Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Sicilian posted:

The high speed model has no interior. much less that one.

I'm seriously in awe of your ability to poo poo on Tesla and its leadership when you have a crazy Chinese man as a main backer for both of these vaporware laden cars, only to walk away.

If and when Lucid gets to Tesla's stage (about to release a fourth model and 100k+ cars on the road) I'll hold them to the same standard to which I hold Tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ola posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aRbhWk99Xk

Interior lightened a bit. Having a tall enough diff or a gearbox should be on the agenda for that 'Ring record breaker, it topped out in the final straight.

I mean that's cool and all but it only demonstrates that they can produce a single cage-frame electric vehicle that can hit 235mph in a straight line when no consideration is given to any other factor. That's not in any way representative of the company's ability to make a mass-market (or even short-run luxury) street-legal electric vehicle.

I could probably build a car that could do that if someone gave me a couple million dollars and a machine shop.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

If and when Lucid gets to Tesla's stage (about to release a fourth model and 100k+ cars on the road) I'll hold them to the same standard to which I hold Tesla.

What? You must see the craziness of this statement.

Tesla has beaten all the odds, released numerous products and keeps on punching. Lucid air has released a video of a stripped down frame only car, claimed a production speed record for a car not yet released and promised $60k entry point pricing.

Put down the crack pipe and steady yourself, because this is mind boggling that you just made that statement.

EDIT: All this talk of interiors or ride characteristics. I'll hold tesla to those standards when they have sold as many cars as Audi or Mercedes.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 23, 2017

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Lucids car looks cooler

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

Whether I'm buying the very first car that a company makes or the millionth of their 8th iteration, I think I should evaluate them identically. It's not like manufacturers are giving discounts because they're still figuring stuff out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

drgitlin posted:

Lucid is vapourware until it sells the first car. You even said they don't have a factory to build these things - if anything you should be holding them to a vastly harsher standard just on that fact alone. And nor can anyone even guess what the final car will be ESPECIALLY when they don't have production facilities.

Lucid can promise to cure AIDS all it wants but until it's actually on the road, int he hands of a private driver it's just blowing smoke and should be treated with the cynicism that should attract, esp given the looooong history of failed new car company concepts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Maybe naming your company after a type of dreaming wasn't the best idea.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aRbhWk99Xk

Interior lightened a bit. Having a tall enough diff or a gearbox should be on the agenda for that 'Ring record breaker, it topped out in the final straight.

On the one hand, I was hoping they were pulling an Autorama Corvette trick. On the other, I'd like to see it make production so actually being able to move is good.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

On the one hand, I was hoping they were pulling an Autorama Corvette trick. On the other, I'd like to see it make production so actually being able to move is good.

I too would like to see this make production (unlike the fat gently caress 91 with its 90" width), but looking at this company with rose tinted glasses before it has released more than a video, a meager amount of proof of concept vehicles and more promises than star citizen is insane.

Btw, what's the status of the Chinese billionaire who's walking away from lucid and faraday future.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I mean that's cool and all but it only demonstrates that they can produce a single cage-frame electric vehicle that can hit 235mph in a straight line when no consideration is given to any other factor. That's not in any way representative of the company's ability to make a mass-market (or even short-run luxury) street-legal electric vehicle.

I could probably build a car that could do that if someone gave me a couple million dollars and a machine shop.

From my younger days: You could do it for 100K as ICE car that will last about 6 hours of run time tops. Probably could do it for 250K no problem electric if all you wanted to do is get up to that speed. These are all completely straight line only cars.

As to Lucid and Faraday, we'll see where they end up. I remember when Tesla just had a bunch of test sleds, so it is possible.

HFX fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 23, 2017

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question, so point me elsewhere if there's a better place.

I have a 2016 Nissan leaf S, I've been charging it with the charger it came with. We're having some electrical work done on my house and I have the option to install a charging station, and I'm not sure what the best thing to do here is - because the S doesn't support quick charging, is it even worthwhile to install a charging station? Is it a better idea to install a NEMA outlet instead so I have more versatility?

It's worth noting that the car is a lease, so I'm not necessarily going to keep it for ten years, although when the lease ends (~18mo) I'm likely to lease another Leaf.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

legendof posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question, so point me elsewhere if there's a better place.

I have a 2016 Nissan leaf S, I've been charging it with the charger it came with. We're having some electrical work done on my house and I have the option to install a charging station, and I'm not sure what the best thing to do here is - because the S doesn't support quick charging, is it even worthwhile to install a charging station? Is it a better idea to install a NEMA outlet instead so I have more versatility?

It's worth noting that the car is a lease, so I'm not necessarily going to keep it for ten years, although when the lease ends (~18mo) I'm likely to lease another Leaf.

All the Leaf-havers i know have one of these: https://openevse.com/

You'd still need some flavor of NEMA outlet, but it'd be less daily work to plug the car in than using the cord it comes with, and might go faster too.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the nissan website for the 2017 leaf says it charges at 3.6/6.6 kW which is dedicated circuit/funny looking plug territory. I'm not sure what 'charging station' entails here but from google it just looks like a dongle you plug into an outlet and hang on your wall, in which case I wouldn't pay an electrician to do that but I would pay them to do all the funny plug logistics

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

legendof posted:

The S has a 3.3kW charger w/o CHAdeMO if you don't get the charge package. Only you can decide if charging 2.5x as fast is worth it, but keep in mind your next Leaf will have a minimum 6.6kW (~30A @ 240V) charger so you may want to future proof. I like my JuiceBox Pro 40A because I enjoy the data/logging/remote start, but also because it'll charge a Leaf @ 6.6kW or a Tesla @ 9.6kW.

Personally, I'd install a 50A 240V circuit (NEMA 14-50, preferably, though it can be adapted) which will cover you for a long time.

Are you sure you're gonna opt for a 2018 Leaf over a Model 3 or Bolt?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Thanks, that's really helpful. For financial reasons I'm likely to stick with a Leaf vs a Bolt or Tesla.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

legendof posted:

Thanks, that's really helpful. For financial reasons I'm likely to stick with a Leaf vs a Bolt or Tesla.

Depending on where you live, the lease cost differential between a 2018 Leaf (when it arrives) and a Bolt may not be that big, just keep that in mind.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

call to action posted:

Personally, I'd install a 50A 240V circuit (NEMA 14-50, preferably, though it can be adapted) which will cover you for a long time.

This is the correct option, if you have the cash. Shouldn't be too bad, plus much faster charging.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
L2 (240v) is totally worth it for the home. CHAdeMO Is really overkill, agreed on the nema 14-50. I put in a 20amp from clipper creek for my volt and it's way better than the 120v.

Jimong5 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 24, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

call to action posted:

Depending on where you live, the lease cost differential between a 2018 Leaf (when it arrives) and a Bolt may not be that big, just keep that in mind.

some of us like the look of the leaf more :(

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
It's the holiday weekend and charging networks are showing the strain. Flew from van nuys to concord and rented a Model S to drive to NAPA. The Superchargers have been slammed but destination chargers are saving the day.

Anyone else experience this?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Nope, quite the opposite. The Texas "gas crisis" has me sitting pretty. Saw someone walk over and pickup a pizza while waiting in line for gas on the street.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The gas shortage is partially caused by people hoarding gas they don't even need. This is why price gouging should be legal. I'm a fill up the car I haven't driven for 6 months.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elephanthead posted:

The gas shortage is partially caused by people hoarding gas they don't even need. This is why price gouging should be legal. I'm a fill up the car I haven't driven for 6 months.

THERES A HURRICANE COMING, I NEED EIGHT CASES OF BOTTLED WATER FOR EACH PERSON IN MY FAMILY.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Elephanthead posted:

Or we can...just ban people filling a carful of plastic containers?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Lawn mowing companies need gas too

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Haha holy poo poo, just realized how fanatical and angry this came across. Like all my posts, they are banged out quickly between bouts of work.

Read the quoted post below in all its glory.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 5, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Agreed rations also work but then I can't drive my 454 chevette very far. Freedom1!!! Letting the price be $50 a gallon lets people choose. (Except the poor they are hosed to die).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Sicilian posted:

Our resident AR's writer has posted a new infuriating ad for the Chevy Bolt. My favorite part is the lack of disclosure or press junket in the article about being flown out, fed, put in hotels and given a "completely normal" Bolt.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/09/turns-out-the-chevy-bolt-is-a-lot-of-fun-to-autocross/

You must be kidding...

Enjoy sucking off GM, wouldn't want to miss out on these exclusive test drives.

EDIT: Gitlin claims in the comments in regards to junket disclosure and his lack thereof: "They are, and the fact that you don't see one here means we paid for our own travel and hotel."

Wow! Mighty nice of you to do all that to write a puff piece for Chevy.

Wired has been caught doing this recently for Chevy as well, this is really lame to do for a company because they buy ad space on your site.

EDIT 2: ELECTREK has a similar article where they autocross the Bolt and say,

"Full disclosure: the automaker paid for my transport, lodging, and fed me during my stay in Detroit (thanks!). They brought a bunch of automotive journalists to an empty lot just outside of Detroit where they set up an autocross track."

So why would it be any different for your ARs Technica?

https://electrek.co/2017/09/05/chevy-bolt-ev-autocross-event/

Like, is this your first day or something? Were you by any chance homeschooled?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Finger Prince posted:

Like, is this your first day or something? Were you by any chance homeschooled?

Sorry I thought there were laws and regulations about press junkets and disclosure when something is being done as an advertisement rather than a news story.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Sicilian posted:

Sorry I thought there were laws and regulations about press junkets and disclosure when something is being done as an advertisement rather than a news story.

So, yes then.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Finger Prince posted:

So, yes then.

LOL, this isn't Motortrend with the gotta-have-it factor, or whatever bullshit metric they used to push advertiser's cars ahead of the rest of the pack, this is wholesale deceptive advertising.

And coming from the man who defended Lucid Air as saying, I will hold them to standards like production or other standard metrics only when they have sold as many models as Tesla. Get a clue, this is dishonest to bad automotive journalism.

A GM press releases is more objective.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

LOL, this isn't Motortrend with the gotta-have-it factor, or whatever bullshit metric they used to push advertiser's cars ahead of the rest of the pack, this is wholesale deceptive advertising.

And coming from the man who defended Lucid Air as saying, I will hold them to standards like production or other standard metrics only when they have sold as many models as Tesla. Get a clue, this is dishonest to bad automotive journalism.

Stop posting.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

drat don't get on the wrong side of the tesla mafia

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Are you like stalking this guy or something?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Ola posted:

Stop posting.

I'll leave it at this, Gitlin is as bad or worse than Elektrek; even a disclosure stating they paid for their airfare, accommodations and travel to and from the track; differing from other publications taking part in the test, would have been better this schlock.

Anyone else surprised the i3 didn't get a range update?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Sicilian posted:

Well I don't know about you, but I am shocked, shocked! that the author of this hotel review in this inflight magazine neglected to mention they were being plied with free drinks all night when they described the bartender Bruno's Cuba Librés as "sublime". I have been to that hotel and despite the several over priced and frankly average rum and cokes I drank, Bruno still refused my advances. Disgusting journalism. I'm cancelling my subscription.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Finger Prince posted:

Well I don't know about you, but I am shocked, shocked! that the author of this hotel review in this inflight magazine neglected to mention they were being plied with free drinks all night when they described the bartender Bruno's Cuba Librés as "sublime". I have been to that hotel and despite the several over priced and frankly average rum and cokes I drank, Bruno still refused my advances. Disgusting journalism. I'm cancelling my subscription.

So were these Instagrammer "influencers" who the FTC reached out to, reminding them of the mandatory disclosure rules.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/04/ftc-staff-reminds-influencers-brands-clearly-disclose

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Show us the birth certificate GM.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Sicilian posted:

So were these Instagrammer "influencers" who the FTC reached out to, reminding them of the mandatory disclosure rules.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/04/ftc-staff-reminds-influencers-brands-clearly-disclose

So write a loving letter, nobody cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GM did 9/11

• Locked thread