Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Septx
Jan 5, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

Oh this one is just funny. Like the Three Stooges.

My [m/31] wife [f/29] of 3 years thinks my sister [f/21] is bullying her Relationships (self.relationships)

Subtle digs at his wife, or self-victimization? You decide!

I'd place my bet that it's the wife being incredibly insecure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Admiral Ray posted:

My [m/31] wife [f/29] of 3 years thinks my sister [f/21] is bullying her Relationships (self.relationships)

Lol wife is crazy.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

Wife is an insecure cray cray, next.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

LethalGeek posted:

Wife is an insecure cray cray, next.

So demanding.

Me [31 M] and my wife [34 F] (4 years) sync up each week with a weekly review, but aren't sure if we're doing it properly

quote:

u/mrdavey
Each week we have a 'weekly review'. Basically it goes over the week that just passed, the week that is coming up, and gives us a safe space to request or bring up certain things. We record our answers in a spreadsheet to keep the history. It works for us, but we're also wondering what other couples do, so we can learn/improve our process.

Do you do a weekly/monthly review with your partner? How do you structure it? What questions or things do you talk about during that time? Do you record it for posterity?

If you don't do weekly reviews, why not? Are we weird to be doing it?

TL;DR: Looking to improve our couples weekly review process. Need help with tips, suggestions, and lessons from other relationships.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milotic posted:

So demanding.

Me [31 M] and my wife [34 F] (4 years) sync up each week with a weekly review, but aren't sure if we're doing it properly

Honey, do to your excellent work ethic Im proud to let you know we will be promoting you to a new position in our east asia office.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I mean at least they're communicating

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Milotic posted:

So demanding.

"Your sexual productivity has fallen 5% in the last week. What's wrong? Is work stressful? In that same period, my physical attractiveness has increased by 1.2%, attentiveness by 4.11%, and my sexual endurance by a whopping 69%. Your numbers aren't good, dear, they just aren't good."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Weekly performance reviews over a couple of years is honestly more communication than some couples might do in 40 years of marriage.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I mean at least they're communicating

Yeah, I'm not one to judge - I do the same when I pray with my wife. It works for them.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not sure if that's too weird to override the fact that it might be effective. I'll be pondering that one for days.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Milotic posted:

So demanding.

I think these people are Vulcans.

e: Honestly it sounds kinda nice, just like a weekly chat to check in with each other. They just make it hella nerdy sounding with the spreadsheet and whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do they do icebreakers? Who writes the meeting agenda? Do they meet ahead of time to clean up the status report so its in a shareable format?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

COMRADES posted:

Honestly it sounds kinda nice, just like a weekly chat to check in with each other. They just make it hella nerdy sounding with the spreadsheet and whatever.

Yea the idea of "sit down and talk with your partner about your relationship once a week" is fine on its own, but don't pull out a loving spreadsheet like some EvE online goon.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I for one am happy that these two spergs found love for one another through shared spreadsheet use.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do they do quarterly reporting? When is the YoY meeting? Do they bring in outside consultants to look for efficiences?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Milotic posted:

So demanding.

http://conferencecall.biz/

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nerdy as it is there's some value to recording responses in a spread sheet over time for medical/health reasons if nothing else.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Gotta some updates

[Update] Crazy sovereign citizen neighbor bought a new baby mountain lion for a pet. Nothing but a chain link fence between us...legal?

quote:

Thanks for all the advice in the last post I made. Sorry that it was locked so fast, but I was getting way too many requests to dox my neighbor. He's a piece of poo poo (more on that later) but I'm still not wild about spreading his pictures or weird rear end homemade "legal" documents all over Reddit.

Onto the update: I ended up calling animal control who thought I was lying and hung up on me. Off to a great start. I then saw a poster telling me to call the game warden so I looked up the right division that we were in and gave them a call. GOOD NEWS! Our neighbors snitched before we did, or so I assume, because they didn't sound very surprised/hinted that they're familiar with him.

The rest that follows is strictly second hand information because neither my roommate or I were home when this went down. The neighbor that lives on the other side of him was and came over to fill us in.

Apparently deputies stopped by discreetly in the morning. Neighbors didn't even know that they were there, until they heard the furious bellow of: "GODDAMMIT (insert name of crazy neighbor here), PUT THAT COUGAR DOWN NOW!". Crazy neighbor went into one of his typical 'I do not abide by the government rants', only for him to cave when they threatened him with arrest and a nice comfortable stay in the county clink. He shrilled as they were taking the little guy away that his pet was being "unlawfully held" and he would be fighting to get him back.

Unsure about what kinds of penalties he'll be facing because of this. All I know is that he thinks that we ratted him out due to all the whining he's doing to some of the neighbors about how the "faggots" (because it's unnatural for two guys to roommates) that live next door made the illegal government come steal his illegal mountain lion. We're not too worried about him but we are installing cameras on the property just incase, despite his complaining about not consenting to being recorded. Not too sure about what happened to the little guy. I hope he's being raised in a nice place by people that aren't sovereign citizen hoarders and preferably not in Kansas.

Bye, Willy the baby mountain lion. You were a way better neighbor than your batshit temporary owner.

Minor update on these pesky volatile gummy bears case

quote:

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up sh

Whoops wrong one.

quote:

For the whole story: /r/legaladvice/comments/6uf72v/i_left_some_volatile_gummy_bears_on_the_desk_now/

We are still in Michigan. I had a ... I guess a fruitful conversation with HR yesterday.

My co-worker and I had separate interviews yesterday, no blaming, just telling what happened and how our workplace could be improved on in the future.

I make it quick, her side of the story looks like this: "HerbyCastle deliberately placed sweets laced with laxatives in the commonly shared office space to make me and other people sick"

My side: "I forgot my bowl with gummy bears which I gladly and generously share with everybody in my department, not assuming that anybody would eat the whole bowl of sugar free gummy bears"

That would be an Argumento ad common senso I assume in legal terms.

I even brought an original german gummy bears packet with me to prove that I didn't mean any harm. (true story though, my pants had been, were and and have been shat during the last couple of days and that without any laxative gummy bears...I hope these tenses fit)

Hard to believe but we talked during lunch yesterday and made up. She is a nice lady in fact but had issues with food allergies in the past.

And I would love to just close this story with a "we reconciled and everything was fine" but there was another mayor bit of a WOW!-moment in the room when I learnt that both hostile co-worker and me have already been put under "scrutiny" (HR words) by another assistant professor who had also had joined in our workshop project. Is this loving Game of Thrones?

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Keeping a journal has pulled my rear end out of the fire so many times in relationships. A written record is amazing to have for disarming stupid arguments.
Yeah it's a tiny bit weird to do it in Excel, but it's not damning or anything.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Milotic posted:

So demanding.

Keep your marriage agile with a quick 15 minute standup every morning and retrospectives every two weeks.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

COMRADES posted:

Nerdy as it is there's some value to recording responses in a spread sheet over time for medical/health reasons if nothing else.

These are called "medical records" and my doctor has them, I don't have to track my own.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

These are called "medical records" and my doctor has them, I don't have to track my own.

Nah dude I mean like you can pick up on subtle changes in mood/diet/energy or whatever and realize there is an issue and maybe couldn't hurt to go to the doctor for a check up. Catch a cancer early maybe.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
*puts on reading glasses, consults spreadsheet* hmmm. I'm gay.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

COMRADES posted:

Nah dude I mean like you can pick up on subtle changes in mood/diet/energy or whatever and realize there is an issue and maybe couldn't hurt to go to the doctor for a check up. Catch a cancer early maybe.

So on 2/15 you said you were fine, on 2/16 you said you were upset and then on 2/17 you said you were fine again.

I'd like to explore this discrepancy a bit more.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
South Dakota cross referenced College Grad Residents with purchasable Student Loan Debt, purchased the debt, and is now suspending Drivers Licenses for people with outstanding Debt. Help please. (self.legaladvice)

quote:

So - my GF Consiladated all her Student Loans a few years ago. Everything was fine. Except, for whatever reason, there was a single loan that didn't get consiladated. No problem - she had it on a payment plan.

Well, this week she gets a letter in the mail, from the state of South Dakota, telling her that her License would be suspended at the end of next month.

So she calls the number on the letter and finds out that the South Dakota State purchased her Loan debt (from a company based in Wisconsin). Because she now owes South Dakota money, and because SD passed a law recently that allows the state to suspend Licenses for people who owe the state money - they're suspending her drivers license because now, she owes the state of South Dakota money.

So she calls the original owner of her loan - and they confirm it.

The State of South Dakota scoured their citizens for college grads, cross-referenced those Citizen-Graduates with Purchasable Outstanding Student Loan Debt, purchased that debt, and are holding Drivers Licenses' against the debtors... at least that's what it looks like.

To make matters worse - my GF had 4 years left to pay on that loan, specifically. She'd setup a payment plan and was paying it off.

Now, however, the State has given her 20 months to pay off the entire debt. That's as deep as the state is willing to go on a payment plan. 20 months. So her payments went from something like >$100 a month to $330 a month.

Is there anything she can do? Is there any way to fight this? Is this even legal? Thanks.

Edit/Conclusion/Consensus: State can puchase individual private debt and use the powers of government to force payment (via suspension of licenses/liens). Really? Yes. Why? "It's not illegal." Best bet = Write Government Officials.

:capitalism:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
A Lawyer gave me bad advice, Immigration related[Singapore]

quote:

To start this off I have received enough snark, criticism, mocking and late advice to last me a life time. I did something stupid and I'm facing the consequences of such an action now I just want legal advice, not some stupid insult about how stupid it was for me to commit a crime

A party was held about five months past where when faced with peer pressure I did something highly inadvisable considering my jurisdiction and the law's written in the book. I inhaled minor quantities of a drug known as marijuana and further more committed gross indecencies with a woman a one year my junior. This decision was rather silly in hindsight but given my impairment, we both agreed to forget about things

Unfourtanley given that I possess low self-control due to a clinical diagnosis of ADHA I became addicted to the substance and continued to consume it discretely on several occasion using the money of my own gained from several legitimate business ventures and loans from friends and parents. I managed to successfully remain a top student while hiding my habit from all

However, I had forgotten about one bit of evidence and lewd photo stored on an iPhone in possession of the girl that was discovered by her parents after they had wiretapped her phone and used interrogation methods reserved for prisoners on her to get her to confess to the indecent incident

In blind outrage, they reported me to the police and I was detained and put on trial. My parents punished me severely and hired a lawyer to defend me. He negotiated an agreement where I would be placed on suspension and paid a fine but If kept good conduct I would be allowed to remain Singapore. I had told my lawyer that this wasn't my only crime but he still insisted that this was my best option. Bowing to his expertise I took the deal

However, evidence of my habit has surfaced to the school thanks to the scheming of a few backstabbers and it will almost certainly be reported to the police. I'm almost certainly going to face deportation and have to be sent away from singapore even if the goverment rules in my favour or shows mercy due to parental outrage.

My question pertains to having a case against my lawyer for offering such clearly bad advice? Could I use bad counsel as an argument to get damages from the lawyer or a retrial for my original crime?

I hate this kid

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

maskenfreiheit posted:

South Dakota cross referenced College Grad Residents with purchasable Student Loan Debt, purchased the debt, and is now suspending Drivers Licenses for people with outstanding Debt. Help please. (self.legaladvice)

Wow that's super hosed, do they see this going well? I feel like an exodus will happen.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fruit on the bottom posted:

I hate this kid
I hope he gets deported for being such an interminable fuckwit. "I inhaled minor quantities of a drug known as marijuana" jesus gently caress who talks like this

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

I hate this kid

1.) lol @ :airquote: legitimate business ventures :airquote:

2.) he should be happy they don't just kill him

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

maskenfreiheit posted:

Everyone with student loans should default on those loans.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

MF_James posted:

Wow that's super hosed, do they see this going well? I feel like an exodus will happen.

i guess the young buckaroos will flee to a more enlightened place like billings

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I hate this kid

I hope this kid goes to jail.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
hey guys found more cool posts be sure to like and subscribe

[MI] Guy used my email to sign up for Instagram, now threatening to sue me for it (self.legaladvice)

quote:

I have a common first name and a somewhat common German last name. I was a very early adapter of Gmail, got an account in 2004 (back when you needed an invite) and I managed to snag FirstLast@gmail.com where First and Last are obviously my first and last name. I was messing around with freelance web design at the time and a veteran web designer espoused to me the virtues of a freelancer/contractor having a clean FirstnameLastname@something email address so I jumped on it.

Over the years I occasionally get crap because people with my same name across the country just give my email address when pestered by a store or whatever to provide an email address. Occasionally also people will sign up for social media accounts with my name. Maybe this is wrong but I swoop in and password reset these accounts to teach the person a lesson about using an email address that isn't theirs to sign up for stuff. I should say I never mess with anything serious like a banking account or anything (nor have I ever received anything like this.) I'm talking Twitter, Facebook accounts, etc. I should say this happens once a year, not like a daily occurrence.

Today I get an email saying I signed up for an Instagram account. I already have one but today someone signed up for one using first.last@gmail.com. I swoop in and password reset it. The profile had a phone number. I text the guy saying "hey bud, firstlast@gmail.com is someone's email address. Please don't use it to sign up for stuff."

He replied "sorry my bad."

He then tried to reset the password for that account four times.

I knew where this was going so I blocked his number.

Got an email from the guy saying he was having trouble logging in. He'd change the email once he got into the account. He hates email and never uses it, he just thought no one used firstlast@gmail.com and it was okay if he signed up for "Insta" with it.

I told him I was too busy to mess around with this anymore, he'd have to create a new Instagram account, one with HIS email address. The screen name is nothing special (sort of gibberish thing based on our last name), he hadn't added any pictures or followed anyone so I figured this new, empty account is nothing special to him.

This is what I got back:

"Hey rear end in a top hat

How about you give me access to my Instagram. I know your name so it wouldn't be so hard to find out where you live and hack into your poo poo.

Maybe I'll just contact a lawyer and sue you for computer thieft [sic] instead."

I told him it was an Instagram account created with my email address and my legal name, it was mine now, it takes two seconds to create a new one, have a nice day. And blocked him via Gmail. But I saved a copy of the threats.

Can he sue me for something? I don't see how an empty, brand new Instagram account is worth anything.

pretty sure threatening to "hack into" someone's "poo poo" might be an offense, so yeah, winning strategy buddy!

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

I inhaled minor quantities of a drug known as marijuana

E:

quote:

Singapore

LOL

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

"Weekly review" is terminology from David Allen's Getting Things Done methodology, I'm not sure if it's also a term in other organizational systems or whatever.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

COMRADES posted:

HURR DURRR DID DRUGS IN SINGAPORE

LOL

Wow that is some next level stupid. I think we have a condenser for week's dumbest rear end in a top hat.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

WrenP-Complete posted:

"Weekly review" is terminology from David Allen's Getting Things Done methodology, I'm not sure if it's also a term in other organizational systems or whatever.

It also is a term for when you review things on a weekly basis. :cheeky:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hate this kid

They can straight up kill you for that and youre worried about anything else? You need to slink off back into the darkness and enjoy every minute of your life you have been blessed with.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

Unfourtanley given that I possess low self-control due to a clinical diagnosis of ADHA I became addicted to the substance 

Lmbo addicted to weed....in Singapore what a tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It also is a term for when you review things on a weekly basis. :cheeky:

Could be... they just seem very organized/regimented, so I thought they might have gotten it from somewhere. :shrug:

Edit: I was curious so I looked up the reddit user and yeah he's an author about that method in particular. Also works primarily in bitcoin. And a DJ.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 23, 2017