Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Holyshoot posted:

counterpoint: GW2 running animations look like you're ice skating on the ground when you go to change directions rapidly. Which is gross.

What does that have to do with the writing or Canach?

Count-counter-point: I like the charr running animation when their weapons are sheathed. It's cool and I'll accept some awkward direction changing animation as long as they have stuff like that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Rainuwastaken posted:

That would solve most of my issues with the plot, to be honest. Nothing takes me out of the adventure like realizing I could just murder the hundred-or-so people between me and my goal without breaking a sweat, but I can't because I'm supposed to be the good guy or something?

Oh no Magnai and his buddies have threatened us with slavery, if only we were a band of heavily armed fighters led by an unkillable violence-elemental. Guess we'll go milk his sheep!

To be fair, that bugged me when I got to that part, and Magnai's vaguely /r/incel tendencies make it a bit creepier than it was probably meant to be, but it makes enough sense now that I think about it. If you murder half of the Azim Steppe, including the tribe that has most of its fiercest warriors, Hien's not going to have much of an army to lead when he goes marching back into Doma, now is he? Your party is willing to pay lip service to the guy who's king so as to not have him turn all the Xaela against you; presumably if he tried to force the issue he'd find out why pissing off a goddess of war, a ten foot tall unkillable samurai, someone who can punch you across the Cereal Bowl in the Sky, and Hien too I guess is a bad idea.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 23, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that circumvents the other issue, though, which is that canonically we don't really need the azim steppe to liberate doma, unless we're arguing that like fifty garlean soldiers are a mightier foe than like, alexander

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Also, I find it hilarious that people complain how the WoL is a murderhobo but also complain when the character doesn't just murder everything. Like, yeah, could you probably kill the whole Azim Stepped culture in like, a week? Sure, most likely.

But maaaaybe that's not a great idea. Eorzea doesn't need to become Garlemald 2.0 and stomp the entire planet into the ground, right?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

The Gate posted:

But maaaaybe that's not a great idea. Eorzea doesn't need to become Garlemald 2.0 and stomp the entire planet into the ground, right?

I mean, I think that'd be a really cool turn, but I also wish I could set the Churning Mists on fire so

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why would you kill the azim steppe? just circumvent the area entirely. your character is effectively humoring Hien, the alternative wouldn't be 'murder the azim steppe' it would be 'just go liberate doma your drat self'.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

The Gate posted:

Also, I find it hilarious that people complain how the WoL is a murderhobo but also complain when the character doesn't just murder everything. Like, yeah, could you probably kill the whole Azim Stepped culture in like, a week? Sure, most likely.

It wouldn't fit for FF14 at all, but an MMO that ran a storyline where you actually did flip out and become an omnicidal villain systematically murdering the entire world could be interesting.

No, protagonist. YOU are the raid boss.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Obligatum VII posted:

It wouldn't fit for FF14 at all, but an MMO that ran a storyline where you actually did flip out and become an omnicidal villain systematically murdering the entire world could be interesting.

No, protagonist. YOU are the raid boss.

this is the real end game of ffxiv. We give into the prayers of eorzea and become a primal ourselves.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

All of the knowledge in this universe is but a speck in a neuron of your all-encompassing, all-knowing transcendent space brain: Pulling with Provoke, then using Ultimatum to get hate on the rest of the mobs.

Hey now, the WoL has more personality than GW2's (who's just an extension of Trahearne) in spite of having nothing but one-line replies and emotes. gently caress Treesus I hope he gets Dutch Elm Disease and rots away. actually I gather that he's dead now so maybe the new expansion will be better?

I feel kind of awkward that I made a post saying how pretty FFXIV is (besides some SuperFX-grade NPC texturing), and kicked off an argument about how ugly it is instead. Look, I'm playing on an ultrabook with a GeForce 730M, I'm impressed that I can run anything more demanding than a ROM of Star Fox 64.

Oh yeah, I was so annoyed with the crappy healer in Doma Castle that I forgot to mention hitting level 50 on DRK last night. Holy crap, that final quest. :stare:

FF XIV needs a spinoff where we give in to the DARKNESS or whatever and go on excellent split-personality adventures with Fray picking up loot and telling NPCs to gently caress off.

Just wait til you get to the stormblood quest series.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Well, the emperor does need a new heir now that we killed the old one...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wacky Delly posted:

this is the real end game of ffxiv. We give into the prayers of eorzea and become a primal ourselves.

That's assuming we aren't one already in the first place

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I expect that when the game finally comes to an end, "The WoL is a Primal" will be the eventual conclusion.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I expect that when the game finally comes to an end, "The WoL is a Primal" will be the eventual conclusion.

Would we have a raid where we kill ourselves then?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

orcane posted:

That's why I said I liked early expansion FF14 the best, because there's not that much of a difference between gear- and content tiers yet, ie. you're not really catching up în the first place. It won't be as quick and easy halfway through the expansion, or towards its end, if you start with gear from half a year ago, and if they keep HW's design.

:thunk:

GW2 plot is very bad, vs. FF14's which is only bad. I agree that story is not GW2's strong point, but have to disagree with the rest of your post.

FF14 encounters are better on average, and more numerous but GW2 has some good and challenging group content and complex fights now, just not many/enough of them compared to a game doing nothing BUT those. So the fact GW2 is lacking them isn't due to fundamental differences in design, it's that their designers sucked/had other priorities. If they restrict how many people you can bring (raids, fractals) or simply require a full instance in the first place (Triple Wurm), the fights can be as involved as holy trinity fights. Their class design allows to have "tanks" and "healers" too, so they can even design actual trinity-based encounters.

The most laughable is your last statement. GW2 is full of options to cooperate and do stuff with friends, except it doesn't require groups or raids for a lot of it (sometimes not even a guild) which is its major draw - you can play "solo" but still interact and cooperate with other people, which is a thing FF14 doesn't do at all. GW2 also does the "play with different level friends" thing far better, the flipside is that GW2's options to do formalized group content with strangers are limited.

And finally, GW2's combat is not just action RPG simple stuff, if you want to be good at it (raid-good or PvP-good), it's very involved while avoiding all the fake complexity of FF14 with its dozens of abilities and combos. This is subjective to some extent but the games are still very much comparable.

Coulda woulda shoulda :v:

And no I wouldn't retract the last statement. The fact that there are cooperative options in GW2 doesn't change that it's a game heavily oriented towards the individual player faffing around in world content at their own pace, largely by themselves or through impromptu coop. That's not a condemnation, it's just different.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

That's assuming we aren't one already in the first place

Given that Y'shtola literally sees aether, I have this weird feeling that she would have called us out on that already.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I do wonder what the final storyline will be like, yeah.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Would we have a raid where we kill ourselves then?
The public's perception of us, maybe. We already know that the Primal summoned isn't an exact copy of the entity in question, but rather tweaked somewhat to suit the needs and beliefs of those who summon it. It'd be a fight where rather than having to surpass ourselves, we'd have to surpass our legend, which is really bad news when you think about how loosely those tend to mirror reality.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm glad none of you are actual scenario writers for this game

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
What if the final trial is a 8v8 pvp duel but with literally all of the Raid Mechanics happening at random.

Hope you fuckers know how to handle T9 divebombs

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Man, this game got really horny and violent after Yoshi hired that new writer off Something Awful.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

apostateCourier posted:

Given that Y'shtola literally sees aether, I have this weird feeling that she would have called us out on that already.

she fears our power, and rightfully so

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Fell Cleave Hydaelyn

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The final story arc is obviously gonna be about the WoL convincing Garlemald/Zodiark to play nice through a rousing game of Parley.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

apostateCourier posted:

Obviously she knows better since we generally kill things even worse than we are.

Countblanc posted:

she fears our power, and rightfully so

Also this.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Had a Red Mage just now in Shisui complain that i shouldn't be stance swapping because he kept ripping aggro off me in Deliverance. Once i told him i'm going to keep doing it because i like to do damage, he spent the entire next pull AFK typing out some long diatribe on how it's a leveling dungeon and it doesn't matter and i should learn how to "weave" Overpower into my DPS The pull he sat out was slightly slower, but suddenly there were no issues, no problems with the ninja or the healer taking aggro at all.

Why he waited until the last pull before the final boss is a bit of a mystery to me. Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like just randomly throwing in overpowers while in Deliverance is a bit of a waste since aggro gain sucks dick while you're in Deliverance and that is time that is better spent Fell Cleaving/Decimating.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The WoL's power level compared to random guards in the Azim steppe makes more sense of you assume that primals aren't that strong outside of tempering. Like you're notable for being able to solo them (gameplay aside) but a small squadron of GC chumps could do it if they weren't being tempered instantly

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it still doesn't really unless you think that Zenos is a primal - there's no way a handful of guards could take him out or threaten him in any way but the WoL + a few allies are able to best him.

if you need a story explanation for why the WoL doesn't just loving blam any rando who threatens them it's because it's not terribly heroic and you're trying to earn the faith of the citizenry, not just kill baddies.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What you have to understand is that VERY FEW things are super insanely overpowered. As Warrior of Light, our echo allows us to see the incoming attacks (as the orange glowing circles/other indicators). Tempering aside, we are able to do so tell against threats because the average person can't predict attacks like the Warrior of Light can. This was the power bestowed upon Zenos and Fordola.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

OneDeadman posted:

What if the final trial is a 8v8 pvp duel but with literally all of the Raid Mechanics happening at random.

Hope you fuckers know how to handle T9 divebombs

the final trial is a simple 8 man trial

but everyone has to have a good glamour or you instantly fail.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Countblanc posted:

it still doesn't really unless you think that Zenos is a primal - there's no way a handful of guards could take him out or threaten him in any way but the WoL + a few allies are able to best him.

if you need a story explanation for why the WoL doesn't just loving blam any rando who threatens them it's because it's not terribly heroic and you're trying to earn the faith of the citizenry, not just kill baddies.

Zenos himself wasn't insanely strong compared to the average mortal. He just had the ability to use the echo go predict attacks. Which will always give him an advantage against those that would attack him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The WoL is incredibly strong in any 1-on-1 circumstances but can and will be overwhelmed by large numbers. The WoL bringing friends along helps diminish this but it only takes one fuckup and that time your tank hyper-pulled half of a level and hosed up becomes real.

Large number of mooks are more dangerous to the WoL than single powerful forces. WoL can take Zenos but would eventually get crushed if they tried to solo the entire Doman Garlean forces without help. Bringing help along is why you fought manageable numbers and not crushing numbers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope shinryu ex has three phases where the first one is a souped up version of the zenos dungeon boss fight

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The story is going to be that Zodiark is right and he shouldn't have been separated from the cosmic balance but tried to fix it in a super rear end in a top hat way and once we kill him Hydelyn Momma Crystal will go super berserk with light since there's no more dark to fight it back (whether or not this is intentional or she's just stupid is 50/50 split) and we'll have to beat her back into dormancy and find a way to reset the balance because mysterious powers that be haven't been right since like...FF5?

Which is where the 'people's faith makes primals' and 'the world believes in the WoL as a savior' comes in and we use their faith to become new Zodiark.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 23, 2017

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Look it's simple. Elidibus' big plan is to get the other ascians to restore Zodiark so he can then take control of Zodiark like Zenos did to Shinryu and then temper the entire world to create his utopia

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The WoL's power level compared to random guards in the Azim steppe makes more sense of you assume that primals aren't that strong outside of tempering. Like you're notable for being able to solo them (gameplay aside) but a small squadron of GC chumps could do it if they weren't being tempered instantly

Yeah, but if you compare us to things other than primals that kinda goes out the window.

Gaius was presumably an incredible fighter, capable of taking out entire squadrons of soldiers in 1.0, and yet you tear him apart like he's nothing. Regula is blowing away trash mobs several at a time when you encounter him in ARF, to the point where the bodies are starting to pile up outside the room, but you still smoke his rear end no problem. And I really don't think "a small squadron of GC chumps" are going to take down Nidhogg, considering he was doing pretty well for himself after a thousand years of war with Ishgard.

The only good answer is to not try to compare everything because it's not that big of a deal, but dammit I'm sure as hell going to try :goonsay:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Augus posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, but if you compare us to things other than primals that kinda goes out the window.

Gaius was presumably an incredible fighter, capable of taking out entire squadrons of soldiers in 1.0, and yet you tear him apart like he's nothing. Regula is blowing away trash mobs several at a time when you encounter him in ARF, to the point where the bodies are starting to pile up outside the room, but you still smoke his rear end no problem. And I really don't think "a small squadron of GC chumps" are going to take down Nidhogg, considering he was doing pretty well for himself after a thousand years of war with Ishgard.

The only good answer is to not try to compare everything because it's not that big of a deal, but dammit I'm sure as hell going to try :goonsay:

The WoL didn't really take on Nidhogg either though. The first time they use Nidhogg's own eye against him and the second time they had Dadragon's eye instead.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The final scenario is the camera pulling out to reveal a Something Awful poster staring into a snowglobe of Eorzea

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Augus posted:

So as to not emptyquote, the whole WoL is a primal thing would be really obvious and boring and open more than a few plot holes w/r/t the Scions and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Today i learned that you can actually silence the iron giant's gently caress-you buff in O3S. After a month+ of working on it and getting our first clear yesterday.