Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Getting back into Doom after a break and the first thing I loaded up is Strange Eons with High Noon Drifter.

This is loving brilliant and could be it's own game. I love that Doom modding is still free, open and active in 2017 but I'd happily pay for something like this!

edit: Shadow Warrior 2013 is free on Steam again for some reason, http://store.steampowered.com/app/233130/Shadow_Warrior/

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Also, uh, Brink. Brink is now free. Yeah.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/31896/

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

No no no, you guys got it all twisted, you're supposed to release the buggy, unfinished free-to-play beta first, then put the big budget box out, then abandon development of the game. You did it all backwards!

Since apparently Splash Damage can do stuff like that in reverse, maybe they can Benjamin Button themselves back into a company that I respect.

[Ask] me about my Brink pre-order :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DoombatINC posted:

No no no, you guys got it all twisted, you're supposed to release the buggy, unfinished free-to-play beta first, then put the big budget box out, then abandon development of the game. You did it all backwards!

Since apparently Splash Damage can do stuff like that in reverse, maybe they can Benjamin Button themselves back into a company that I respect.

I have a Brink T-Shirt from some Quakecon, I think 2009. I wore it this weekend, and I guess that's why the game is free now.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ETPC posted:

Also, uh, Brink. Brink is now free. Yeah.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/31896/

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

DoombatINC posted:

Me too. Wolf: ET earned that, and they pretty much immediately squandered the good will.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The first reboot Shadow Warrior is up for free on Steam at the moment

http://store.steampowered.com/app/233130/Shadow_Warrior/

I played it about an hour ages back and hit a breaking bug, I should go back to it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I kinda want to try it, how's the singleplayer? Keep in mind that I quite enjoyed playing the ET: Quake Wars demo with bots, and done a bit of Wolf: ET with bots and enjoyed it too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I narrowly dodged the Brink bullet. It looked so cool in previews and I thought to myself "this is it, this is the next big thing" but luckily I had no money when it actually came out.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

also I saw this gallery:

http://imgur.com/gallery/4X17e

and thought of everyone's first attempt to texture a level in Build :eyepop:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

WolfenDoom Blade of Agony?

Yes! Thank you, this is the one I was looking for. Gonna give it a go later tonight.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

NoneMoreNegative posted:

also I saw this gallery:

http://imgur.com/gallery/4X17e

and thought of everyone's first attempt to texture a level in Build :eyepop:
Down to the textures stretched in one direction until they look ever so slightly not right.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Presumably it has a single fire extinguisher which blows up exposing a rocky tunnel down to a hidden submarine base

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 22, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hey, Brink was a good game despite the bugs, it just died because it was the Splash-Damage-iest game to ever Splash-Damage, which made it unplayable for anyone not playing as a coordinated team, and thus pure poo poo to 99% of people playing it.

When you had two actual competent teams it was great fun, they just didn't figure out that punishing poor teamwork isn't the right way to encourage teamwork. :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The actual shooting wasn't too hot and their "parkour" system was really really slow and bad. On console resulted on slow firefights that got boring after a while and on PC most ATI users couldn't even play the game and at that time they couldn't refund the game.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

They also never figured out how to balance weapons and classes against each other. Or how to make a character selection and progression system that makes any coherent sense. Or how to make heavy loadouts even vaguely viable. Or how to not have the defending teams' spawnpoints be on top of the objective and the attacking teams' be three servers over in a game of Soldier of Fortune 2. Did they ever get it playing correctly on ATI hardware? Did the netcode ever get stable enough for regular play? I know I was still having to quit and restart the game every couple rounds last time I installed it since it would start chugging and eventually crash after a while if I didn't.

Brink has so many fundamental problems to bring up that "pubbies suck at it" doesn't even make the b-list on the untelevised ceremony held days earlier and hosted by John Stamos.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I remember trying to play Brink at launch and for some reason they made it so that almost every multiplayer match also had a ton of bots and there was nothing you could do about it. It made multiplayer barely different than single player which just wasn't fun at all.

Also the maps were choke pointy as gently caress.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh yeah, Quake Champions is out of Early Access closed beta.

Also this jerk is in here too

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

ChickenHeart posted:

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh yeah, Quake Champions is out of Early Access closed beta.

Also this jerk is in here too

behold, Bethesda's canon 90's punished Doom Guy face:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Douk Douk posted:

Huh...well I have to give them credit, that's a pretty faithful recreation of circa 90's Doomguy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

What use even is a sound card in a modern computer these days, though? The built-in stuff on motherboards seems adequate enough now.

Sometimes motherboards can't drive a decent pair of headphones and you might want something to fix it that isn't hanging off a USB port.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Douk Douk posted:

:perfect:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

They really nailed Doom guy. He doesnt talk, his hero ability icon is the HUD face from Doom, and when you use his hero ability a song from Doom 2016 plays. I just wish they made his passive strafe running instead of the double jump, which seems like a big trap.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

iirc Brink had faster movement in earlier versions, it was made slower probably for consoles.

Last gen was easily the lowest point for the shooter genre.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i finally just realized how dumb doom guys armor is. why would the armor not block his stomach? why would they mold the armor around their troops stomachs?!?!?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Roobanguy posted:

i finally just realized how dumb doom guys armor is. why would the armor not block his stomach? why would they mold the armor around their troops stomachs?!?!?

What would armor stop that those righteous abs wouldn't???

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Roobanguy posted:

id's got you covered, fam

Also a nice detail on one of Ranger's accessories:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

id's got you covered, fam

nice

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Now if only they could somehow manage to get the rights to put Caleb and Corvus in Champions, and make it the perfect FPS crossover game. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Roobanguy posted:

It's visibly broken, it's not supposed to be that way. Either some enterprising demon broke off the ab armor or the abs themselves busted out because they were tired of being contained.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

the armour either has to be flexible or non-existent over the stomach in order to bend over to pick up ammo and medkits

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ChickenHeart posted:

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

I didn't know they owned the rights to Mystery Of The Druids

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

I didn't know they owned the rights to Mystery Of The Druids
Can't wait for Detective Halligan to be announced for Quake Champions.

His special would be stabbing his teammates with broken scissors, thereby killing the enemy team due to a very-poorly-worded promise made several hundred years in the past (no seriously what was that game).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Now if only they could somehow manage to get the rights to put Caleb and Corvus in Champions, and make it the perfect FPS crossover game. :allears:

They'd still be missing Duke...which would probably be for the best.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Shoehead posted:

They'd still be missing Duke...which would probably be for the best.

:(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
PC Gamer posted a cool article about weird early FPS games.

I'm not sure what's more bizarre: that an FPS based on the Forbes Magazine licence was even greenlit, that it came out in 1997, or that it literally does not appear to have any level design whatsoever. There aren't even any walls, just an infinite, empty flat expanse :wtc:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Convex posted:

PC Gamer posted a cool article about weird early FPS games.

I'm not sure what's more bizarre: that an FPS based on the Forbes Magazine licence was even greenlit, that it came out in 1997, or that it literally does not appear to have any level design whatsoever. There aren't even any walls, just an infinite, empty flat expanse :wtc:

quote:

Really though, every business transaction quickly boils down to ‘shoot a laser at it’, so it probably doesn’t matter much.

Checks out.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's visibly broken, it's not supposed to be that way. Either some enterprising demon broke off the ab armor or the abs themselves busted out because they were tired of being contained.

that just looks like a ripped shirt, probably from those ripped abs.

BattleMaster posted:

the armour either has to be flexible or non-existent over the stomach in order to bend over to pick up ammo and medkits

vacuum shoes, duh.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

vacuum shoes, duh.

This is even a perk on Doom 2016 so it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Guillermus posted:

The actual shooting wasn't too hot and their "parkour" system was really really slow and bad. On console resulted on slow firefights that got boring after a while and on PC most ATI users couldn't even play the game and at that time they couldn't refund the game.

I fully bought into the hype of this game on 360, and it was a complete mess on console also. It was unplayable due to various network issues for the first month or so, and by the time it was fixed it completely killed whatever playerbase it had.

I got burned.