Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I imagine giving Orchynx Leech Seed was just meant to be a low effort solution to that pesky problem where it has a pretty good chance of getting dunked on by the water starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Nihilarian posted:

Ah, so the threat of legal action wasn't enough to stop them from working on the game. My mistake.

I mean, the current "team" isn't the same group that released the game, afaik. It's just the game is stupidly easy to take apart and tweak because it's an RPG Maker XP game.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Was... was Poison not already super-effective against Nuclear? :psyduck: Am I misremembering? I thought the whole Nuclear gimmick was "strong against everything, weak to everything".

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
So they patched the game and didn't consider fixing the whole, like, crashing the game on Nuzlocke if you (easily) lose the very first fight if you pick the Grass starter?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

GeminiSun posted:

Was... was Poison not already super-effective against Nuclear? :psyduck: Am I misremembering? I thought the whole Nuclear gimmick was "strong against everything, weak to everything".

Poison, for reasons unfathomable, was the only type that was not super effective against Nuclear.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Epicmissingno posted:

The clearly unfinished nature of this part of the game could also explain why it's so ridiculous - there was probably very little or no testing for the fight itself because there just wasn't enough time.

Nine years of development.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Way back from https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemonuranium/comments/6ryq5c/im_involuntary_twitch_one_of_the_original/ This was the only question in that entire thread that even acknowledged how stupid the tiko fight is

quote:

Really. That's all you got to say about inflate gah?

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 23, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Tiko always seems a bit... racist? I don't know what exactly is pinging me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tired Moritz posted:

Tiko always seems a bit... racist? I don't know what exactly is pinging me.
Other than the part where his entire concept is "he's a man...in a SKIRT! and also wearing earrings"?

I guess it's handled better than how, say, Clover would have done it, but it's still done in a gross "ha ha this is funny joke, please laugh, please" way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

Other than the part where his entire concept is "he's a man...in a SKIRT! and also wearing earrings"?

I guess it's handled better than how, say, Clover would have done it, but it's still done in a gross "ha ha this is funny joke, please laugh, please" way.

I read it more as "look how inclusive we are. Isn't it great? We have a MAN in a SKIRT and nobody's making fun of him! We're so progressive for including him!"

e: which admittedly is a good writer away from being actually inclusive so I'm inclined to think their hearts were in the right place and they just suck at writing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's you

you're the rocket man

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dude, spoilers.

Even if they are really obvious ones, they're still spoilers.

Blaze Dragon posted:

This was realy stupid and bad when Game Freak did it and it's just as stupid and bad here. In fact, it may be even worse, because at least Game Freak had no past data to say if it'd be a good idea or not (as much as common sense alone screams "no, it's not a good idea to force the player to restart in a game with a single save slot and several things they need to keep for the next game, all so they can play in another difficulty mode") while the Uranium devs must know how people felt about that in Black 2/White 2.

This is such a stupid decision. Why? I could maybe understand it in Reborn, which hates the player and gives them very few choices that barely work in the context of the game proper so a randomizer would significantly ruin the developers' lovely attempts at difficulty and greatly change the terrible experience, but here it's just bizarre.

Uranium has four save slots, actually.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The randomizer is indeed random.

It's more fun than normal Uranium because I'm getting too much exp.

Changelog didn't mention allowing nuclear pahar to be part of the game. :thunk:

Anway, I can assemble this team before the second gym so randomizer is the way to go.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Wouldn't anything with Sturdy completely shut down the Cheetahmen, or is it too bulky to instagib with EQ?

I honestly forget if Geodude or Geodude 2.0 show up in Uranium anywhere.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rainuwastaken posted:

Wouldn't anything with Sturdy completely shut down the Cheetahmen, or is it too bulky to instagib with EQ?

I honestly forget if Geodude or Geodude 2.0 show up in Uranium anywhere.

Two things have Sturdy in the Tandor Dex. One is Gararewl, which is mono-steel. The other is Astronite, which has significant hurdles. One, it needs a positive nature, maxed EVs, high IVs, and a Life Orb to have a chance to OHKO with Power Gem, which is unreliable. Second, Tiko's Inflagetah knows U-Turn and is always faster.

So at best you have a 3/8 chance of failure, and at worst it doesn't even work. This isn't counting that this is one of two priority spammers on Tiko's team and there's also the Chimaconda which is even meatier.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
So... how high does the Power Level wankery get with the legendary pokemon relative to inflate gah?

Just in vague terms, however I won't be too shocked if we get something with a 255 in a base stat at this rate.

MR. J fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 23, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So at best you have a 3/8 chance of failure, and at worst it doesn't even work. This isn't counting that this is one of two priority spammers on Tiko's team and there's also the Chimaconda which is even meatier.

I'm far from familiar with how trainers work but I was under the impression they sent the same pokemon out in the same order every time. I figured the cheetah would be his trump card, so it would come out last and you could just sack whoever was active to get Sturdyboy out. At least being mono-steel would push the AI away from U-turning out, since it can get that sweet SE fire attack?

I also made the mistake of thinking Megacheetah was a glass cannon, not 85/80/80. Such a great pokemon. :shepicide:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MR. J posted:

So... how high does the Power Level wankery get with the legendary pokemon relative to inflate gah?

Just in vague terms, however I won't be too shocked if we get something with a 255 in a base stat at this rate.

As far as Base Stat Totals, OFS has run four of the five strongest pokemon at this point (Mega forms of Inflagetah, Syrentide, Electruxo, and Baariette). The strongest pokemon is Urayne, whose stats actually minorly lag behind the strongest that the official games have released (Mega Mewtwo/Mega Rayquaza, Primal Kyogre/Groudon).

On the flip-side, the four megas I mentioned are all about as strong, BST-wise, as (non-mega) box-art legendaries, so :shrug:

Nothing in the game has a 255 base stat, though there's a few with 180s in places.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 23, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'm far from familiar with how trainers work but I was under the impression they sent the same pokemon out in the same order every time.
Assuming it works anything like the games, their first mon is fixed but after that they'll try to send stuff out to counter your active mon.

I think they just go in order if they don't have a good counter or if all their mons are equally good against yours, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Does the Pokemon Essentials package even have trainer AI that advanced yet? I know the main games themselves considerably stepped up some of the trainer AI in the more recent games.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Fetus posted:

Does the Pokemon Essentials package even have trainer AI that advanced yet? I know the main games themselves considerably stepped up some of the trainer AI in the more recent games.

I've looked at the AI script. It's a lot of damage estimation even in switching too. You'll notice in the first fight Tiko went firoke > pajay > archilles, but in the rematch he went firoke > archilles > belliadon > pajay, seeing the chances for a KO off of Earthquake and Crunch (or maybe Flare Blitz, Beliaddon does have 145 base attack and there was sun) before just going down the line. CURIE's Mega Baariette was their second Pokemon, so the mega evolution doesn't have to be last.

So presumably if Tiko saw a chance to OHKO off of U-Turn that didn't exist elsewhere in the team - Astronite is the most likely case of this actually - I presume he'd send in Inflagetah before the last.

Mega Evolution AI is simply "if able, then do".

MR. J posted:

Mega Inflagetah's base stat distribution is 85/145/80/80/90/175. Its mostly a case of extremely lopsided stats.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mega Inflagetah's base stat distribution is 85/145/80/80/90/175. Its mostly a case of extremely lopsided stats.

Which, we should remember, are basically Deoxys-S stats if it just got a bunch added into HP/Attack and uh lost 5 in speed.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The horrible psychic alien abomination that uses cosmic radiation to min-max itself? Yeah, our jet cheetah is faster.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok.

1) A faster, stronger Mega Inflagetah.
2) A pokemon with Flash Fire.
3) ???

These are the possible ways to get around Tiko that I am aware of.
I did not bump into that dingus on my game and the world is a better place for it.
Goddamnit Uranium, despite all your flaws I still wanted to like you.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I forget, which Pokemon in Uranium has Flash Fire or a similar ability?

But yeah, that fight is just awfully designed. The ways you have to deal with that broken mega are really limited.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Fetus posted:

I forget, which Pokemon in Uranium has Flash Fire or a similar ability?

Tiko's Inflagetah has a ridiculously good chance of OHKOing level 70 Pajays with Extreme Speed. You need maxed IVs and either nature or defense EVs just not get bodied instantly.

Once you get past that, it takes max investment and at least a Life Orb or Mystic Water to consistently 2HKO said Inflagetah with a super effective Hidden Power, and Choice Specs to get Air Slash to the same. No item boost dooms them to 3HKOs. A Flash Fire boost with Sun and Choice Specs can get Overheat to a OHKO.

This is all assuming 31 IVs in HP, Defense, and Special Attack at level 70 with a Modest nature. Anything else and you get the 1-perhaps-2 punch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does anyone play Uranium multiplayer? Does Mega-Inflagetah just run roughshod over the entire meta or does it have at least one real counter?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Tiko's Inflagetah has a ridiculously good chance of OHKOing level 70 Pajays with Extreme Speed. You need maxed IVs and either nature or defense EVs just not get bodied instantly.

Once you get past that, it takes max investment and at least a Life Orb or Mystic Water to consistently 2HKO said Inflagetah with a super effective Hidden Power, and Choice Specs to get Air Slash to the same. No item boost dooms them to 3HKOs. A Flash Fire boost with Sun and Choice Specs can get Overheat to a OHKO.

This is all assuming 31 IVs in HP, Defense, and Special Attack at level 70 with a Modest nature. Anything else and you get the 1-perhaps-2 punch.

I guess the ideal Pokemon for this would be a Ghost-type with Flash Fire. It's a shame, then, that Chandelure isn't in Uranium otherwise it might be able to hard counter that Mega Inflagetah.

Of course, that's just Tiko's one. It's already been demonstrated that they can learn Earthquake, so have fun with finding a reasonable counter in competitive play!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:catstare:

What the everloving gently caress?

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

GeminiSun posted:

Like I was surmising earlier, that's probably why they changed the grass starter to have Leech Seed off the bat; it should be fairly simple to win the damage race once it's up.

It's a lazy fix, but it does what it needs to do.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

Does anyone play Uranium multiplayer? Does Mega-Inflagetah just run roughshod over the entire meta or does it have at least one real counter?

People don't even play Balanced Hackmons, why would they play this Very Bad No Good meta.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Epicmissingno posted:

I guess the ideal Pokemon for this would be a Ghost-type with Flash Fire. It's a shame, then, that Chandelure isn't in Uranium otherwise it might be able to hard counter that Mega Inflagetah.

It also knows U-Turn. And Chandelure isn't exactly sturdy with a base 60 HP. Even with a 4x resistance to Bug, it might get two-shot, and that's an issue when it's:
a) faster
b) not the last pokemon.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Would having Stealth Rock up shave a hit off of any of those 2HKOs or 3HKOs?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

KataraniSword posted:

It also knows U-Turn. And Chandelure isn't exactly sturdy with a base 60 HP. Even with a 4x resistance to Bug, it might get two-shot, and that's an issue when it's:
a) faster
b) not the last pokemon.

According to Showdown's damage calculator this particular Inflagetah will do 14.6% of a level 70 Chandelure's HP at best with an unbuffed U-Turn. This is with rock-bottom HP and Defence IVs on the Chandelure, by the way. At worst it will do 4.8%, but why would you ever max out Chandelure's HP and Defence? Meanwhile Chandelure spamming Shadow Ball will probably get a three-hit KO on Inflagetah if it has middling stats, a two-hit KO if it has good stats, and a four-hit KO with the worst possible stats.

You're right about at least one thing, though: if Inflagetah isn't the last of Tiko's Pokemon a Chandelure would probably be screwed anyway.

Edit: In case I wasn't clear, this is specifically for countering Tiko's Inflagetah, not any of his other Pokemon.

Epicmissingno fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 23, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Epicmissingno posted:

According to Showdown's damage calculator this particular Inflagetah will do 14.6% of a level 70 Chandelure's HP at best with an unbuffed U-Turn. This is with rock-bottom HP and Defence IVs on the Chandelure, by the way. At worst it will do 4.8%, but why would you ever max out Chandelure's HP and Defence? Meanwhile Chandelure spamming Shadow Ball will probably get a three-hit KO on Inflagetah if it has middling stats, a two-hit KO if it has good stats, and a four-hit KO with the worst possible stats.

You're right about at least one thing, though: if Inflagetah isn't the last of Tiko's Pokemon a Chandelure would probably be screwed anyway.

He's got belladon or whatever and he's Fire/dark and he'd probably make mincemeat of Chandelure.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
Uranium just makes me wish I knew how I could try to pry open TPDP and see if I can check the EVs/IVs on some of the Puppet Masters in there.
I mean, it'd be nothing as absurd as this, but it makes me curious...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Epicmissingno posted:

Edit: In case I wasn't clear, this is specifically for countering Tiko's Inflagetah, not any of his other Pokemon.

Admittedly I don't have the damage calculators right on hand, I'll defer to those with the actual math. :shobon: Still, yeah, trying to handle it as like the second pokemon in would be a logistical nightmare.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Epicmissingno posted:

Then it would just mean that every single team in the game needs both an inflate-a-tiger and a Chandelure and it becomes a game of cat-and-mouse on baiting out one or the other.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MR. J posted:

Then it would just mean that every single team in the game needs both an inflate-a-tiger and a Chandelure and it becomes a game of cat-and-mouse on baiting out one or the other.

I played 4th gen, back when we had Garchomp.

That isn't fun at all, and Inflagetah would be so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I was going to say it sounds awfully familiar saying that but my memory was failing me. Yeah Garchomp was loving bad.

I guess Excadrill counts as that too, though I only fought the gym leader one, which was still a terrible experience.

• Locked thread