't need another one any time soon, instead maybe people want coffee table books or some candles or something)

So the eclipse glasses are obviously :lol: but the best time to sell to someone (other than immediately before they buy) is right after as the shine comes off but before the returns period ends. Or so I've been told, I don't know anything about sales.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 23, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

the training mode thing they put in sc2 is ridiculous because it basically just babysits you through specific timed actions and then yells at you that you hosed up if you, like, place a pylon a second too early or whatever

i mean, it's impenetrable in the same sense that any video game with a pro circuit is

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
counterstrike is "move around, shoot mans, dont get shot by other mans"

seems p.approachable to me

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

duTrieux. posted:

tutorials are hard

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

is pro gaming even fun to watch over some guy streaming on twitch? I don't generally even enjoy that so maybe I'm not the target audience

actually I wouldn't know where to find find it other than twitch so maybe they're the whole market?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sapozhnik posted:

counterstrike is "move around, shoot mans, dont get shot by other mans"

seems p.approachable to me

my experience playing cs taught me the skills of "aim", "hide behind things", and "mute the middle school boys yelling slurs into their mics"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my experience playing cs taught me the skills of "aim", "hide behind things", and "mute the middle school boys yelling slurs into their mics"

Wonder how long it would take a neural network to learn that second rule

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ADINSX posted:

Wonder how long it would take a neural network to learn that second rule

Never, it would just join them. Remember MS Tay?

https://twitter.com/geraldmellor/status/712880710328139776/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Munkeymon posted:

is pro gaming even fun to watch over some guy streaming on twitch? I don't generally even enjoy that so maybe I'm not the target audience

actually I wouldn't know where to find find it other than twitch so maybe they're the whole market?

i mean they get camera crews and poo poo in there and the big teams are under pressure for million dollar prizes and poo poo. i guess if you were going to watch that at all you'd watch that over Some Guy

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fishmech posted:

logansryche had mass bunny death when he ran out of fake food and had to "burry" tens of thousands of virtual bunnies

what you're generally thinking of is that most people who would update those cars take it to the dealer. because they're olds that can barely figure out how to type their racisms into facebook, let alone transferring a file from the manufacturer site to a usb drive or other physical media.

similarly, back when those systems would get updated through a DVD you'd place into a hidden second drive (eg with older ford explorers, there was a button thing to press in the menus that would push the screen assembly out and expose a dvd drive for the maps dvd), most people would have the dealer or maybe a mechanic do that, instead of ordering the cd direct from ford to put in themselves

when i had a mercury milan it used a DVD for the maps for it's navigation and it owned because whenever a new version came out ford wanted to charge $200 to update it but the ISOs were on torrent sites in a few days and you could just pop them in

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Munkeymon posted:

some big tournaments like ESL do some streaming on YouTube

the appeal of pro gaming is pretty much the same as pro sports

the appeal of streamers is like if your favorite pro athletes wore cameras during practice and talked about what they were doing while doing it/bullshitting with their teammates and the crowd

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Munkeymon posted:

people try to capture some of the market, but lol no we're pretty much it time and time again

ThePeavstenator posted:

the appeal of streamers is like if your favorite pro athletes wore cameras during practice and talked about what they were doing while doing it/bullshitting with their teammates and the crowd

ding ding ding

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cool the av club switched to the gawker blog thing. one more on the pile of crappy infinite scrolling blogs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hifi posted:

cool the av club switched to the gawker blog thing. one more on the pile of crappy infinite scrolling blogs

not only is it a crappy infinite scrolling blog now but they hosed up their ssl certs :laugh:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
is this the thread where the student sc2 ai tournament was linked

those were entertaining matches to watch, some of the AI is really verbose about what it's doing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Munkeymon posted:

is pro gaming even fun

no, pro gaming involves taking a fun activity and destroying it with money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted: